Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Luke O Neil reporting (on 14th of June) on twitter that Novavax has shown efficacy of 90% in their vaccine

Only another 9 months before the EMA approve it, if we're lucky :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'm 34 due to get married end of August and have a honeymoon booked for the following week.

The portal only opening opening 39-34 has left me in a precarious position. Any chance I'll be fully vaccinated before I go? Or will we even be able to travel at all? Any advice what I should do?
    As others have said, contact your GP (or have your fiance contact her GP) and be brazen. Explain your dilemma and ask if they can put you on their standby list.

You will be able to travel either way, but it'll involve getting yourself tested and possibly having to jump through hoops if you're travelling outside of the EU.
    Luke O Neil reporting (on 14th of June) on twitter that Novavax has shown efficacy of 90% in their vaccine

Only another 9 months before the EMA approve it, if we're lucky :confused::confused:
    Novavax have no supplies available until late 2021 anyway.

The EU hasn't been slow to approve vaccines where the data is available to them.

seamus wrote: »
    As others have said, contact your GP (or have your fiance contact her GP) and be brazen. Explain your dilemma and ask if they can put you on their standby list.

You will be able to travel either way, but it'll involve getting yourself tested and possibly having to jump through hoops if you're travelling outside of the EU.

Novavax have no supplies available until late 2021 anyway.

The EU hasn't been slow to approve vaccines where the data is available to them.

Perhaps they haven't been slow but they have been slower than their USA and UK equivalents

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Firebolt185

Has anyone registered twice in different locations? Or can can you change your location ?

I’m 35 and registered in south Dublin . Grew up and family house in Cork. All my 35 year friends in cork have got text and date for first vaccine already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Perhaps they haven't been slow but they have been slower than their USA and UK equivalents

Have they really though ?
    A quick google search says Pfizer submitted to the FDA on 20th November and were approved on 11th December, and they submitted to the EMA on 1st December and were approved on 21st December. I didn't double check the links/stories but it seems there wasn't much in it either way. Plus I think its a fuller authorisation here in Europe as opposed to emergency use in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

a) It's fully dependent on when the companies submit, the EMA can't approve a vaccine that hasn't been submitted for approval (AZ hit this particularly, waiting a long time to submit that ended up being a cover for their lack of supply)
    b) The CDC and EMA have very high standards for approval that takes longer, the UK has been approving quickly under emergency approval, as this requires less data, the companies were able to submit faster as well, the EMA and CDC have been taking very similar amounts of time, the CDC still hasn't approved AZ, the UK approved J&J and Moderna after the EMA
    c) the time to approve has had very little effect on the roll out as it has all been supply driven
    d) The EMA has multiple vaccines in rolling approvals with continuous data being submitted in order to cut the approval time down but as we have 4 good vaccines, the need to approve faster has been diminished
    e) Novavax don't have a quantity of vaccine ready to go, when they do submit and if they get approved, the vaccines won't follow for months (as happened to the UK after Moderna approval)

Will be interesting to see if you repeat this line in another few weeks time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

First jab done and dusted in Greystones yesterday. Really smooth process, barely even felt it and only a sore arm as a side effect. Even got out for a game of touch rugby last night!

Roll on normality (in 6/7 weeks :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Which MVCs in Dublin are doing MRNA vaccines right now?

astrofool wrote: »
    a) It's fully dependent on when the companies submit, the EMA can't approve a vaccine that hasn't been submitted for approval (AZ hit this particularly, waiting a long time to submit that ended up being a cover for their lack of supply)
    b) The CDC and EMA have very high standards for approval that takes longer, the UK has been approving quickly under emergency approval, as this requires less data, the companies were able to submit faster as well, the EMA and CDC have been taking very similar amounts of time, the CDC still hasn't approved AZ, the UK approved J&J and Moderna after the EMA
    c) the time to approve has had very little effect on the roll out as it has all been supply driven
    d) The EMA has multiple vaccines in rolling approvals with continuous data being submitted in order to cut the approval time down but as we have 4 good vaccines, the need to approve faster has been diminished
    e) Novavax don't have a quantity of vaccine ready to go, when they do submit and if they get approved, the vaccines won't follow for months (as happened to the UK after Moderna approval)

Will be interesting to see if you repeat this line in another few weeks time :)

My point has very little to do with vaccine rollout although we are in the middle of a pandemic so the sooner that a vaccine gets approved the sooner a rollout can start.

The EMA really showed their uselessness in December 2020 when they were they approved the Pfizer vaccine almost a month after the UK. Considering their rolling review mechanism I see no reason for any delay between a company applying and getting approval

I don't think my line on this will change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Re-quoting this just in case it gets lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Been keeping an eye out for coverage on side effects in Pfizer and Moderna abroad before any might happen here that the papers will probably lose their minds about.

This is a good in-depth update from the CDC in the US about myocarditis and pericarditis after Pfizer/Moderna jabs. Few more cases than they expected but still very, very low numbers, incredibly rare in the grand scheme of things with tens of millions of doses given.

Highest level of care received (Sample of 29 Chart Confirmed Cases)
    Outpatient - 1 (3.4%)
    Emergency department - 4 (13.8%)
    Inpatient hospitalization - 22 (75.9%)
    Intensive care unit (ICU) - 2 (5.7%)

Median length of hospital stay - 1 day (Range 0–13)

Discharged to home at time of chart review - 29 (100%)
    Follow-up visit noted at time of chart review - 27 (93.1%)

Seems very positive that its a tiny proportion of adverse impacts vs jabs administered and its a highly treatable side effect despite sounding a bit scary.

Source: https://cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-06/03-COVID-Shimabukuro-508.pdf

EDIT: I do think these numbers show that NIAC or whoever should look at this and advocate for AZ to be made available to men aged 18 - 39. AZ clotting seems to impact women more than men and the MRNA heart stuff impacts men more than women. Seems a no brainer to use our surplus of AZ to get more men of that age demo done faster than they'd be done waiting for MRNA and it'd technically be safer for them to get AZ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Turtwig wrote: »
    That was the initial aim. This time a year ago we'd have been delighted with a vaccine efficacy greater than 50. Then we got three that prevented serious illness, infection and transmission. The real world data from the UK suggested that four weeks after the first dose the vaccines deployed there prevented infection in almost 90% of cases.

Fast forward less than four months, we now have vaccines that prevent infection less than 50% of the time four weeks after the first dose. That is significant ground lost.

The vaccines still prevent severe illness and death. People definitely need to have that part emphasised to them. That does not mean we should brazenly dismiss the ground lost. If we still had the original wildtype or even the alpha variant things would be considerably easier. As it stands we're lucky the UK is a few weeks ahead of us in the spread of the delta. We will get time to assess just how much the link between hospitalisations and infections has been weakened by the vaccine. We will also get to see just how much impact this variant has on the impact on the unvaccinated population cohorts.

The best thing about the vaccines is that once we have a larger proportion of the population fully vaccinated. We can afford to be more relaxed about, well, everything.
    Whilst I share your concerns (Jesus I'm beginning hate that word now :pac:), I am encouraged by the report which PHE issued last week which stated that both AZ and BioNTech vaccines offered >90% protection against hospitalisation. And, as you say, that is the metric which people need to be made aware of. So the bottom line, vaccines work. And of course, the T-Cell response is another aspect which has yet to be established fully, from the limited pieces I have read, there is further grounds for optimism here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Wasn't the vaccine tracker supposed to be back this week? I'm jonesing for a fix of those sweet, sweet numbers..

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

This may have been asked before, but I got the Pfizer jab this morning and am scheduled for my second in exactly 3 weeks time. The information booklet they gave me said that it should be in 4 weeks. I assume the booklet is out of date and they didn't put the wrong date on my vaccination record?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

VonLuck wrote: »
    This may have been asked before, but I got the Pfizer jab this morning and am scheduled for my second in exactly 3 weeks time. The information booklet they gave me said that it should be in 4 weeks. I assume the booklet is out of date and they didn't put the wrong date on my vaccination record?

AFAIK the Pfizer dose interval has always been 4 weeks and that hasn't changed.

GP or MVC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The booklet is a guide, 3 weeks interval is the minimum interval for Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Lumen wrote: »
    AFAIK the Pfizer dose interval has always been 4 weeks and that hasn't changed.

GP or MVC?

GP. It's a bit confusing having conflicting information.

I would put money on human error then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Our doses used data on the ECDC vaccine tracker seems to be updating most days now.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

3.7 million doses used (same as Paul Reid said yesterday)
    4.2 million doses received (this figure hasn't change all week, so excludes our Pfizer delivery of 317,000)

That means we currently have about 800,000 doses in stock, about 700,000 of this is Pfizer. Possibly we've used another 100,000 doses since this data was submitted to ECDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

My missus had 2nd dose after around 3 weeks, CDC seems to think this is fine anyway.

• Advertisement

Our doses used data on the ECDC vaccine tracker seems to be updating most days now.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

4.2 million doses received (this figure hasn't change all week, so excludes our Pfizer delivery of 317,000)

That means we currently have about 800,000 doses in stock, about 700,000 of this is Pfizer. Possibly we've used another 100,000 doses since this data was submitted to ECDC.

I have little faith in this data until someone in the HSE makes a statement about vaccine stocks.

I don't watch any briefings but are none of the journos asking about this?

Even (?) on Twitter the level of numeracy and literacy seems really poor.

Take this Tweet for instance. Nobody seems to have noticed that 1.2 + 1.2 does not equal 3.5.

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1405517786810519559

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Is the stock amount held back for dose 2? So if they give someone dose 1 there is a held back dose 2 for that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Telegraph reporting that all cases among vaccinated people have been mild or asymptomatic. Looks like with the Delta variant it's being passed from unvaccinated -> vaccinated but not the other way around.

Vaccines work, the whole premise of them was to reduce and stop serious covid and hospitalisation. Lets get those arms vaccinated. Sadly, there will always be small but significant part of the population who refuse, not just that they cant have a vaccine, point blank refuse.
    Boosters will be a regular part of life I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Lyle wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye out for coverage on side effects in Pfizer and Moderna abroad before any might happen here that the papers will probably lose their minds about.

This is a good in-depth update from the CDC in the US about myocarditis and pericarditis after Pfizer/Moderna jabs. Few more cases than they expected but still very, very low numbers, incredibly rare in the grand scheme of things with tens of millions of doses given.

Highest level of care received (Sample of 29 Chart Confirmed Cases)
    Outpatient - 1 (3.4%)
    Emergency department - 4 (13.8%)
    Inpatient hospitalization - 22 (75.9%)
    Intensive care unit (ICU) - 2 (5.7%)

Median length of hospital stay - 1 day (Range 0–13)

Discharged to home at time of chart review - 29 (100%)
    Follow-up visit noted at time of chart review - 27 (93.1%)

Seems very positive that its a tiny proportion of adverse impacts vs jabs administered and its a highly treatable side effect despite sounding a bit scary.

Source: https://cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-06/03-COVID-Shimabukuro-508.pdf

EDIT: I do think these numbers show that NIAC or whoever should look at this and advocate for AZ to be made available to men aged 18 - 39. AZ clotting seems to impact women more than men and the MRNA heart stuff impacts men more than women. Seems a no brainer to use our surplus of AZ to get more men of that age demo done faster than they'd be done waiting for MRNA and it'd technically be safer for them to get AZ anyway.

I think the same press release commented that the number of instances of myocarditis was over the expected threshold. Hence it is so important to update the adverse reactions notices, - for what ever medication or vaccine. that way, research can be carried out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

I have little faith in this data until someone in the HSE makes a statement about vaccine stocks.

I don't watch any briefings but are none of the journos asking about this?

Even (?) on Twitter the level of numeracy and literacy seems really poor.

Take this Tweet for instance. Nobody seems to have noticed that 1.2 + 1.2 does not equal 3.5.

OAP's and healthcare and cohort 4 and 7 didn't need to register.
    The registration would link in with when the online registration portal opened for all others age related.

Edit: But three comments now would suggest it is not clear what is meant.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

1.2M fully vaccinated = 2 x 1.2M = 2.4M
    1.2 first doses = 1.2M

Total vaccines administered = 3.6M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

1.2 first doses = 1.2M

Add in J&J being a single jab and the figures look like they line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Has anyone registered twice in different locations? Or can can you change your location ?

I’m 35 and registered in south Dublin . Grew up and family house in Cork. All my 35 year friends in cork have got text and date for first vaccine already.

I'd imagine your PPS number and my mobile would conflict if you try to register again.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

1.2 first doses = 1.2M

Accounting for J&J

1.13 * 2 = 2.26
    Add in J&J
    2.26 + .07 = 2.33

2.33 + 1.2 = 3.53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Aviva doing Pfizer next Monday

Advertisement