Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thanks for the info folks, Adam D and Corkie I phoned the HSE Live line and got it sorted through there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Alan Kelly spreading misinformation.

twat
    Our politicians are a joke!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397181624287105031?s=21
    Politicising the vaccines now. A new low :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Alan Kelly spreading misinformation.

twat
    Our politicians are a joke!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397181624287105031?s=21

In fairness, his question was about the gap between the two AZ doses (he wants to see it shortened). He wasn't saying anything about the vaccine's efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

NIAC advice now published for public

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40298531.html

“Healthy people aged 40-49 years may choose to avail of an earlier Vaxzevria vaccine provided they have made an informed decision.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strazdas wrote: »
    In fairness, his question was about the gap between the two AZ doses (he wants to see it shortened). He wasn't saying anything about the vaccine's efficacy.

Well was it not shown in the trials that the longer the gap the higher the efficacy (difference between 4 and 12 weeks) I don't think it's as simple as get the second jab ASAP. I'm sure there's a sweet spot in-between, what does Alan Kelly suggest it gets shortened to?
    Shorten it and potentially it's less effective vs our dominant strain in order to protect against the Indian variant?

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Well was it not shown in the trials that the longer the gap the higher the efficacy (difference between 4 and 12 weeks) I don't think it's as simple as get the second jab ASAP. I'm sure there's a sweet spot in-between, what does Alan Kelly suggest it gets shortened to?
    Shorten it and potentially it's less effective vs our dominant strain in order to protect against the Indian variant?

Sweet spot is 8 to 12 weeks.

Per evidence in UK.

WHO currently recommends second shot between 8 and 12 weeks.

UK:

10 week gap for under 50.

8 week gap for over 50.

Ireland:

Procastination :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wolf359f wrote: »

In any event, the minister replied they have no intention of changing how AZ is rolled out for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

revelman wrote: »
    NIAC advice now published for public

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40298531.html

“Healthy people aged 40-49 years may choose to avail of an earlier Vaxzevria vaccine provided they have made an informed decision.”

But they also say all four vaccines are fine for all adults.

Bizarrely incompetent communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Woody79 wrote: »
    Ireland:

Procastination :eek:

Fáilte Ireland's new strapline right there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Fiancee got her second Pfizer today

great to be done

I get mine next monday...yo might advise of any side effects so I can be prepared ;)

• Advertisement

UAE begins Vaccine Tourism, starting with opening it to Chinese visitors

Chinese tourists first non-residents to be offered Covid-19 vaccine in UAE

https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/health/chinese-tourists-first-non-residents-to-be-offered-covid-19-vaccine-in-uae-1.1228313

I find this a bit strange as they're only offering Sinopharm to them and China are set to start inoculating 20 million a day

So, maybe just a PR stunt by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

‘Short planned closures’ at number of vaccination centres in Cork

There will be ‘short planned closures’ at a number of Covid-19 vaccination centres in Cork this week.

No vaccinations will be provided at the Páirc Uí Chaoimh vaccination centre on Friday or Saturday, or at the City Hall or Mallow centres on Thursday.

“Given the constant pressures on staff not just in the last few months, but since the pandemic began, this week gives us an opportunity to give staff in some centres a much-needed break. It also allows us to begin scheduling the second doses of Astra Zeneca currently due. Some of these vaccinations for healthcare workers will take place at centres, but others will take place in healthcare settings,” the spokesperson said.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40298492.html?fbclid=IwAR3muvJycYVjtBtxPmqRfr2qanT-Xpi_5SEIxMVyeZWH6u0hlOEaVQP-M38

I'd prefer if the centres could have kept going but great to give the staff a break

They'll be needed to go full throttle until the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Zipppy wrote: »
    I get mine next monday...yo might advise of any side effects so I can be prepared ;)

Will do

United Airlines announced on Monday that it is giving travelers a chance to win a year of free flights to anywhere in the world it flies in exchange for getting vaccinated against COVID-19.

As part of United's “Your Shot to Fly” sweepstakes, frequent fliers in the airline's MileagePlus program can upload their vaccination records to a mobile app or website until June 22.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/555042-united-airlines-offering-free-travel-for-a-year-to-promote-vaccinations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

"No vaccinations will be provided at the Páirc Uí Chaoimh vaccination centre on Friday or Saturday, or at the City Hall or Mallow centres on Thursday.

Vaccinations for people in their 50s in Cork, who registered online to receive the vaccine, will be ‘substantially’ completed by the middle of this week, the spokesperson confirmed, and vaccination of people aged in their 40s has commenced."

I'm 50 (51 end of next month) yet to get an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Sure beats our bonus of being of being able to meet up with people from one other household who are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

mikeorange wrote: »
    Any word when they are going to drop the 2 week isolation for fully vaccinated that have been exposed to Covid?

Surely they have to drop that soon when restrictions are lowered

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html#vaccinated

If you are a close contact and you have received a COVID-19 vaccine
    You do not need to restrict your movements or be tested for COVID-19 if it is more than:

7 days after your 2nd Pfizer-BioNTech dose
    14 days after your 2nd Moderna dose
    14 days after the Janssen vaccine
    28 days after your 1st AstraZeneca dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

When can a healthy 30 year old expect a vaccine? End of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

John Campbell UK, believes women should get pfzier and men get AZ based on rare side effects. Convincing arguments when you listen to his recent video on youtube. Men more likely than to get Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) with pfzier. Women more likely to get blod clots in brain with AZ. I agree. I got AZ and am hoping wife gets pfzier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pr9yG7CMbY

Strange. A link has been found between AstraZeneca and blood clots. No link has been found between Pfizer and myocarditis. A load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

300 no shows yesterday in the Helix. What happens to those vaccines?

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Strange. A link has been found between AstraZeneca and blood clots. No link has been found between Pfizer and myocarditis. A load of rubbish.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210524/cdc-post-covid-vaccine-heart-inflammation

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-in-the-news-heart-inflammation-vaccine-effectiveness-and-more/

All vaccines have side effects.

Blood clots and mycarditis happen in covid infected populations.

Not really a surprise, in a rare vaccine recipients.

Re: your no link. There is no link until there is one.

Same as AZ a few weeks back.

I'd happily take either, but can see parents more hesitant giving pfzier/modernas to their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭robinbird

‘Short planned closures’ at number of vaccination centres in Cork

There will be ‘short planned closures’ at a number of Covid-19 vaccination centres in Cork this week.

No vaccinations will be provided at the Páirc Uí Chaoimh vaccination centre on Friday or Saturday, or at the City Hall or Mallow centres on Thursday.

Vaccinations for people in their 50s in Cork will be ‘substantially’ completed by the middle of this week.This is a fantastic achievement.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40298492.html?fbclid=IwAR3muvJycYVjtBtxPmqRfr2qanT-Xpi_5SEIxMVyeZWH6u0hlOEaVQP-M38

Strange decision to shut down centres at this time. When The HSE stopping providing stats on 11th May we were not doing well. We were last in western europe with same per capita deliveries with large numbers of vaccines in storage.
    I suspect we are still last which is why the data is still not being released. It would be interesting to see how much they have in storage now.

An while other countries have opened up and and are offering incentives to people to get vaccinated or are on over 30s like in UK we are still largely locked down and congratulating ourselves on the fantastic achievement of nearly finishing the over 50s.
    Maybe they could have held off for a few weeks on closing centres and giving temporary staff holidays.

robinbird wrote: »
    Strange decision to shut down centres at this time. When The HSE stopping providing stats on 11th May we were not doing well. We were last in western europe with same per capita deliveries with large numbers of vaccines in storage.
    I suspect we are still last which is why the data is still not being released. It would be interesting to see how much they have in storage now.

An while other countries have opened up and and are offering incentives to people to get vaccinated or are on over 30s like in UK we are still largely locked down and congratulating ourselves on the fantastic achievement of nearly finishing the over 50s.
    Maybe they could have held off for a few weeks on closing centres and giving temporary staff holidays.

Cork seems to well ahead of other centres (age wise), maybe its a strategy of trying to keeping all areas of the country at the same coverage and not say have 40 year olds vaccinated in Cork while 60 year olds in Louth wait for vaccine. Just a thought.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html#vaccinated

If you are a close contact and you have received a COVID-19 vaccine
    You do not need to restrict your movements or be tested for COVID-19 if it is more than:

7 days after your 2nd Pfizer-BioNTech dose
    14 days after your 2nd Moderna dose
    14 days after the Janssen vaccine
    28 days after your 1st AstraZeneca dose

Is that wise you can still have outbreaks amoungst the vaccinated as we've seen demonstrated? Wouldn't an abundance of caution approach be to test them anyway, maybe drop the 14 day isolation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭robinbird

Woody79 wrote: »
    Cork seems to well ahead of other centres (age wise), maybe its a strategy of trying to keeping all areas of the country at the same coverage and not say have 40 year olds vaccinated in Cork while 60 year olds in Louth wait for vaccine. Just a thought.

Perhaps. But there are still 50s in Cork waiting on appointments and they have a large number of 45-49 yrs olds left. And if they are a bit ahead perhaps resources should have been used to help other areas catch up rather than having Cork hit Pause. This self congratulatory tone of doing a fantastic job grates a bit as we are clearly not if compared to other EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Is that wise you can still have outbreaks amoungst the vaccinated as we've seen demonstrated? Wouldn't an abundance of caution approach be to test them anyway, maybe drop the 14 day isolation etc.

Well the experts have said this Is the case so this is the case. No point to ask me if its wise. Vaccines work. There's breakthrough cases of disease from all vaccines all the time. But vaccinated people aren't asked to isolate on those cases either. The pandemic is done.

Well the experts have said this Is the case so this is the case. No point to ask me if its wise. Vaccines work. There's breakthrough cases of disease from all vaccines all the time. But vaccinated people aren't asked to isolate on those cases either. The pandemic is done.

Pfizer never stated it eliminates transmission they're own data submitted to the FDA said "Among 3410 total cases of suspected but unconfirmed COVID-19 in the overall study
    population, 1594 occurred in the vaccine group vs. 1816 in the placebo group. Suspected, COVID-19 cases that occurred within 7 days after any vaccination were 409 in the vaccine
    group vs. 287 in the placebo group".
    If the HSE experts say it's no longer worth testing the vaccinated as close contacts it certainly is done or a possible catastrophic mistake.
    That data is from December 2020 so wouldn't have reflected the transmission rates of the UK and Indian variants.(page 42 paragraph 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Got my vaccine on Monday afternoon. Jensen single shot.
    I was fine all evening, then woke up with a banging headache at 4AM, and didn't really sleep after that. Took paracetamol 2HRs before the shot, 2HRs after and just before bed. Took them when I woke up too. They do help.
    Almost 40HRs later and I have a "fuzzy" head, but no headache. Never had any kind of fever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pfizer never stated it eliminates transmission they're own data submitted to the FDA said "Among 3410 total cases of suspected but unconfirmed COVID-19 in the overall study
    population, 1594 occurred in the vaccine group vs. 1816 in the placebo group. Suspected, COVID-19 cases that occurred within 7 days after any vaccination were 409 in the vaccine
    group vs. 287 in the placebo group".
    If the HSE experts say it's no longer worth testing the vaccinated as close contacts it certainly is done or a possible catastrophic mistake.
    That data is from December 2020 so wouldn't have reflected the transmission rates of the UK and Indian variants.(page 42 paragraph 2).

You have stepped into a snippet of detail in the wrong context.

The timelines quoted above are where each vaccine reaches full effectiveness. For the MRNA vaccines that means the close contact has a ~95% chance of not contracting covid 19. There is no public health basis for testing and isolating people who only have a ~5% chance of suffering a breakthrough infection. Particularly when breakthrough infections are more likely to be cases of incredibly mild / asymptomatic disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Daughter is in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    They started out vaccinations after us, had supply issues, slow start.

Now...daughter 26 getting her vaccine today.
    BC just announced phased relaxation of all restrictions over next 3 months..incl masks gone in Sept.
    They used very little AZ (dont anymore) and had no J&J.
    They were using a 16 week gap for vaccine doses, now reducing to 50 days I gather..
    I think we must have taken a wrong turn in the road.

Advertisement