Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Final results on Curevac is 48% efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ireland is the only EU country not to have the Vaccine Cert ready on time.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0630/1232241-covid-ireland-figures/
    They blame the Ransomware hack, but I thought that this did not affect the vaccination programme. So we are the only EU country not rolling out the certificate to-morrow. OK I know it was promised for July 19th, for what I thought was for reasons related to discouraging foreign travel. I just wonder what the HSE is really up to.

It's not a vaccine cert it's a digital covid cert, vaccinations are only one part of it, data is also needed on recent infections and negative PCRs, both of which are affected by the hack

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland is the only EU country not to have the Vaccine Cert ready on time.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0630/1232241-covid-ireland-figures/
    They blame the Ransomware hack, but I thought that this did not affect the vaccination programme. So we are the only EU country not rolling out the certificate to-morrow. OK I know it was promised for July 19th, for what I thought was for reasons related to discouraging foreign travel. I just wonder what the HSE is really up to.

I'd have my suspicions the Govt simply didn't want international travel to start tomorrow and deliberately delayed the launch of the cert by two or three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

I have read somewhere that there is 5% of the population for whom these vaccinations just do not work?

Is that right?

If so ,are they included in the figures that describe the protection we get against Covid for either symptoms or hospitalization?

I mean,suppose we are told that the protection against hospitalization after 2 doses of AZ is 88% does that figure include those for whom the vaccine was ineffective?

If not ,might that 88% be nudged up to just under 93%?(maths is my forte ;) )

And correspondingly with other levels of protection.Is there a benefit from simply being in the group for whom the vaccine works in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Jeeez that’s a letdown. Any word on the effects on hospitalisations and death?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

On the bright side, Sanofi started Phase 3 for their Covid vaccine a month ago. Should be good to go sometime in Q4 if all goes well.

https://www.sanofi.com/en/media-room/press-releases/2021/2021-05-27-07-30-00-2236989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Reckon a new age group will open for the vax reg website. It's having updates. Can't currently logon

But perhaps may be just fixing bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

This is efficacy against disease of any severity. According to the press release, the efficacy is 77% protection from moderate to severe disease and 100% protection against hospitalisation or death. So, maybe it’s not totally useless

This is efficacy against disease of any severity. According to the press release, the efficacy is 77% protection from moderate to severe disease and 100% protection against hospitalisation or death. So, maybe it’s not totally useless

But only in the 18-60 age group. There's no data for older groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

It's not a vaccine cert it's a digital covid cert, vaccinations are only one part of it, data is also needed on recent infections and negative PCRs, both of which are affected by the hack
    Most people will have not had any PCRs or recent Covid infections, just the 1 or 2 vaccine shots. Why cant these get the cert? (whatever name you give it).

I hope I am wrong, but I smell a rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hardyn wrote: »

Do you have any idea why its performance is seemingly significantly lower than the other MRNA vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Most people will have not had any PCRs or recent Covid infections, just the 1 or 2 vaccine shots. Why cant these get the cert? (whatever name you give it).

I hope I am wrong, but I smell a rat.

Apart from the hack which would see some delays with it , it was always said that there was 6 weeks to bring it in in any of the EU countries .
    So we are a few weeks into that 6 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Hardyn wrote: »

Yes, and only 6 hospitalisations in the placebo group (compared to zero in vaccine group), so small sample size.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

That is only in people aged 18-60. It's a dud. The manufacturing resources should be given to BioNtech. I have no problem with the EU funding its second gen once Curevac understand the issue. My worry is that they haven't been honest. The warning signs were there last November that it wasnt very effective yet they kept spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

amandstu wrote: »
    I have read somewhere that there is 5% of the population for whom these vaccinations just do not work?

This seems to be falsely attributed to Philip Nolan. He did made a statement trying to illustrate how a tiny proportion of a vaccinated cohort is still vulnerable. The trouble is people have taken his hypothetical scenario as an actual one.
    Nolan imagined a vaccine 95% effective against severe disease to illustrate vulnerability of the health system to severe illness in vulnerable cohorts.

Side note :
    This illustration was flawed. Nolan assumed the entire vaccinated cohort numbering 500,000 people would get infected. It's highly unlikely all 500,000 would be infected. The principle point he was illustrating was unaffected. The magnitude of the numbers though was well off. I hope he's aware of this and issues a clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

skinny90 wrote: »
    I was told by the receptionist

“For cohort 7 with regards to asthma it was anyone who has been hospitalized in the last year. It is deemed as chronic asthma.“

I don’t fall into that category afaik

What do you think? The email thread back and forth is ridiculous. I’ve tried a few other GPs but they arnt taken on new patients

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

josip wrote: »
    Why are NPHET's recommendations always 'leaked' to the press the day before the cabinet meets to discuss them?
    They seem to do a bit more than boiler plate 'advising'.

Kite flying to see how much insurrection the public will hurl at them basically. Have been doing it for years now.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Do you have any idea why its performance is seemingly significantly lower than the other MRNA vaccines?

From what I can gather it may be because they used unmodified mRNA. Pfizer and Moderna altered it to improve stability.

It may have degraded before it met a ribosome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I read something earlier that the mRNA vaccines can give long term immunity. They figured this out by taking samples from people throughout their study and there wasn't any drop in antibodies over time.

Sounds like good news. Then I read about the UK giving boosters from September. I am just so so confused with what's happening. And if the UK starts giving boosters, what about us? We'll still be vaccinating 20 year olds in September and now there's talk of boosters. Will we ever get on top of all this?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Kite flying to see how much insurrection the public will hurl at them basically. Have been doing it for years now.

Are you sure it's NPHET doing the leaking? They are a state body with state employees and not in the popularity or spin business (they don't get elected and don't need to be popular).

I'd suggest it's more likely to be politicians doing the leaking to journalists.

• Advertisement

I read something earlier that the mRNA vaccines can give long term immunity. They figured this out by taking samples from people throughout their study and there wasn't any drop in antibodies over time.

Sounds like good news. Then I read about the UK giving boosters from September. I am just so so confused with what's happening. And if the UK starts giving boosters, what about us? We'll still be vaccinating 20 year olds in September and now there's talk of boosters. Will we ever get on top of all this?
    Thought I read recently someone** somewhere saying it would be unconscionable for the rich countries to be providing boosters before the less well off were vaccinated(something along those lines)

Anyway ,looks like we all sink or swim together.

** maybe it was WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Had it been announced that we'd breached the 60k mark on Friday? I can only remember mention of days being over 50k

Strazdas wrote: »
    NPHET They are a state body with state employees and not in the popularity or spin business.

You must be joking! They don’t spin or leak? Haha, oh boy.

Back on thread topic - got vaxxed today. 28, education worker. Was on a reserve list with local GP (busy practice). Everyone there seemed of a similar age. They were horsing through them, constant stream of people in and out with 20 minutes.

To be honest I’d felt fed up with the whole thing the last few days, for someone who is majorly pro vax I was even considering what’s the point after the madness the last 48 hours. But the call gave me a bit of a sudden pep for the first time in a while.

You must be joking! They don’t spin or leak? Haha, oh boy.

Back on thread topic - got vaxxed today. 28, education worker. Was on a reserve list with local GP (busy practice). Everyone there seemed of a similar age. They were horsing through them, constant stream of people in and out with 20 minutes.

To be honest I’d felt fed up with the whole thing the last few days, for someone who is majorly pro vax I was even considering what’s the point after the madness the last 48 hours. But the call gave me a bit of a sudden pep for the first time in a while.

You think journalists have Tony Holohan, Ronan Glynn and Philip Nolan on speed dial and are getting constant updates from them? They are civil servants working for the State and are almost certainly not even permitted to have that type of contact with the press. You're mixing them up with ministers and TDs. Leaking info to the media would nearly be a sackable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Does anyone know how they give the vaccines here?

Watched a video from Dr John Campbell and their vaccinators don't aspirate when injecting the needle. And this has been causing some problems by hitting a blood vessel. The vaccine should be going into the muscle and not into a blood vessel.

The point of aspiration, or sticking the needle in and drawing back on the plunger before injection is if you're in a blood vessel, you will draw out blood and know not to inject.
    If you inject, aspirate or draw back and no blood means you're in the muscle and it's safe to give the injection.

A reply under his video came from a paramedic who was never trained to aspirate when giving injections. Watched two YouTube videos afterwards on intramuscular injections and none of them aspirated the needle.

I might sound weird but I'll be asking the vaccinator to aspirate the needle for my next shot to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

Does anyone know how they give the vaccines here?

I can't speak for the other 4,1 million doses given, but the person who administered mine was obviously a skilled and a professional medical practitioner. I would have embarassed myself if I had told her I watched videos on Youtube, and started giving her advice on how to do her job.

Advertisement