Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The problem there is NIAC, will likely take 4 weeks to make a decision, and you can bet it will be ultra conservative so no blame can be laid on them. :(

They were prompt on the 8 week dose interval adjustment to AZ.

Russman wrote: »
    That's what I thought, there was talk of c140k people in their 50s still unvaccinated, but I think up to a day or two ago only 2,750 doses were administered by pharmacies. I was surprised to see that number so low tbh.
    Perhaps they're waiting for Pfizer, taking a calculated (if misguided) risk as long as incidence remains low.

I also wonder how many of these people live along the border, or have children living in the North, and might have gotten vaccinated in the north.

Anyone I know who had that option seems to have done it. You don't need to have an NHS number, just an address, and the vaccinators don't seem to care. This option might especially have been taken by people who weren't in the initial priority lists but were worried on the basis of age, like those in their 50s.

Those people will all be counted as unvaccinated, and it's impossible to know how many did it/ are doing it. I would imagine it runs well into the tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Perhaps they're waiting for Pfizer, taking a calculated (if misguided) risk as long as incidence remains low.

I also wonder how many of these people live along the border, or have children living in the North, and might have gotten vaccinated in the north.

Anyone I know who had that option seems to have done it. You don't need to have an NHS number, just an address, and the vaccinators don't seem to care. This option might especially have been taken by people who weren't in the initial priority lists but were worried on the basis of age, like those in their 50s.

Those people will all be counted as unvaccinated, and it's impossible to know how many did it/ are doing it. I would imagine it runs well into the tens of thousands.

I've three colleagues, all Dublin-based but with old addresses up north. All went up, got a dose of Pfizer, then heard it was a 12 week delay for 2nd, so registered down here and got their second dose in an MVC. No idea how the records will work, but that's at least 3 people gonna be no-shows for their 2nd appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

The problem there is NIAC, will likely take 4 weeks to make a decision, and you can bet it will be ultra conservative so no blame can be laid on them. :(

What blame ? If someone, God forbid, gets blood clots after getting a vaccine they won't be able to sue NIAC. There's no blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,788 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They have a tiny bit of breathing space. It looks like the giving of AZ second doses will finish up somewhere around July 12th-19th, so they probably have until then to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Turtwig wrote: »

They were prompt on that occasion however they have gone from 12 weeks, to 16 weeks, back to 12 weeks then 8 weeks.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

I've three colleagues, all Dublin-based but with old addresses up north. All went up, got a dose of Pfizer, then heard it was a 12 week delay for 2nd, so registered down here and got their second dose in an MVC. No idea how the records will work, but that's at least 3 people gonna be no-shows for their 2nd appointment.
    I'm very tempted to do it (we've just moved), but am concerned about being ineligible for the EU Travel Certificate

I assume registration in the south for myself and OH (33 and 34) will open in the coming fortnight so might just hang on for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I don't think NIAC have to be too quick with their advice on AZ as we're not expected to have any free doses until mid to late July when the 60s will be finished getting their 2nd doses.

I think it'll be a hard sell to under 30s to take the AZ vaccine and will look bad in my opinion but I'm sure others will disagree. First of all need to wait an extra 4 weeks to be fully vaccinated and all over 18s are expected to get a first dose by end of August anyway so would probably be fully vaccinated about the same time. On top of that it'll look bad by NPHET to say AZ is not safe for 30 - 60 but now it's OK for under 30s. If J&J was offered I'd think a lot more would opt for the one and done vaccine to be gully vaccinated quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I really wouldn't want to be doing this then trying to figure out how to get an EU travel cert. Could be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Looking at the contact tracing reports in Australia (yes people lie but there's an ugly trend) delta is way more infectious. PHE analysis also supports this.
    I wonder if this alters risk benefit for the viral vectors in younger cohorts. Be interesting to see what MHRA and EMA state in their updated reviews. Maybe NIAC will revisit their advice?

What's the link to those reports? I tried searching for them but got the exposure settings page and the guidelines page.

• Advertisement

Not sure if people have seen this already, Our World in Data have added new charts for age brackets for vaccination rates:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccine-by-age?country=~IRL

There is one for first doses and one for fully vaccinated. Reassuring to see uptake in excess of 90% for the 50+ age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Klonker wrote: »
    I don't think NIAC have to be too quick with their advice on AZ as we're not expected to have any free doses until mid to late July when the 60s will be finished getting their 2nd doses.

I think it'll be a hard sell to under 30s to take the AZ vaccine and will look bad in my opinion but I'm sure others will disagree. First of all need to wait an extra 4 weeks to be fully vaccinated and all over 18s are expected to get a first dose by end of August anyway so would probably be fully vaccinated about the same time. On top of that it'll look bad by NPHET to say AZ is not safe for 30 - 60 but now it's OK for under 30s. If J&J was offered I'd think a lot more would opt for the one and done vaccine to be gully vaccinated quicker.

I agree on all that apart from the bold part. They have never said it was unsafe. It's all down to risk vs benefit. That varies on age, incidence of covid and now a new variant.
    It's people peddling that lie about it being unsafe that causes people to think twice about taking AZ (if they are offered it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Not sure if people have seen this already, Our World in Data have added new charts for age brackets for vaccination rates:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccine-by-age?country=~IRL

There is one for first doses and one for fully vaccinated. Reassuring to see uptake in excess of 90% for the 50+ age groups.

Why are the 70-79 and 80+ groups showing as over 100%?

VG31 wrote: »
    Why are the 70-79 and 80+ groups showing as over 100%?

Wondering about that myself as well. Could be some data discrepancy or maybe some have got 3 doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Wondering about that myself as well. Could be some data discrepancy or maybe some have got 3 doses?

Could it be outdated population data perhaps? The uptake for younger age groups looks very good but it's hard to be sure of the data's accuacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

AdamD wrote: »
    I really wouldn't want to be doing this then trying to figure out how to get an EU travel cert. Could be a nightmare

If you provide proof of the first vax when getting the second vax, they can add it into the system when you’re there. So you’d be down as fully vaxxed. HSE have this in their training docs online for the Covax database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I agree on all that apart from the bold part. They have never said it was unsafe. It's all down to risk vs benefit. That varies on age, incidence of covid and now a new variant.
    It's people peddling that lie about it being unsafe that causes people to think twice about taking AZ (if they are offered it)

OK I get what you mean. When I said unsafe it was a quick way of saying that their risk from vaccine severe adverse reaction was only half as risk to severe covid reaction. I don't think we know enough on the Delta variant to say that ratio of risk has changed on an individual level. We were also told Alpha variant was causing more hospitalisations but Cillian De Gascun said that we did not see a noticeable increase here in Ireland.

I still think of we give people under 30 a choice of AZ vaccine very little will take it up. Would of been a different response if it was a month or 2 ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

OK I get what you mean. When I said unsafe it was a quick way of saying that their risk from vaccine severe adverse reaction was only half as risk to severe covid reaction. I don't think we know enough on the Delta variant to say that ratio of risk has changed on an individual level. We were also told Alpha variant was causing more hospitalisations but Cillian De Gascun said that we did not see a noticeable increase here in Ireland.

I still think of we give people under 30 a choice of AZ vaccine very little will take it up. Would of been a different response if it was a month or 2 ago.

Also, younger people, more so in men, are aware of the ongoing and published link with myocarditis and pericarditis - second dose of MRNA (so Pfizer and Moderna etc). American FDA to add as a note of warning of side effects etc. Delta is growing at a fast rate, doubling in many EU countries, including, with younger people needing to get vaccinated. AZ mixing with MRNA is an option maybe.

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1408185498707709954?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't think it's a guarantee the 18-24 grouping have a Pfizer vaccine by end of August so to me, if they got AZ or J&J, they'd be vaccinated fully quicker (and obviously have some protection a lot quicker)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Anecdotal, but both parents were due their 2nd AZ (mid 60s) in 6 weeks time, but got called this week, a lot of friends of my mother in similar age bracket also called this week (to Citywest)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Skygord wrote: »

This time last year we were in phase 2 of reopening.
    IIRC schools were still closed, essential retail only etc.

By the old model, we would be in the equivalent of phase 4 for the last month, so it's reassuring to see greater social interaction, with the same or less COVID cases.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e5e599-government-publishes-roadmap-to-ease-covid-19-restrictions-and-reope/#phase-2-8-june

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I'm very tempted to do it (we've just moved), but am concerned about being ineligible for the EU Travel Certificate

I assume registration in the south for myself and OH (33 and 34) will open in the coming fortnight so might just hang on for that.

You'd be better off to just tell the HSE that you'd been living in the North and moved. They'll complete the registration properly then.

Otherwise you could end up between two systems and stuck with no Irish/EU or UK cert and I'm not sure about the safety of taking 3 doses.

They can complete a dose here if you just call them on 1850 24 1850 and explain what's going on. You might need the batch number or something, but it can be done for people who've moved from the UK or other EU countries etc.

They need to capture the medical details for their database so they can issue the certs basically. I don't think they'll be that bothered about you having had a vaccine in the NHS system, just that the data is accurate for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Got my first dose just there. GP surgery rang me and said they had spare doses. It was in the syringe ready to go when I went in, just jabbed me in the waiting room there and then. Over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Great news! 40% of adults fully vaccinated!

https://twitter.com/michealmartintd/status/1408472454230646797?s=21

You'd be better off to just tell the HSE that you'd been living in the North and moved. They'll complete the registration properly then.

Otherwise you could end up between two systems and stuck with no Irish/EU or UK cert and I'm not sure about the safety of taking 3 doses.

They can complete a dose here if you just call them on 1850 24 1850 and explain what's going on. You might need the batch number or something, but it can be done for people who've moved from the UK or other EU countries etc.

They need to capture the medical details for their database so they can issue the certs basically. I don't think they'll be that bothered about you having had a vaccine in the NHS system, just that the data is accurate for safety.

Sorry, I should have been clearer... we've moved north from the south. I still have an address in Dublin. Herself and I could probably get vaccinated pretty quickly locally, but that means no EU travel cert. So if they open registration for 30-34y.o.'s soon, it might be preferable to wait a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how much of a big deal the absence of an EU travel cert is going to be, but it might create unnecessary hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,788 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a guarantee the 18-24 grouping have a Pfizer vaccine by end of August so to me, if they got AZ or J&J, they'd be vaccinated fully quicker (and obviously have some protection a lot quicker)

Interesting vox pop of people in Ennis in their 20s on Drivetime earlier. Most of them said they would have no problem taking AZ or J & J and would be happy just to be offered a vaccine. So the idea that they would mostly refuse AZ or J & J if offered it might have very little substance in fact (especially with talk now that the AZ second dose might be shortened even further).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    "Israel's coronavirus czar Dr. Nahman Ash said Thursday that Israel will reinstate its indoor mask mandate beginning Sunday, in light of the recent rise in coronavirus cases across Israel. Ash said that the government is working on bringing more Pfizer vaccines to Israel. If Israel is unsuccessful in attaining new vaccines, it will run out in July, when Israel's store of vaccines is set to expire.
    /QUOTE]

I know people love quoting Israel re their vaccination rollout , but surely the fact that they have been restricting aid to Palestine , and are now talking about vaccines about to expire unused , is akin to a crime against humanity ?

Looking at the contact tracing reports in Australia (yes people lie but there's an ugly trend) delta is way more infectious. PHE analysis also supports this.
    I wonder if this alters risk benefit for the viral vectors in younger cohorts. Be interesting to see what MHRA and EMA state in their updated reviews. Maybe NIAC will revisit their advice?

It does and hopefully will convince NIAC to loosen up restrictions on at least J and J , if not AZ for men under 30 .

• Advertisement

Pressure from healthcare unions and rightly so .

Sounds like MM is pushing this issue .

Advertisement