Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I read an article earlier from a Doctor in the US stating the rate of myocarditis after vaccination is tiny and young people should get the vaccine as the rate of myocarditis from covid for young people is 1 to 3%.

Surely that's bs? 1 to 3%. Wouldn’t entire health systems collapse if 3% of young people with covid developed myocarditis? Any idea what the rate is? I haven't been able to find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its what we should be doing here but that idiot Martin for some reason thinks it would be too confusing, meanwhile theres multiple studies showing its incredibly effective

Which idiot Martin? I agree we should be mixing vaccines, but NIAC recommended otherwise. I'm not aware of any government in Europe which has overruled its own vaccine experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭larchielads

Registerd saturday, got appointment today for thurs mornin. Age 38 in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Its what we should be doing here but that idiot Martin for some reason thinks it would be too confusing, meanwhile theres multiple studies showing its incredibly effective

Its nothing to do with Martin he cannot do it unless NIAC give the approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Double whammy today,
    Mentioned to the GP today that my wife 32 as well (same gp) hadn’t got the vaccine, said he’d see what he could do and she just got the phone call and is getting jabbed same time as my self Thursday week. What a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

celt262 wrote: »
    Would it not have slowed the whole vaccination program down?

It certainly would - we have 400,000 AstraZeneca doses almost ready to go and be administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I read an article earlier from a Doctor in the US stating the rate of myocarditis after vaccination is tiny and young people should get the vaccine as the rate of myocarditis from covid for young people is 1 to 3%.

Surely that's bs? 1 to 3%. Wouldn’t entire health systems collapse if 3% of young people with covid developed myocarditis? Any idea what the rate is? I haven't been able to find anything.

A lot of cases don't require hospitalisation (or are even noticed by people). It sounds scary, but mostly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Tyrone212 wrote: »

It would depend on how bad the Myocarditis is as far as I'm aware, you might not know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Really peed off I bothered to register and ending up getting the AZ vaccine. Should have waited to get the JJ and be done with it. Even getting the Pfizer one would have put me in a better place. Stupid really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

degsie wrote: »
    Really peed off I bothered to register and ending up getting the AZ vaccine. Should have waited to get the JJ and be done with it. Even getting the Pfizer one would have put me in a better place. Stupid really.
    Please FAO. What are you so upset about?

And left yourself unprotected for months waiting for it? Doesn't sound very sensible to me.

Nobody has a crystal ball, we have to make the decision that's right for us at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

seamus wrote: »
    They always will have that choice. There has never been a mandatory vaccination programme.

Any rollout will be done through the schools, but will require parental consent for all students under 18.

I don't think that's true, for healthcare decisions those rights become available at the age of 16 I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm 38. Registered today, got appointment for Monday in Gorey for Pfizer. Very quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mike222

That is fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Anyone any estimates on how many in their 30s will likely refuse a vaccine? Have a mate saying he’s not getting it, “don’t need it”, and it’s driving me up the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Qrt wrote: »
    Anyone any estimates on how many in their 30s will likely refuse a vaccine? Have a mate saying he’s not getting it, “don’t need it”, and it’s driving me up the wall!

I know someone else as well saying the same thing. Another excuse from them is because they are young. I used to think it was selfish of them because apparently you can still catch covid with the vaccine, so really do not know what to think anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Qrt wrote: »

Reports yesterday show yesterday that 90% of 25-34 year olds intend to get the vaccine. (Of course papers sold it as 10% wont).

It appears our vaccine take up will be amongst the highest in the world based on current take ups plus the polls on those still waiting. You'll always have those against for various reasons and small number who can't for health reasons. The key is to get the highest % of population done to achieve herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Angela Merkel is after getting a Moderna second dose after getting a first dose of AstraZeneca.

Its been happening in Spain and a few other countries now, the two vaccine technologies, viral and mRNA have strong potential for combination. The AZ production of those all important t-cell antibodies, is very very good indeed, along with spike proteins of mRNA are being viewed as a good combination, from what I have seen and read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I know someone else as well saying the same thing. Another excuse from them is because they are young. I used to think it was selfish of them because apparently you can still catch covid with the vaccine, so really do not know what to think anymore.

You can still get measles after the mmr
    You can still get meningitis after the menb vax
    You can still get any illness/disease you have ever been vaccinated against. But the vast majority don't. And if you don't have it you can't spread it. If you do catch it after the vax the chance of spreading it is very small. That's a spin line from anti vaxxers, they took what was said and twisted it to suit their narrative and then its spread as fact by many who don't even know who twisted it in the first place.

Yes, the combined technologies of the mRNA and known AZ strength in those all important t-cell antibodies is indeed shown in multiple studies to be very effective. The studies have been very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Only sitting down to the computer now but was supposed to get a jab on Wednesday of last week, I had to cancel at the last minute as I couldn't get anyone to look after my daughter. Got a text a day or two later to tell me I had an appointment for Sunday at the Helix.
    It went very smoothly, fair play to all involved. It was very well set-up.

43 year old male in north county Dublin.

Why? You will have a degree of protection, whereas you may well wait some time before you would have received JJ.

This article mentions 60% for JJ for Delta.

https://coronavirus.nautil.us/johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-against-delta-variant/

The vaccines are designed to reduced the numbers of people of illness and ending up in hospital with serious Covid. The more people are vaccinated, the greater chance of not spreading it to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

What do studies show about the 2 dose AZ vaccine for protection against the Indian variant? :confused:
    Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why? You will have a degree of protection, whereas you may well wait some time before you would have received JJ.

This article mentions 60% for JJ for Delta.

https://coronavirus.nautil.us/johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-against-delta-variant/
    How does that 60% break down? 40% of the vaccinated may get it as if they have no protection? 40% may get it but with lower chances of hospitalisation and/or death? 60% on its own isn't very informative. The article isn't very informative either. Never mind the all too usual doom laden stuff at the end.

In a recent viral Twitter thread, Dr. Robert Wachter—the chair of the University of California, San Francisco’s department of medicine—wrote, “If you’re fully vaxxed, I wouldn’t be too worried, especially if you’re in a highly vaxxed region … If you’re not vaccinated: I’d be afraid. Maybe even very afraid.”

If you're elderly, immune compromised or with comorbidities like cardiovascular disease obesity, diabetes then maybe "be afraid, be very afraid". Yer man's watched too many Hollywood movies methinks. Even in India where this variant kicked off and medical care can be patchy at best and to put it mildly the death rate is 1% of those tested positive cases. The rate of untested infection, especially in somewhere like India is going to be much higher again. That's the official death rate of course, there have been accusations of under reporting by local authorities and even over reporting by others. India has widespread corruption. Big shock. It's hard to get breakdowns by age, comorbidities and other factors too. Unless the Indian variant is markedly different it will almost certainly be the same demographics, age and health profiles that will be the vast majority of this pox's victims and the ones most at risk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

PMBC wrote: »
    What do studies show about the 2 dose AZ vaccine for protection against the Indian variant? :confused:
    Thanks

Reuters
    AstraZeneca vaccine effective against COVID-19 variants identified in India

13 hours AGO

90PC GREAT SUCCESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thanks
    It offers at least 90% protection against hospitalisation. At least in bold, as it is likely that this protection will increase over time.
    In short, as with all vaccines, it works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks
    88% apparently. Put it another way unless you're over 70/chronically ill/bloody unlucky you'd be fine after actually contracting Covid 19 without a vaccine, with a vaccine the risks of serious illness, hospitalisation and death are vanishingly small. You'll be fine.

I could understand the panic around this pox this time last year when we knew so little and the world was crying out for more and more ventilators because they were the answer(remember that?) and we had few enough treatment options and didn't know how it would run through the population and we had no vaccines. The panic today is beginning to get a little daft when we know so much more, know who is likely to suffer from this if they catch it and even in the highest risk groups the vast majority recover and we have vaccines that reduce those risks even further and by a substantial degree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement