Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

This is a quote from Premier Holohan from his letter last night to Minister for Health.

"In that context, the NIAC have recommended that those
    aged 18-49 years who wish to opt for earlier vaccination can be offered an adenoviral vector vaccine
    subject to informed consent."

So now the HSE will need to put together protocol for someone to give consent, will take weeks for this I would imagine.

I don't see why, it's a standard procedure in medicine. The vaccinator explains the risks and gives the person a form to read and sign. I don't think it needs to take weeks to come up with a protocol around it.

Implementation is the trickier part if they want to use the MVCs for this, but the simplest way to handle it is to just give all additional AZ and J&J stock to pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Why do they care if there is 2 million cases a day if we are all vaccinated and immune from severe illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This is a quote from Premier Holohan from his letter last night to Minister for Health.

"In that context, the NIAC have recommended that those
    aged 18-49 years who wish to opt for earlier vaccination can be offered an adenoviral vector vaccine
    subject to informed consent."

So now the HSE will need to put together protocol for someone to give consent, will take weeks for this I would imagine.

A pharmacy I emailed last night let me know they're hoping guidelines could be in place as early as today. I don't blame you at all for being sceptical but hopefully they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Why do they care if there is 2 million cases a day if we are all vaccinated and immune from severe illness?

We could end up in a horror scenario like the UK yesterday where there were over 20,000 cases and 3 deaths. Adjusting for population, that leaves us facing the terrifying prospect of 0 deaths here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We could end up in a horror scenario like the UK yesterday where there were over 20,000 cases and 3 deaths. Adjusting for population, that leaves us facing the terrifying prospect of 0 deaths here.

sweet_jesus.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

A pharmacy I emailed last night let me know they're hoping guidelines could be in place as early as today. I don't blame you at all for being sceptical but hopefully they're right.

I hope Im wrong also, but the way that NIAC NPHET and Govt have been carrying on, I would think that the Govt will have to confer with the Attorney general on this, as they do on all matters that they want to wash their hands of. Hence could take weeks to have a procedure in place.

I hope Im wrong, but the **** show continues and its getting ****ier.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think the best argument that could be made is that with such a significant number of cases, the liklihood of a worse mutation may be higher?

I'm guessing as I don't know frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.romania-insider.com/ro-sells-vaccines-denmark-jun-2021

Romania selling 1 million Pfizer doses to Denmark at acquisition price as they are getting close to expiry date.
    Did Ireland look to buy any of these?

I wonder if Bulgaria has vaccines for sale due to their low vaccine rate?

They're like the 2nd worst performing in Europe in terms of vaccination rollout and 1mill vaccines are expiring on them? Mad.. They should be pressurized by the EU to do more to convince their ppl as they're clearly not doing much about it. Puts us all in risk in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I can't find the little card they gave me on the first jab anywhere, I've turned the house upside down looking.

Is it absolutely necessary or will they give me the 2nd shot with photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think the best argument that could be made is that with such a significant number of cases, the liklihood of a worse mutation may be higher?

I'm guessing as I don't know frankly

Exactly. The reason we have Delta now is that humanity left a huge sandbox for the virus to experiment and improve. 1.5+ years in we're still not finished with depriving the virus of its enormous playfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

xboxdad wrote: »
    They're like the 2nd worst performing in Europe in terms of vaccination rollout and 1mill vaccines are expiring on them? Mad.. They should be pressurized by the EU to do more to convince their ppl as they're clearly not doing much about it. Puts us all in risk in the long term.

I think a lot of it comes down to public trust in government. The lower the level of trust, the lower the trust in public vaccination programmes. It could be due to bad recent history or because of lack of transparency. Then you’d use of non EMA approved vaccines in a rush towards Russian and Chinese products, in countries that are now showing some of the worst uptake.

It says everything about public trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If we have 2 million cases when everyone is vaccinated something will have gone wrong as they reduce transmission and viral load shed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,438 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm 31 and would accept the J&J one shot but obviously can't

One shot done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm 31 and would accept the J&J one shot but obviously can't

One shot done

I can see a lot of people in their 20s early 30s looking for J&J. 2 weeks later they can fly without pcr tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

29 here, I'd take absolutely anything. The vaccines we have are all staggeringly effective. The one shot is a bit of a dream alright though lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

If we have indoor hospitality for the vaccinated (generally older) population, the younger unvaccinated will indulge in plenty of unregulated un-distanced home hospitality. Have NPHET modelled this? Could the authorities control this? Why are journalists not asking really tough questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

McTigs wrote: »
    I can't find the little card they gave me on the first jab anywhere, I've turned the house upside down looking.

Is it absolutely necessary or will they give me the 2nd shot with photo ID?
    I lost mine before I even got home after my first vaccination :) Don't worry, they'll issue you with a new one when you get the second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

If we have indoor hospitality for the vaccinated (generally older) population, the younger unvaccinated will indulge in plenty of unregulated un-distanced home hospitality. Have NPHET modelled this? Could the authorities control this? Why are journalists not asking really tough questions?

Yeah very good point. Plus people who would have been cautious in that age group for the sake of the older population will think f this. I'm doing as I want now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,438 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I can see a lot of people in their 20s early 30s looking for J&J. 2 weeks later they can fly without pcr tests.

Yeah but me thinks NPHET won't change the vaccine advice because of that very reason

100% should be a choice if you want to take the J&J no matter you're age

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Yeah I'm 28 and will literally take anything I'm given at this point, but J&J would be an absolute dream for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I don't see this vaccinated and non-vaccinated thing working here in Ireland like everything else they made a shambles of. There will be people crying that it's their right to be unvaccinated and not take away their freedom.

Also if hospitality is now for those that are vaccinated or recovered from covid-19, what can other workplaces do now with vaccinated and non-vaccinated people?

sure half the workers won't even be vaccinated when they're posturing about opening :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't see this vaccinated and non-vaccinated thing working here in Ireland like everything else they made a shambles of. There will be people crying that it's their right to be unvaccinated and not take away their freedom.

Also if hospitality is now for those that are vaccinated or recovered from covid-19, what can other workplaces do now with vaccinated and non-vaccinated people?

It's not going to happen they will come to the 19th and say its going to be to hard to implement and put them off from opening until at least after the bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

What I'd be asking myself, is what has spooked them soo much about delaying the indoor dining, 're-opening' etc - the modelling for vaccination vs delta needs to be really explained in worst case scenarios etc.

Hence the need to get vaccinated as soon as you can - with whatever vaccine you can get and take.
    Numbers that have tested positive and are of Delta variant have doubled already in Germany- 36% June 15-20 to from 15% the previous week. Lothar Wieler , president of the Robert Koch Institute told officials in Germany earlier today that it is now representing more than 50% of registered cases.

Hence the concern I guess to increase the rate of vaccinations in as many age groups as possible and as speedily as possible and within vaccine supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What I'd be asking myself, is what has spooked them soo much about delaying the indoor dining, 're-opening' etc - the modelling for vaccination vs delta needs to be really explained in worst case scenarios etc.

Hence the need to get vaccinated as soon as you can - with whatever vaccine you can get and take.
    Numbers that have tested positive and are of Delta variant have doubled already in Germany- 36% June 15-20 to from 15% the previous week. Lothar Wieler , president of the Robert Koch Institute told officials in Germany earlier today that it is now representing more than 50% of registered cases.

Hence the concern I guess to increase the rate of vaccinations in as many age groups as possible and as speedily as possible and within vaccine supplies.
    Then they should just say that. It doesn't require any modelling.
    BTW 36% and 50% of what number?

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier or not, but I'm wondering whether the decision to only allow those vaccinated into pubs and restaurants was a decision made to incentivise younger folk into taking J&J or AZ????

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Has anybody living in Republic close to the border got vaccine in the North?
    It seems they are allowing walk ins and not requiring NHS number. Just ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't know if it was mentioned earlier or not, but I'm wondering whether the decision to only allow those vaccinated into pubs and restaurants was a decision made to incentivise younger folk into taking J&J or AZ????
    Can't incentivize people to sign up to something that is not available to them.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't incentivize people to sign up to something that is not available to them.

I know. However, that may be the game plan when possible is my point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Media seems a little confused. Can pharmacies now give the J&J vaccine to any adult? Says that NIAC and NEPHET have approved this but don't know if it's in place yet. Should I be ringing the pharmacy does anyone know?

Advertisement