Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Swaine wrote: »
    Maybe stop booking if you're not in the age range yet. I'd say they're busy enough without dealing with chancers all day.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1409627641053859842?s=21

Based on this I’d say plenty of pharmacies will be glad of the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I wonder will it be anyone over 18 or just people who can register ATM (i.e. 35+)? I wouldn't mind getting J&J in a pharmacy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Someone is manually cancelling all them appointments. Pharmacies could deliver 50 in a day but most only got 50. If the go ahead is given bookings will be ready the next day. They just need the formal go ahead

Interest, sure. Email them now or give them a ring in the morning.

Booking invalid appointments, not so much. It's a hassle for them to have to cancel. Bear in mind we're only hearing media reports of the NIAC advice, the change is not official yet and pharmacies can't open up registration to younger age groups until they get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Bit confused but is this correct ? Following this evening's announcement.

Age 70+ Pfizer/Moderna
    Age 60-69 AZ/Pfizer/Moderna
    Age 50-59 J&J/Pfizer/Moderna
    Age 40-49 Pfizer/Moderna
    Age 18-39 AZ/J&J/Pfizer/Moderna
    Age 16-18 Pfizer

And if/when Irish Govt follows EMA authorisation

Age 12-15 Pfizer

I'm actually assuming that any person aged 40+ who has yet to receive a first dose is eligible to get any one of the four vaccines. Are we aware of any vaccine being prohibited to any age cohort at this point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

civdef wrote: »
    Did they not write details of the first dose on the second card?

No. She just filled in the second vaccination date and said staple both together when I find the card for the first vaccination. Card from first vaccination still missing, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

gaiscioch wrote: »
    No. She just filled in the second vaccination date and said staple both together when I find the card for the first vaccination. Card from first vaccination still missing, however.

This in an MVC?

Normal procedure if someone has lost their first card is to do up a duplicate card and write in the details (date and batch #) for the first dose too - details are there on the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Interest, sure. Email them now or give them a ring in the morning.

Booking invalid appointments, not so much. It's a hassle for them to have to cancel. Bear in mind we're only hearing media reports of the NIAC advice, the change is not official yet and pharmacies can't open up registration to younger age groups until they get the go ahead.

You would wonder why the option is there for age bands under 35 then

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I’m in cohort 4 so obviously fully vaccinated with AZ already. My partner is 25 and we’d like to travel in late August if possible, but we are worried given that he isn’t vaccinated yet, both in terms of travel plans and possible extra measures depending on case numbers, and also with the delta variant being a bit more dangerous for him if unvaccinated.

Based on RTÉ saying NIAC will allow under 40s to get JnJ and the following, “ The Irish Pharmacy Union has said pharmacies could begin to administer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to people under 40 "tomorrow".”, should my partner in theory just call the pharmacy in the morning and ask to be placed on a waiting list or something, pending the rule change coming?

rm212 wrote: »
    I’m in cohort 4 so obviously fully vaccinated with AZ already. My partner is 25 and we’d like to travel in late August if possible, but we are worried given that he isn’t vaccinated yet, both in terms of travel plans and possible extra measures depending on case numbers, and also with the delta variant being a bit more dangerous for him if unvaccinated.

Based on RTÉ saying NIAC will allow under 40s to get JnJ and the following, “ The Irish Pharmacy Union has said pharmacies could begin to administer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to people under 40 "tomorrow".”, should my partner in theory just call the pharmacy in the morning and ask to be placed on a waiting list or something, pending the rule change coming?

Absolutely.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

I see Boots have an online portal which says only to register if you’re over 50 otherwise it’ll be cancelled. I wonder if he should just fill that in with the rule change seemingly being imminent and maybe they’ll keep it on the system until it’s approved to give to him?

EDIT: just read and saw other people also booking with them. Just said f-it and booked one for this Friday. I wrote a note in the “extra info for the pharmacist” explaining that we booked it pending a potential change in the rules which RTÉ are reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Some more details from Eamon Ryan on how things are likely to play out now in terms of rollout to younger ages

The opt in method some of us were calling for a long time ago

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409671808710680576?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Some more details from Eamon Ryan on how things are likely to play out now in terms of rollout to younger ages

The opt in method some of us were calling for a long time ago

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409671808710680576?s=19

The ones that want to go on a holiday abroad this year will be very tempted to go for the AZ or J & J option (they could go the PCR route but it's expensive and you have to be tested abroad as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Strazdas wrote: »
    The ones that want to go on a holiday abroad this year will be very tempted to go for the AZ or J & J option (they could go the PCR route but it's expensive and you have to be tested abroad as well).

Or maybe even go for a meal or a pint. I'd say there'll be no shortage of takers. I'm glad it's opt in though

I see Boots have an online portal which says only to register if you’re over 50 otherwise it’ll be cancelled. I wonder if he should just fill that in with the rule change seemingly being imminent and maybe they’ll keep it on the system until it’s approved to give to him?

I would say it's worth a try, considering recommendation will be to provide AZ/ J and J as an opt-in to under-50s shortly.

That's great news that it's opt-in. Best approach all round, the people who want a vaccine ASAP will have an option to get one much sooner, and the people who have genuine concerns around clotting won't feel like they're being pushed to take vaccine they're not comfortable with.

Some of us have been saying for months that choice was the obvious way around the AZ/J&J issues but were told it would be impossible to implement. Great to see it finally happening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

How awful and scary. Hope you are feeling alot better. Understandably nervous, of course it is human nature. Def speak to your Dr. Also, please make sure that this is added and reported to the side effects list portal. The Doctor at the hospital commenting and querying is it Moderna - result of chemical event, needs to be more known. It is the first I have heard of and I am sure if more aware, people choosing to get hair highlights, coloured etc need to be aware as do hairdressers etc.

This now makes sense as to why my laser hair removal appointment have started sending me texts sayin if I get my vaccine in the two weeks before it I cant have my appointment. Nothing said for my patch test or booking but a flurry of emails and texts in the last few days.

EDIT: just read and saw other people also booking with them. Just said f-it and booked one for this Friday. I wrote a note in the “extra info for the pharmacist” explaining that we booked it pending a potential change in the rules which RTÉ are reporting.

I tried this last night, got a cancellation text this morning. Fair enough, was worth a go. It's worth emailing other local pharmacies as well, I got a response back from one this morning saying they expect to be offering the vaccine to under 40s shortly and will keep me updated.

I tried this last night, got a cancellation text this morning. Fair enough, was worth a go. It's worth emailing other local pharmacies as well, I got a response back from one this morning saying they expect to be offering the vaccine to under 40s shortly and will keep me updated.

Is this in the capital or down the country?

Yeah that's good advice, I was actually on a little hunt last night finding all the pharmacies within a reasonable radius and emailing all of them with expression of interest/asking to be added to a potential waiting list.

Hopefully a couple of them come back and say they'll add to some list, particularly the independent ones might do something like this as they're usually a little more 'personal' than Boots say (not knocking Boots, still a great pharmacy, but just the nature of a large chain corp).

• Advertisement

Is this in the capital or down the country?

In the capital. I'd imagine branches down the country might be a bit more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Flying Fox wrote: »
    That's great news that it's opt-in. Best approach all round, the people who want a vaccine ASAP will have an option to get one much sooner, and the people who have genuine concerns around clotting won't feel like they're being pushed to take vaccine they're not comfortable with.

Some of us have been saying for months that choice was the obvious way around the AZ/J&J issues but were told it would be impossible to implement. Great to see it finally happening anyway.
    I'm hoping that they move all the AZ & J&J to pharmacies, let the MVCs continue with Pfizer and Moderna.

This would simplify the process massively; if you want the former, book yourself in at a pharmacy. If you want the latter, register with the HSE.

Saves any messing with having to refuse appointments and wait for your preferred vaccine to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm actually assuming that any person aged 40+ who has yet to receive a first dose is eligible to get any one of the four vaccines. Are we aware of any vaccine being prohibited to any age cohort at this point?

I thought I read that AZ and J&J will be offered to under-40s and currently J&J is available for 50+. Which leaves Ages 40-49 with either Pfizer or Moderna only. And then obviously EMA has approved Pfizer for Ages 12+ in EU (although Ireland is still 16+) but the other Vaccines are 18+.

I thought I read that AZ and J&J will be offered to under-40s and currently J&J is available for 50+. Which leaves Ages 40-49 with either Pfizer or Moderna only. And then obviously EMA has approved Pfizer for Ages 12+ in EU (although Ireland is still 16+) but the other Vaccines are 18+.

I'd imagine the 40-49 thing is down to the fact most people in that age group who want a vaccine would have already registered for Pfizer/Moderna. Just a guess though. It does seem odd on the face of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

In the capital. I'd imagine branches down the country might be a bit more flexible.

Same rules apply, the vaccine portal is a little unforgiving so they won't do it until its approved. Funnily enough, the majority of pharmacies in Dublin haven't used their J&J stock whereas the country ones seemed to have faired better. Anecdotal statistics from work but id say you'll be well looked after once the guidance changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The overall advice from NIAC was always that AZ/J&J were never banned for anyone, but that where possible the mRNA vaccines should be administered.

The caveat in the advice was always that there shouldn't be unused vaccines left on the shelf while there were unvaccinated adults waiting. Thus, if there were no mRNA available, the other vaccines could be used.

Delta has changed the risk profile slightly that favours more rapid vaccination over extreme caution. I expect AZ/J&J will be made available to all age groups.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Same rules apply, the vaccine portal is a little unforgiving so they won't do it until its approved. Funnily enough, the majority of pharmacies in Dublin haven't used their J&J stock whereas the country ones seemed to have faired better. Anecdotal statistics from work but id say you'll be well looked after once the guidance changes.

Surprised at that, good to hear though! I thought it would be the opposite, my parents mentioned the other day that the local GP are flying through vaccines and are getting in touch with people in their 30s now so I assumed there would be less demand in pharmacies outside the city. They're in a very rural area though so probably something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

The reality is that pharmacies will vaccinate at the same pace as MVCs. So if they are allowed to vaccinate under 50s, that will still be only for people 35+ as this is the age cohort done in the MVCs.

There will not be a vaccine available for anyone in pharmacies while the MVCs are doing age based cohorts

zebastein wrote: »
    The reality is that pharmacies will vaccinate at the same pace as MVCs. So if they are allowed to vaccinate under 50s, that will still be only for people 35+ as this is the age cohort done in the MVCs.

There will not be a vaccine available for anyone in pharmacies while the MVCs are doing age based cohorts

If there is sufficient stock of vaccines due to expire (there is currently an excess supply of AZ/JnJ in scheduled deliveries beyond the number of people due to be vaccinated with them and over 50s are not having a lot of uptake as they've mostly been vaccinated), then they absolutely will give it to younger cohorts.

Also it doesn't make any sense to say they'll only vaccinate at the same pace. If you're 35+ now, you can register through the vaccine portal and get an appointment for the largely preferred mRNA vaccines in a couple of weeks. Why would said people go to the pharmacy and get AZ or JnJ en masse? The primary use of these spares will be to allow people further down the queue to opt in to get a vaccine sooner, if they're happy with AZ/JnJ. Otherwise, they can wait for the mRNA vaccines through the HSE portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Most 40s will have already received at least a first dose unless they have chosen not to. AZ stocks will be used for second vaccinations for over 60s, HCW etc before becoming surplus in August and available alongside J&J for anyone who wants them. The local pharmacy is collating a waitlist for J&J jabs and promises to schedule appointments as soon as the guidance is updated. She had been on Irish Times and other outlets commenting that they found it difficult to get 5 together to open vials.

Advertisement