Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

eoinbn wrote: »
    If they stick to the age cohorts it will be the end of July, not June

How are you arriving at that? Seems a bit off based on targets and estimates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Am I right in calculating ~14 days until a 33 year old can register for a vaccine?

Love having a tangible target to count down to :D

33 here as well and I tried projecting this earlier today based on most recent data (I was bored today).

I came out with a pessimistic projection of five weeks from today to actually getting the vaccine, and optimistic around four weeks. So registration likely in four or three weeks from now. That’s based on:

- ~300k doses per week for next few weeks (being conservative here) with increasing proportion of second doses in coming weeks (60/40 split in favour of first doses)
    - The remaining population size between ages 50 and 33 (still some over 50s to be done or to register however)
    - ~6% refusal/not registering
    - ~ 13% aged 33-50 already vaccinated (likely high concentration of the ~260k HCW’s done to date in this age profile and a small allowance for others done in Cohort 4/7)

Doesn’t take into account availability/supply in the context of mRNA only/unless nothing else available.

* This is all complete guesswork on my part, very loosely grounded in the available data *

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    If memory serves there's two main Covid sub Reddits

Which do you find the best for information on vaccines?

r/covidvaccinated is for people that got vaccinated and talk about the experience.

Yes the other two are r/covid19 and r/coronavirus, one is all medical journals other general chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How are you arriving at that? Seems a bit off based on targets and estimates?

Targets went out the window when J&J ran into trouble.

There is about 1.4m people between between 27-50. Some will have already been done but there will also be cohort 7 in June.

4 weeks of 185k first doses vaccinates 740k in June. Those 185k people now need second doses so first doses will likely fall even with a supply boost in July. Even if we can continue with 185k first doses, very unlikely, it will still take 7+ weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

mikeorange wrote: »
    r/covidvaccinated is for people that got vaccinated and talk about the experience.

Thanks

And jaysus @ the stories on there re: the side effects after the second shot of Moderna

A needed sacrifice I suppose and they seem to pass eventually from what I'm reading there

Another thing is - reading between the lines - some of those talking about side effects on there have obviously never got Travel vaccines or similar in their lives

1-3 days of feeling a bit weird/fatigued, especially in the arm you got the shot, is normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m seeing an amazing number of online comments using data last updated on 11 May (due to HSE hack) claiming Ireland is way, way behind on vaccines.

The lack of data on vaccines & on the COVID figures is getting a bit worrying at this stage. It’s going on far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Zipppy wrote: »
    Missus got J&J yesterday..not feeling great at all today..in bed since lunchtime...anyother J&J experiences?

I got the J&J yesterday morning and felt fine all day. However, had a bad night twisting/turning and feeling pretty crap now if I'm honest. Bit of a temp too but mostly just feel rotten. I hope it gets better rather than worse during the day.

Small price to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Raphael Picard

Azatadine wrote: »
    I got the J&J yesterday morning and felt fine all day. However, had a bad night twisting/turning and feeling pretty crap now if I'm honest. Bit of a temp too but mostly just feel rotten. I hope it gets better rather than worse during the day.

Small price to pay!

I also got the J&J vaccine yesterday morning. Slept well last night, and feel normal today, other than that the area around the injection area is sore and a bit numb. Sorry to hear about your side-effects. I hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Does anyone know the number of vaccines administered since figures were stopped being released ?

I found the figures of 50k daily at one stage being reported as a great lift and boost to the morale of a lot of people.

Since the HSE hack we've had no figures released.
    I know its probably not high on the agenda of the top brass of the HSE , but it's shows how out of touch and not getting the mood of the nation on things .

Then we have Holohan saying the new variant is a dark cloud of the horizon , despite reports from UK saying the opposite. Why would you say this without any concrete hard data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I’m seeing an amazing number of online comments using data last updated on 11 May (due to HSE hack) claiming Ireland is way, way behind on vaccines.

The lack of data on vaccines & on the COVID figures is getting a bit worrying at this stage. It’s going on far too long.

Not much they can do due to the hack still affecting systems, give them time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anyone know the number of vaccines administered since figures were stopped being released ?

I found the figures of 50k daily at one stage being reported as a great lift and boost to the morale of a lot of people.

Since the HSE hack we've had no figures released.

Paul Reid said on Sunday "well over 2.4 million people having received at least one dose".

edit: hang on, from the same article:
    Prof Brian MacCraith said on Sunday 45 per cent of adults have had their first dose and 15 per cent are fully vaccinated. The cyberattack has limited the available data on vaccinations.

Both those statements cannot be true, because 45% of 3.7-3.9m is 1.665-1.775m.

I assume MacCraith was going off the old data.

edit again: it's possible that they're both wrong, and that Reid was quoting total doses. According to OWID the total doses on 11 May was 1.92m, so 45k/day would have brought us to 2.4m total doses on 22 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

eoinbn wrote: »
    Targets went out the window when J&J ran into trouble.

There is about 1.4m people between between 27-50. Some will have already been done but there will also be cohort 7 in June.

4 weeks of 185k first doses vaccinates 740k in June. Those 185k people now need second doses so first doses will likely fall even with a supply boost in July. Even if we can continue with 185k first doses, very unlikely, it will still take 7+ weeks.

I'm 34 and the vaccine calculator are giving an estimation of between 2 and 4 weeks.

Given that they’re not even registering 40-45 year, I’d say 4 weeks is optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'm 34 and the vaccine calculator are giving an estimation of between 2 and 4 weeks.
    Really depends where you are. Find a Dublin or Cork address as they seem to be blitzing through age groups! Maybe registered in 2-4 weeks but I doubt there will be many shots in arms in that age group by then.

Anyone know what time the Greystones MVC finishes up vaccinating for the day?
    Are the vaccinating in the evenings there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I got the Janssen (J&J) this morning. Feeling fine so far. Arm is a bit sore around the injection area but no other side effects so far.

Missus finally feels a bit better today..other friends (all female if that counts..) also suffered following J&J..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Given that they’re not even registering 40-45 year, I’d say 4 weeks is optimistic.

On Morning Ireland the wording was both that it would open later in the week and/or that an announcement would be made on 40-44 later in the week. Who knows which presenter got it right, but I'd presume still opening on Thur / Fri.

It is moving simultaneously fast (300k per week!) and sluggish (in perception and because of the slow first 3-4 months) and agree they should be collating and publishing vaccine figures already.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

Any word when they are going to drop the 2 week isolation for fully vaccinated that have been exposed to Covid?

Surely they have to drop that soon when restrictions are lowered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

When do the next group open for the jab?

As I understand it - it was 49-45 last week, with 45 year olds registering on Sunday last (2 days ago)?

I had thought it would then be 44 yesterday, 43 today and so on?

Or is the next "age bracket" not open to register yet???

TIA

Hooked wrote: »

As I understand it - it was 49-45 last week, with 45 year olds registering on Sunday last (2 days ago)?

TIA

Registration is currently open to people aged 45 and older only.

No official clarity has been provided as to when that will change.

• Advertisement

On Morning Ireland the wording was both that it would open later in the week and/or that an announcement would be made on 40-44 later in the week. Who knows which presenter got it right, but I'd presume still opening on Thur / Fri.

It is moving simultaneously fast (300k per week!) and sluggish (in perception and because of the slow first 3-4 months) and agree they should be collating and publishing vaccine figures already.

The public perception and certainly what I’m hearing from the business community is that it’s sluggish or not moving at all. The old data has already been used by at least one business lobby group who just pulled off straight from Our World in Data, without any understanding that the data was out of date.

I think public and business perception of the vaccine programme here, and to degree abroad (especially from what I’m hearing from the US and UK) is that Ireland’s rollout is behind the rest of Europe and that we’re a laggard.

That’s a communication failure by the government. Even with the hack, they need to be getting that information out. They’re still physically delivering the vaccine. It can’t be that difficult to get the numbers from the warehouse / logistics systems and publish a best estimate. It’s unlikely to be out by much, given it’s a very centralised supply chain with just one source.

Just publish daily doses delivered rather than daily doses administered. It’s not like there’s a vast difference as it’s all ‘just in time’

People are just looking at images like this and if looks like we’re are way behind, even if that’s just because the data is not up to date:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita?tab=map&time=latest&region=Europe&country=~IRL

We look to be >10% behind European peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

TIA

It will either open later in the week or we'll be told when it's opening later in the week. I suspect it will be in the next few days because some MVCs are doing the 47-48s now so will need the next lot to be registered before too long. Ultimately registering a few days later will mean a few days less between registering and getting an appointment, because the 'delay' in registering won't actually delay us in getting vaccinated.

I still however retain the right to be in an almighty sulk tomorrow because I'm not getting to register when I'd hoped to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I work in Dublin (10 minute walk to the Aviva) but live down the country, is there an option to somehow select the Aviva when registering or could I use my work address? It would make sense for me to get it there as I'm up there everyday for work. Wouldn't mind if I had to go up on the weekend either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Registered last wednesday online.
    Rang this morning, just to ensure all was in order and was advised nothing was booked yet and it would be three weeks before I get called up?
    Anecdotally, that seems quite a wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TIA

It has generally been 7-10 days between the 'end' of one bracket and the start of the next. They don't roll immediately into the next because they still need to actually get vaccination done for large proportions of the bracket finishing, and you need space to accomodate second jabs as well.

Akabusi wrote: »
    I work in Dublin (10 minute walk to the Aviva) but live down the country, is there an option to somehow select the Aviva when registering or could I use my work address? It would make sense for me to get it there as I'm up there everyday for work. Wouldn't mind if I had to go up on the weekend either.

I think it’s just using the Eircode provided to get you to your nearest MVC. So it’s going to be relative to your home address, not your work.

AFAIK, you can put in whatever address you want when you register.

You will be asked for proof of ID at the vaccination centre, but not proof of address.

Use your work address and eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

A colleague of mine was in the same situation. He used his work addres/eircode and he got an appointment for the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Thanks, yeah works better for me so I'll use work address.

Advertisement