Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,791 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting chart of latest vaccination numbers. The fact that so many people in their 50s have been fully vaccinated can probably be explained by them mostly receiving Pfizer and Moderna

E4qFqflWQAQc0ec?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Also no online booking . My son is in Canada and they register and can book a slot online . Very handy as they have a young baby so needed to space their slot a few days apart in case they had symptoms . As far as I know the booked when asked to according to age groups
    I don’t understand why that couldn’t have been possible here . So many have work or family commitments etc

It makes the whole thing more complicated and opens the government to complaints and outrage when all the dates keep filling up as they initially open - like the frustration with Ticketmaster when concert tickets sell out instantly.

I am in the US and got my vaccines under that system. It has its plusses, like you mentioned, but the Irish media would adore using it as a stick to beat the government when it is just simple supply and demand. I don't believe the Irish psyche could handle that system - it would keep Liveline going for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting chart of latest vaccination numbers. The fact that so many people in their 50s have been fully vaccinated can probably be explained by them mostly receiving Pfizer and Moderna

Interesting chart. Good uptake so far in older age groups.

Plus 25% of 30-39 have already got at least first dose. Bodes well for speeding through the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

The relatively higher uptake among older/vulnerable population is very good (bottom right).

556746.jpg
    Source:@FergalBowers

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It makes the whole thing more complicated and opens the government to complaints and outrage when all the dates keep filling up as they initially open - like the frustration with Ticketmaster when concert tickets sell out instantly.

I am in the US and got my vaccines under that system. It has its plusses, like you mentioned, but the Irish media would adore using it as a stick to beat the government when it is just simple supply and demand. I don't believe the Irish psyche could handle that system - it would keep Liveline going for weeks.

Really? Seems pretty straightforward to me. It worked for the UK too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I disagree . It was straightforward and easy to book in your age group in Canada and in London .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wonder should we be doing antibody tests on people receiving their 1st vaccination- if it comes back positive for previous infection they should then be deemed fully vaccinated (1 jab + previous infection) Booster could then be considered at a later date? Would speed things up.

Absolutely not!
    The labs are barely able even to do the necessary tests for patients in hospitals. Even if things were going smoothly the vaccinations are rapidly outpacing any antibody tests.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Really? Seems pretty straightforward to me. It worked for the UK too.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I disagree . It was straightforward and easy to book in your age group in Canada and in London .

Can you explain to me how you avoid people and the media moaning when all the availability fills up initially for each age group or when there are never any 'good' times open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

snotboogie wrote: »
    Puts us at 76.5 per 100. Updated EU table below:

Well I suppose we are climbing up the table a little bit. I want us to be Belgium though.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Virtually all J&J went to people in their fifties. That is well over 80k people fully vaccinated in one shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DaSilva wrote: »
    So you think the correct interpretation is that everybody who registered has been fully vaccinated since both numbers are equal?

There is no interpretation required. The tweet is either logical or mathematical garbage.

I can't believe this needs explaining.

Can you explain to me how you avoid people and the media moaning when all the availability fills up initially for each age group or when there are never any 'good' times open?

In the UK they opened one age group at a time. Sometimes there were issues with availablity but if you tried a few hours later or the next day, some new slots would have opened up. It worked well and I don't believe there was much moaning about it.

As for 'good times', we're in a health emergency here. It's not a time to be picky. The vast majority of people are willing to go at whatever time they can get, but it is easier if they have multiple appointment options rather than being told to be in a certain place at a certain time.

Who cares if a few cranks call up Joe Duffy for a whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

At the risk of using the dreaded phrase "the next few weeks are vital" I think they are. Our most vulnerable aren't protected until those 60+ and cohorts 4 & 7 that got AZ have received their 2nd dose. ECDC predicts delta will be prevalent all over Europe by the end of August, and as it's taking off in the UK it will surely take off here in our unvaccinated.

With the plan to accelerate these AZ 2nd doses over the next 4 weeks, until those 60+ and cohorts 4 & 7 that got an AZ 1st dose, get their 2nd dose, we as a country are still at risk.

Logic suggests no further opening up of restrictions until our most vulnerable are protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In the UK they opened one age group at a time. Sometimes there were issues with availablity but if you tried a few hours later or the next day, some new slots would have opened up. It worked well and I don't believe there was much moaning about it.

As for 'good times', we're in a health emergency here. It's not a time to be picky. The vast majority of people are willing to go at whatever time they can get, but it is easier if they have multiple appointment options rather than being told to be in a certain place at a certain time.

I think it's more that it's unneeded, take up is good, those most at risk are getting it first, everyone will get their turn, why change it so a few people can take advantage of scripts to get their shots while others get annoyed at no slots being open.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Absolutely not!
    The labs are barely able even to do the necessary tests for patients in hospitals. Even if things were going smoothly the vaccinations are rapidly outpacing any antibody tests.

I do think we have spare capacity at the moment, the last reported numbers (a month ago) for swabs were around 18-19k a day, and I would expect this to have decreased. We even have walk-in centres and free test for people that travels, which I'm sure would be deprioritised if there was any capacity issue. At peak I think we were able to do over 25k tests.
    But yes it's still absolutely not possible, as we would need to do an extra 40k tests a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

muddypuppy wrote: »
    I do think we have spare capacity at the moment, the last reported numbers (a month ago) for swabs were around 18-19k a day, and I would expect this to have decreased. We even have walk-in centres and free test for people that travels, which I'm sure would be deprioritised if there was any capacity issue. At peak I think we were able to do over 25k tests.
    But yes it's still absolutely not possible, as we would need to do an extra 40k tests a day.

You are mixing antibody testing with antigen testing. Two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

We got a decent shipment of AstraZeneca this week and will get a huge one next week so expect that empty over 60's space to fill in in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,791 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We got a decent shipment of AstraZeneca this week and will get a huge one next week so expect that empty over 60's space to fill in in the near future.

From what I've heard, they expect the vast bulk of AZ second doses to be completed in the next two / three weeks - by around July 12th or so.

Have you seen the difference in the amount of moaning from the Irish media and the English or US? The Irish media have non-stop been running the worst case scenario and I guarantee it would have been the same when people logged in and there was no availability using that system. Claire Byrne would be giddy to run stories about how there are 'vaccine hunters' trying to help people find slots, a thing that was rampant with this system in the US and still is in Canada.

I don't get your logic here at all, you seem to be making my point for me.

The OP is the one that is being picky, complaining that Irish people aren't getting their choice of time to schedule their vaccine like other nations.

I agree with it being a health emergency and that is why the simplest system is to give people a set time and allow them to reschedule if they can't make it - the one the Irish system is using and people are complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Vaccines working fantastically against the Delta variant in Israel.
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1408124224200392712?s=21

I'm getting a "Tweet unavailable" message

How were you after your second Pfzer btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm getting a "Tweet unavailable" message

How were you after your second Pfzer btw?

Updated link:
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1408125312626577412?s=21

Was just very very tired, no pains or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

link not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Updated link:
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1408125312626577412?s=21

Was just very very tired, no pains or anything

A reporter posted the same tweet as above but then had this underneath

Worth noting that data from the Health Ministry reportedly shows 50% of vaccinated people who caught the Delta variant developing symptoms so the data is conflicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

working now great stuff. tired sore a sniffles thats it feeling better now az yesterday. is it weird but both jabs after i thought my smell and taste improved dramatically it fades back after a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A reporter posted the same tweet as above but then had this underneath

Worth noting that data from the Health Ministry reportedly shows 50% of vaccinated people who caught the Delta variant developing symptoms so the data is conflicting.

As long as they aren’t hospitalised the vaccine’s working as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Applied for vaccination on 21st.

Appointment on 28/06 confirmed.

39 years old.

wonski wrote: »
    Applied for vaccination on 21st.

Appointment on 28/06 confirmed.

39 years old.

What part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Mate 39 got his appointment for next Monday. Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

As long as they aren’t hospitalised the vaccine’s working as intended.

Why is everyone ignoring long covid? Genuine question. The numbers of people , all ages, having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms. Can't wait until they show that vaccines prevent long term symptoms also, then I'll relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Bellie1 wrote: »
    Why is everyone ignoring long covid? Genuine question. The numbers of people , all ages, having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms. Can't wait until they show that vaccines prevent long term symptoms also, then I'll relax.

Considering I’ve been hearing that vaccination has had a good impact on countering long covid symptoms, I think you can relax a bit.

Advertisement