Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thank you. That's a very interesting way to view it with figures I was unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Skygord wrote: »
    How far are we from being able to say "our vulnerable are fully vaccinated"?

For this analysis, I've defined "our vulnerable" as:
    • Cohort 1 (Long Term Residential Care)
    • Cohort 3 (Over 70's)
    • Cohort 4 (Medically Very High Risk)
    • Cohort 5 (60's)
    • Cohort 7 (Medically High Risk)

According to
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-29-june-2021.pdf

the total of these cohorts awaiting their 2nd dose is 385,394, which breaks down to:
    • Cohort 1: 5114
    • Cohort 3: 32,223
    • Cohort 4: 43,438
    • Cohort 5: 221,061
    • Cohort 7: 83,558

I'd say around two weeks to clear the vast majority of that, with AZ second doses being brought forward currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

xboxdad wrote: »
    You can't just look at an individual country.

Approx 18 months into the pandemic, humanity still didn't manage to vaccinate all adults on the planet, not even close.
    This leaves the virus an ideal field to experiment/mutate/evolve.
    When we all consider it done here, one day a guy from some poor country where vaccination uptake is still 10% will travel here some undocumented/indirect way and bring in a new strain that'll laugh at our vaccines - if we keep pretending it's enough to vaccinate our own ppl here.
    We can't leave this much space for the virus to experiment and evolve, anywhere on the planet - for this to be over.

Also, I'm a parent and my #1 concern is children. Let's not pretend we know what covid will cause in asymptomatic ppl/children in the coming decades.
    Tons of ppl say they're afraid of unproven vaccines yet they're very happy to let an "unproven" virus infect entire generations of children and "see what happens" in the long term.
    I can't agree with that and I'm hoping this is becoming an increasingly outdated view originating from the times when we were still unsure if we could put out the very visible flames (immediate hospitalizations/deaths) and could focus on nothing else.
    Replying to that adequately would involve some pretty long conversations and honestly it's difficult to convey an accurate message on boards.ie. I would say though that your response doesn't really address what I'm talking about - which is NPHET's modelling in the context of the vaccine rollout. And viruses don't "experiment".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Skygord wrote: »
    How far are we from being able to say "our vulnerable are fully vaccinated"?

For this analysis, I've defined "our vulnerable" as:
    • Cohort 1 (Long Term Residential Care)
    • Cohort 3 (Over 70's)
    • Cohort 4 (Medically Very High Risk)
    • Cohort 5 (60's)
    • Cohort 7 (Medically High Risk)

According to
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-29-june-2021.pdf

the total of these cohorts awaiting their 2nd dose is 385,394, which breaks down to:
    • Cohort 1: 5114
    • Cohort 3: 32,223
    • Cohort 4: 43,438
    • Cohort 5: 221,061
    • Cohort 7: 83,558

Good list.

I wonder how accurate that is.
    Why 5,000 people in care homes not had a second vaccine?
    The over 60's are getting their second AZ dose now, why so many over 70's on Pfizer haven't?

I'd imagine these numbers are much lower when they add in GP vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 penguinbaby

Tenger wrote: »
    You will. I replied thus to my first appointment.
    Got a reply with a new appointment the next day.

I replied new last thurs and im still waiting for a new appointment. I rang and they told me it could take up to 3 weeks to get a new app. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Good list.

I wonder how accurate that is.
    Why 5,000 people in care homes not had a second vaccine?

I'd assume some of them either died or weakened to a point where it was medically inadvisable to give them a 2nd vaccine dose.
    Probably wouldn't account for all 5000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Replying to that adequately would involve some pretty long conversations and honestly it's difficult to convey an accurate message on boards.ie. I would say though that your response doesn't really address what I'm talking about - which is NPHET's modelling in the context of the vaccine rollout. And viruses don't "experiment".

OK, I agree this is too complex of a topic to try and discuss in detail.
    What I mean when I say they "experiment" is evolution. E.g. trial and error. Mutations happen on a regular basis, but most of them are less successful than the existing strain(s), e.g. you only ever hear about the mutations that were more/similarly successful as the existing strain(s). The larger the "sandbox" (=unvaccinated population) the virus has to do this trial&error the faster we'll see successful mutations/strains appear in our stats.
    This is what I attempted to avoid typing in by just saying "experimenting" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Can I ask and apologies if this has been answered but i just read that J&J will now be given to 18-29 age group and not a mention of the 30-34 group. Is there any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1410567204576317447

Daily reporting of our COVID-19 vaccination figures has been restored following the cyber attack.

Good to see that as of Tuesday almost 2/3 of adults have had at least one dose, more than 2/5 fully vaccinated.

The HUB has yet to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

corkie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1410567204576317447

Daily reporting of our COVID-19 vaccination figures has been restored following the cyber attack.

Good to see that as of Tuesday almost 2/3 of adults have had at least one dose, more than 2/5 fully vaccinated.

The HUB has yet to be updated.

15% below the 80% target they set themselves by the end of June

• Advertisement

Can I ask and apologies if this has been answered but i just read that J&J will now be given to 18-29 age group and not a mention of the 30-24 group. Is there any update on this?

It was a proposal by Alan Kelly to do that. I'd imagine the reasoning behind suggesting 18-29 specifically is that 30-34 is imminent via the vaccine portal, due to large incoming deliveries from Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

15% below the 80% target they set themselves by the end of June

That target was based on the assumption that AstraZeneca and J&J would deliver what they promised, which they didn't.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1410561200551833602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1410561200551833602%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2021%2F0701%2F1232408-covid-blog%2F

It is ridiculous how long we take to do things in this country. Leo there saying the HSE has to consider if we have enough stock etc to open the Janssen vaccine for all ages in pharmacies and that they need a few days. Why?

Give them all of the outstanding stock, let pharmacies make up waiting lists on a first come first served basis and get those doses which are currently sitting on pharmacy shelves into arms. If a pharmacy runs out of stock, that's great news, it means they used up a lot of doses which are currently going unused. The people who miss out on one from that pharmacy would be in no different of a scenario than they are right now ie. waiting on the portal to open for their age group.

As soon as NIAC gave the advice, pharmacies should have been instructed to start administering the following morning, as they see fit and appropriate. If the situation is as grim and stark as NPHET are emphasising, then gov should be doing everything in their power to get every single dose we have into arms as quickly as possible, as every extra vaccinated person hinders the ability for delta to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Stark wrote: »
    That target was based on the assumption that AstraZeneca and J&J would deliver what they promised, which they didn't.

Correct. No failure on the part of the Irish health service. Just unfortunate that the blood clotting issue slowed the use of AZ and J&J in under 50s (now set to change it seems) and that Curevac, still seen as a realistic prospect when that 80% target was originally set, turned out to be a bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Even without the blood clotting issue, we'd still be in a similar place to where we are with the supplies that we have. So far the vast majority of stock has been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can you go do a gym workout after the jab?
    Or should u relax for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When I got my Pfizer jab last week from the GP he said nothing strenuous for 24-48hrs. I jokingly said oh so no gym this evening and he just looked at me stern faced and said no I wouldn't recommend it

To be honest the arm was sore enough by evening so doubt I'd have even gone if he said yeah

Lucas Hood wrote: »
      Agree wih Alan Kellys sentiment but as a 32 year old i would like to be included in that. 30-34 year olds haven't been offered a jab yet.

Agreed, but I reckon the 30-34 group opening on the portal is imminent (potentially early next week) and that's why he specifically referenced 18-29, who will still have quite some time to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just got first dose of Pfizer from GP, seriously efficient, 2 nurses giving the jabs in and out in 20 mins!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Cork2021 wrote: »
      Just got first dose of Pfizer from GP, seriously efficient, 2 nurses giving the jabs in and out in 20 mins!

Mine 2nd was faster. My appointment for 2nd dose (with GP) was scheduled for 2.30pm. I was standing outside at 2.20. At 2.25 I was invited in, given my card already filled out (as my GP didn't issue them after 1st dose), sat down and was done. I was walking out at 2.30pm - 5 minutes! That included 2 mins chat about another issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Don't forget the panadol :D delighted for you Cork2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funnydoggy wrote: »

Haha thanks, don’t worry yeah got another 2 of them alarmed for 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Depends on the individual.
      I played what turned out to be a fairly tough hour of astro the day after my 2nd Pfizer because I felt ok at the time.
      Still alive 2 days later and have all bars on the 5G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

josip wrote: »
      I'd assume some of them either died or weakened to a point where it was medically inadvisable to give them a 2nd vaccine dose.
      Probably wouldn't account for all 5000 though.

Some would also be people admitted for the first time in the interim, that would be hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Think it would make sense to use Curevac in younger populations based on those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

rm212 wrote: »
      It is ridiculous how long we take to do things in this country. Leo there saying the HSE has to consider if we have enough stock etc to open the Janssen vaccine for all ages in pharmacies and that they need a few days. Why?

I agree that it is ridiculous but I would say that it is the irish population requesting it indirectly. There is a higher sense of social justice in this country, a feeling that even during a pandemic everything should be fair and that we should not give a vaccine to anyone if we are not 100% sure that anyone else more more vulnerable is vaccinated.

Just have a look at this forum. In other threads you can see people whining because they are 42 and that they know someone who is 38 that got a dose before them. You see people being guilted because they registered 2days before their date. You can see people in their 60s who got a free vaccine before any other age group complaining because they got AZ and that they will be fully vaccinated after other age groups, because of the nature of AZ.

My opinion is that after the so-called vulnerable people the vaccine should have been opened to everyone. A vaccine in the arm of a 24years old is better than a vaccine in its package, because it was meant for a 42years old who rescheduled 3 times their appointment because they can't make it.

If they open to an age cohort and not another one, you would see a lot of opposition from other age cohorts that feel entitled to get it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

funnydoggy wrote: »
      Haha thanks, don’t worry yeah got another 2 of them alarmed for 3.30.

Ha you wusses do ye need a nurse to come in and wipe your foreheads? :D:D :pac: :P

• Advertisement

Think it would make sense to use Curevac in younger populations based on those results.

If they have significant quantities available soon, maybe. Otherwise their manufacturing capacity should be re-jigged to one of the other ones.

Advertisement