Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

KrustyUCC wrote: »

That's really poor on their part. Would make you question them as a news source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eoinbn wrote: »
    UK is at 90%+. We are going at about the same rate as them now. They have been going close to this rate since late January.

Correct. And there is no catching up happening. The EU sustained a vaccinaton rate higher than the UK for a total of 9 days in five months.

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    2.4 years for us to get to 75% of the [population surely a mistake?

That's based on the 7 day vaccination average to 7th February. So it was meaningless at the time and even less so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The equivalent UK figure is 89. 2.5m is total doses not total people

That is very weird. I was reading The Guardian 30 minutes ago and they had a headline under their Coronavirus section which said that 57% of people had been vaccinated to 24th May. I just went back in now and it's gone and I can't find it. I googled the 57% figure and it is valid for the end of March. Either The Guardian messed up and it was spotted or I must get off the LSD.

That is very weird. I was reading The Guardian 30 minutes ago and they had a headline under their Coronavirus section which said that 57% of people had been vaccinated to 24th May. I just went back in now and it's gone and I can't find it. I googled the 57% figure and it is valid for the end of March. Either The Guardian messed up and it was spotted or I must get off the LSD.

57% of people have received a vaccine. Many of them have two, thats why they have 89 doses per 100.

Ireland has 51 doses per 100 and based on the fact that until the service interruption at the HSE we were tracking very close to France we are probably at around 33% of the population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

57% of people have received a vaccine. Many of them have two, thats why they have 89 doses per million.

Ireland has 51 doses per 100 and based on the fact that until the service interruption at the HSE we were tracking very close to France we are probably at around 33% of the population

So they messed up their headline. I was wondering because there shouldn't be any way we could catch up so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

57% of people have received a vaccine. Many of them have two, thats why they have 89 doses per million.

Is there any merit in factoring in how many have had the virus too and survived, given that they are (I believe) significantly resistant to the virus?

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-teencove-study-its-covid-19-vaccine

Moderna have announced the results of their study in adolescents. 3700 participants in total. No cases in the vaccine arm compared to 4 in the placebo so 100% efficacy. No significant safety concerns.

So with 2.5m doses administered by end of today Ireland has at least caught up with the EU average (50.17% as of yesterday), which is impressive given that HSE IT is on its knees after a cyberattack. Admittedly that didn't affect needles, but I can imagine they're all out of digital sellotape and string at this point.

The magic number (from where we can expect sustained suppression) is around 5m doses, or 4.5m if we use another half million of J+J.

At half a milliion every 10 days that's....40 days. Five more weeks, and change.

Ugh. Please make this end.

In unrelated news I now personally know two vaccine hesisators. One is a Jehovah's witness who told me it's end of days anyway so what's the point. The other personally witnessed Jesus Christ crossing the lake on foot at Glendalough to shake his hand when he was out walking the dogs, accompanied by a cohort of knights in full armour on horseback. I'd say my odds of changing their minds is low to medium, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

How old is the youngest 45-49yo person you know that received a text with an appointment already?

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is there any merit in factoring in how many have had the virus too and survived, given that they are (I believe) significantly resistant to the virus?

Of course there is. Probably somewhere around 15-20% of the population based on death rates. Of course many of those will have been vaccinated so would estimate 40-45% have resistance through vaccination or previous infection.

In the UK its probably closer to 30%. Again, many of these will be vaccinated also, but approaching 70% should have some level of resistance

What a horrible way of comparing vaccinations, this dozes per 100 is a crime against statistics imho

Country A has 200 per 100 as they use AZ or Pfizer

Country B has 100 per 100 as they use single shot vaccine

Both have same result, one appears to be twice better of…

It is, but some were assuming because we had 2.5m doses we had 51% coverage when in fact its 51 doses per 100 and probably 33% coverage.

It does measure success at getting doses into arms however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

xboxdad wrote: »
    How old is the youngest 45-49yo person you know that received a text with an appointment already?

I am in that age bracket and I only know of one 49 year old to get an appointment. Still have friends in early 50,s waiting on appointments while some getting it done this week

Hence fully vaccinated is the only figure that matters

Not true. At the start of April the UK was only 7% fully vaccinated, but their 46% first dose coverage was enough (with restrictions) to push their cases down to around 60/million/day, a rate we only achieved in mid-May with around 40% first doses and 15% fully vaccinated.

So in some cases first dose coverage is a good proxy for levels of herd immunity, but number of doses administered is a good indicator for progress within a given country's vaccination programme, since it takes the same amount of effort to administer one dose of any vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

More good news:

Moderna jab stops Covid transmission in people aged 12 to 18, trial finds

Another piece of the puzzle, trying to determine whether Covid vaccines also reduce transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Portal doesn't make sense, I registered my Chef house mate who gave me his details, he still hasn't been given a code to verify. When I went to check his details today it asked me for a password, I never created a password and just tried to log in, still asking for password? Why is it asking for a password when none was created.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Portal doesn't make sense, I registered my Chef house mate who gave me his details, he still hasn't been given a code to verify. When I went to check his details today it asked me for a password, I never created a password and just tried to log in, still asking for password? Why is it asking for a password when none was created.

This happened my Mam, had to ring up the HSE helpline and they sorted it over the phone pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ If the account wasn't verified, it probably was not finalized. So you would need to try registering again.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/user-guide/texts-and-emails-you-will-get/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ If the account wasn't verified, it probably was not finalized. So you would need to try registering again.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/user-guide/texts-and-emails-you-will-get/

Just tried reregistering and I'm getting a (User already exists) there and when I go to 'already have an account' I get stuck at the same password issue.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The registration process gets you to set a password.

In this case the process hasn't been completed. First you verify the details by email when registering, then you'll get the text.

If you didn't do the email bit then the registration wasn't completed correctly.

Call up the HSE if you've not got the email verification etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Just tried reregistering and I'm getting a (User already exists) there and when I go to 'already have an account' I get stuck at the same password issue.

Contact the helpline in that case. They may have to cancel your first attempt and get you to register again.

Edit: - Try the process from email link if it hasn't expired by now.

"If you do not get your code by text message, click "Resend Code" on the "Verify Your Identity" page.

The link in your registration confirmation email will bring you to this page. The "Resend Code" link is under the "Verify" button."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fiancee got her second Pfizer today

great to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vaccine hesitancy a problem in India, including this quite extreme example.
    Vaccine hesitancy in India's rural villages has been a widespread issue for several months. A nationwide survey taken in December found that only 44 percent of villagers said they were willing to get the jab, National Geographic reported.

https://www.newsweek.com/villagers-india-flee-homes-jump-river-avoid-covid-vaccination-1594573

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

What a horrible way of comparing vaccinations, this dozes per 100 is a crime against statistics imho

Country A has 200 per 100 as they use AZ or Pfizer

Country B has 100 per 100 as they use single shot vaccine

Both have same result, one appears to be twice better of…

Not really since J&J is the only single shot vaccine in use and its rollout is so far statistically insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    Vaccine hesitancy a problem in India, including this quite extreme example.

They're doing great work with early intervention there to prevent hospital admissions, Roches cocktail has now been approved for over 12's. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/covid-19-antibody-cocktail-used-to-treat-trump-launched-in-india-at-rs-59750/dose/articleshow/82904857.cms
    It seems very expensive though or am I converting it wrong. €675 euro?

Surprised the talk of intervention here as in the media is non existent.

They're doing great work with early intervention there to prevent hospital admissions, Roches cocktail has now been approved for over 12's. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/covid-19-antibody-cocktail-used-to-treat-trump-launched-in-india-at-rs-59750/dose/articleshow/82904857.cms
    It seems very expensive though or am I converting it wrong. €675 euro?

Surprised the talk of intervention here as in the media is non existent.

"why get antibodies created by your own immune triggered by the highly effective vaccine at a few € per dose, when you can get a cocktail of lab antibodies at €675"

John Campbell UK, believes women should get pfzier and men get AZ based on rare side effects. Convincing arguments when you listen to his recent video on youtube. Men more likely than to get Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) with pfzier. Women more likely to get blod clots in brain with AZ. I agree. I got AZ and am hoping wife gets pfzier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pr9yG7CMbY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

"why get antibodies created by your own immune triggered by the highly effective vaccine at a few € per dose, when you can get a cocktail of lab antibodies at €675"

Because your currently symptomatic and we want to avoid someone ending up in hospital, you don't vaccinate someone with covid to my knowledge.
    I'll leave it at that no point dragging this thread off topic.

It might make sense for a young sub-population who have a low risk of hospitalisation.

e.g. if the rate of hospitalisation is only 1/1000, and the infection rate is 1/100, then one dose of magic cocktail cleans up the mess of 100,000 unvaccinated people.

You can then continue directing the vaccines to the most medically vulnerable (old and sick) until you have enough to do the young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Alan Kelly spreading misinformation.

twat
    Our politicians are a joke!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397181624287105031?s=21

Advertisement