Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sounds like it. Probably ideally shop around, as one pharmacist on the radio said 200 people rang and joined her waiting list only this morning.

It already looks like the government underestimated the level of interest in this. They thought that interest would be 'decent' but that many young people would hold out for Pfizer or Moderna in a few weeks time. Seems they were wrong : demand for the J & J through pharmacies seems absolutely huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Strazdas wrote: »
    It already looks like the government underestimated the level of interest in this. They thought that interest would be 'decent' but that many young people would hold out for Pfizer or Moderna in a few weeks time. Seems they were wrong : demand for the J & J through pharmacies seems absolutely huge.

Just drove past a small medical centre/practice type place in my local town, and saw about 100 or so people in a queue to go in... never seen anything like it before... they all looked fairly young-ish...

Seems like the 18-34 year olds are quite keen.

I'd expect vaccination numbers to take a huge jump in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

people just want to go back to normal. I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

It might have something to do with their recent announcement that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed to eat indoors…..

They set themselves up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Group chats are buzzing all morning, there’s gonna be massive uptake of these vaccines.

• Advertisement

Just drove past a small medical centre/practice type place in my local town, and saw about 100 or so people in a queue to go in... never seen anything like it before... they all looked fairly young-ish...

Seems like the 18-34 year olds are quite keen.

I'd expect vaccination numbers to take a huge jump in the coming days

It's almost a pity we can't source J & J from somewhere else. I'd say the pharmacies will be absolutely hopping with vaccine appointments for the next couple of weeks, it will be flying off the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm guessing the Boots online registration portal is down? I've been trying since this morning to get a time slot in about 20 different Boots locations and there is none available in any location for the whole month of July.

The 18-34 y-o's who take this Johnson vaccine will still get an mRNA vaccine later this year, said the Minister on the News at One. It's just a stopgap, so no reason at all not to take it.

Leinster90 wrote: »
    It might have something to do with their recent announcement that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed to eat indoors…..

They set themselves up for this.

And also the EU digital green cert : I believe get one J & J dose and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 18-34 y-o's who take this Johnson vaccine will still get an mRNA vaccine later this year, said the Minister on the News at One. It's just a stopgap, so no reason at all not to take it.

That's in the event that a booster is required and latest data from J&J is that might not be the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why would you go for the hassle of a two jab vaccine and not get the J & J if you had a choice? I know if I had of had the choice I would have took the J & J

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's almost a pity we can't source J & J from somewhere else. I'd say the pharmacies will be absolutely hopping with vaccine appointments for the next couple of weeks, it will be flying off the shelves.

I read we've 40,000 doses ready to administer, with another 205,000 expected to be delivered during July & August....

I'm not sure how many 18-34 year olds we have, but it looks like at least a quarter of a million of them will happily take a J&J shot..... and by the time August rolls around, the BioNtech-Pfizer & Moderna vaccines will be hitting that cohort too.... (not to mention those in that cohort that will also go for the AstraZeneca vaccine).

It's full speed ahead now to try and stem this impending 4th wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Mr.S wrote: »
    Boots are cancelling all bookings, I wouldn’t rebook u til their website is updated to reference 18+

Cheers, thought as much.

I read we've 40,000 doses ready to administer, with another 205,000 expected to be delivered during July & August....

I'm not sure how many 18-34 year olds we have, but it looks like at least a quarter of a million of them will happily take a J&J shot..... and by the time August rolls around, the BioNtech-Pfizer & Moderna vaccines will be hitting that cohort too.... (not to mention those in that cohort that will also go for the AstraZeneca vaccine).

It's full speed ahead now to try and stem this impending 4th wave.

Plenty will go for AstraZeneca as well. Will be offered to them as soon as July 12th, meaning many people who accept it will be fully dosed by mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure how many 18-34 year olds we have

324k 15-19 year olds
    923k 20-34 year olds

So about 1.1m probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That sounds like damning the vaccine with faint praise. Odd that it was OK for the over 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Was in my neighbors this morning and his 19 year son and a few of his mates all sitting at kitchen table with various laptops and iPads all logged into various pharmacies trying to get a confirmed appointments seemingly most of his age group doing the same ...
    It looked like they were scrambling for tickets to some concert or something.
    They weren’t to bothered till the mention of vaccine certs to gain entry to pubs or events.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Now that they brought down the gap between 1st&2nd AZ shots to 4 weeks, I think AZ could also prove popular if offered via pharmacies. Let's try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People queuing out of my local pharmacy at lunch time just to fill out the form to register their interest in J&J vaccine

Had registered on the portal a week ago but then the local GP had a slot today so I've had my first jab there, is there anything I need to do regarding my original registration?

Same happened with me yesterday. My portal has updated to awaiting second vaccine, I gave my doctor my pps so there must be some kind of link up between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

AMKC wrote: »
    Why would you go for the hassle of a two jab vaccine and not get the J & J if you had a choice? I know if I had of had the choice I would have took the J & J

Two doses of the others should give you better immunity (less true if you have already had Covid I believe), plus for young women especially there is a risk of blood clots with the J&J vaccine.

We're probably going to see a few vaccination records smashed in the next couple of weeks - various age cohorts being vaccinated simultaneously in MVCs and pharmacies, the entire AZ second doses to be completed in 10 days flat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So Boots cancelled my appointment and now the only boots store in Ireland that has an available appointment is in Kilarney. Cheers Boots

St.Spodo wrote: »
    125,000 doses given Wednesday-Thursday. Phenomenal effort.

The staff at UCD MVC looked absolutely exhausted when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

cgcsb wrote: »
    So Boots cancelled my appointment and now the only boots store in Ireland that has an available appointment is in Kilarney. Cheers Boots

Yeah they'll cancel most if not all. Try again next week when they know what stock they're getting

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Plenty will go for AstraZeneca as well. Will be offered to them as soon as July 12th, meaning many people who accept it will be fully dosed by mid August.

Everything I’ve read is that there are no spare AZ until the end of the month (week of the 26th). Everything is allotted for the over 60s, healthcare, cohort 4/7. There was someone on Newstalk saying that it looks like a lot of healthcare workers are still waiting and on 15/16 weeks now. I know personally I’m on week 15 and HSE has no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Out of interest, of those that have had Boots appointments cancelled, when are they for? I can understand cancelling appointments for early next week I suppose if they have no stock, but seems stupid to be cancelling those for weeks out at the moment.

PunkIPA wrote: »
    Out of interest, of those that have had Boots appointments cancelled, when are they for? I can understand cancelling appointments for early next week I suppose if they have no stock, but seems stupid to be cancelling those for weeks out at the moment.

They don't know yet what their stock is going to be.

The safest bet is to wait for the website to update to inviting 18-34 and book an appointment then.

PunkIPA wrote: »

Mine was 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

cgcsb wrote: »
    Mine was 18th

did you book it for this morning for J&J?

Advertisement