Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Has anyone responded with "New" to an appointment text,if they are not able to make the time given?

Just wondering how far it's pushed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

harmless wrote: »
    The HSE says you can take an anti-inflammatory

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-materials/after-your-covid19-vaccine-astrazeneca.pdf

The HSE love anti-inflammatories, when I was last in hospital they were insisting that anyone with a slight fever took one, even if the patient was in no discomfort.

I know loads of people who are taking anti inflammatories before the vaccine.
    And of all of those they say they have side effects after the jab.
    Out of all the people i know who dont go in expecting side-effects in advance, all they have after the jab is a sore arm where a needle was stuck into it.

Im thinking most people are imagining side effects tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mardyke wrote: »
    Has anyone responded with "New" to an appointment text,if they are not able to make the time given?

Just wondering how far it's pushed out...

A few in the other thread. Anything from 1 day to a month it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Out of all the people i know who dont go in expecting side-effects in advance, all they have after the jab is a sore arm where a needle was stuck into it.

I had dose 2 of AZ yesterday and absolutely am not imagining my symptoms today . My arm is throbbing , my shoulders are aching as are my upper thighs
    I have the heat on because I am frozen and feel shivery . I woke last night exactly 12 hours post vaccinated and my toes had pins and needles and my left knee ( which is a tad dodgy when i go upstairs ) was litterly throbbing with pain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Approx. 2000 Jansen vaccines done in pharmacies in the past week

• Advertisement

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-materials/after-your-covid19-vaccine-astrazeneca.pdf

The HSE love anti-inflammatories, when I was last in hospital they were insisting that anyone with a slight fever took one, even if the patient was in no discomfort.

Ibuprofen is very effective at reducing a high temperature . It is more effective than Paracetamol in children when temp is above 38.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Approx. 2000 Jansen vaccines done in pharmacies in the past week

Didn't 1000 pharmacies sign up?
    2 doses on average?

I know there are 87 Boots pharmacies that were offering the vaccine

JimmyVik wrote: »

I took nothing and had side effects
    I was shaking like a jack hammer at about T+5 and felt tired physically for a week
    I took nothing for it either that week
    That was jab one

The users above were discussing taking such drugs _before_ getting the Vaccine however. The link you have provided is things you can do _after_ having received it.

So be careful you are not talking past each other about two entirely different things.

It is still in the "more research needed" stage but a few papers likes this one here have noted a negative effect from taking such drugs. But note things like:

"The timing of administration of antipyretic analgesics appears to be paramount. In all studies that reported a negative effect on antibody response, the medications were given prophylactically. Interestingly, this effect was not seen when acetaminophen was given only four hours after immunization."

So if there is a negative effect - which is still in the "maybe" stage - it seems most of the data we have so far suggests the effect is only observed if you are taking the drug first and going in for the vaccine second. But I would not consider it safe to just declare that something like Paracetamol will do nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Didn't 1000 pharmacies sign up?
    2 doses on average?

I know there are 87 Boots pharmacies that were offering the vaccine

Many pharmacies cancelled their orders when it became apparent that there wasn’t much demand for the vaccine in those in their 50s. Some pharmacies are still awaiting second doses for their staff so won’t start vaccinating until staff are protected. Some will be waiting until they have at least 5 or 6 people lined up for the same day as once the vial is opened it needs to be used within 3 hours.

Really though it seems most like the HSE didn’t actually want to involve pharmacies and left it until it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting bit of news - the Tanaiste says consideration is being given to giving 'hundreds of thousands' of AstraZeneca doses to younger people in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting bit of news - the Tanaiste says consideration is being given to giving 'hundreds of thousands' of AstraZeneca doses to younger people in July.
    That seems like a really good candidate to hand over to the pharmacies. Let younger people who are willing to get AZ book themselves into a pharmacy, instead of offering it through the MVCs and having people turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Unless they reduce the second dose gap to 4 weeks inline with Pfizer & Moderna, I don't think the uptake will be high. I'd imagine in light of the Delta variant, NIAC may change their risk assessment regarding younger people and AZ etc...

I guess this is down to the Delta variant - either people in their 20s receive no vaccine or they get AstraZeneca.

Might be merit in the idea....they could give them a follow up dose of Pfizer or Moderna perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The optics of doing that after telling people under 50 that it wasn't safe, and taking the decision out of their hands initially, isn't super.

Better late than never, I guess. But I really wish they had just let people opt in months ago and we'd be in a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Excellent news. Let's not have all those very good AZ vaccines going to waste just because of very rare blood clots. A lot more people would get ill because they didn't get a vaccine on time. Pragmatic thinking. I was never in favour of age restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

An unexpected morning for myself, had an appointment with the GP near work, I've been a few times as it's right beside my office (not my normal GP) , anyway appointment was for a normal screening, blood pressure etc , all just to get a cert to take part in an upcoming medical for a potential job. Asked the GP where the practice was with vaccines and he said cohort 4 done, 7 almost done and starting on the over 30s in the practice this week, said I could hear in probably 3-4 weeks or so from them about getting a vaccine from the practice (I'm 26), end of July start of August time, grand no problem and off I went.

Phone call an hour later, we've spare doses are you still in the area, 10 minutes later I was starting my 15 minute observation period. Pfizer dose 2 in 4 weeks time.

They'd 2 spare doses drawn up that needed to be used asap.

In general that practice seem to be following the HSE priority group but for anyone waiting definitely worth asking the GP if they've some sort of waiting list if there's spare doses.

Knex* wrote: »
    The optics of doing that after telling people under 50 that it wasn't safe, and taking the decision out of their hands initially, isn't super.

Better late than never, I guess. But I really wish they had just let people opt in months ago and we'd be in a much better position.

They never said it was not safe, they said the risks outweighed the benefit.
    In light of the Delta variant, the benefit may outweigh the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

HHm, I guess maybe mixing of vaccines may also be being reviewed....

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They never said it was not safe, they said the risks outweighed the benefit.
    In light of the Delta variant, the benefit may outweigh the risk.

Indeed, and they may be thinking there is a big risk of yet another surge and yet another national lockdown. At that point, all bets are off and you're going to throw every vaccine available at it.

Indeed, and they may be thinking there is a big risk of yet another surge and yet another national lockdown. At that point, all bets are off and you're going to throw every vaccine available at it.

I think they will have to look at reducing the gap between doses. I know the US AZ trial ran with 4 week dosing gap, so there's data there they can make a decision with.
    Shame there's no data with J&J single jab with the delta variant, although there's less supply, it's another jab available for the young.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had dose 2 of AZ yesterday and absolutely am not imagining my symptoms today . My arm is throbbing , my shoulders are aching as are my upper thighs
    I have the heat on because I am frozen and feel shivery . I woke last night exactly 12 hours post vaccinated and my toes had pins and needles and my left knee ( which is a tad dodgy when i go upstairs ) was litterly throbbing with pain
    Sounds a bit like myself on Monday after my AZ jab on Sunday. Yesterday I was fine again. Out of interest, were you okay after your first dose? Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

I know this has been asked before but can’t find the answer:

Received appointment for 1st jab at MVC today but was called 2 weeks ago by gp and got it there. No option to reply No. do you just ring and tell them? Don’t want to be holding up available jab for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Sorry if this was asked/answered already.....got invited to get the vaccine next week, cant make the appointment so texted back "New".
    Anyone know how long (roughly) I should be waiting for new slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Leo's been touting giving AZ and J&J to the younger age groups with months now. It's NIACs call. Not his. I think only the risk of a high prevalence of cases would cause NIAC to change their stance.

Yeah, vaccines are funny certain medications interfere with the responses of vaccines. There's not been enough time to figure what these are for the covid vaccines. While paracetamol taken in advance to alleviate side effects does appear to weaken the response to flu vaccines. As far as I'm aware there's nothing to suggest this is case for the covid vaccines. After two doses people show more or less the same level of antibody response for a raft of different medications.

Also worth pointing out it's still believed the flu jab recipients on regular paracetamol still got got effective protection from the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Turtwig wrote: »
    Leo's been touting giving AZ and J&J to the younger age groups with months now. It's NIACs call. Not his. I think only the risk of a high prevalence of cases would cause NIAC to change their stance.

Yeah, vaccines are funny certain medications interfere with the responses of vaccines. There's not been enough time to figure what these are for the covid vaccines. While paracetamol taken in advance to alleviate side effects does appear to weaken the response to flu vaccines. As far as I'm aware there's nothing to suggest this is case for the covid vaccines. After two doses people show more or less the same level of antibody response for a raft of different medications.

Also worth pointing out it's still believed the flu jab recipients on regular paracetamol still got got effective protection from the vaccine.

I think they should let the vaccine programme proceed through the age groups as they're doing now but also give those in the 20/30/40 age group the option if they so choose of signing an informed waiver to take the J & J one shot vaccine.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like myself on Monday after my AZ jab on Sunday. Yesterday I was fine again. Out of interest, were you okay after your first dose? Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thank you . I had less symptoms after the first , just a few hours of being cold and a headache . This dose floored me .

Turtwig wrote: »

I think this is the first time this year though we've been faced with the prospect of having hundreds of thousands of unused vaccines on a shelf - it simply hasn't arisen before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There are hcw and extremely medically vulnerable people in other countries yet to get a first dose. No way the vaccines would go to complete waste.

Advertisement