Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Another journalist saying they've given the green light regarding age restrictions

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1409586228337385489?s=19

Great news if true. We may see the vaccine programme rapidly accelerate. Also, the portal for over 20s could open up relatively quickly, there would be no need to wait for all other AZ recipients to receive their second dose first. Another plus is that a four week gap would encourage high take up from the over 20s.

RTE themselves reporting the story now, so it looks solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That would be a supply call really. We've enough dose 2 of mRNA to do as it is given the supply reduction through July.

It'll speed up the younger ages now

Looking forward to registering :)

This whole thing has been a bloody giant rollercoaster of emotions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

That would all be good news - we need some of that

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

The last Cohort 4s got first AZ 12 weeks ago and are now completed
    HCW at least the same and now done.
    Last of 60s got it five weeks ago. We are now down to 9-10 weeks out according to reported appointments. If they do 100k a week and bring it down to 8 weeks last of 60s should be done in three weeks.
    This makes no sense.
    And neither does giving it as first dose to younger cohorts to reduce the 400,000 AZ we will have left over when finished as we have more than enough Pfizer in storage to do everyone..

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Great news if true. We may see the vaccine programme rapidly accelerate. Also, the portal for over 20s could open up relatively quickly, there would be no need to wait for all other AZ recipients to receive their second dose first. Another plus is that a four week gap would encourage high take up from the over 20s.

Its a good call by NIAC.

How many people have died of blood clots in ireland with AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Be delighted if they give the 30 to 34s Jansen next week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Strazdas wrote: »

I wonder will this be an opt in thing or will it be a take what you're given kind of thing.

robinbird wrote: »
    Last of 60s got it five weeks ago. We are now down to 9-10 weeks out according to reported appointments. If they do 100k a week and bring it down to 8 weeks last of 60s should be done in three weeks.
    This makes no sense.
    And neither does giving it as first dose to younger cohorts to reduce the 400,000 AZ we will have left over when finished as we have more than enough Pfizer in storage to do everyone..

It does, it means everyone will probably get a first dose of a vaccine within the next month.

Your alternative scenario means people will only get opportunity of a first dose by end of august.

In NI 18 year olds can walk in without an appointment today.

ROI has to get to the point of offering everyone a first dose as quickly as humanly possible.

This strategy allows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

This makes no sense.

Yes the over 1 million Pfizer in storage you keep mentioning, but produce zero evidence of.
    At least show your workings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This makes no sense.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Klonker wrote: »
    I wonder will this be an opt in thing or will it be a take what you're given kind of thing.

I'd guess it'll be an opt in through the likes of Pharmacy. Capacity there for over 100k vaccines per week and almost 300k J&J instock and excess AZ in stock or at least due in stock

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder how they will pick who gets what?

But I think we will have very little Jansen stock.

68k doses delivered but not yet administered
    https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1409137825036095498?s=19

Pharmacists concerned about waste

https://twitter.com/LouiseByrneNews/status/1409550504485605385?s=19

NIAC recommending a 4 week gap for AZ now

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1409579406113247235?s=19

"Sources suggested that Ireland may need to invoke an emergency or special exemption mechanism to make this move, because the European Medicines Agency authorisation for the second AstraZeneca jab currently specifies 56 days, or eight weeks."

Not going to make much difference for the 60-69 cohort they'll all get it in the next 3 weeks anyway. Could help if the age limit is dropped back

Kingston Mills will have steam coming out of his ears.

He talks some s*** when it comes to AZ.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah I was asking in my local pharmacy and they said they can't find anyone 50+ to take the spare doses, seems like such a waste.

Well hopefully you'll be heading in to get one if you are happy to do so in a few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a fair bit of it in pharmacies, so they could just open up to the 35-40s.

Stheno wrote: »
    Well hopefully you'll be heading in to get one if you are happy to do so in a few days :)

There'd be queues out the doors! I'll stand happily in line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Would make sense to give both to pharmacies. No special storage requirements and MVC don't seem to have any more capacity. If you want to skip the queue go to your pharmacy. If you want an mRNA register on the portal.
    We might not have much AZ until the middle of the month, due to needing it for second doses but by the end of this week we should have 130k J&J in stock. There is probably tens of thousands of 20 year olds, mainly men, that would be happy to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,813 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Woody79 wrote: »
    Its a good call by NIAC.

How many people have died of blood clots in ireland with AZ?

That's possibly because they mainly avoided giving it to younger people here so far and those who suffered bloodclots in other countries tended to be relatively young

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Really makes you wonder what has changed between now and the last NIAC advice against using J&J/AZ in younger cohorts. Should never have been stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Really makes you wonder what has changed between now and the last NIAC advice against using J&J/AZ in younger cohorts. Should never have been stopped.

Mmmm maybe the Delta variant?
    Risk vs benefit has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Months of additional data i reckon.

Klonker wrote: »

I'd say it will indeed be a case of 'take whatever you are given' : looks like people in their 20s will be offered all four of the vaccines, so it will purely be the luck of the draw when they receive their confirmation text.

But I would expect a very high take up if there is only a four week gap with all the vaccines (and J & J is a single shot).

As has been said throughout this if we'd had AZ only we'd have had no discussion. It's that stellar Pfizer performance that caused them to be shunned. Now AZ and J&J are coming back into the frame with the somewhat alarmist reaction to Delta.

omega man wrote: »
    Months of additional data i reckon.

Nah, needs must and Delta!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I can understand the move to 4 weeks. Younger people are at less risk of COVID -> sacrifice the efficacy of a longer interval for the speediness of getting fully vaxxed with the 4 weeks.

I can understand the move to 4 weeks. Younger people are at less risk of COVID -> sacrifice the efficacy of a longer interval for the speediness of getting fully vaxxed with the 4 weeks.

And potential boosters

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Mmmm maybe the Delta variant?
    Risk vs benefit has changed.

Look at the UK numbers - 23,000 new cases today. That could be us if we're not careful.....that's the main reason AZ and J have suddenly come into contention for all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Delta variant. The vaccine was never a massive danger to the younger and there was no rush back then the Kent variant was getting under contril. The delta variant has hospitalised younger people now in the uk so the need is greater.

• Advertisement

This pandemic is such a fluid situation.

What vaccine you end up with is a bit of a lottery.

I'm glad tbh.

I know AZ is a good vaccine with a poor PR record.

At the end of day this decision is based on getting as many people double dosed as quickly as possible before delta is 100% in ireland.

I dont thing Delta is particulary more deadly (I think its less), but it is more infectious and more easily spread.

We have to get to an Israel situation as quickly as possible and then decide what next after that.

Advertisement