Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

My consultant put me forward for vaccine "priority" in April. After waiting 6 weeks to hear, I was devastated that the appointment I was given clashed with a different appointment (not with that consultant) which I'd been waiting months for. I rang the helpline and was told I'd get a new vaccine appointment within three weeks, so I decided to cancel that one rather than possibly wait months for that other medical appointment.
    Three weeks later, still no word. Rang helpline again yesterday and at first was told they couldn't help as I'm "only" 32. When I pushed it, they said they'd send it to their team to expedite it. Still nothing. Quite a few friends have randomly been able to get it through their GP practice, same age as me & no underlying conditions. Feel like a right eejit for being so thrilled back in April to be told I was getting it soon.
    Any suggestions? I know my age group will be registering fairly soon but I still, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

araic88 wrote: »
    My consultant put me forward for vaccine "priority" in April. After waiting 6 weeks to hear, I was devastated that the appointment I was given clashed with a different appointment (not with that consultant) which I'd been waiting months for. I rang the helpline and was told I'd get a new vaccine appointment within three weeks, so I decided to cancel that one rather than possibly wait months for that other medical appointment.
    Three weeks later, still no word. Rang helpline again yesterday and at first was told they couldn't help as I'm "only" 32. When I pushed it, they said they'd send it to their team to expedite it. Still nothing. Quite a few friends have randomly been able to get it through their GP practice, same age as me & no underlying conditions. Feel like a right eejit for being so thrilled back in April to be told I was getting it soon.
    Any suggestions? I know my age group will be registering fairly soon but I still, the sooner the better.

Very sorry to hear this. Options include calling HSE live again, calling your consultant's team and asking for options / advice, or going to a political representative. Have you called your GP also? And do you know if you're in cohort 4 or 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'm 34 due to get married end of August and have a honeymoon booked for the following week.

The portal only opening opening 39-34 has left me in a precarious position. Any chance I'll be fully vaccinated before I go? Or will we even be able to travel at all? Any advice what I should do?

Did you contact your GP? I’m not sure how it’s working but I know quite a few people now who have been given appointments early via their GP, one hadn’t even registered! And anecdotally, a relatives colleagues in late 20s got a vaccine last minute from their GP who didn’t want to waste them. It’d be worth putting in a call anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I wonder will Israel's strategy start to backfire.
    Current vaccine stats:
    Population vaccinated:
    - 1st dose: 59.25% (+0.06)
    - 2nd dose: 55.41% (-)

Virtually at a standstill for the last while and now cases are rising again among the unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Current vaccine stats:
    Population vaccinated:

Virtually at a standstill for the last while and now cases are rising again among the unvaccinated.

In terms of what we’ll get done over next 3 weeks we’ll outstrip them by a big margin??

Also didn’t they fûck up by not paying Pfizer?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    In terms of what we’ll get done over next 3 weeks we’ll outstrip them by a big margin??

Also didn’t they fûck up by not paying Pfizer?
    I believe so yes.
    They've done virtually nothing over the past month vaccine wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

roarlad wrote: »
    People seem to forget that you aren't fully vaccinated after your second dose..
    With Pfizer/BioNTech its 7 days later.
    With Moderna its 14 days later.

Either way, its 50/50 you'll have your second dose before the end of August, it depends on where you live..

Ireland says fully vaccinated 7 days after second dose for Pfizer. But the new EU passport says 14 days needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Where do you live, roughly?

Dublin

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Dublin

It's been slow going since the 40-44 kicked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Very sorry to hear this. Options include calling HSE live again, calling your consultant's team and asking for options / advice, or going to a political representative. Have you called your GP also? And do you know if you're in cohort 4 or 7?

Thanks for the reply. Did mention to GP about having to miss appointment but haven't updated them about not being called. They recently finished their clinics so I don't think they could help me.
    Consultant didn't seem to have much say once they had passed on details, but I can contact them & the helpline again.
    I'm cohort 7 I think, wasn't told specifically.

Current vaccine stats:
    Population vaccinated:

They ran out of people that wanted it, not much you can do when that happens.

Cases rising in fully vaccinated people too, a third of their recent cases are in that category.

They ran out of people that wanted it, not much you can do when that happens.

Cases rising in fully vaccinated people too, a third of their recent cases are in that category.
    Telegraph reporting that all cases among vaccinated people have been mild or asymptomatic. Looks like with the Delta variant it's being passed from unvaccinated -> vaccinated but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Where are we at now on first and second %?

And where we expect to get to over the next week does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Telegraph reporting that all cases among vaccinated people have been mild or asymptomatic. Looks like with the Delta variant it's being passed from unvaccinated -> vaccinated but not the other way around.

Vaccines doing the job so.

The aim wasn't to stop people testing positive it was to stop them getting a bad dose or worse seriously ill.

People need to keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Current vaccine stats:
    Population vaccinated:

Backfire? There are no restrictions in Israel apart from international travel. So what, a few cases have popped up. It will be interesting to see if any of these are admitted to hospital. Given the age profile, I doubt it. If anything, this could work in their favour by encouraging more people to get vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The aim wasn't to stop people testing positive it was to stop them getting a bad dose or worse seriously ill.

Given the emphasis and histrionics over case numbers for the last 15 months, it is going to be difficult to recondition people into overlooking positive cases I fear..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Does anyone know if you can register after midnight or is it after a certain time in the morning e.g. 35 and can register in 10 mins time or wait until tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Given the emphasis and histrionics over case numbers for the last 15 months, it is going to be difficult to recondition people into overlooking positive cases I fear..

I would be concerned by this myself. We're not too far off the point where obsessing over covid cases would be close to obsessing over cases of the common cold.

As far as I'm concerned, if you need to be tested to know you have covid the vaccine has done its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Messi19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can register after midnight or is it after a certain time in the morning e.g. 35 and can register in 10 mins time or wait until tomorrow morning

Can register now if you want. It would have accepted a 35 year olds date of birth the other day when 39 opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Can register now if you want. It would have accepted a 35 year olds date of birth the other day when 39 opened

Ta. 35 in October so I'll give it a bash

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That was the initial aim. This time a year ago we'd have been delighted with a vaccine efficacy greater than 50. Then we got three that prevented serious illness, infection and transmission. The real world data from the UK suggested that four weeks after the first dose the vaccines deployed there prevented infection in almost 90% of cases.

Fast forward less than four months, we now have vaccines that prevent infection less than 50% of the time four weeks after the first dose. That is significant ground lost.

The vaccines still prevent severe illness and death. People definitely need to have that part emphasised to them. That does not mean we should brazenly dismiss the ground lost. If we still had the original wildtype or even the alpha variant things would be considerably easier. As it stands we're lucky the UK is a few weeks ahead of us in the spread of the delta. We will get time to assess just how much the link between hospitalisations and infections has been weakened by the vaccine. We will also get to see just how much impact this variant has on the impact on the unvaccinated population cohorts.

The best thing about the vaccines is that once we have a larger proportion of the population fully vaccinated. We can afford to be more relaxed about, well, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Turtwig wrote: »
    That was the initial aim. This time a year ago we'd have been delighted with a vaccine efficacy greater than 50. Then we got three that prevented serious illness, infection and transmission. The real world data from the UK suggested that four weeks after the first dose the vaccines deployed there prevented infection in almost 90% of cases.

Fast forward less than four months, we now have vaccines that prevent infection less than 50% of the time four weeks after the first dose. That is significant ground lost.

The vaccines still prevent severe illness and death. People definitely need to have that part emphasised to them. That does not mean we should brazenly dismiss the ground lost. If we still had the original wildtype or even the alpha variant things would be considerably easier. As it stands we're lucky the UK is a few weeks ahead of us in the spread of the delta. We will get time to assess just how much the link between hospitalisations and infections has been weakened by the vaccine. We will also get to see just how much impact this variant has on the impact on the unvaccinated population cohorts.

The best thing about the vaccines is that once we have a larger proportion of the population fully vaccinated. We can afford to be more relaxed about, well, everything.

Exactly, once everyone has been vaccinated at least once, then we can afford to relax a bit. After that it’ll be concentrating on updated vaccines for variants in a year or two, and then regularly updated ones for groups that would have traditionally gotten the flu jab. Delta isn’t the end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Qrt wrote: »
    Exactly, once everyone has been vaccinated at least once, then we can afford to relax a bit. After that it’ll be concentrating on updated vaccines for variants in a year or two, and then regularly updated ones for groups that would have traditionally gotten the flu jab. Delta isn’t the end of the road.

I despair !
    " Fully vaccinated " means 2 doses .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I despair !
    " Fully vaccinated " means 2 doses .

Well yeah that’s what I mean. Two doses is a complete vaccination. Semantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm getting a bit frustrated by the lack of good data on our vaccine supplies and rollout but the following seems to be the current state of play:

- We have administered 3.7 million vaccines (see Paul Reid in the article below)
    - We are administering 300,000 vaccines next week (baffling that we are administering a lower number compared to last week, when we received recorded supplies of Pfizer this week...)
    - We will then do 300,000 a week for "another couple of weeks" per Paul Reid. Again, that sounds too low. We should have received 5 million+ doses by end of June (based on data in other EU countries), so we'll have over 1 million in stock. Even without accounting for new stocks received in July, we should be easily able to do 300,000+ a week for all of July with the stock levels we have.
    - there is no sign of us being able to ramp up to 450,000 doses (as was promised) and we do have the supplies to do that
    - Paul Reid seems to be moaning about the lack of J& J supplies but we are nowhere near using up the doses we have from other suppliers so I'm not clear what we would do with J&J even if we got it.
    - there is pretty much no proper media scrutiny of our vaccine rollout (which is 2 weeks behind where Belgium is at, for example)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/deliveries-of-johnson-johnson-vaccine-to-republic-near-worst-case-estimates-1.4601362

This is true.

And at least one journalist could've asked in the press conference or wherever 'what's the breakdown of the 3.7m in terms of first and second doses of the adult population?'

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

This is true.

And at least one journalist could've asked in the press conference or wherever 'what's the breakdown of the 3.7m in terms of first and second doses of the adult population?'

Its data is a a bit behind but according to the ECDC, when we had 3,577,855 doses administered, we had 62.7% of the adult population vaccinated with one dose and 36% fully vaccinated.

We now have 3.7m vaccines administered according to Reid (maybe that's closer to 3.8m after today).

Google says there are 3.76m adults in Ireland in 2021.

A lot of EU countries seem to be using one-third of their stock for first injections and two-thirds for second injections now.

Trying to extrapolate from that (my math is crummy!) but I'm guessing we're around 65% first doses now.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed, and they may be thinking there is a big risk of yet another surge and yet another national lockdown. At that point, all bets are off and you're going to throw every vaccine available at it.

The Delta variant was already rampant in the UK when we started reopening here, so if the government is worried they are very good at hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Wasn't the vaccine tracker supposed to be back this week? I'm jonesing for a fix of those sweet, sweet numbers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah looking forward to that myself, thought they've been updating the numbers of infections / hospitalisations/ ICU.

Advertisement