Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

rm212 wrote: »
    If there is sufficient stock of vaccines due to expire (there is currently an excess supply of AZ/JnJ in scheduled deliveries beyond the number of people due to be vaccinated with them and over 50s are not having a lot of uptake as they've mostly been vaccinated), then they absolutely will give it to younger cohorts.

Also it doesn't make any sense to say they'll only vaccinate at the same pace. If you're 35+ now, you can register through the vaccine portal and get an appointment for the largely preferred mRNA vaccines in a couple of weeks. Why would said people go to the pharmacy and get AZ or JnJ en masse? The primary use of these spares will be to allow people further down the queue to opt in to get a vaccine sooner, if they're happy with AZ/JnJ. Otherwise, they can wait for the mRNA vaccines through the HSE portal.

The pharmacies are running in tandem with the HSE rollout, presumably that's all they're allowed to do. Look at the pharmacies that are offering Pfizer, they are only taking bookings from people who are 35+.

It still speeds up the rollout. When the next age group opens, a 34 y.o. could register on the portal and wait three weeks for a first dose, or they might be able to get a one dose J&J from a pharmacy within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

If there is sufficient stock of vaccines due to expire (there is currently an excess supply of AZ/JnJ in scheduled deliveries beyond the number of people due to be vaccinated with them and over 50s are not having a lot of uptake as they've mostly been vaccinated), then they absolutely will give it to younger cohorts.

Also it doesn't make any sense to say they'll only vaccinate at the same pace. If you're 35+ now, you can register through the vaccine portal and get an appointment for the largely preferred mRNA vaccines in a couple of weeks. Why would said people go to the pharmacy and get AZ or JnJ en masse? The primary use of these spares will be to allow people further down the queue to opt in to get a vaccine sooner, if they're happy with AZ/JnJ. Otherwise, they can wait for the mRNA vaccines through the HSE portal.

What you say is honestly what I wish it was, but that is not what the government planned for pharmacies.
    Pharmacies who took part in this scheme are pharmacies for people that are too far from a MVC (>5km I think). The idea was to increase the vaccination uptake by giving a local option to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I thought I read that AZ and J&J will be offered to under-40s and currently J&J is available for 50+. Which leaves Ages 40-49 with either Pfizer or Moderna only. And then obviously EMA has approved Pfizer for Ages 12+ in EU (although Ireland is still 16+) but the other Vaccines are 18+.

I've been trying to find a reliable source of which vaccines are approved in ireland for which age cohort and can't find anything on NIAC or otherwise - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Marcusm wrote: »
    Most 40s will have already received at least a first dose unless they have chosen not to. AZ stocks will be used for second vaccinations for over 60s, HCW etc before becoming surplus in August and available alongside J&J for anyone who wants them. The local pharmacy is collating a waitlist for J&J jabs and promises to schedule appointments as soon as the guidance is updated. She had been on Irish Times and other outlets commenting that they found it difficult to get 5 together to open vials.
    Second vaccinations will be for people in their 50s also, I thought. And the HSE has said the AZ vaccine will become surplus in the middle of July under the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

zebastein wrote: »
    What you say is honestly what I wish it was, but that is not what the government planned for pharmacies.
    Pharmacies who took part in this scheme are pharmacies for people that are too far from a MVC (>5km I think). The idea was to increase the vaccination uptake by giving a local option to people.

Wasn't that just for pharmacies who are administering vaccines to more remote rural areas? I've seen some pharmacies have a separate form for that on their website, I can't remember which one though. There was a dropdown option with one for rural vaccination and one for the Janssen vaccine. I was under the impression the the Janssen vaccine at pharmacies scheme is largely just to use up unused vaccines for people who are a bit more hesitant but who are more likely to take the vaccine given the convenience of one dose and a local pharmacy setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

When you get the appointment text are you told what vaccine it will be?

Are AZ & J&J linked to clotting more so than Pfizer and Moderna? Only reason I ask is that there is evidence that I have a mild clotting condition, however I have always been fit enough to not worry about it. I eat well, don't smoke and take the necessary precautions like walking the cabin on long flights etc.

I get it that the risks are very minute but as I have been conscious of it over the years I’d like to continue to do so even if it delays me getting the vaccine.

zebastein wrote: »

I believe Pfizer is mainly going to rural pharmacies but Janssen is much more widely available. Lots of Dublin pharmacies have it and will presumably open it up to 35-50 shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

GP said i've been referred by them for a vaccine this week (Cohort 7 but in my late 20s)

Any idea how long its taking form referral for these people to be called to centres?

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I believe Pfizer is mainly going to rural pharmacies but Janssen is much more widely available. Lots of Dublin pharmacies have it and will presumably open it up to 35-50 shortly.

Yes and I believe that Pfizer vaccine scheme in pharmacies is the one which is limited to the same cohorts as the portal, as it wouldn't be fair otherwise. The Janssen vaccine in pharmacies is just to use up doses which will otherwise go unused, and I expect it will be open to anyone when it is approved for use in under 40s, as they will need the demand to use them up. The vast majority of people over 35 will wait the extra couple of weeks to get their mRNA via the portal, rather than going with a Janssen vaccine in the pharmacy.

Younger people in 20s who want to get protected, go on holiday without tests etc, however, would probably generate quite a bit of demand for Janssen and potentially AZ in a few weeks if available, as they'll likely be waiting probably until mid to late Sept at least to be fully vaccinated via the MVCs.

Yes and I believe that Pfizer vaccine scheme in pharmacies is the one which is limited to the same cohorts as the portal, as it wouldn't be fair otherwise. The Janssen vaccine in pharmacies is just to use up doses which will otherwise go unused, and I expect it will be open to anyone when it is approved for use in under 40s, as they will need the demand to use them up. The vast majority of people over 35 will wait the extra couple of weeks to get their mRNA via the portal, rather than going with a Janssen vaccine in the pharmacy.

Younger people in 20s who want to get protected, go on holiday without tests etc, however, would probably generate quite a bit of demand for Janssen and potentially AZ in a few weeks if available, as they'll likely be waiting probably until mid to late Sept at least to be fully vaccinated via the MVCs.

I agree that this would make sense for Janssen, but the pharmacies can't do it unless they get the go ahead. Fingers crossed that will happen soon.

• Advertisement

There's a discussion on Claire Byrne now about how to convince young people to take AZ, with one contributor saying there can't be an element of choice. They seem to be ignoring what Eamon Ryan said last night about it being opt-in.

I agree that this would make sense for Janssen, but the pharmacies can't do it unless they get the go ahead. Fingers crossed that will happen soon.

Oh absolutely it would have to be approved by gov first, yeah. I just hope they do the very reasonable thing of telling pharmacies, 'we want these vaccines used up and not expiring on shelves, manage your appointments and lists in a way you deem reasonable based on age, circumstances, risk etc and above all, give it to anyone you can rather than let it expire'.

Pharmacists are not stupid, government should take hands off and let them manage it as they see appropriate to maximise use of the spare Janssen jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There's a discussion on Claire Byrne now about how to convince young people to take AZ, with one contributor saying there can't be an element of choice. They seem to be ignoring what Eamon Ryan said last night about it being opt-in.

Many young people wont want to choose AZ.

We've been told for months about how it isn't safe due to risk of blood clots.

We've also been told how it's best immune response is after 8 or 12 weeks.

We are now being offered 4 weeks gap between doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has there been any word lately from Niac on a decision on vaccination of kids Aged 12-15 as approved by EMA ?

With all this talk now of restricting indoor dining to people who are fully vaccinated with obviously the potential to extend that to other activities once operational, I am wondering where Ireland is on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has there been any word lately from Niac on a decision on vaccination of kids Aged 12-15 as approved by EMA ?

With all this talk now of restricting indoor dining to people who are fully vaccinated with obviously the potential to extend that to other activities once operational, I am wondering where Ireland is on this.

Its so long down the tracks before we'll have vaccines for that age group - unless they specifically allow it for the equivalent of Group 4 for them - that it won't come up for discussion for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Any update on the rollout of vaccines to under-40s in pharmacies?

When do pharmacies expect to be given the green light to proceed?

How many people who booked with Boots had their appointments cancelled?

Leinster90 wrote: »

Cancelled on my end, though another pharmacy came back to my expression of interest email and added to a list. They said as soon as they are given the go ahead, they'll be in touch to arrange an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.romania-insider.com/ro-sells-vaccines-denmark-jun-2021

Romania selling 1 million Pfizer doses to Denmark at acquisition price as they are getting close to expiry date.
    Did Ireland look to buy any of these?

I wonder if Bulgaria has vaccines for sale due to their low vaccine rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m assuming that there’s no issue with second doses of Pfizer for those of us who’ve already had a 1st dose. Just reading this thread it’s looking like the stocks are running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Leinster90 wrote: »

My Boots appointment got cancelled about an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

35 in Dublin registered on the 20th, should I be concerned I've heard nothing since? Seems like some people are getting appointments confirmed

35 in Dublin registered on the 20th, should I be concerned I've heard nothing since? Seems like some people are getting appointments confirmed

Helix are ahead of the other Dublin centres and they're down to 37 year olds. I don't think any 35 year olds in Dublin have appointments yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any confirmation when a decision will be made on giving J&J to under 50s?

I'd rather wait for that if I knew it be soon but I've an appointment for Pfizer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

yabadabado wrote: »

I'd rather wait for that if I knew it be soon but I've an appointment for Pfizer tomorrow.

Yes, it was authorised last night. Unclear yet though how it will be implemented and integrated into the system. Your main problem here would be that you can't pick the vaccine you are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

yabadabado wrote: »

Are you planning travelling anywhere in the next 4 weeks , because if not just take the appointment tomorrow and the 2nd dose in 4 weeks would be most peoples advise. The supply/demand situation with J&J in the pharmacies is not very clear at the min.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, it was authorised last night. Unclear yet though how it will be implemented and integrated into the system. Your main problem here would be that you can't pick the vaccine you are given.

Presumably you can if you're booking a vaccine through a pharmacy.

Eamon Ryan confirmed last night that AZ and J&J would be opt-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, that's right but they haven't specified how it will work exactly.

'Opt in' probably just means that 20+ will register on the online portal and if they are offered AZ or J & J by text notification, they accept that and go for their appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

This is a quote from Premier Holohan from his letter last night to Minister for Health.

"In that context, the NIAC have recommended that those
    aged 18-49 years who wish to opt for earlier vaccination can be offered an adenoviral vector vaccine
    subject to informed consent."

So now the HSE will need to put together protocol for someone to give consent, will take weeks for this I would imagine.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Some in their early 40ies were waiting 3+ weeks (South Dublin). For us in the 35-39 age bracket it might not be all that much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

lbj666 wrote: »
    The supply/demand situation with J&J in the pharmacies is not very clear at the min.

Huge demand if this is authorised soon formally. All pharmacies participating only got 50 doses and some have been used. At a guess I'd say 35,000 units in pharmacies waiting to be used with an additional 100,000 ready to be sent out. Haven't seen J&J deliveries as I stopped looking when I thought they were no longer relevant

Advertisement