Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Only would make sense really to get AZ if you werent going to get a MRNA one done in the next month really.

Say for example you get AZ tomorrow you'll be waiting 8 weeks for 2nd dose.
    Got Pfizer anytime within the next month you'll still be fully vaccinated quicker or same time at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Only would make sense really to get AZ if you werent going to get a MRNA one done in the next month really.

Say for example you get AZ tomorrow you'll be waiting 8 weeks for 2nd dose.
    Got Pfizer anytime within the next month you'll still be fully vaccinated quicker or same time at worst.

Maybe thats the thinking.

younger people won't get Pfizer 1 until august and Pfizer 2 until September.
    Give them AZ 1 in July and at least they're partially immune then AZ 2 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

The EU’s disease control agency has called for swifter vaccination in Europe as the highly transmissible Delta variant of Covid is forecast to account for 90% of all cases in member states by the end of August.

Dr Andrea Ammon, the director of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), said people who have had a single jab were still at risk of infection and hospitalisation, with the variant likely to spread widely among young people this summer.

In a sombre statement at a time when many EU countries are looking to relax restrictions and facilitate travel through a Covid passport, Ammon said there remained too many people in the more vulnerable age groups in the union who were not fully vaccinated.

The ECDC’s modelling suggests that without maintenance of the current Covid restrictions and a sharp acceleration in vaccination, there is likely to be a wave of infection, deaths and hospitalisation similar to that experienced last autumn.

Ammon asked in her statement for younger people who may not have received their full complement of jabs to strictly keep to social distancing regulations, and she called on the EU’s public health authorities to save lives by accelerating their vaccination programmes.

The ECDC’s latest published data suggests that 33.9% of adults in the EU/EEA are fully vaccinated, and 57.1% have had at least a single dose....more....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/23/call-to-speed-up-covid-jabs-as-delta-variant-spreads-across-europe

Here on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBkqwPdhRpE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nice to see EU countries catching up

Italy and Germany have almost the same percentage of first doses covered as the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I'm getting a bit frustrated by the lack of good data on our vaccine supplies and rollout but the following seems to be the current state of play:

- We have administered 3.7 million vaccines (see Paul Reid in the article below)
    - We are administering 300,000 vaccines next week (baffling that we are administering a lower number compared to last week, when we received recorded supplies of Pfizer this week...)
    - We will then do 300,000 a week for "another couple of weeks" per Paul Reid. Again, that sounds too low. We should have received 5 million+ doses by end of June (based on data in other EU countries), so we'll have over 1 million in stock. Even without accounting for new stocks received in July, we should be easily able to do 300,000+ a week for all of July with the stock levels we have.
    - there is no sign of us being able to ramp up to 450,000 doses (as was promised) and we do have the supplies to do that
    - Paul Reid seems to be moaning about the lack of J& J supplies but we are nowhere near using up the doses we have from other suppliers so I'm not clear what we would do with J&J even if we got it.
    - there is pretty much no proper media scrutiny of our vaccine rollout (which is 2 weeks behind where Belgium is at, for example)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/deliveries-of-johnson-johnson-vaccine-to-republic-near-worst-case-estimates-1.4601362

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Mr.S wrote: »
    My only issue with AstraZenica is that it’s not an a few approved vaccine lists, eg FDA in the US. So if you wanted to travel to the US in the future you’d likely need to get another vaccine which is just annoying.

Eg; https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/18/bruce-springsteen-fans-with-astrazeneca-vaccine-barred-from-shows-14794691/

Article is out of date. They reserved that policy.
    There's no way the US will not allow in Mexican or Canadian workers/visitors as they received AZ, let alone the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Mr.S wrote: »
    My only issue with AstraZenica is that it’s not an a few approved vaccine lists, eg FDA in the US. So if you wanted to travel to the US in the future you’d likely need to get another vaccine which is just annoying.

Eg; https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/18/bruce-springsteen-fans-with-astrazeneca-vaccine-barred-from-shows-14794691/

No, it is an WHO approved vaccine, so US visit should not be an issue - imagine the issues with its neighbour Canada and Mexico alone.

Although this is a vaccines thread, I every now and then take a look at this website. Very informative of variant situations around the world. India figures look a bit strange, but as the Delta is the variant pretty much 100%, I assume the sequenced numbers are low now at the moment (plus amount of testing et).
    The last time I looked at this, the US was 10%, that was only a few days ago... The important thing is the vaccines do what they are designed to do, reduce hospital admissions and serious covid. Importance of getting the second injection is clear.

Belgium's Germany and Netherlands numbers also jumped a lot as have Irelands since I started looking.

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had dose 2 of AZ yesterday and absolutely am not imagining my symptoms today . My arm is throbbing , my shoulders are aching as are my upper thighs
    I have the heat on because I am frozen and feel shivery . I woke last night exactly 12 hours post vaccinated and my toes had pins and needles and my left knee ( which is a tad dodgy when i go upstairs ) was litterly throbbing with pain

Also people have reported old injuries becoming painful again .
    Hope you feel better soon .

Goldengirl wrote: »

That is true. I have also read that people have also reported back pain reduction, skin conditions improved. It really is a mystery so far, but I would be surprised if this wasn't being looked at .

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Unless they reduce the second dose gap to 4 weeks inline with Pfizer & Moderna, I don't think the uptake will be high. I'd imagine in light of the Delta variant, NIAC may change their risk assessment regarding younger people and AZ etc...

I think you are right .
    Risk vs benefit ratio in those younger age groups has been altered due to a more transmissible variant expected to be in circulation.

That is true. I have also read that people have also reported back pain reduction, skin conditions improved. It really is a mystery so far, but I would be surprised if this wasn't being looked at .

Yes. A myriad of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases that may or may not be affected insome way , both by the virus and now to some extent the vaccine .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Goldengirl wrote: »

Thank you I feel more human now 26 hours post vaccine . The strangest thing was a very very old appendix scar started to be annoying during the night . I haven’t felt any bother from it for about 50 years !!!

An unexpected morning for myself, had an appointment with the GP near work, I've been a few times as it's right beside my office (not my normal GP) , anyway appointment was for a normal screening, blood pressure etc , all just to get a cert to take part in an upcoming medical for a potential job. Asked the GP where the practice was with vaccines and he said cohort 4 done, 7 almost done and starting on the over 30s in the practice this week, said I could hear in probably 3-4 weeks or so from them about getting a vaccine from the practice (I'm 26), end of July start of August time, grand no problem and off I went.

Phone call an hour later, we've spare doses are you still in the area, 10 minutes later I was starting my 15 minute observation period. Pfizer dose 2 in 4 weeks time.

They'd 2 spare doses drawn up that needed to be used asap.

In general that practice seem to be following the HSE priority group but for anyone waiting definitely worth asking the GP if they've some sort of waiting list if there's spare doses.

Brilliant news , take care .

Knex* wrote: »
    The optics of doing that after telling people under 50 that it wasn't safe, and taking the decision out of their hands initially, isn't super.

Better late than never, I guess. But I really wish they had just let people opt in months ago and we'd be in a much better position.

It was / is never about the optics with NIAC .
    All about relative safety to risk .

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    I know this has been asked before but can’t find the answer:

Received appointment for 1st jab at MVC today but was called 2 weeks ago by gp and got it there. No option to reply No. do you just ring and tell them? Don’t want to be holding up available jab for someone else.

Yes . Ring the HSE helpline .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,441 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When will 31s be allowed register ?

Turtwig wrote: »
    Leo's been touting giving AZ and J&J to the younger age groups with months now. It's NIACs call. Not his. I think only the risk of a high prevalence of cases would cause NIAC to change their stance.

Yeah, vaccines are funny certain medications interfere with the responses of vaccines. There's not been enough time to figure what these are for the covid vaccines. While paracetamol taken in advance to alleviate side effects does appear to weaken the response to flu vaccines. As far as I'm aware there's nothing to suggest this is case for the covid vaccines. After two doses people show more or less the same level of antibody response for a raft of different medications.

Also worth pointing out it's still believed the flu jab recipients on regular paracetamol still got got effective protection from the vaccine.

I know a lot of HCWs took paracetamol prophylactically as given jab while working !
    I was lucky , was off duty and came in for my first one , just got through the day with the second one and was off for a few days afterwards .
    Workin ok so far ;)

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you I feel more human now 26 hours post vaccine . The strangest thing was a very very old appendix scar started to be annoying during the night . I haven’t felt any bother from it for about 50 years !!!

Probably wake up in a few months time with no scar at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

2nd az dose 8 days after new. top bananna. huge numbers in gcc. car park full people parking on grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I’m 100% taking my vaccine when given and will 100% get the second dose. But crap like this just makes you wonder what’s it all for in the end?
    The point of vaccines is stop us getting sick not catching Covid!
    https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1407428387216494598?s=21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Some posts deleted. Folks can we keep it civil and remain on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I’m 100% taking my vaccine when given and will 100% get the second dose. But crap like this just makes you wonder what’s it all for in the end?
    The point of vaccines is stop us getting sick not catching Covid!
    https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1407428387216494598?s=21
    Israel have about 60% vaccinated. The actions are to protect the 40%, not the vaccinated.
    The subtitle of the article is literally "For second straight day, dozens of students contract COVID"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

My three weeks is coming up this Sunday. Not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Not sure how true it is, but I checked on the phone (just in case there was an eircode or registration issue) and was told because I'm actually 39 (born 1981) that the 3 week counter didn't start till 20th June, they didn't seem to know that registration was based on birth year, but this group were doing appointments purely by age (which is fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I must drive someone to Croke Park for vaccine. Where is the centre and is there any parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,577 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

crossman47 wrote: »
    I must drive someone to Croke Park for vaccine. Where is the centre and is there any parking?

Jones Road (roughly where it meets Russell Avenue).
    There is free parking and a drop off point at the Croke Park Hotel so set your satnav for there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I was lucky enough to get my first Pfizer vaccination in the Aviva in Dublin (registered based on age). I got a text for my second vaccine, but had to click “new” to reschedule. An auto message said they’d be in touch in coming weeks.
    Anyone else do this, and how long was the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I'm 34 due to get married end of August and have a honeymoon booked for the following week.

The portal only opening opening 39-34 has left me in a precarious position. Any chance I'll be fully vaccinated before I go? Or will we even be able to travel at all? Any advice what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'm 34 due to get married end of August and have a honeymoon booked for the following week.

The portal only opening opening 39-34 has left me in a precarious position. Any chance I'll be fully vaccinated before I go? Or will we even be able to travel at all? Any advice what I should do?

People seem to forget that you aren't fully vaccinated after your second dose..
    With Pfizer/BioNTech its 7 days later.
    With Moderna its 14 days later.

Either way, its 50/50 you'll have your second dose before the end of August, it depends on where you live..

• Advertisement

OwlsZat wrote: »

Where do you live, roughly?

Advertisement