Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What part of the country?

Kildare County.

Vaccination to be done at Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Bellie1 wrote: »
    Why is everyone ignoring long covid? Genuine question. The numbers of people , all ages, having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms. Can't wait until they show that vaccines prevent long term symptoms also, then I'll relax.

Have you any statistics for this statement?

Maybe if you stay indoors for the foreseeable future you can relax, whilst the rest of us get on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why is everyone ignoring long covid? Genuine question. The numbers of people , all ages, having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms. Can't wait until they show that vaccines prevent long term symptoms also, then I'll relax.
    There's no evidence to back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm fully on board with vaccines, had my firsr 2 weeks ago, hoping to get the 2nd friday week.

Fully on board with easing of restrictions.

I do have a concern about mutations and therefore am not clamouring for doing away with masks and hand sanitising.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

The reason we went into lockdown was to prevent hospitals from being overrun with covid patients needing ICU.

If long covid prevents us from re-opening, the next thing is we will have people calling for Christmas to be cancelled due to concerns about the seasonal flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,383 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was told this evening that my local GP had opened up a portal for those over the age of 25 that haven't already been vaccinated. Provided you are on their books, IF there were surplus vaccines you MAY get a call. Essentially a waiting list.

Registered anyway at about 17.25 and less than half an hour later I got a call back for my first appointment for Wednesday week. And my second appointment the first Wednesday in August. Pfizer. I am 33 with no underlying illnes so I assume the timeline isn't much quicker than if I registered on the HSE website, but absolutely delighted to have a definitive date and end game. Although I feel somewhat guilty that I may be skipping the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was told this evening that my local GP had opened up a portal for those over the age of 25 that haven't already been vaccinated. Provided you are on their books, IF there were surplus vaccines you MAY get a call. Essentially a waiting list.

Registered anyway at about 17.25 and less than half an hour later I got a call back for my first appointment for Wednesday week. And my second appointment the first Wednesday in August. Pfizer. I am 33 with no underlying illnes so I assume the timeline isn't much quicker than if I registered on the HSE website, but absolutely delighted to have a definitive date and end game. Although I feel somewhat guilty that I may be skipping the queue.

I wouldn't I seen a post earlier from a friend who is 22 from the doctor's office where her and her 18 year old sister were getting first doses, I say if the doctors have them let them use them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mightyreds wrote: »
    I wouldn't I seen a post earlier from a friend who is 22 from the doctor's office where her and her 18 year old sister were getting first doses, I say if the doctors have them let them use them all up.

26 myself and got first dose Pfizer from the GP yesterday cause they'd a spare dose.

Seems to be a good bit of it going on alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Although I feel somewhat guilty that I may be skipping the queue.

Nah, if it was 6 months ago and you were skipping 80 year olds, then maybe. Now you're stopping it from going down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Nah, if it was 6 months ago and you were skipping 80 year olds, then maybe. Now you're stopping it from going down the drain.

Felt the same myself yesterday tbh because I didn't expect to get it for a few more weeks but the GP said either use it or they'd to bin it as it was drawn up already so the clock was ticking.

I'd rather get it myself than see it binned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Felt the same myself yesterday tbh because I didn't expect to get it for a few more weeks but the GP said either use it or they'd to bin it as it was drawn up already so the clock was ticking.

I'd rather get it myself than see it binned

My cousin a HCW got AZ who’s now fully vaccinated got a bit pissy with me yesterday when I told him herself and myself(both 32) were getting our first doses next Thursday through our GP, the GP offered and we ain’t going to refuse.
    If it was 3/4 months ago then yes I’d have to think about it as I’d be possibly taking a dose from my cousin or someone vulnerable but that isn’t the case anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Registration hasn't opened yet for people under 35 and will probably be at least another few weeks so bit ahead alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

To get out of this mess we need all vaccinators working at capacity. As gps don't work off the portal, their patient list is the logical way to go.
    There is also the added bonus that at least some percentage of the younger age groups are protected and should slow down the spread in those age groups.
    It may not be 100% fair, but every vaccine administered is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

There's no evidence to back this up.

2m in the UK have or had long COVID. It effects 1 in 10 according to the Zoe study, a much higher number than severe cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sister and I getting second Pfizer next Monday in GP

Dad getting second AZ next Thursday in City Hall Cork

Just over 9 weeks since dose one

Great to have 3/5 in family fully vaccinated next week

Hopefully mom won't be waiting too long for second AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Probes wrote: »
    2m in the UK have or had long COVID. It effects 1 in 10 according to the Zoe study, a much higher number than severe cases.
    That doesn't prove any of the things you wrote about. You said "having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How can they have spare doses for Wednesday week already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Probes wrote: »

John Campbell (usually very on the ball with stats) said not so long ago it was 1 in 20

So what changed?

What are they counting as Long Covid and what is actually just post viral fatigue that you'd get with many milder viruses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    John Campbell (usually very on the ball with stats) said not so long ago it was 1 in 20

So what changed?

What are they counting as Long Covid and what is actually just post viral fatigue that you'd get with many milder viruses?

A huge percentage of people’s main symptom of ‘Long Covid’ was anxiety and depression. 20% or 1 in 5. Of course taking away one’s freedoms, lockdowns, livelihoods being lost, putting wall to wall Covid doom and gloom on the TV 24-7 has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

A huge percentage of people’s main symptom of ‘Long Covid’ was anxiety and depression. 20% or 1 in 5. Of course taking away one’s freedoms, lockdowns, livelihoods being lost, putting wall to wall Covid doom and gloom on the TV 24-7 has nothing to do with it.

Losing your sense of smell and taste for months, of course you will end up depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ShineOn7 wrote: »

So what changed?

Stats in relation to anything related to this pandemic are very dynamic.

Long covid can mean different things and can be broadly broken down into four categories:

After effects of ventilation.
    Organ and tissue damage from the virus
    Post viral fatigue
    Covid misc that don't fit into the above e.g prolonged loss of smell or shortness of breath

Some researchers prefer three categories:
    Hospitalisations with ventilation
    Hospitalisation without ventilation
    Non hospitalisation

Both of which have advantages and disadvantages. A bit like some vaccines studies comparing like with like can get very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

SJFly wrote: »
    To get out of this mess we need all vaccinators working at capacity. As gps don't work off the portal, their patient list is the logical way to go.
    There is also the added bonus that at least some percentage of the younger age groups are protected and should slow down the spread in those age groups.
    It may not be 100% fair, but every vaccine administered is good news.

We have large stockpiles of vaccines. Best estimate would be well over a million unused doses of mostly Pfizer..
    The MVCs are now at maximum capacity of maybe 300,000 a week. That's not enough.
    This is why the HSE is now looking at other means of getting them out. 300 pharmacies will be getting Pfizer deliveries from next week and GPs have been told they can have as many as they want and to give them to whoever they want.

190,000 registered with portal in 35-39 cohort. Less than 50% of those eligible. Possibly because a lot of 30s have already gotten it through GPs. 40s now nearly completed. So expect portal to open for 30 -34 by end of next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The reason we went into lockdown was to prevent hospitals from being overrun with covid patients needing ICU.

If long covid prevents us from re-opening, the next thing is we will have people calling for Christmas to be cancelled due to concerns about the seasonal flu.

I guess these are the kind of things we can revise as situations change. Sure we went into lockdown to protect the vulnerable from dying but now we are a few months from vaccinating everyone in the country, something that could not be foreseen at the time and that might mean trying to reduce the number of people who get the disease at all.
    If we were another say 2+ years from a vaccine I'd feel we'd need to find a way to "live with covid" but we're in a great position to wipe it from our country and who knows maybe long term our economy (and more importantly people's health) is better for it if it turns out long covid is more serious than we realise.

This is all speculation of course but I think it is healthy to look at alternate points of views rather than what I've seen on boards lately of suspicions of conspiracies to restrict people forever or ruin their pubs (something I work in off topic) if someone is more cautious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

robinbird wrote: »
    We have large stockpiles of vaccines. Best estimate would be well over a million unused doses of mostly Pfizer..

Have to ask where you're getting the figures.

Irish Time reports

4,220,570 delivered
    3,705,755 administered

That leaves about 500,000 left to cover about 10 days of vaccinations.
    robinbird wrote: »
    The MVCs are now at maximum capacity of maybe 300,000 a week. That's not enough.

Haven't MVCs already administered in excess of 350k/week?

Isn't the limitation vaccine supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cork2021 wrote: »
    My cousin a HCW got AZ who’s now fully vaccinated got a bit pissy with me yesterday when I told him herself and myself(both 32) were getting our first doses next Thursday through our GP, the GP offered and we ain’t going to refuse.
    If it was 3/4 months ago then yes I’d have to think about it as I’d be possibly taking a dose from my cousin or someone vulnerable but that isn’t the case anymore!

That's a pity, hypothesis outrage is all too prevalent. Your actions did not stop someone more vulnerable from getting a dose at this stage, and you acted the best you could based on the options available to us. Would love if they opened up the possibility for people 18+ to register for vaccines e.g. through doctors, alongside the age-based rollout. If you're desperate to get the vaccine, you probably have actual reasons to be. Living with vulnerable people, working on-site, living with lots of other people etc. I don't think we should continue the age based rollout below age 30 (as the plans for that are already in place) and just open it to 18+ at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The latest ECDC data in the EU vaccine tracker is:

Vaccine Delivered Administered
    Comirnaty 2,855,970 2,477,533
    Janssen 163,100 72,001
    Moderna 380,400 317,116
    Vaxzevria 821,100 839,105
    ALL 4,220,570 3,705,755

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OConnorDavid

Anyone get a text about an appointment? I'm 38 and registered on Monday. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Anyone get a text about an appointment? I'm 38 and registered on Monday. Thanks

There’s a whole separate thread full of people discussing exactly that in the coronavirus forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

That doesn't prove any of the things you wrote about. You said "having long term symptoms is apparently quite high, even when they only mild symptoms"

Obviously all 2m didn't have severe Covid, it seems logical to me anyway. Here is what the nhs say about it, it's not linked to the severity of illness:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/long-term-effects-of-coronavirus-long-covid/

Advertisement