Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The case I mentioned was not a GP. It was a vaccination in a clinic in their local hospital because they have a friend who works there.
    And yes of course it is skipping the queue. They were vaccinated weeks, even months ahead of most people in their age cohort, not because they are vulnerable but because they have a friend who works in a vaccination clinic.
    Personally I do not think this is fair but it is quite typical of how things are done in Ireland. And people are willing to accept it.

By a GP or HCP in a hospital.

Who's vulnerable that still needs to get vaccinated? Anone who is vunerable should be long vaccinated by now.
    There's little difference between a healthy 38 year old and a healthy 30 year old in terms of COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    By a GP or HCP in a hospital.

Who's vulnerable that still needs to get vaccinated? Anone who is vunerable should be long vaccinated by now.
    There's little difference between a healthy 38 year old and a healthy 30 year old in terms of COVID.

Exactly. Skipping the queue was a valid concern when there were still over 60s to be done. But all the high risk are long done now so now sure anyone should be entitled to it more than anyone else
    MCVs are an aged based rollout and fair enough but no real reason for GPs or pharmacies to use same criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I think there are loads of us over 60s who have no idea when we're going to get our second jab, and it feels pretty vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's the gap between the Pfizer doses now? Still 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yep. PUC in cork is about 4-6 weeks I believe

Got it through my GP today! 3 weeks until second dose which I found interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

28 days seems to be used for both mRNA vaccines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Was about to ask the same. When I got my 1st dose of Pfizer the Nurse said 3-4 weeks for 2nd dose. It will be 3 weeks this week but nothing on portal.

And still over* 8 weeks for the over 60s. Who are allegedly at higher risk if we get infected.

*Today I'm 8 weeks from my first jab. There is no indication when the second will be. As Fintan O'Toole pointed out at the weekend, if we'd ignored government instructions, and waited until we could got to pharmacists, we'd be fully vaxxed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

tromtipp wrote: »
    And still over* 8 weeks for the over 60s. Who are allegedly at higher risk if we get infected.

*Today I'm 8 weeks from my first jab. There is no indication when the second will be. As Fintan O'Toole pointed out at the weekend, if we'd ignored government instructions, and waited until we could got to pharmacists, we'd be fully vaxxed by now.

If everyone did that, that wouldn't be possible. And would you have stayed quiet while you waited for 6 weeks or so with no protection? This was always about supply and demand and that's the way the supply fell.

Or that over 60s are seen as expendable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

30 days for me, getting 2nd dose Pfizer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

robinbird wrote: »
    Exactly. Skipping the queue was a valid concern when there were still over 60s to be done. But all the high risk are long done now so now sure anyone should be entitled to it more than anyone else
    MCVs are an aged based rollout and fair enough but no real reason for GPs or pharmacies to use same criteria.

I'm honestly not against moving to a "first-come first-serve" method now that we have vaccinated pretty much all the people that are at risk. But to me it doesn't seem so fair that you get one if you're in luck that your GP does it (or have a GP at all, I'm sure many young people never even seen one). I would prefer for the MCV to also just open to everyone.
    I have a colleague who is (according to him, I don't know the details) cohort 7 but still waiting for example. He called 3-4 GPs but didn't find any that would vaccinate him, and now he's waiting for the MCVs. Reading here it got a lot better in the past weeks, but there are still many GPs not doing anything for them or that have just started that cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There is an indication. They want the AZ second doses done before July 19th. It appears most will get it by then and even last week they did 100k of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think there are loads of us over 60s who have no idea when we're going to get our second jab, and it feels pretty vulnerable.

The people in their 60s should get their 2nd doses in the next 3 to 4 weeks. They've given themselves a deadline of 4 weeks but I think they've given themselves a little bit of wiggle room and should get them done in 3.

I wouldn't be feeling too vulnerable. People in their 60s were unlikely too need hospitalisation in the first place and on top on that you have good protection from severe disease from your first dose. Just be a little cautious nakther few weeks and you'll be fine. You've gone 15 months without getting covid (I'm guessing), you'll be very unlucky to catch it in the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

If it makes you feel any better, I’m at 14 weeks today. Still no second appointment. I should be classed in group 7…

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Maybe you're thinking of the "very high risk" Group 4 (ie on chemotherapy, other severe illnesss requiring current hospital treatment). Unfortunately the high risk (chronic heart, lung disease etc) in their 60s are far from 'long done'. They were category 5/6 and almost all received AZ with the 60 to 69 age group. I know of two 69 year olds with chronic heart disease who have no 2nd jab appointment yet, and apparently only 30% protection from the Delta variant. Just saying...

15 months isolation is fraying my nerves, and the reports of the extremely infectious nature of the delta variant are not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Confirmation of reaching the 4 million mark
    RTE News wrote:
    More than four million doses of Covid-19 vaccines have now been administered, the chairperson of the High Level Task Force on Covid-19 Vaccination has said. Professor Brian MacCraith also said 350,000 vaccine doses were administered last week, saying this is the highest weekly total to date.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0628/1231774-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

That was a shockingly bad piece by Fintan, I think you're better off ignoring it.

The people who go to the pharmacy are getting J&J one dose vaccine for which we don't have data on in terms on protection from the Delta variant. That is a very similar vaccine to the AZ vaccine so if you'd gotten that one dose vaccine you'd probably have very similar protection as you currently have with your one dose of AZ. At least with AZ you're going to top that protection up further when you get your 2nd dose. So will be soon be in a more protected position than if you'd gotten J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Plenty of us on here said this would happen and were shouted down. We should never have stopped using AZ/J&J for younger groups.

I remember that too, indeed we were. One person likened my idea of opening up AZ and Janssen to all of the adult population in a demand-led rollout, to denying grannies and nurses a vaccine in favour of young people.

The real travesty here is stockpiling approved vaccines while hundreds of thousands of people await a vaccine in this country.

• Advertisement

ddarcy, that's grim, I'm sorry you're being messed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Does anyone have a figure for how many are eligible for vaccination? As in 18+ or 16+. 4 million vaccinations given out and I'm none the wiser of how many we have to administer in total. (I know only one dose needed with J&J changes the figure some bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a figure for how many are eligible for vaccination? As in 18+ or 16+. 4 million vaccinations given out and I'm none the wiser of how many we have to administer in total. (I know only one dose needed with J&J changes the figure some bit)

Well the total population 15+ is estimated at just about 4 million. If you go to 18+ that should be reduced by about 200,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are about 3.9m eligible out of a population of 4.9m. That's all 16+.

That's 7.8m doses, minus the number of J&J vaccines we've received (about 0.5m?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2020/

Estimated Total Population last April - 4,977,400

Total 14 & under - 309.5+344.1+350.0 = 1,003,600

Approx total per year for 15-19 year olds - 323.9/5 = 64,780

3,909,020 aged 16 and older

3,779,460 aged 18 and older

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    There are about 3.9m eligible out of a population of 4.9m. That's all 16+.

That's 7.8m doses, minus the number of J&J vaccines we've received (about 0.5m?).

We've recieved 140k doses of J an J but only administered 72k according to

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1409137825036095498?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Was about to ask the same. When I got my 1st dose of Pfizer the Nurse said 3-4 weeks for 2nd dose. It will be 3 weeks this week but nothing on portal.

Yeah my Mrs got hers on the 5th June so would be due 2nd one this Saturday but heard nothing yet (still early enough I guess). However one of her work colleagues got 1st dose the week before her and hasn't heard anything about 2nd dose which was due last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

They are not "spare" doses. GPs are being given Pfizer and advice from HSE is to give it to whoever they want. However I would not characterise this as queue jumping. The MVCs is an age based rollout that has reached over 35s. Anyone younger than this who doesn't want to wait has the option of registering with a participating GP and getting it that way.
    No real evidence that a healthy 33 year old is any more at risk than a healthy 23 year old.
    The 300 pharmacies on board from today should be administering based on age similar to the MVCs but I'm sure they will have some "discretion" to vaccinate younger.

Pharmacies can only vaccinate within the current cohorts (35+) the software only allows it in that cohort. They don't have the same discretion as GPs in classing someone as high risk.

Pharmacy quantities are low, generally 36-72 doses for a two week period which is awfully low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Who's vulnerable that still needs to get vaccinated?

A lot of people still awaiting their 2nd dose in age group 60-69, and cohort 7 (not sure if cohort 4 is completed as we don't have the data). By definition, these are our most vulnerable, and we won't have completed their 2nd doses for about 3 more weeks.

Advertisement