Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Caquas wrote: »
    It was an issue with me, though the Delta variant now makes it critical, and it’s not just hindsight.

It was absurd to give AZ jabs to top priority groups even though that really put them to the back of the queue. What gets me is the fuss that was made about 16 cohorts, slicing and dicing the population for their first jab when they must have know the second jab is what matters (or didn’t they?)

At the time getting the first jab to people was more important than the second jab, it still is for the high risk cohorts, its just that we've given most of them one dose already.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

tfeldi wrote: »
    I can't get my head around the fact that cases in many European countries are dropping much faster than here. Germany reported 592 cases yesterday against 380 cases in Ireland - with a substantial difference in population. Reopening and vaccine roll out happen at a different pace - but not significantly different pace.

So, what is the reason and why is this not discussed much?

Could be the delta variant and could also be the climate. We have summer weather that’s more like many continental countries’ in autumn / early spring and is very wet.

I’m wondering if we tend to ignore the fact that we can’t really do the same degree of breezy, outdoorsy stuff. When we are outdoors it’s often huddled under shelters.

It’s clearly not the vaccine uptake anyway. That’s been very strong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Back in March everyone was was giving out that MM didint ask joe Biden for his extra AZ vaccines that they were not using. Then it was give everyone one shot and push out the second dose to 12 weeks just like the UK were doing. I think PK and Luke Oneill were big on this (its what that DATA is telling us u see Pat).
    People were also giving out we didnt take up the Russian ambassadors suggestion we buy their unapproved (in Eu) vaccine
    When NIAC suspended the use of AZ it same again now its all the GOVS fault for not seeing that a Variant has emergred
    If were could only run the vaccine program on Hindsight it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

poppers wrote: »
    Back in March everyone was was giving out that MM didint ask joe Biden for his extra AZ vaccines that they were not using. Then it was give everyone one shot and push out the second dose to 12 weeks just like the UK were doing. I think PK and Luke Oneill were big on this (its what that DATA is telling us u see Pat).
    People were also giving out we didnt take up the Russian ambassadors suggestion we buy their unapproved (in Eu) vaccine
    When NIAC suspended the use of AZ it same again now its all the GOVS fault for not seeing that a Variant has emergred
    If were could only run the vaccine program on Hindsight it would be great.
    Another one to add, when Germany suspended AZ use and had about a million in stock, people here were saying to swap our Pfizer current and future stock for their AZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

degsie wrote: »
    Still fuming I stepped forward for the AZ first dose and now feel totally exposed to the new variants. Won't happen next time!

At the time you had excellent protection against the known variants. You even have excellent protection against severe disease from delta after one dose (70%). After two doses this will be even greater.

The alternative would be no vaccine for a few weeks. Risk of severe disease to all variants and less of the population vaccinated. The quicker everyone is vaccinated the sooner we all have the best protection possible and can hopefully move on from this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Turtwig wrote: »
    At the time you had excellent protection against the known variants. You even have excellent protection against severe disease from delta after one dose (70%). After two doses this will be even greater.

The alternative would be no vaccine for a few weeks. Risk of severe disease to all variants and less of the population vaccinated. The quicker everyone is vaccinated the sooner we all have the best protection possible and can hopefully move on from this mess.

The largest study that has been done on the Delta Variant (by Public Health England) shows that two doses of AZ is 92% effective at preventing hospitalisation while Pfizer is 96%.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

Are people really obsessing about this 4%? Or do people just assume that AZ protection is much lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Graham wrote: »
    According to ECDC

Germany
    One Dose 60.9 %
    Fully Vaccinated 37.2 %

Ireland
    One Dose 63.8 %
    Fully Vaccinated 38.4 %

EU/EEA
    One Dose 57.9 %
    Fully Vaccinated 34.9 %

Looks like we're slightly ahead of Both Germany and EU average.

I assume that the adult population? We have a significantly younger population than Germany and the EU at large. In terms of doses per capita, Germany are abou 10% ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is revisionism, immunologists were advocating for us to follow the UK and stretch out the dosing regimes for mRNA as first dose efficacy against severe illness was so high. The delta variant has changed the thought process of a lot of people which is exactly hindsight as it didn't exist when these operational decisions were made.

Priority was made to not waste vaccines, get as many first doses into people as possible and vaccinate as quick as possible.

It wasn’t revisionism in March when the teachers and Guards threatened to go on strike over losing their priority (cohort 11, was it?)

First jabs give some protection but give no benefit under the reopening scheme i.e. your have to wait till you’re fully vaccinated to benefit e.g. travel.

My objection stands: the elaborate plan for sequencing the rollout to protect the most vulnerable has ended up putting many of the most vulnerable (over-60s) to the back of the queue. Yes, that’s with the benefit of hindsight but it should have been foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

It wasn’t revisionism in March when the teachers and Guards threatened to go on strike over losing their priority (cohort 11, was it?)

First jabs give some protection but give no benefit under the reopening scheme i.e. your have to wait till you’re fully vaccinated to benefit e.g. travel.

My objection stands: the elaborate plan for sequencing the rollout to protect the most vulnerable has ended up putting many of the most vulnerable (over-60s) to the back of the queue. Yes, that’s with the benefit of hindsight but it should have been foreseeable.

I have no idea how this is relevant to what you said and in fact it was absolutely the correct call to do an age based roll out. Thankfully we didn't bow down to unions on it.

Forget the "reopening scheme" as you call it. In March/April whatever vaccine you got first was the best one for anyone in an at risk category. Travel wasn't given a consideration at the time and rightly so.

Your last line literally says "with the benefit of hindsight but it should have been foreseeable" It's simple revisionism. If we hadn't of used those AZ dose (I got one) we would had close to 400,000 less people fully vaccinated and that would be nearly 600,000 by mid July.

It was the right decision at the time. It was still correct at end of May and I'd actually advocate its still the right decision now as Delta prevelance is still low and that cohort will be fully vaxxed by early July and 100,000s of others have gotten doses as a result.

News in Germany this morning that Moderna is going to deliver twice as many vaccines in the third quarter than was initially expected. Does this also bode well for us I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I think this is the biggest question facing us this summer. Looking at the level of educational disruption caused by Delta in the UK, whereby hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated children are currently self-isolating, it is quite possible that similar will happen here in the autumn. We won't have any children under 16 vaccinated by early September.

Was it before Christmas, they shut things down so that kids could go to school?

They cannot be shutting things down again in September when most people will be vaccinated.

Looks like there's no other option except for going online and I know the difficulties that can bring as well. Children might not have access to internet, putting parents out of work to look after kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

revelman wrote: »
    The largest study that has been done on the Delta Variant (by Public Health England) shows that two doses of AZ is 92% effective at preventing hospitalisation while Pfizer is 96%.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

Are people really obsessing about this 4%? Or do people just assume that AZ protection is much lower?

Not sure what if anything this shows, but a relative of mine, 30s, with full AZ double dose has Covid now in the UK. Seem fine, just a bad head cold, but it is certainly symptomatic. I suppose they are just one of the 5% or 6% we see in efficacy rates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes, that’s with the benefit of hindsight but it should have been foreseeable.
    Not sure if you realise the contradiction in this one line. Sure, be annoyed with the current situation, but I fully remember the day by day developments and there was a lot of difficult decisions that had to be made.

As a follow-up, look at the infection rate in the older age groups who have only had 1 dose, do you think that that is a coincidence or that it's because so many got jabbed with 1 dose early on. It's as if people have forgotten about old school covid like it's a minor irritation.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I think there is still some leeway on the confidence intervals, but that 4% means the AZ vaccine is actually half as effective as the Pfizer one. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s still very effective, but just saying it’s only 4% doesn’t tell the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Probes wrote: »
    I think there is still some leeway on the confidence intervals, but that 4% means the AZ vaccine is actually half as effective as the Pfizer one. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s still very effective, but just saying it’s only 4% doesn’t tell the whole story.

If it was half as effective as Pfizer it would be 48%.

VG31 wrote: »
    If it was half as effective as Pfizer it would be 48%.

In terms of people being hospitalised it’s not, you’d have 10x the amount of people hospitalised at 48% compared with the Pfizer. It’s possible I’m miscalculating but that’s how I’m reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The best thing to do is always to put numbers on it. % are very effing tricky and prone to being incredibly misleading.

Let's say a normal completely unvaccinated population of 1000 people ends up getting Covid and all of them end up in hospital.

The equivalent 1000 Pfizer vaxxed population would have 40 people in hospital.

The equivalent 1000 AZ vaxxed population would have 80 people in hospital.

It's technically correct in a very slanted and carefully worded view of things to say AZ results in twice as many people hospitalised as Pfizer

But

It's very misleading to say so as twice a small number is still a small number.

The best thing to do is always to put numbers on it. % are very effing tricky and prone to being incredibly misleading.

Let's say a normal completely unvaccinated population of 1000 people ends up getting Covid and all of them end up in hospital.

The equivalent 1000 Pfizer vaxxed population would have 40 people in hospital.

The equivalent 1000 AZ vaxxed population would have 80 people in hospital.

It's technically correct in a very slanted and carefully worded view of things to say AZ results in twice as many people hospitalised as Pfizer

But

It's very misleading to say so as twice a small number is still a small number.

It's not misleading, it's true!! It's misleading to say that it's misleading! I said I think the AZ vaccine is showing to still be very effective (which I said in the original post), but it's still half as efffective when comparing it to the Pfizer one. Nothing misleading about that.

Probes wrote: »

Yes but there is a lot we don’t know. Isn’t it the case that in the U.K. most AZ went to older people whereas Pfizer went to younger people? Older people would more likely be hospitalised in any case. I can’t find anything in the original study using this as a control factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Update from PHE on the Delta variant and vaccines. 40% more transmissible than Alpha (down from >60% previously). 35% effective against symptomatic disease after one dose and 79% after two doses. 80% protection against hospitalisation after one dose and 96% after two doses, higher than previously estimated.

556892.png

556893.png

556894.png

• Advertisement

Not sure what if anything this shows, but a relative of mine, 30s, with full AZ double dose has Covid now in the UK. Seem fine, just a bad head cold, but it is certainly symptomatic. I suppose they are just one of the 5% or 6% we see in efficacy rates.

The figures are about preventing hospitalisation not symptomatic disease that falls short of hospitalisation. So that may explain it.

Just to add to the above, based on PHE figures the vaccines actually appear to be more effective against hospitalisation from the Delta variant than they are against the B1.1.7 Alpha variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Update from PHE on the Delta variant and vaccines. 40% more transmissible than Alpha (down from >60% previously). 35% effective against symptomatic disease after one dose and 79% after two doses. 80% protection against hospitalisation after one dose and 96% after two doses, higher than previously estimated.

556892.png

556893.png

556894.png

So the current vaccines are more effective against hospitalisation (with both single and double doses) with Delta compared to Alpha?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So the current vaccines are more effective against hospitalisation (with both single and double doses) with Delta compared to Alpha?

Or the Delta variant causes less morbidity and mortality than the Alpha variant. I remember reading somewhere before that often, when viruses mutate, they can become more transmissible but less deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Or the Delta variant causes less morbidity and mortality than the Alpha variant. I remember reading somewhere before that often, when viruses mutate, they can become more transmissible but less deadly.

Yes this is what pertinent scientists were telling us 6 months ago and it has come to pass
    But everyone’s panicking !
    I thought we were following the science ......

That is indeed what Public Health England are saying yes. Suggests that the Delta variant is less deadly, to me anyway.

You need to look at the overlapping confidence intervals. Also the CI for Alpha is twice as wide as Delta so there's a bit more uncertainty there. 96% is probably closest to the true figure for both variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Coronavirus doesn't necessarily need to become less deadly. It may become less deadly. It may not. It has a huge advantage with pre-symptomatic infection. Many viruses are only infectious when the individual is visibly symptomatic and mobility is impaired. By becoming less deadly the other viruses can spread easier as the infectious individual with less symptoms severity have a better chance of infecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

News in Germany this morning that Moderna is going to deliver twice as many vaccines in the third quarter than was initially expected. Does this also bode well for us I wonder?

It is appearing in a lot of the German media but I cannot see it elsewhere.
    They seem to be increasing the amount that is going to be delivered and also are moving some of it to July and August.
    We were expecting 170k in July, 250k in August and 1m in September.
    If the reports are correct we can expect 320k in July, 650k in August and 880k in September.
    The July and August figures are the important ones as that alone would give us more than enough to vaccinate all adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I see pharmacies can soon offer the 1 dose Janssen vaccine to people. Do they verify if you've already had another vaccine, or can you 'double up' ?

Edit: I see on one site that they are "asking" people not to register if they have already had any previous dose of another vaccine, as stocks are limited. But not sure if there is verification here.

Advertisement