Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

In Germany, one of of the most safety-conscious and rule-bound places in the world, everyone over 18 has had the opportunity to get any EMA-approved vaccine as long as they have given informed consent I know of people in their 20s and 30s who took AZ because they didn’t want to be waiting for the MRNA ones.

Why has the notion of individual consent just gone completely out the window here? All medicines have potential side effects, even serious ones. Just open a packet of painkillers and take a look. It is my choice to take a painkiller. It should also have been my choice to have taken AZ or a one shot J&J but that choice was taken from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    The thing is how many younger people are going to want AstraZeneca now when you have to wait 8 weeks for the second dose. If it got going in July they'd be waiting until September for their second dose. That's just reality whether you'd personally take it yourself or not.

The next cohort is 30-34 how many of them want to wait double time now they're so close. Not many. Lots of younger people want to go on foreign holidays restriction free asap. Az kills that chance for the rest of the summer.

Bizzare how this is being used to manufacture a fake row with NPFET. I suspect to deflect criticism with govt are finally forced to release figures and the constrained by supply narrative is debunked. Young people won't want AZ. Not with the 8 week wait and perception that it is not as good as MRNA. Finish second doses for over 8 week cohort as soon as practical and give away the 400,000 plus leftovers.

If we keep up 350,000 a week no reason Pfizer/Moderna can't be offered to anyone that wants it by end of July. They should be able to finish most first doses for 35 plus by end of this week. Significant numbers of 18 -. 34 year olds already vaccinated through GPs. In addition to vaccine hesitancy by those in 20s.
    Maybe 200,000 30-34 years olds will register
    Mid July when AZ second doses and 30-34 first doses are finished open portal to everyone left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

robinbird wrote: »
    Significant numbers of 18 -. 34 year olds already vaccinated through GPs.

Have you a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Wolf359f wrote: »
    But those not at risk of Covid will not (for the most part) take AZ knowing they have hate to wait 8 weeks for their travel passport.
    They most likely will accept the small risk AZ has, but wont accept having to wait an additional 4 weeks to travel abroad. J&J would probably be snapped up in that cohort, well before Pfizer/Moderna and certainly well before AZ

Well give them the choice - not everyone is going to travel - we are told Delta variant is much more dangerous for everyone - and AZ offers protection , if we have an extra stockpile give people a choice at the very least. Can we be so selective, when we are told we are still in a dangerous pandemic that is closing of much of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

thebaz wrote: »
    Well give them the choice - not everyone is going to travel - we are told Delta variant is much more dangerous for everyone - and AZ offers protection , if we have an extra stockpile give people a choice at the very least. Can we be so selective, when we are told we are still in a dangerous pandemic that is closing of much of the country.

Point is we already have enough Pfizer/Moderna in stock for everyone left.
    We are constrained by capacity to deliver it.
    The AZ story is an attempt to deflect attention from this. Hopefully with 300 pharmacies now administering Pfizer in addition to GPs and MVCs we can reduce the stockpiles within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

robinbird wrote: »
    Point is we already have enough Pfizer/Moderna in stock for everyone left.
    We are constrained by capacity to deliver it.

Where are you getting capacity constraints from?

Where are you getting your stock figures for Pfizer/Moderna?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Graham wrote: »
    Where are you getting capacity constraints from?

Where are you getting your stock figures for Pfizer/Moderna?

Ah don't waste your time, comes on once a week, throws out the same argument, the same stats, gets challenged on them and goes away for another week, rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately the ignore facility doesn't filter out when someone is quoted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Has anyone else got this message on the vaccine portal? I got my first jab two weeks ago and last time I logged in it said "waiting for second appointment" or something like that.

I logged in today just out of curiosity and it says

You cannot request another appointment using the online system.
    Please call the COVID-19 helpline on 1850 24 1850 if you want to continue your vaccination process.

I'll ring the helpline later but feeling a bit anxious now that something happened my record on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

revelman wrote: »
    In Germany, one of of the most safety-conscious and rule-bound places in the world, everyone over 18 has had the opportunity to get any EMA-approved vaccine as long as they have given informed consent I know of people in their 20s and 30s who took AZ because they didn’t want to be waiting for the MRNA

I 100% agree re the vaccines. As for a Germany being safety-conscious and rule-bound, I actually find it less so than places like Ireland and the U.K.

There is great emphasis that what you are doing does not disturb others (wrong parking, noisy parties, etc.) but there is also a big importance placed on respecting individual freedom, which is why no large scale domestic travel restrictions were really introduced during COVID (and those that were were heavily challenged in the courts).

There’s definitely less paranoia about safety too, with less of court compensation culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Happy (maybe) 4 millionth dose day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Has anyone being able to ring and get a 2nd dose a day ahead of schedule? I have to travel within Ireland for work for the following 5 days so was hoping to get in a day earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone being able to ring and get a 2nd dose a day ahead of schedule? I have to travel within Ireland for work for the following 5 days so was hoping to get in a day earlier.

You're probably better off getting it after the 5 days and not before.

You'll get a stronger immune response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I was talking to someone I know working in pharmacy who has J&J. Said they have no one to vaccinate as most of the 50+ have been done, can’t open the vials until there 5/6 people booked in as they can’t waste it, people have booked and not come, and lots of young people keep asking for it but they’re not allowed give it to them. They’ve administered it to only 5 people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I heard last weekend that the HSE would be able to resume giving vaccination statistics by the end of this week. So where are the statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

josip wrote: »
    You're probably better off getting it after the 5 days and not before.

You'll get a stronger immune response.

Ok. my understanding was the recommended 2nd dose should be between day 21 and day 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I wonder will the portal be opened soon for the next age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was talking to someone I know working in pharmacy who has J&J. Said they have no one to vaccinate as most of the 50+ have been done, can’t open the vials until there 5/6 people booked in as they can’t waste it, people have booked and not come, and lots of young people keep asking for it but they’re not allowed give it to them. They’ve administered it to only 5 people

It's a bit of a disaster but a circular went around to say that there is expected to be wastage given the logistical difficulties of getting 5 of this cohort signed up in one go. Basically use it, and it won't be given to other cohorts. It's frustrating for all involved. One pharmacy I know put in a huge effort and used all 50 doses in a week. Told no more available and they won't be getting Pfizer despite having capacity to do 250 a week so they are effectively finished after a week of chasing patients

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Got my date for the jab. Tuesday. Age 39 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Any idea whether those people vaccinated directly by the company Pfizer are included in our vaccination stats?

What about those who got vaccinated in Northern Ireland?

baldbear wrote: »
    Got my date for the jab. Tuesday. Age 39 in Dublin.

Which centre?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Skygord wrote: »
    Any idea whether those people vaccinated directly by the company Pfizer are included in our vaccination stats?

What about those who got vaccinated in Northern Ireland?

I cant seeing the Pfizer staff and family group being a massive number.
    10,000 maybe? (I’m assuming They have about 3000 staff)

As for those vaccinated in the North, they will be recorded in the figures from N.I.

Similarly I know of 3 people who live here but are US citizens or green card holders. They flew to the USA to get their vaccine and returned home a month later. They won’t be counted in Irish figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Tenger wrote: »

As for those vaccinated in the North, they will be recorded in the figures from N.I.

Similarly I know of 3 people who live here but are US citizens or green card holders. They flew to the USA to get their vaccine and returned home a month later. They won’t be counted in Irish figures.

Well, shame we don't have the data, but nice to know the reality of ROI vaccination numbers is at least a 'bit' higher than the published HSE records.

Perhaps when the Digital Covid Cert is introduced, we'll see the true number of vaccinations in ROI - as these folks would presumably enter their vaccination data then, or it may be pulled in from other jurisdictions' systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Which centre?

Helix

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Ok. my understanding was the recommended 2nd dose should be between day 21 and day 28.

Where did you see that? I thought manufacturer guidance was 4-6 weeks with several European extending that to 8 weeks and some even up to 12. Immune response at 12 weeks seems to be good.

But I’m far from an expert so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenger wrote: »

There are also some workers (low hundreds probably) for US firms who went on assignment to the US and got vaccinated while there - all adds up with those groups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Probes wrote: »
    It's not misleading, it's true!! It's misleading to say that it's misleading! I said I think the AZ vaccine is showing to still be very effective (which I said in the original post), but it's still half as efffective when comparing it to the Pfizer one. Nothing misleading about that.

As mentioned before, all the vaccines are doing what they were designed to do - significantly reduce and stop serious Covid effects/symptoms and stop hospital admissions overloading the systems. There are always going to be cases where people who are are fully vaccinated still get Covid. Transmission from fully and partly vaccinated individuals can still happen to those unvaccinated - but given the choice we had and continue to have.....

To people questioning one vaccine over another, 'this one is better' etc etc - I say take a look at Israel - solely used Pfizer, a MRNA vaccine - and yet Delta has them re-imposing Covid rules and regulation - this with just shy of 64% of their total population with at least one vaccination and c55% fully vaccinated total population. Delta is way different, sooo much easier transmissible. From what has been published in science papers so far, the viral load needed is less and exposure time less too. If offered a vaccine and you are able to take it, take it, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

On the Pfizer staff numbers I know a few people working in the newbridge plant and they did a lot of people , anyone related to the worker could get it done if they wanted it’s wasn’t just immediate family.
    The stock was Pfizer’s own so I don’t think the numbers are included in the data base between the 3 facilities you are probably looking at big enough numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Strazdas wrote: »
    What if no other vaccine is available? You'd be effectively saying that it is far preferable that they be be unvaccinated (in the middle of a global pandemic) than receive AZ or J & J.

For women under 40 at least, the benefit of the AZ/J&J does not outweigh the risk. It is preferable to remain unvaccinated in a pandemic if you're at less risk from the virus than the vaccine. There are other vaccines available so it's a moot point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

VG31 wrote: »
    For women under 40 at least, the benefit of the AZ/J&J does not outweigh the risk. It is preferable to remain unvaccinated in a pandemic if you're at less risk from the virus than the vaccine. There are other vaccines available so it's a moot point really.

There was never much details released for AZ with age and sex breakdown, but for J&J the most at risk group was women aged 35-40, above and below that age the risk halved. But overall AZ the incidence rate is much higher than J&J and even more so with it being 2 jabs. Then again, AZ has proven itself vs Delta, for J&J we have no data. Certainly not a simple decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

very much of the opinion just take the vaccine you are given, they all do the same job and we all need to vaccinated as soon as possible to reopen society however if AZ and JJ is approved for all ages to be distrubuted via pharmacies and I have a choice then things get a bit more interesting.

Would like to see some chart produced showing the total remaining adults to be vaccinated versus the delivery schedule

Advertisement