Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork boots stores are all fully booked it seems. Can't find an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

I booked a Boots in Cork for J&J, 21st July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

McCabes pharmacy have it changed to over 18

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Cork boots stores are all fully booked it seems. Can't find an appointment

As I said in another post I don't think they've had line of sight on supply yet to be honest, first most heard about it was this morning.

I'd give it the weekend to be honest and I'm sure once everything is confirmed to pharmacy's that they'll update with more slots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

airy fairy wrote: »
    Right now, my kid is being offered 2 vaccines. Both were not 'safe' or approved for his age group yesterday.

Nothing is 100% safe, including crossing the road. Some things are 99.9% safe and we accept that risk to go about our lives normally.

Your kid will have to evaluate the (very small) risk of taking a vaccine versus any advantages to being vacccinated, in the same way they would have to evaluate the risk of going into surgery or taking a flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Right now, my kid is being offered 2 vaccines. Both were not 'safe' or approved for his age group yesterday.

This is my understanding re change in ages for vaccines. It's not that they weren't safe. All vaccines have risks of side effects.
    They decided that the risks of side effects from the vaccine was greater than the risk of covid in younger age groups.
    Now with delta which is highly transmissible and resulting in higher numbers of younger people with serious illness from it, the risk from covid is higher than the risk for the vaccine so younger age groups now able to get it.
    It's all about balancing the risk from covid vs the risk from the vaccine as best as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

So is there to be a system to ensure that under 35s who had Covid recently don't have a one shot Johnson jab wasted on them when a one shot of the others would do them?

What am I on about. Of course there won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Cian59 wrote: »
    From ringing the pharmacies, it seems like the first they heard of this was with everyone else this morning.

Working in the industry, I can confirm this is correct. **** show trying to update forms etc. Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

As I said in another post I don't think they've had line of sight on supply yet to be honest, first most heard about it was this morning.

I'd give it the weekend to be honest and I'm sure once everything is confirmed to pharmacy's that they'll update with more slots

As I said in another post, I booked in my local pharmacy in kinsale at 9:10, no issues, booked in for Saturday July 10th

duffman13 wrote: »
    Working in the industry, I can confirm this is correct. **** show trying to update forms etc. Painful

Did you's get any sort of heads up that this was coming ??

I'm assuming they've also not confirmed expected deliveries in that case yet

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    Nothing is 100% safe, including crossing the road. Some things are 99.9% safe and we accept that risk to go about our lives normally.

Your kid will have to evaluate the (very small) risk of taking a vaccine versus any advantages to being vacccinated, in the same way they would have to evaluate the risk of going into surgery or taking a flight.

Is a young woman in perfect health at more chance of dying from Covid or dying from an AZ reaction?

Serious question.

I'm happy to get mine as I've heard of little to no adverse effects in men but if i were a woman I'd think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone have the link for boots? All i can find is the over 50 one

And if he's not comfortable with the very small risks associated with those two vaccines, he can register for an mRNA. Meanwhile the people who are comfortable with that risk and want to get vaccinated quicker can do so. What exactly is your problem here?

As I said in another post, I booked in my local pharmacy in kinsale at 9:10, no issues, booked in for Saturday July 10th

Said pharmacy probably already has some in storage and ready to go, like many, they aren't opening the vials unless they get the appointments in. Yours probably has enough already in to plan ahead, some will have limited stock or none.

There are cira 100k in HSE storage to be released and judging on the reaction this morning many will be waiting to see what their allocation is from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

This is my understanding re change in ages for vaccines. It's not that they weren't safe. All vaccines have risks of side effects.
    They decided that the risks of side effects from the vaccine was greater than the risk of covid in younger age groups.
    Now with delta which is highly transmissible and resulting in higher numbers of younger people with serious illness from it, the risk from covid is higher than the risk for the vaccine so younger age groups now able to get it.
    It's all about balancing the risk from covid vs the risk from the vaccine as best as possible

When I mean not safe, my kid is saying it wasn't good enough, but now it's ok as there's leftovers. I can see the point in the argument.
    J&J is highly effective, but can't get a percentage.
    Anyway, as he rarely goes out, doesn't party, he thinks he might wait til the portal opens in mid August for a mRNA. Less chance of needing boosters in his opinion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried to register with boots, but couldn't get a time slot anywhere that'd suit me.

Registered with my local pharmacy though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All risk is relative. Many prescription drugs are not "safe" to take. However they are relatively safer than the risk posed by the illness you're treating.

This is the same. The risk profile has changed (on a social and and individual level). The vaccines haven't gotten less risky, but covid has gotten more risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyone with link to boots please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So is there to be a system to ensure that under 35s who had Covid recently don't have a one shot Johnson jab wasted on them when a one shot of the others would do them?

What am I on about. Of course there won't be.

Of course there is, it has to be registered on a system, why do you think they take people's PPS number? Would be absolute chaos otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BrosnanL27

It's sh1te being 35-39....how long will we be waiting I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

bennyl10 wrote: »

Here you are friend

https://www.boots.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/health/covid-19/covid-vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

bennyl10 wrote: »

https://www.boots.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/health/covid-19/covid-vaccination

Best of luck getting an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Mine gets stuck when I try to press submit for the vaccine at stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

duffman13 wrote: »

as a contrast my sister works in a large chain brand of pharmacies and has been saying for weeks that from her colleagues in work that opt in for j+j has been coming down the line and that this has just sped it up by about a month on their timelines.Least with this stress you can say your helping put the last nails in the coffin of this pandemic.

Looks like a few details to be worked out over the weekend for sure.

Have heard myself of places locally (Bray) just taking names for the moment and they'll be in touch in the next few days

https://twitter.com/TooManyEmmas/status/1410889052400885760?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Non-boots Pharmacies are also available.

Probably more likely to get an appointment in one as well, most people booking online will try boots first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Did you's get any sort of heads up that this was coming ??

I'm assuming they've also not confirmed expected deliveries in that case yet

I'm just after picking up a few things from my local pharmacy, asked if they were taking names for the vaccine, they were. The woman taking my details said they only found out this morning like the rest of us so yeah I'd say it will be a while before they get details on deliveries.

She also mentioned they already have a long list so I'd advise anyone interested to give their details to their pharmacy as early as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Boots page is blank when i try and click into it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Stupid question, but the Boots website is saying to make sure I'm over 50 but yet when I enter all my details it's still giving me available appointments.

Am I able to take one of these or are these only for the over 50s?

• Advertisement

Of course there is, it has to be registered on a system, why do you think they take people's PPS number? Would be absolute chaos otherwise.

But every piece of this has been absolute chaos.

Is my positive Covid result from April tied to my PPS number? I seriously doubt it. I would have my doubts it's logged anywhere bar the text on my phone.

I fully expect to be offered a Johnson jab and have to correct them that they are wasting it on me.

Unfortunately some people who have already Covid wont bother.

Advertisement