Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I suffer from asthma, its persistent.

I didnt know I could have gone to my GP to avail of the Vaccine.

I spoke to a friend whos Asthma would be less severe who just received his 2nd jab.

I contacted my GP who informed me that as of 28th of May they are not giving C19 Jabs.

I asked for them if it was possible to refer me to another GP who is still participating in giving jabs

Is this possible?

They are saying its not possible.

They always have been quite rude and blunt but I just said check.

I am in my 20s so i will be waiting some time

You're in the high risk category and should have been vaccinated already...

source - I have a few asthmatic friends in 20s/30's who are fully vaccinated

If your GP is no use, get in contact with a vaccination centre directly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I suffer from asthma, its persistent.

I didnt know I could have gone to my GP to avail of the Vaccine.

I spoke to a friend whos Asthma would be less severe who just received his 2nd jab.

I contacted my GP who informed me that as of 28th of May they are not giving C19 Jabs.

I asked for them if it was possible to refer me to another GP who is still participating in giving jabs

Is this possible?

They are saying its not possible.

They always have been quite rude and blunt but I just said check.

I am in my 20s so i will be waiting some time

I'd recommend you change your GP practice if at all possible too. In the meantime you should probably call around different GPs and explain your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

From tomorrow the HSE is to operate a three strikes and you are out policy for people who have repeatedly refused to attend appointments for a Covid-19 vaccine. The get tough move is aimed at speeding up the roll out of vaccines and cutting down on wastage.

The HSE said today that from July 1 it will automatically stop offering people further appointments, once they have refused three.

"If someone wishes to be offered further appointments they will need to contact HSE Live and ask that they be reinstated."
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-gets-tough-on-covid-19-vaccine-no-shows-with-new-three-strikes-and-youre-out-policy-40598879.html

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I think the three strikes system is something they should have introduced a long time ago, the idea that they'll give you repeated appointments ad infinitum was a bit ridiculous, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Would full vaccination of 90% of adults be enough for herd immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Have we any sense when the pharmacies are likely to start vaccinating the under 50s with Jansen?

Spoke to the union today and indications are middle of next week with an update by Friday with the updated operating procedure. Informed consent seems to be the issue they are clarifying.

Bit of frustration around the slow movement along with the issue of reordering stock. Only a handful of stores have been given a 2nd delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

70-80% is what they are after, 90% is heading for measles territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Sorry if it's been posted already but if you turn up to mvc at end of day without text ,would there be any chance of getting a leftover vaccine ,
    Wife is due her second from Saturday and no text yet , I'm younger and I'm getting mine on Friday .

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Tony H wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been posted already but if you turn up to mvc at end of day without text ,would there be any chance of getting a leftover vaccine ,
    Wife is due her second from Saturday and no text yet , I'm younger and I'm getting mine on Friday .

If she shows up with you and explains the situation I'd say she has a good chance of being allowed in. Worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

NPHET modelling did not account for change allowing AstraZeneca and Janssen vaccines being made available to all age groups, TDs told

https://jrnl.ie/5481608

An important factor, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Probably not. Forget about % of adults for herd immunity, because under 18s are not immune.

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/2021-06-29/delta-variant-hinders-herd-immunity/60712
    With this variant [delta], herd immunity will not be achieved at 70 percent, but with values ​​very close to 85 percent of immunization

85% of total population in Ireland is around 113% of adults, or everyone down to the age of 12.

With some hesitancy, it's possible that we would have to offer vaccines to everyone of school age and over.

And that's before the next variant...

Alternatively we could just wait for the kids to get infected and develop natural immunity. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

JPup wrote: »
    If she shows up with you and explains the situation I'd say she has a good chance of being allowed in. Worth a try anyway.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Worth a try but very doubtful you’ll get anything.

Thanks , she is a very determined kind of person so she might give it a lash anyway ,
    It's irritating that they are not sticking to sorting it out by age
    but I can't talk I registered early and she didn't want the Az vaccine under any circumstances ,how things change .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

everlast75 wrote: »
    NPHET modelling did not account for change allowing AstraZeneca and Janssen vaccines being made available to all age groups, TDs told

An important factor, no?

I'd imagine so, to be fair NIAC only changed their recommendation on Monday so NPHET may not have had time to include that but it's a huge caveat which according to that report wasn't clear at the cabinet discussion.

Honestly, as time goes on this modelling will be ripped apart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

everlast75 wrote: »

An important factor, no?

Supplies of AZ and J&J have been poor/unreliable to date. Most existing stock of AZ is being used up for 60-69 2nd shot until mid-July.
    However, Ireland is at a "worst-case scenario" with the one-shot Janssen vaccine. Less than 80,000 doses of the vaccine have been delivered to Ireland in June.

That was from an original estimate of 470,000 doses.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hse-confirm-major-drop-vaccine-24381454

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is that not too low

Israel have 70%?

They are bringing back restrictions
    It's the estimated range but the higher the better, some here have said over 80% is needed. Israel are only at about 60% with both shots as their programme stalled a good bit in younger age groups. Just masks indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd imagine so, to be fair NIAC only changed their recommendation on Monday so NPHET may not have had time to include that but it's a huge caveat which according to that report wasn't clear at the cabinet discussion.

But they've given four different scenarios and predictions to the Govt, including a 'best case' and 'worst case'. Some media are reporting this as if they only made only a single doomsday prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Am I supposed to get a response when I reply to the text with 'New' to reschedule an appointment?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Am I supposed to get a response when I reply to the text with 'New' to reschedule an appointment?

You will. I replied thus to my first appointment.
    Got a reply with a new appointment the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

duffman13 wrote: »

Nphet and Niac work in tandum here .Ireland is a village not a super state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

Can the text for an appointment be received at any time of the day?

Just wondering if it's anymore likely to receive it morning or night?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

You're in the high risk category and should have been vaccinated already...

source - I have a few asthmatic friends in 20s/30's who are fully vaccinated

If your GP is no use, get in contact with a vaccination centre directly

The HSE has classified asthma as a high risk, so have the CDC, but there is little to no evidence to support this. In fact many studies show that people with asthma have better outcomes which is possibly down to the medication that they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

eoinbn wrote: »
    The HSE has classified asthma as a high risk, so have the CDC, but there is little to no evidence to support this. In fact many studies show that people with asthma have better outcomes which is possibly down to the medication that they are on.

What's the point of your comment?

Severe asthma (not asthma) requiring continuous or repeated use of systemic corticosteroids is classed as high risk and they can avail of the vaccine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Are there any estimates of how many went North for vaccine tourism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

I was told by the receptionist

“For cohort 7 with regards to asthma it was anyone who has been hospitalized in the last year. It is deemed as chronic asthma.“

I don’t fall into that category afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Reati wrote: »
    What's the point of your comment?

Severe asthma (not asthma) requiring continuous or repeated use of systemic corticosteroids is classed as high risk and they can avail of the vaccine now.

My point is that is it wrongly classified and that a person with just asthma no more reason to worry about covid than anyone else. The stress of thinking that you are at very high risk, when you aren't, is only going to do harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Trying to figure out where we will be at end of July with vaccines.

Current position (excludes today, based on Briain McCraith tweet)
    4.1 million doses administered
    1.6 million with 2 doses
    0.07 million with J&J (fully vaccinated with 1 dose)
    0.83 million with 1 dose only

Let's say we keep going with 50,000 doses per day for the next 32 days (all of July plus June 30th)

5.7 million doses administered
    2.53 million with 2 doses (2.43 million who had at least 1 dose as at 29th June plus a bit extra to allow for people who get 1st doses before 3rd July)
    0.2 million with J&J
    0.44 million with 1 dose

With over 18 population of 3.75 million, that gives 72% fully vaccinated, 85% with at least one dose at end of July - wow! Even one dose gives 90%+ protection against hospitalisation.

So, do we have the supplies to get there - yes we do! Based on Belgium data, we are due to get 1.75 million doses from 28th June to 26th July (and we have a bit in stock right now).

And, we've shown we can do 50,000 doses a day. We can even go a bit faster using pharmacies for J&J and AZ. Everyone who wants a vaccine can get a 1st dose by mid August.

Maybe there is a flaw in my numbers, let me know if you spot anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

Ireland is the only EU country not to have the Vaccine Cert ready on time.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0630/1232241-covid-ireland-figures/
    They blame the Ransomware hack, but I thought that this did not affect the vaccination programme. So we are the only EU country not rolling out the certificate to-morrow. OK I know it was promised for July 19th, for what I thought was for reasons related to discouraging foreign travel. I just wonder what the HSE is really up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Trying to figure out where we will be at end of July with vaccines.

Current position (excludes today, based on Briain McCraith tweet)
    4.1 million doses administered
    1.6 million with 2 doses
    0.07 million with J&J (fully vaccinated with 1 dose)
    2.43 million with 1 dose

Let's say we keep going with 50,000 doses per day for the next 32 days (all of July plus June 30th)

5.7 million doses administered
    2.53 million with 2 doses (2.43 million who had 1 dose as at 29th June plus a bit extra to allow for people who get 1st doses before 3rd July)
    0.2 million with J&J
    0.44 million with 1 dose

With over 18 population of 3.75 million, that gives 72% fully vaccinated, 85% with at least one dose at end of July - wow! Even one dose gives 90%+ protection against hospitalisation.

So, do we have the supplies to get there - yes we do! Based on Belgium data, we are due to get 1.75 million doses from 28th June to 26th July (and we have a bit in stock right now).

And, we've shown we can do 50,000 doses a day. We can even go a bit faster using pharmacies for J&J and AZ. Everyone who wants a vaccine can get a 1st dose by mid August.

Maybe there is a flaw in my numbers, let me know if you spot anything

Sounds roughly right. In 2 weeks time, the aim is for 75% partly vaccinated, 55% fully because of AZ/Janssen being available to all age groups now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mid-july-return-for-indoor-dining-if-uk-data-shows-delta-less-severe-government-1.4608050

Labour leader Alan Kelly said that the absence of the Niac data in the modelling presented to the Government on Tuesday was a “game changer”.

“If the vaccine is available to that age cohort, it will mean in two weeks’ time we will move from 50 per cent fully vaccinated, and 70 per cent partly vaccinated, to 55 per cent fully vaccinated and 75 per cent partly vaccinated,” Mr Kelly said after the meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

eoinbn wrote: »
    My point is that is it wrongly classified and that a person with just asthma no more reason to worry about covid than anyone else. The stress of thinking that you are at very high risk, when you aren't, is only going to do harm.

I think it depends on whether GPs are continuing to vaccinate and are ordering supplies. If they order them they will get them and they can then decide, on the basis of who needs it, who is offered it. It appears that some GPs are continuing to order even if they don't have high risk patients and they give it to those who ask for it. I know of two people, one 20 years old and one in 30s who have both been double jabbed (Pfizer) on the basis they have asthma (2 different GPs). Am fairly sure neither of them has ever been hospitalised. Unfortunately it depends on your GP and if your GP isn't vaccinating you could try the portal for Cohort 7 or just wait

Advertisement