Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ruppy92

Refreshing the boots website, it's like I'm in the ticketmaster queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Registered with my local pharmacy in kinsale for j&j, there, pharmacy was very aware.

32 yrs old, clinic next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Mammy rang boots (though I told her online is best):

"I got through to south douglas rd and she told me they cant take appointments yet because they dont know how much stock their getting until later on"

O Sullivan's pharmacy told me the same thing a minute ago when I rang them.

Yeah I think they'll probably get clarity over the weekend on deliveries etc with a view to opening up registrations from Monday based on the tweet from Prof MacCraith. Then they'll know how many they can cater for.

Either way they've got a decent stock of J&J available so they should be able to roll it out fairly sharpish next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

You'll need to register with a pharmacy

And none seem to know what is actually happening. They are left a bit in the dark on this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Potis 2020

Lumen wrote: »
    The miniscule risk from side effects is now outweighed by the larger risk from COVID infection.

I already had Covid in February but in general I take your point. I suppose I just don't like the prospect of feeling i'm being 'forced' to take a particular vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can someone tell me the efficacy of J&J? Particularly against Delta. It seems there's no research at all on this one. Seems really off that younger people can only avail of the two vaccines that weren't safe for them up to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

airy fairy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the efficacy of J&J? Particularly against Delta. It seems there's no research at all on this one. Seems really off that younger people can only avail of the two vaccines that weren't safe for them up to yesterday.

Works well against it, data just came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mr.S wrote: »
    Boots website back up.

Age band hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yesterday I booked boots for 2 weeks time. My friend booked for Wednesday at the same time. Late last night they cancelled his appointment but mine remains. What's it all about??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Age band hasn't changed.

Ignore what it says about age, it'll accept your date of birth anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Boots website back up.

Link for the J&J Vaccine is just bringing me to a blank page.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Rang my local pharmacy and they've taken both me and my sister's names. I'd say they've been inundated with calls this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

shawki wrote: »
    Link for the J&J Vaccine is just bringing me to a blank page.

The website's under a fair bit of pressure I'd say, I'm stuck in a virtual queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

They'll have to balance the risk, however tiny, of taking J&J/AZ now, or waiting a month or two for their turn in the mRNA rollout.

No real idea on the efficacy of J&J, but it seemed to perform fairly well against variants in the trials, IIRC around 60+% Vs symptomatic and 100% against hospitalisation/death. Something like that anyway. I'd have no hesitation taking it tbh. If we need boosters next year they'll be Pfizer anyway so you could end up with very good protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is incorrect. They can still wait their turn for an MRNA vaccine (BioNtech-Pfizer/Moderna)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Has anyone registered with boots today even though it still says over 50s? im 33

Works well against it, data just came out.

Have you a link?
    I'm concerned that if there's a booster needed and all new info again getting rmna....or better waiting for Pfizer til mid August.
    Better the devil you know and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ruppy92

Blank Janssen booking page on Boots for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

The website's under a fair bit of pressure I'd say, I'm stuck in a virtual queue.

I queued and I am now navigating the site with no issues. The J&J page will load the top and bottom sections of the boots website but the the middle part is blank on the J&J page.

But that's not true, you can register on the portal for an mRNA once your turn comes. And you'll get one quicker than you otherwise would have, because plenty of people in your age group will opt for J&J.

You're getting a level of choice that older cohorts didn't have, that's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Boots website still says 50+ but I booked in for Dublin anyway, earliest date I could see for around me was July 16th. Lots of stores had no dates.

When i click the link it takes me to a blank Boots page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I just get the normal boots.ie page, I see nothing about vaccines. Is there a specific link? I just went to boots.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Offered and refused Pfizer-BioNTech 6 times as I will only accept a viral vector vaccine. Age 47- so living in a grey area where you have to be over 50 or under 40 to receive a preferred vaccine. Just pressed’ stop vaccination process’.
    Can’t I understand why they don’t just use excess supplies to operate a walk in vax centre for anyone who’s willing.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I just get the normal boots.ie page, I see nothing about vaccines. Is there a specific link? I just went to boots.ie

I had the same problem, I just googled boots COVID vaccine and found it that way.

Have you a link?
    I'm concerned that if there's a booster needed and all new info again getting rmna....or better waiting for Pfizer til mid August.
    Better the devil you know and all that.

Taken from Hmmm's post on the other vaccine thread, couldn't figure out how to drop the full post in.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1410795398776639493

Flying Fox wrote: »
    But that's not true, you can register on the portal for an mRNA once your turn comes. And you'll get one quicker than you otherwise would have, because plenty of people in your age group will opt for J&J.

You're getting a level of choice that older cohorts didn't have, that's a good thing.

Right now, my kid is being offered 2 vaccines. Both were not 'safe' or approved for his age group yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Boots website still says 50+ but I booked in for Dublin anyway, earliest date I could see for around me was July 16th. Lots of stores had no dates.

They more than likely won't have confirmed supply to them yet.

Honestly for most people I'd wait until Monday, give them the weekend to get everything confirmed, it was only announced this morning and it looks like pharmacy's haven't had sight of expected supply yet.

Right now, my kid is being offered 2 vaccines. Both were not 'safe' or approved for his age group yesterday.

Because the risk profile of harm from covid Vs harm from vaccine has changed from when the original decision was made.
    If its a one in a million risk from the vaccine, its still a one in a million risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Boots vaccination is open to all age groups

Advertisement