Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Can they not be sent to Africa or India ??

Instead of healthy 20 year olds here so Tony allows them have a pint ?

The world has gone completely insane

That's capitalism for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

cgcsb wrote: »
    Would be great. I just hope that we have the capacity to administer them all. I get the impression that GPs are not pulling their weight here. Most seem to have just decided to stop giving the vaccine.

I'm hearing the opposite. Some GPs are dishing them out. Between the vaccines and test referrals GPs have never made money so easy. I'm not having a go at them by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Bulgaria is even worse than Romania.

I wouldn't be surprised if their natural immunity over their is 50%. No such thing as social distancing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

That's capitalism for ya

True . Deaths only seem to matter depending on the shade of peoples skin .
    Thousands dying every day at the moment

None here

Lets get them into the arms of people who aren't at risk and have 3 cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I give the government very little credit but that is very good on their part

That's 500,000 fully vaccinated people if they get the supplies that they think they will

Will certainly help greatly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Klonker wrote: »

Amazing stuff. Timeline on these will be very important. We might all get an indoor pint before the summer is over yet :D

Not if Tony and NPHET can help it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not if Tony and NPHET can help it lol

Can this kind of bullshit be banned from this thread? ^^

Strazdas wrote: »
    We could even open up a couple of extra MVCs if push came to shove. It would be quite bonkers to slow down the vaccinations simply because the system couldn't keep up.

Well I was more worried about staffing. I don't suppose Romania can also offer us some nurses? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Bulgaria is even worse than Romania.
    I wonder will they regret not pushing harder on take-up once Delta hits them both. At present they are still on a downward trend cases-wise and the population might think the worst is well and truly over.

True . Deaths only seem to matter depending on the shade of peoples skin .
    Thousands dying every day at the moment

None here

Lets get them into the arms of people who aren't at risk and have 3 cheers

You'll likely see Ireland and other wealthy countries issuing a third booster dose in the winter before anything is donated to the third world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well I was more worried about staffing. I don't suppose Romania can also offer us some nurses? :D

Well, that's what I mean....staffing for the MVCs. They can find suitable venues easily enough but getting the actual vaccinators is trickier. I'm sure I read though that there are considerable numbers of people who know how to vaccinate who are not currently even being used.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Well, that's what I mean....staffing for the MVCs. They can find suitable venues easily enough but getting the actual vaccinators is trickier. I'm sure I read though that there are considerable numbers of people who know how to vaccinate who are not currently even being used.

There must be thousands of medical students on summer holidays at the moment who would jump at the chance to take up vaccination as a summer job, after a short period of specific training. I know the clinical students are on placements but not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Good move from Ireland.
    ...but Romania should do a lot better. Their vaccination program sounds like joke and there's no space for that in the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We would have needed similar capacity if AZ and J&J had actually delivered so it really shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

There must be thousands of medical students on summer holidays at the moment who would jump at the chance to take up vaccination as a summer job, after a short period of specific training.

I think the pharmacies can do loads of vaccines, they just didn't have supplies. 1000 pharmacies doing 100 vaccines a week = 100,000 vaccines extra a week, above what we are currently doing. We only have 1.2 million adults left to vaccinate, and we'd be doing half those in July without the extra supplies.

The target should be all adults done with one dose by end July now. It's completely doable. Amazing stuff. Wow, after a grim start to the week this thing is going to be done by August! Just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

xboxdad wrote: »
    Good move from Ireland.
    ...but Romania should do a lot better. Their vaccination program sounds like joke and there's no space for that in the world now.

It prompted me to take a look at Europe as a whole.
    I've removed a number of countries for clarity, but you can see clear geographical bands developing based around uptake/supply.

Anyone got any idea on the history of this? Did a number of these countries have poor prior experience with vaccination programs?

Delta could rip through many of them very soon

557385.png

seamus wrote: »
    They do, but the population won't take them. Healthcare infrastructure in Romania is just awful, and the population are (understandably) very wary of government schemes and wary of the state healthcare system.

The Romanian government are selling off batches in effect to make some money on them before they expire.

It's grim, but it makes no sense for the vaccines to go to waste when we're desperate for immediate supplies.

Sounds like the EU's variant factory in mid/long term. Incentives needed from the EU that they won't be able to refuse and will make an actual effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There must be thousands of medical students on summer holidays at the moment who would jump at the chance to take up vaccination as a summer job, after a short period of specific training. I know the clinical students are on placements but not all of them.

Not only that but third level buildings might make good locations until the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Most interesting thing about that graph is the core EU countries will overtake the UK by the middle of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

5500 wrote: »
    Can't see an answer from searching but someone might have one.

Younger sibling will be due vaccine in MVC, but suffers with very bad anxiety. GP isn't doing age based, and said go to MVC should be no issue being accompanied. Had heard a similar kind of story and companion was refused entry, so asked at the MVC and was told they can't be accompanied full stop.

Issue is they likely won't go in and get it done without someone with them, will have a panic attack and leggit if on their own, GP can't understand the issue with the MVC denying access and said to take them and explain circumstance, but wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

FWIW Same situation with a family member of mine - vaccinator in the MVC told my mother there would be no trouble with having my sister accompanied when her turn came, just ask for someone when going in and explain the situation they said.

• Advertisement

I wonder will they regret not pushing harder on take-up once Delta hits them both. At present they are still on a downward trend cases-wise and the population might think the worst is well and truly over.

That's not even the worst case scenario if the Delta hits them.
    ...we don't need Romanian/Bulgarian variants with unknown capabilities that come from leaving masses unvaccinated. That's their responsibility towards all of us. We do our part to protect the ppl of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apogee wrote: »

Like the buses, nothing for nigh on 2 months (courtesy of our Russian friends), then two updates in the one day! :)
    Great numbers again - lashing through the dose 2s!

557386.jpg
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-1-july-2021.pdf

How are we buying a million Pfizer and Moderna off Romania when that country is behind us on their roll out ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How are we buying a million Pfizer and Moderna off Romania when that country is behind us on their roll out ?

Vaccine hesitancy over there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Their vaccines are sitting in a warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

gift horse - meet mouth :D

Their vaccines are sitting in a warehouse.

BTW can we be sure those vaccines were stored as per the requirements all along? I wonder how much they cared about that.
    Can vaccines be checked for their condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

xboxdad wrote: »
    BTW can we be sure those vaccines were stored as per the requirements all along? I wonder how much they cared about that.
    Can vaccines be checked for their condition?

Yea its Romania so probably were just left in a truck somewhere

Cop on with the transient racism

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Despite what you say, you can be sure the HSE will do a thorough check of the vaccines to make sure they are in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

The fact that they are flogging them at the eleventh hour to try and make a quick buck Tesco yellow-label style would make you question the competence of the Romanian government in the administration of the vaccine scheme.

I am sure they are fine, would have no problem taking them, and think it's great news that we might be buying them, but to have questions about how they were stored isn't even remotely racist given the circumstances.

For all we can complain about how the vaccination programme was rolled out here, many countries have handled it significantly worse, including in such basic areas as storing the vaccines properly. To acknowledge that isn't racism but just a basic acceptance of fact.

Advertisement