Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

Got my (23) first Pfizer a few minutes ago. My GP was taking names for cancellations and being someone WFH I was in a position to drop my work and be there in 10 minutes. Feeling very grateful to my GP for running such a brilliant set up

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

What has that got to do with the issues surrounding NPHET's latest modelling and the vaccine rollout? It's a very simplistic analogy I gotta say, and the "sandbox" you refer to is a rapidly-shrinking thing. Also I think it's disingenuous to talk about elimination of cases/strains as the vaccines' successful endpoint is the avoidance of hospitalisation and death.

Reducing transmission and symptomatic cases is an additional bonus if you will. some informed commentators also believe on available evidence, the Mac n Chise tweeter, that e.g. the mRNA vaccine induced immunity is so effective that the virus would no longer be able to readily bind with huACE2 receptors if it were to escape vaccine-induced immunity (in effect that would make the "variant fear" basically moot).

"the "sandbox" you refer to is a rapidly-shrinking"

10.9% of the world's population fully vaccinated, 18 months in.
    That's not rapid given that new successful mutations come every couple of months.

"Also I think it's disingenuous to talk about elimination of cases/strains as the vaccines' successful endpoint is the avoidance of hospitalisation and death."

The good results we achieve in Ireland must be matched globally for our own good results to stick. 89.1% unvaccinated ppl globally means this is nowhere near over. If you think this is disingenuous to say, it's OK with me. I hope you're right for everybody's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

xboxdad wrote: »
    "the "sandbox" you refer to is a rapidly-shrinking"

10.9% of the world's population fully vaccinated, 18 months in.
    That's not rapid given that new successful mutations come every couple of months.

"Also I think it's disingenuous to talk about elimination of cases/strains as the vaccines' successful endpoint is the avoidance of hospitalisation and death."

The good results we achieve in Ireland must be matched globally for our own good results to stick. 89.1% unvaccinated ppl globally means this is nowhere near over. If you think this is disingenuous to say, it's OK with me. I hope you're right for everybody's sake.

This is disingenuous.
    Vaccine rollout is not linear which makes your association of "18 months", with the percentages, invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Eod100 wrote: »
    Good to see about 30-34s. Seemed a bit of anecdotal evidence of people that age if not younger getting vaccines through GP already so guess as age cohorts go down there's more chance of that

How come GPs are still vaccinating? I didn't think they had any role in the age group based roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    We should have an announcement fairly quickly then. They know full well the urgency of the situation.
    It was always going to be at least a week anyway, to get everything set up properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

duffman13 wrote: »
    No 15 minutes observation time? Usually compulsory after vaccination in the event of a reaction

GP said just hang around nearby, so I was out of their building and car park away from others coming in, and stood by my car 100m away for 10 minutes.

Skygord wrote: »

I 'think' I recall seeing that they've already made 100M doses in advance of approval, all for EU.

Assuming EMA give approval quickly, and they are suitable for younger people which the data suggests, could that mean 1M doses coming here soon, like July????

Guardian blog....
    13:36
    CureVac is to pursue European approval for its coronavirus vaccine candidate, despite disappointing overall efficacy results.

It announced preliminary data on 16 June from a 40,000-person trial, which showed that its two-dose vaccine was just 47% effective at preventing disease. But it argues that final analysis of its late-stage trial shows 53% protection against mild disease, 77% protection against severe disease and full protection against hospitalisation and death, the Financial Times reported.

The company said that the higher efficacy against severe disease meant it still had a pathway for approval from the European Medicines Agency.

“In this final analysis, CVnCoV demonstrates a strong public health value in fully protecting study participants in the age group of 18 to 60 against hospitalisation and death and 77% against moderate and severe disease – an efficacy profile, which we believe will be an important contribution to help manage the Covid-19 pandemic and the dynamic variant spread,” Franz-Werner Haas, chief executive, said.

The FT said that CureVac has argued that performance of its mRNA vaccine, which it is producing with the pharmaceutical giant Bayer, was lower because it dealt with 15 different virus variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I 'think' I recall seeing that they've already made 100M doses in advance of approval, all for EU.

Assuming EMA give approval quickly, and they are suitable for younger people which the data suggests, could that mean 1M doses coming here soon, like July????

Someone did report that here. It is total BS. Curevac weren't going to have significant volumes until Q4. The 'stockpile' was about 5m-10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Guardian blog....

Efficacy might make people fussy but TBH it'll still do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

is_that_so wrote: »
    Efficacy might make people fussy but TBH it'll still do the trick.
    It still exceeds the WHO threshold of 50% in that age group. It's not like if they had any sort of stockpile, that they would dump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Weekly report from Pubic Health England
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-surveillance-report

Good news generally.
    AZ is 94% effective at reducing deaths in over 65s.

Interestingly, one dose of Moderna is slightly better than Pfizer in under 40s, so good for those who got Moderna recently, but makes it more regrettable that the Irish government missed out on additional Moderna.

On Curevac, it might be useful for people who already had Covid or as a booster shot for someone who already received another vaccine and a good use of any capacity.

eoinbn wrote: »
    Someone did report that here.

I think it was me.

This says there's 'some' finished stick, but not 100M

https://nuernberger-blatt.de/2021/04/tuebinger-oberbuergermeister-palmer-fordert-notfallzulassung-fuer-curevac-impfstoff-99407/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Good news generally.

Interestingly, one dose of Moderna is slightly better than Pfizer in under 40s, so good for those who got Moderna recently, but makes it more regrettable that the Irish government missed out on additional Moderna.

On Curevac, it might be useful for people who already had Covid or as a booster shot for someone who already received another vaccine and a good use of any capacity.

The CI on moderna are quite hight though.
    I think moderna also had a slightly higher efficacy on vanilla covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The CI on moderna are quite hight though.
    I think moderna also had a slightly higher efficacy on vanilla covid.

While reactions aren't life threatening and are somewhat rare, some very nasty skin reactions with Moderna.
    So much so that " Moderna arm" is part of the ER vocabulary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That PHE report is tremendous.
    My favourite point from it:
    "PHE estimates to 13 June 2021 based on the direct effect of vaccination and vaccine coverage rates, are that around 44,500 hospitalisations have been prevented in those aged 65 years and over in England (approximately 6,000 admissions in those aged 65 to 74, 17,200 in those aged 75 to 84, and 21,300 in those aged 85 and over) as a result of the vaccination programme (Figure 5). There is increasing evidence that vaccines prevent infection and transmission. The indirect effects of the vaccination programme will not be incorporated in this analysis, therefore the figure of 44,500 hospitalisations averted is likely to be an underestimate."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Good news generally.

Some good stuff in there
    Almost 15% of population with antibodies from infection

Vaccine effectiveness weaker at preventing symptomatic disease in Delta than Alpha (79%v89%)

Vaccine more effective in preventing hospitalisations with Delta over Alpha (96%v93%)

The UK dont have as good vaccine uptake in the older age demographics as we do (Only a small 2-3% diff generally)

Significant drop off in hospitalisations in over 65s

27,200 fewer deaths due to vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

"PHE estimates to 13 June 2021 based on the direct effect of vaccination and vaccine coverage rates, are that around 44,500 hospitalisations have been prevented in those aged 65 years and over in England (approximately 6,000 admissions in those aged 65 to 74, 17,200 in those aged 75 to 84, and 21,300 in those aged 85 and over) as a result of the vaccination programme (Figure 5). There is increasing evidence that vaccines prevent infection and transmission. The indirect effects of the vaccination programme will not be incorporated in this analysis, therefore the figure of 44,500 hospitalisations averted is likely to be an underestimate."

Just getting some glimpses of what’s being said at the NPHET press conference but they haven’t even mentioned this yet but are doubling down on Israel being a case where delta is spreading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Must you have a UK address to avail of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Now that's how you run a model! :D

What is DCC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

duffman13 wrote: »

Vaccine more effective in preventing hospitalisations with Delta over Alpha (96%v93%)

Could this possibly arise if the reality is that the delta variant actually results in lower hospitalisations anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

ddarcy wrote: »
    My girlfriend got rung by 01 511 9755. They said they were HSE. She rang the 1850 number and they confirmed it was HSE and had that department ring back. It was something to do with her registration. All calls came from that number

HSE told me it's not their number... :confused: They asked me to report all suspicious calls asking for personal or banking details in relation to the vaccinations to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is DCC?

Digital Covid Certificate.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Lumen wrote: »
    Digital Covid Certificate.

Ah yes, I see - I was thinking of the vaccine as protection rather than for travel. Thanks.

Could this possibly arise if the reality is that the delta variant actually results in lower hospitalisations anyway?

Possibly alright, wouldn't be the first instance of something becoming more transmissible but less serious. It's the kind of variant that is hoped for to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Any clue why they are not giving appointment for first dose even after 45 days after registration? Everyday I call, and they say that they are escalating it and then nothing happens. A week back, someone called and said they are looking in to the list of people who are waiting for more than 30 days. And nothing happens. What kind of management is this? Does anybody know how to use computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently they are working on a plan to vaccinate the under 35s with J & J through pharmacies in the next month. It's thought there could be as many as 180,000 doses available by the end of July (Irish Times).

niamh247 wrote: »
    Any clue why they are not giving appointment for first dose even after 45 days after registration? Everyday I call, and they say that they are escalating it and then nothing happens. A week back, someone called and said they are looking in to the list of people who are waiting for more than 30 days. And nothing happens. What kind of management is this? Does anybody know how to use computers?

Contact a local representative or ask to speak to a supervisor! That's a shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,437 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lets hope it will be easy to register and get it done from a Pharmacy while also getting the one shot J&J which would be great

So if you register through the HSE portal you wont get the J&J ?

Advertisement