Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I despair, here we are going into a 4th wave with this India Varient, when are we going to get serious about this Pandemic. You can forgive the 1st wave and maybe the second but the Govt could have done more to stop the 3rd and 4th wave. While most of use were staying in and following rules people were flying in and out of this country willy nilly and afaics it is still happenning. We are an Island, how can it be so hard to keep varients we know about that originated abroad out of the country.
    While you're despairing you might want to reflect on how other people are not obliged to act and think like you.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I went through my list and saw I booked 4, but said I'd stop as it's not fair.

If you want to be fair, cancel 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

They shouldn't put an age on it. Should be anyone over 18. I'd gladly take the j&j next week if I could and just be done with the whole thing. But I already got my first shot of Pfizer last week.

I have only 5 days to go until my second dose of Pfizer already, I'm in my early thirties but got it earlier it due to being in cohort 7. There will be stampede for the J&J vaccine and I think it is ridiculous since it only has a 66% efficiency, like everything else in Ireland we do it half-assed, one third of the J&J lads may as well have taken nothing and covid will still be around a long time with such an ineffective vaccine. The Govt should have dropped AZ and J&J a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I wonder if you walked door to door pharmacies in Dublin CC would you be sorted Monday

I think stephenjmcd is right in terms of them trying to get some stuff sorted given the short notice. Best try again Monday maybe but keep registering in other pharmacies like me! I've registered with at least 4 now (29). Gonna stop though in all fairness.

EDIT: Just saw Stephen's post above -- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117568833&postcount=4525
    Not really inclined to judge how people have dealt with this but this is poor form to suggest this. You're exploiting small systems that can't track this in ways that the portal would never let you and J&J will be limited anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

theguzman wrote: »
    I have only 5 days to go until my second dose of Pfizer already, I'm in my early thirties but got it earlier it due to being in cohort 7. There will be stampede for the J&J vaccine and I think it is ridiculous since it only has a 66% efficiency, like everything else in Ireland we do it half-assed, one third of the J&J lads may as well have taken nothing and covid will still be around a long time with such an ineffective vaccine. The Govt should have dropped AZ and J&J a long time ago.

We’ll still get to heard immunity at 66% including the other vaccines you plum, most vaccines in the world for other diseases are only this effective

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I disagree, they should be rolled out and a heterologous booster should be scheduled. Abandoning them would be to abandon any effectiveness they produce. There is not an immediate surplus of Pfizer or MOderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If there's only 66% efficacy, would it be better the younger people get it? They are better at fighting off the infection if they catch it. I don't know, that's my thinking anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Both are effective against all variants so will be used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really inclined to judge how people have dealt with this but this is poor form to suggest this. You're exploiting small systems that can't track this in ways that the portal would never let you and J&J will be limited anyway.

It's just registrations of interest rather than bookings. It'd be different making bookings and not showing up or something.

Can't see most of the pharmacies having enough stock anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Walked up to my local boots this morning at 9.30 and the staff behind the till didn't have much of a clue what way it was going to work, they said they had not received any HSE guidelines yet so weren't taking names which is fair enough.

Then went to another chemist nearby and they took my name and contact details in a book and said I should hear from them in the next two weeks regarding an appointment.

Happy with that considering I didn't expect to be getting a vaccine until mid August probably. Are all of these pharmacy based ones going to be a one shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine?

That's a ridiculous thing to say.

The trails showed 66% efficacy against mild infection, but 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death. Which is the whole point!

Spreading this kind of ill-informed nonsense is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Mr.S wrote: »
    205k doses of Janssen due here in July, and 285k in August, they'll fly through the younger groups.

That's great to hear. More people vaccinated and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

40 and no text yet, rang HSE this morn and just told to be patient.. many more at this age range waiting on a text?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

Flying Fox wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous thing to say.

The trails showed 66% efficacy against mild infection, but 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death. Which is the whole point!

Spreading this kind of ill-informed nonsense is dangerous.

Not to mention that 66% efficacy doesn't mean that one third of people who have it may well have had nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

irishlad. wrote: »

Thanks, I missed it!

A bit disappointed in the cohort 7 numbers, is the cohort size wrong? I would assume by now 99% of people there would be vaccinated, from what the gov said plus stories of GPs vaccinating almost everyone now.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Apart from Boots, all they are doing is registering interest, they aren't taking up doses or someones space. If contacted and they are already vaxed, it will go to the next person - the demand is 100% there that it won't go to waste.
    It's still not the type of behaviour we should be encouraging. It also adds completely unnecessary administration to very small operations. Pick one and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Got in but there are no times available in any of the Galway stores :(
    Or Castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Question - if someone is are a close contact and is on restricted movement, do you need to postpone your Vaccine appointment?

minty81 wrote: »
    40 and no text yet, rang HSE this morn and just told to be patient.. many more at this age range waiting on a text?
    This happened with the 50s as well. There's a rush on second dose AZ at present, which should begin to ease off soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JP100 wrote: »
    Mother of God!

I went back to my list and to be fair, two pharmacies I contacted were the same branch, a 5 minute walk away. I'd be one vaccine patient between the two.

I realised I was being a bit.. eager, so I stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I went back to my list and to be fair, two pharmacies I contacted were the same branch, a 5 minute walk away. I'd be one vaccine patient between the two.

I realised I was being a bit.. eager, so I stopped!

If our issue is overeagerness we are in a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

For all of those booking appointments on the boots website, are they just clicking the link and pretending to be over 50? I can't seem to see an option anywhere for people in the 18-35 bracket. Went through the over 50s one and it said at multiple points this is for over 50s only so didn't bother booking an appointment only for it to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Got myself and the wife's name on the local pharmacy list. Hopefully won't be too long waiting now. Late 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

For all of those booking appointments on the boots website, are they just clicking the link and pretending to be over 50? I can't seem to see an option anywhere for people in the 18-35 bracket. Went through the over 50s one and it said at multiple points this is for over 50s only so didn't bother booking an appointment only for it to be cancelled.

It asks your age and you can just put in your actual date of birth then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Most high profile case of the questionnaire cancelling appointments, HSE should fix this ASAP.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1410883338164969473

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

I rang them up and they said they have to update it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

125,000 doses given Wednesday-Thursday. Phenomenal effort.

Advertisement