Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

JPup wrote: »
    Despite what you say, you can be sure the HSE will do a thorough check of the vaccines to make sure they are in good condition.

Romania are EU member

They'll be treated the same as if consignment came from France

PunkIPA wrote: »
    The fact that they are flogging them at the eleventh hour to try and make a quick buck Tesco yellow-label style would make you question the competence of the Romanian government in the administration of the vaccine scheme.

I am sure they are fine, would have no problem taking them, and think it's great news that we might be buying them, but to have questions about how they were stored isn't even remotely racist given the circumstances.

For all we can complain about how the vaccination programme was rolled out here, many countries have handled it significantly worse, including in such basic areas as storing the vaccines properly. To acknowledge that isn't racism but just a basic acceptance of fact.

Society is open in Romania and vaccine open for all

As a result people have no urgency to get vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

There must be thousands of medical students on summer holidays at the moment who would jump at the chance to take up vaccination as a summer job, after a short period of specific training. I know the clinical students are on placements but not all of them.

My sister is a medical student, her and her friends completed vaccination training recently in order to do them. So definitely something that is being done abehind the scenes.

Between the vaccines being rolled out to under 35s and the news of buying 1m from Romania its been a great day vaccine wise. I've been critical of a lot of what has gone on recently but they have done a good job in terms of rolling out the vaccine. Fair play to them and hopefully this will mean we will all be done in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Germany makes early recommendation to mix and match vaccines

A health committee has recommended all people who get a first shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine should switch to a different type of jab for their second shot.

The committee, which includes health minister Jens Spahn, said current study results show a mixture of AZ with an mRNA vaccine (such as Pfizer or Moderna) is "significantly superior" to two doses of AstraZeneca.

It also recommended the second dose be administered four weeks or more after the first shot, much shorter than the nine to 12 weeks recommended between AstraZeneca jabs.

This remains a draft and a final recommendation with more detail and sourcing will follow.

Researchers have previously said mixing vaccines is likely safe and effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can they not be sent to Africa or India ??

Instead of healthy 20 year olds here so Tony allows them have a pint ?

The world has gone completely insane
    Well, there's that Delta thing floating about so no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can they not be sent to Africa or India ??

Instead of healthy 20 year olds here so Tony allows them have a pint ?

The world has gone completely insane

Short-dated mRNA vaccines with their comparatively complicated storage and handling requirements are not what you send to countries with non-existent healthcare systems.

Can this kind of bullshit be banned from this thread? ^^
    You could also learn how to ignore posts that annoy you!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Yea its Romania so probably were just left in a truck somewhere

Cop on with the transient racism

The reasoning on this thread for why they sell 1mill vaccines was that their health system is so very poor their own ppl don't trust it.
    So then you find it racist to ask if they stored the vaccines as per the strict requirements?
    A joke and an insult combined. Thank you..

Don't bother throwing another random insult at me, I'll ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Has anyone any good source of information re the Moderna vaccine? As in effectiveness, side effects how it comperes to the other vaccines ? You hear a lot about all the other vaccines but not much is mentioned about Moderna. How effective is it against the Delta variant ?

My husband is somewhat vaccine hesitant and it took me a few weeks to talk him into registering. I was almost certain that he will get offered Pfizer (the only vaccines he is willing to take) but the text came yesterday, offering Moderna. He is about to cancel the appointment so just want some reliable information re Moderna.

On the other side if he does decide to cancel/postpone his appointment is there a chance he might be offered Pfizer? He is in the 40-45 age bracket if that's of any importance.

xboxdad wrote: »
    The reasoning on this thread for why they sell 1mill vaccines was that their health system is so very poor their own ppl don't trust it.
    So then you find it racist to ask if they stored the vaccines as per the strict requirements?
    A joke and an insult combined. Thank you..

Don't bother throwing another random insult at me, I'll ignore it.
    The reason they arent is as above

There is no incentive to get vaccinated when life is as per normal

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Germany makes early recommendation to mix and match vaccines

A health committee has recommended all people who get a first shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine should switch to a different type of jab for their second shot.

The committee, which includes health minister Jens Spahn, said current study results show a mixture of AZ with an mRNA vaccine (such as Pfizer or Moderna) is "significantly superior" to two doses of AstraZeneca.

It also recommended the second dose be administered four weeks or more after the first shot, much shorter than the nine to 12 weeks recommended between AstraZeneca jabs.

This remains a draft and a final recommendation with more detail and sourcing will follow.

Researchers have previously said mixing vaccines is likely safe and effective.
    It will be down to NIAC and so far they say no. The Germans have levels of hesitancy to overcome so it makes sense for them to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

angela1711 wrote: »
    Has anyone any good source of information re the Moderna vaccine? As in effectiveness, side effects how it comperes to the other vaccines ? You hear a lot about all the other vaccines but not much is mentioned about Moderna. How effective is it against the Delta variant ?

My husband is somewhat vaccine hesitant and it took me a few weeks to talk him into registering. I was almost certain that he will get offered Pfizer (the only vaccines he is willing to take) but the text came yesterday, offering Moderna. He is about to cancel the appointment so just want some reliable information re Moderna.

On the other side if he does decide to cancel/postpone his appointment is there a chance he might be offered Pfizer? He is in the 40-45 age bracket if that's of any importance.

Pfizer and Moderna are based on same technology, Mrna. Both are shown pretty much the same results in how effective they are.

He could chance cancelling to see if he gets offered Pfizer next time but no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Moderna is basically the exact same as Pfizer

If he turns it down there's a chance he'll be offered Pfizer next time but it's pot luck, he should just take Moderna if it's available

• Registered Users Posts: 15 katti

Anybody lost their appointment card? I have dose number 2 tomorrow and card has gone AWOL. I have the confirmation text of course and I've completed the online questions but just hoping this isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Sam W

Finally will be able to book the vaccine from next week. A quick question - is it possible to select a preferable venue, and a preferable date/period? I heard some centres have a long waiting list and I don’t mind doing some driving’s to a less busy centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

Some rather premature comments about Romania. How do you know that the vaccines in question have actually been delivered to Romania and are currently stored there? They are part of the Romanian order and could well be stored in Germany or somewhere pending delivery. In any event I am sure that vaccines from this batch will be subject to testing/quality control.

Any I would question the sneering tone towards Romania. In the 90s I saw that by far the best-equipped and most dynamic (from the research aspect) Romanian medical institute was an institute of Virology, which stood out from other medical institutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

If he turns it down there's a chance he'll be offered Pfizer next time but it's pot luck, he should just take Moderna if it's available

The reason for lack of discussion about Moderna is more due to it's lack of supply rather than it's efficacy. We've received a very low number of Moderna compared to other vaccines but it is similar to Pfizer in efficacy and wouldn't hesitate to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The vaccines in Romania would have been stored properly.
    The people are not stupid.

Romania also have donated hundreds of thousands of vaccines to Moldova earlier this year when their neighbour lacked doses. They have done more to help other countries than some have done.

I hope later this year if Romania are looking for doses and we have spare doses that we return the kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some rather premature comments about Romania. How do you know that the vaccines in question have actually been delivered to Romania and are currently stored there? They are part of the Romanian order and could well be stored in Germany or somewhere pending delivery. In any event I am sure that vaccines from this batch will be subject to testing/quality control.

Any I would question the sneering tone towards Romania. In the 90s I saw that by far the best-equipped and most dynamic (from the research aspect) Romanian medical institute was an institute of Virology, which stood out from other medical institutes.

Romania is a very very underrated country.

Moderna is equally as good as Pfizer, it uses the same mRNA technology and is just as effective. It is an excellent vaccine. They only reason you hear more about Pfizer is because it makes up most of our supply.

There is absolutely no reason to turn it down, it does exactly what Pfizer does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Been reading last few months about younger generation not worried and don't want vaccine not just here but everywhere..... Mention the prospect of not been able go to a pub......... They can't wait to get it hahaha.

Government played a blinder by looks of it saying that I honestly can't see the vaccine passport for pubs or restaurants going ahead.

Sam W wrote: »
    Finally will be able to book the vaccine from next week. A quick question - is it possible to select a preferable venue, and a preferable date/period? I heard some centres have a long waiting list and I don’t mind doing some driving’s to a less busy centre.

Through the portal, no.

If location is an issue you could try to get a vaccine through a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I'm sure you've probably seen all of this, but just to iterate both the HSE and the EMA have some very good pages with lots of informations in them.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/moderna/
    https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/spikevax-previously-covid-19-vaccine-moderna

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yep. A huge amount of the US has been vaccinated with Moderna, whereas Pfizer is more common over here. Results suggest it might even be slightly better than Pfizer - the US has bought a few extra hundred million doses for children or as boosters. Not hearing much about it is probably a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there any information available on approx population numbers allocated to each MVC compared to capacity of the centre? For example, Citywest claim to be doing almost 5k per day, but how many are allocated to them? Given it covers Clondalkin, Lucan, Tallaght and much of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge, it seems this area must have one of the poorest ratios in terms of capacity. But I'd like to see some data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I think it's more of a reluctance to see anything Michael Martin does in a positive light.

I mean he has his many faults, but come on, people have to give credit where it's due. This is superb news and now we'll finish the vaccination programme weeks or months earlier than originally thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there any information available on approx population numbers allocated to each MVC compared to capacity of the centre? For example, Citywest claim to be doing almost 5k per day, but how many are allocated to them? Given it covers Clondalkin, Lucan, Tallaght and much of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge, it seems this area must have one of the poorest ratios in terms of capacity. But I'd like to see some data.

Maynooth is now Punchestown. And still very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Boots appointment cancelled. :(

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Boots appointment cancelled. :(

Patience say the HSE!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0702/1232712-pharmacy-vaccines-covid/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

L1011 wrote: »
    Maynooth is now Punchestown. And still very slow

I know someone from Maynooth (42) with an appointment for next week in Citywest. But even without Maynooth it seems Citywest is covering a disproportionately large population.

Advertisement