Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

As mentioned before, all the vaccines are doing what they were designed to do - significantly reduce and stop serious Covid effects/symptoms and stop hospital admissions overloading the systems. There are always going to be cases where people who are are fully vaccinated still get Covid. Transmission from fully and partly vaccinated individuals can still happen to those unvaccinated - but given the choice we had and continue to have.....

To people questioning one vaccine over another, 'this one is better' etc etc - I say take a look at Israel - solely used Pfizer, a MRNA vaccine - and yet Delta has them re-imposing Covid rules and regulation - this with just shy of 64% of their total population with at least one vaccination and c55% fully vaccinated total population. Delta is way different, sooo much easier transmissible. From what has been published in science papers so far, the viral load needed is less and exposure time less too. If offered a vaccine and you are able to take it, take it, then why not?

I saw information yesterday saying all the cases of Delta in fully vaccinated Israelis are asymptomatic? Should these people be counted as cases? It’s also being used by people here to suggest the vaccines are vulnerable to Delta which is not true at all.
    Israel has a bigger anti vaccine cohort than Ireland. Their vaccination numbers have stalled & thats where Delta is spreading & could cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I saw information yesterday saying all the cases of Delta in fully vaccinated Israelis are asymptomatic? Should these people be counted as cases? It’s also being used by people here to suggest the vaccines are vulnerable to Delta which is not true at all.
    Israel has a bigger anti vaccine cohort than Ireland. Their vaccination numbers have stalled & thats where Delta is spreading & could cause issues.

I read an article about Israel but they couldn't give definitive numbers.
    It was like:
    90% of cases are Delta.
    50% are in kids who are mostly unvaccinated
    Half of the adult's who got infected were fully vaccinated.
    Just give the absolute % ffs

US case numbers have dropped and they have roughly the same vaccinated as Israel (Delta aside) the CDC says anyone being a close contact of a confirmed case, if they are fully vaccinated and have no symptoms do not need to be tested. This could explain their low numbers.

The key goal to vaccines was to reduce deaths and serious illness, prevent disease with vanilla Covid was a bonus. Delta has changed that, and no more than ever positive cases need to be broken down between cases in unvaccinated and cases in vaccinated people. I'm wondering in Ireland, anyone being tested, do they ask if you've been vaccinated or is it cross referenced with the vaccine database?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

VG31 wrote: »
    For women under 40 at least, the benefit of the AZ/J&J does not outweigh the risk. It is preferable to remain unvaccinated in a pandemic if you're at less risk from the virus than the vaccine. There are other vaccines available so it's a moot point really.

I totally get that, but that doesn't factor in the risk of contracting Covid or being hospitalised with it. It's purely based on whether they are at risk of dying from the vaccine versus dying from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-is-the-delta-variant-and-how-much-does-vaccination-protect-against-it-1.4600573

"The analysis suggests the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is 94 per cent effective against hospital admission after just one dose, rising to 96 per cent after two doses"

Reading this recent article ,I wonder if there is a case for lengthening the gap between the first and second Pfizer jabs.

Now,I concede that there is (with Pfizer) a very big jump in protection rates for symptomatic disease(from 33% to 88%) but only a really quite small jump of 2% for protection against hospitalisation(from 94% to 96%)

Might it be better to give more first (Pfizer) doses quickly and get the younger cohorts in the game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm sure most of you will have heard of the Covid outbreak here in Sydney and that we're currently in a two week lockdown. A very telling and interesting statistic that has come from one of the outbreak clusters which was announced in the daily press update today - a party attended by 31 people in the suburb of West Hoxton last weekend. 24 (unvaccinated) of that 31 have so far tested positive for Covid. Of the 7 that haven't tested positive, 6 had been fully vaccinated and one received their first dose.
    Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

When do we think itll open to 30-34yr olds?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really depends on where you are based and demographics around you. Some of the centers outside Dublin will hit that age group sooner than Dublin say.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

About another week I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm sure most of you will have heard of the Covid outbreak here in Sydney and that we're currently in a two week lockdown. A very telling and interesting statistic that has come from one of the outbreak clusters which was announced in the daily press update today - a party attended by 31 people in the suburb of West Hoxton last weekend. 24 (unvaccinated) of that 31 have so far tested positive for Covid. Of the 7 that haven't tested positive, 6 had been fully vaccinated and one received their first dose.
    Make of that what you will.

Vaccinated people don't get a snog at parties? :)

Wolf359f wrote: »
    There was never much details released for AZ with age and sex breakdown, but for J&J the most at risk group was women aged 35-40, above and below that age the risk halved. But overall AZ the incidence rate is much higher than J&J and even more so with it being 2 jabs. Then again, AZ has proven itself vs Delta, for J&J we have no data. Certainly not a simple decision.

Would you have a link to that J&J data with the age breakdown please? Not doubting you, I'm interested to see it as I'm a woman in the 35-40 age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Would you have a link to that J&J data with the age breakdown please? Not doubting you, I'm interested to see it as I'm a woman in the 35-40 age group.

6082f1d51041d50019f2def1?width=800

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-johnson-johnson-blood-clot-case-count-rises-to-15-2021-4?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there a thread on the vaccine side effects? Almost a week since my second dose of Pfizer and still getting headaches. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

What's going on with the reduction of the interval between first and second AZ vaccines? I had my first dose 8 weeks ago today, and had hoped that the reduction from 12 to 8 weeks would mean I'd be done now, but apparently not. Apologies for not having read the whole thread - a link to earlier discussion would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

tromtipp wrote: »
    What's going on with the reduction of the interval between first and second AZ vaccines? I had my first dose 8 weeks ago today, and had hoped that the reduction from 12 to 8 weeks would mean I'd be done now, but apparently not. Apologies for not having read the whole thread - a link to earlier discussion would be fine.

It’s being done gradually. I was the full 12 weeks (VHR and second jab last week). My father in law was reduced to 9.5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Raoul wrote: »
    Is there a thread on the vaccine side effects? Almost a week since my second dose of Pfizer and still getting headaches. Anyone else?

My aunt was sick for a week after the second dose, symptoms went after the 7 days though. She had covid very recently before the second dose possibly about 3 months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

mightyreds wrote: »
    My aunt was sick for a week after the second dose, symptoms went after the 7 days though. She had covid very recently before the second dose possibly about 3 months before.

How is she now?

I was fairly sick D1 after the vaccine, ok D2 and D3, then headaches after that and really tired.

Edit - sorry, misread it. Good to see she is ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Has anybody else had any issues resetting their password in the HSE vaccine site? Sends an email which takes you back to 'forgot password' screen, so an endless loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

degsie wrote: »
    Has anybody else had any issues resetting their password in the HSE vaccine site? Sends an email which takes you back to 'forgot password' screen, so an endless loop!

had to reset the password a few time even though I was using the correct password , last time I checked the wifes one it worked first time , just had to get a confirmation pin ,
    she's still waiting for her appointment for her second dose , and her 8 weeks will be up on next saturday , i got an appointment for next friday , exactly 8 weeks since the first .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MyUnicornWorld

So many people on here are waiting patiently for their turn to be called for vaccination and personally I feel it's so upsetting to see others skipping the queue.

I was talking to some friends at the weekend. They are early thirties and live in an area of the country where the covid levels are extremely low. They have a friend who works on the local hospital and told them to come in for their vaccine and got it a few weeks ago. They have no underlying conditions. Just a friend who works on the local hospital...

Yet in areas of the country where covid levels are much higher people of the same age are not even able to register yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So many people on here are waiting patiently for their turn to be called for vaccination and personally I feel it's so upsetting to see others skipping the queue.

I was talking to some friends at the weekend. They are early thirties and live in an area of the country where the covid levels are extremely low. They have a friend who works on the local hospital and told them to come in for their vaccine and got it a few weeks ago. They have no underlying conditions. Just a friend who works on the local hospital...

Yet in areas of the country where covid levels are much higher people of the same age are not even able to register yet.

Who is skipping the queue?
    The only people getting ahead are those getting a spare dose from a GP. Everyone else is waiting their turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What is the risk 30 to 35s get given AZ?

First off, UK here, waiting on second jab, in an age range which Ireland are only taking registrations for now, so it's caused a lot of discussion with friends in Ireland who won't be getting the vaccine because:
    1) they consider themselves not at risk
    2) it buys into big Pharma profit

ignoring point 1, as it's been discussed to death, what do people think of point 2?

I've been bombarded with Bitchute videos and other garbage, but one that stood out was (in their words) "one of the few truth videos left on Youtube".... brought to you, by no other than....Russel Brand

I rolled my eyes, but having a few mins to spare, I auto scrolled to it..

(can't link as a noob, but the video title is "Vaccine Gold Rush: Do You Trust Gates?" )

Blurb if you don't want to watch the video
    The pharmaceutical industry has been pouring resources into the growing political fight over generic coronavirus vaccines. They a useful and powerful ally in Bill Gates, so does this undermine his status as a philanthropist and make a mockery of his stated aim of getting the world “back to normal”?
    #BillGates #VaccinePatent #Vaccine #Coronavirus #Covid19

Elites are taking over! Our only hope is to form our own. To learn more join my cartel here xxxx and get weekly bulletins too incendiary for anything but your private inbox.
    *not a euphemism

I'm not his biggest fan, and not naïve to big Pharma making huge money off COVID, but he made some very valid points IMO...

But being Russel Brand, he is articulate, gregarious, and could probably sell sand to the Arabs... I know these are snippets which are patched together to create a story...

But what does everyone think? How do you respond to someone who refuses the vaccine because of this?

I know there'll be "why do you care" responses, the reason is, the psychology behind it interests me, how a lot of people I know are bandwagoning on what is being circulated on social media, without any checking themselves or filtering... Hypocrisy by numerous people who I know who use the Big Pharma argument, but will happily have had a few bags in the pub over the weekend, and were probably looking to get a few D10's off someone last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The only people getting ahead are those getting a spare dose from a GP. Everyone else is waiting their turn.

They are not "spare" doses. GPs are being given Pfizer and advice from HSE is to give it to whoever they want. However I would not characterise this as queue jumping. The MVCs is an age based rollout that has reached over 35s. Anyone younger than this who doesn't want to wait has the option of registering with a participating GP and getting it that way.
    No real evidence that a healthy 33 year old is any more at risk than a healthy 23 year old.
    The 300 pharmacies on board from today should be administering based on age similar to the MVCs but I'm sure they will have some "discretion" to vaccinate younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

I leave the conspiracy bullsh*t to others but as as to point 2
    it buys into big Pharma profit
    I wonder will these idiots be consistent and refuse drug treatment for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and many other horrible diseases too numerous to mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

robinbird wrote: »
    They are not "spare" doses. GPs are being given Pfizer and advice from HSE is to give it to whoever they want. However I would not characterise this as queue jumping. The MVCs is an age based rollout that has reached over 35s. Anyone younger than this who doesn't want to wait has the option of registering with a participating GP and getting it that way.
    No real evidence that a healthy 33 year old is any more at risk than a healthy 23 year old.
    The 300 pharmacies on board from today should be administering based on age similar to the MVCs but I'm sure they will have some "discretion" to vaccinate younger.

Well my local GP's practice spent all Saturday vaccinating Category 7 people.

tromtipp wrote: »

Second AZ is being prioritised but they are doing it gradually to allow space for other vaccinations. 100,000 a week. interval should be down to 10 weeks or less by now and second AZ program should be complete by mid July..

crossman47 wrote: »
    Well my local GP's practice spent all Saturday vaccinating Category 7 people.

Category 7 people is a redundant concept now. GPs are being told to give it to whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MyUnicornWorld

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The case I mentioned was not a GP. It was a vaccination in a clinic in their local hospital because they have a friend who works there.
    And yes of course it is skipping the queue. They were vaccinated weeks, even months ahead of most people in their age cohort, not because they are vulnerable but because they have a friend who works in a vaccination clinic.
    Personally I do not think this is fair but it is quite typical of how things are done in Ireland. And people are willing to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

EU updated numbers including the numbers from yesterday for Ireland:

Malta have 15% of their population under 18 so are nearly fully vaccinated.

Country per capita
    Malta 148
    Belgium 90.5
    Cyprus 89
    Germany 86
    Netherlands 83.5
    Spain 83
    Austria 82.5
    Italy 82.5
    Luxembourg 82
    Lithuania 81.5
    Portugal 80.5