Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This was only ever about preventing people dying in field hospitals. Everyone is rightly fked off with restrictions.

So long as we don't have cases flooding into hospitals and loads of people dying (which we won't, thanks to the vaccines) people are just going to accept the low level risks and the potential to get a bit of a dose of covid and get on with their lives as normal.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

It offers at least 90% protection against hospitalisation. At least in bold, as it is likely that this protection will increase over time.
    In short, as with all vaccines, it works.

PHE published c92% protection against hospitalisation for AZ after second injection and 96% for Pfizer after second injections. Both were c 33% after the 1st vaccinations.

I think I read Moderna 33% at 1st vaccination, the second c88% protection against serious illness and hospitalisation.
    Hence it so critical to get second vaccination injections.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021/06/21/second-shot-of-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-necessary-to-protect-against-more-contagious-delta-covid-19-variant-health-officials-say/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sky King wrote: »
    This was only ever about preventing people dying in field hospitals.
    Remember them? Field hospitals that sprang up overnight in China and then in Europe. The British fired up a few in double quick time run by the army. AFAIR they were never or very rarely used. Which is a bloody good thing. Then there was the worldwide panic drive for the magical ventilators with Elon Musk getting his 15mins of fame on twitter(as usual) saying he'd build/supply them. And promptly didn't. When was the last time we need more ventilators! was a meme? That was then and we were dead right to panic and we were dead right to impose lockdowns and all the other precautions.

Today? That level of panic is no longer justified by any stretch of the imagination. I'm still fully behind masks in public indoor spaces, hand hygiene, testing and basic precautions and now vaccines and was in favour of them since the get go and often got static for it in this forum and not just from the Freemen anti "muzzles" eejits either. However I'm not in favour of more lockdowns. And I'll bet the farm now that we'll have another come winter when we see some sort of statistical peaking again and with the talk of more variants. Fine, but we need to switch off panic mode and start bloody living again IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

37, registered Sunday. Got a text yesterday giving me an appointment on Monday 28th, in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

37, registered Sunday. Got a text yesterday giving me an appointment on Monday 28th, in Gorey.

Seem to be flying in Wexford, still waiting at 40 in south Dublin.

• Advertisement

Has Dublin ground to a halt or something? Rest of the country is flying ahead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Has Dublin ground to a halt or something? Rest of the country is flying ahead.

Citywest is only doing 2nd doses this week, until at least Sunday.

spockety wrote: »
    Citywest is only doing 2nd doses this week, until at least Sunday.

My three weeks is coming up this Sunday. Not sure what I'm supposed to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I rang them yesterday (Day 21) and was told they could only 'escalate' 5 days after Day 21. So no idea what the 'three weeks' is in aid of.. it's actually 26 days in reality not 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I rang them yesterday (Day 21) and was told they could only 'escalate' 5 days after Day 21. So no idea what the 'three weeks' is in aid of.. it's actually 26 days in reality not 21.

Rang them this morning over being high risk and seeing if I could get a vaccine quicker and was told it is actually 3-5 weeks after registering and I have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

I think they are making it up as they go.
    I rang them yesterday (20 days after registering) and the guy raised two cases for me and my wife to escalate us to some high priority team.

Has anyone worked on the day they got their first vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, I had to be back at work within a half an hour. Are you worried about side effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By all accounts, you're talking 4-12 hours before any side effects begin to kick in. It takes time for your body to create enough proteins to stimulate an immune response.

You should consider the next day as potentially being out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I got Pfizer first dose at 10am.
    Took paracetamol when got home but brain fog, fatigue and temperature variations descended by lunchtime so the afternoon was a write off.
    Didn't sleep great that night, managed to get through work the next day though zoned out at times.

Taking paracetamol before the jab might help I've heard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

revelman wrote: »
    Yes, I had to be back at work within a half an hour. Are you worried about side effects?

Yes, I am worried about side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

seamus wrote: »
    By all accounts, you're talking 4-12 hours before any side effects begin to kick in. It takes time for your body to create enough proteins to stimulate an immune response.

You should consider the next day as potentially being out for you.

Yeah this it exactly. If you have any side effects it will be when you wake up the next morning after the vaccine. Just general mild flu like symptoms that usually last less than 24 hrs.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I got Pfizer first dose at 10am.
    Took paracetamol when got home but brain fog, fatigue and temperature variations descended by lunchtime so the afternoon was a write off.
    Didn't sleep great that night, managed to get through work the next day though zoned out at times.

Taking paracetamol before the jab might help I've heard.

Apparently you shouldn't take paracetamol or ibuprofen before the vaccine. You want to be able to build an immune response so have to wait until side effects to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

Apparently you shouldn't take paracetamol or ibuprofen before the vaccine. You want to be able to build an immune response so have to wait until side effects to appear.

Really i took some before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

I'm waiting for 24 days now, for appointment after registration, for first dose. I'm 50+. Any clue what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

got vaccine at 11am on a thursday, felt tired at 2pm - came on all of a sudden, worked through till finish at 5. went for a nap from 6-7 when I got home. arm started feeling sore around 10, but slept ok. was very tired the following morning, and would have taken the day off if I didnt have some unavoidable stuff to do. Finished at 2pm, went to bed that night and got up at 11am saturday feeling 100% rested and back to normal. - Edit - vaccin was 1st dose of Pfizer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How in god's name would paracetamol or ibuprofen interfere with building an immune system response? At worse - and you'd have to damn near OD on them - taking an NSAID might slightly reduce the production of an immune response. Paracetamol would do nada. This is pretty basic stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm well past the 3 weeks wait now.

Fuck'em, I wasn't doing it for myself anyway.

Wibbs wrote: »
    How in god's name would paracetamol or ibuprofen interfere with building an immune system response? At worse - and you'd have to damn near OD on them - taking an NSAID might slightly reduce the production of an immune response. Paracetamol would do nada. This is pretty basic stuff.

I don't know. I'll ask the pharmacist when I pick up a pack of paracetamol though. They would know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, I am worried about side effects.

I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it.

If you are getting Pfizer, you have a 1 in 7 chance of side effects such as headache and fatigue after the first dose. This rises to 1 in 5 after second dose.

If you are getting AZ then this rises to a 1 in 3 chance after first dose.

https://consumer.healthday.com/b-4-28-just-1-in-7-who-get-pfizer-vaccine-will-have-any-systemic-side-effect-study-2652795800.html

I had a slightly sore arm. Virtually everyone I know had no real side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I got my first dose of Pfizer in the afternoon. Sore arm that day. Took 2 paracetamol that night. Next day I was incredibly tired all day. Arm still sore. Brain fog etc. Following day fine.

Wibbs wrote: »

It's based on what has been noted of studies of the flu vaccine, it seems taking anti inflammation or fever reducing medication can dull the antibody response and people that take these medications before a vaccine typically build a lower antibody response which often correlates with lower efficacy.

The advise in most countries is not to take them before the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

niamh247 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for 24 days now, for appointment after registration, for first dose. I'm 50+. Any clue what's going on?

I'm on day 32 now so you've a while to go

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure how much use the helpline is to be honest. My wife rang up to query since it's been over 3 weeks. Only to be told that even though she turns 40 this year (week!), she's actually been allocated into the 39 age bracket, so the 3 weeks only starts counting from Sunday, and nobody under 40 is being vaccinated yet.

So all of that is complete bullsh1t, but the guy on the phone acknowledged that her registration looked fine at least.

Sounds to me like they'll use any excuse to get you off the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

It's based on what has been noted of studies of the flu vaccine, it seems taking anti inflammation or fever reducing medication can dull the antibody response and people that take these medications before a vaccine typically build a lower antibody response which often correlates with lower efficacy.

The advise in most countries is not to take them before the vaccine.

The HSE says you can take an anti-inflammatory

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-materials/after-your-covid19-vaccine-astrazeneca.pdf

The HSE love anti-inflammatories, when I was last in hospital they were insisting that anyone with a slight fever took one, even if the patient was in no discomfort.

Advertisement