Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Is there any information available on approx population numbers allocated to each MVC compared to capacity of the centre? For example, Citywest claim to be doing almost 5k per day, but how many are allocated to them? Given it covers Clondalkin, Lucan, Tallaght and much of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge, it seems this area must have one of the poorest ratios in terms of capacity. But I'd like to see some data.

They move the assigned areas around a lot. D18 were being sent to city west but now mainly UCD. However it seems they need to do more of this in West Dublin. City West does seem very slow. On the plus side, they have huge capacity and once the second dose AZ are done they should fly through the younger groups (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know someone from Maynooth (42) with an appointment for next week in Citywest. But even without Maynooth it seems Citywest is covering a disproportionately large population.

All the big Dublin ones are. Citywest has also done parts of Meath, the Aviva parts of Wicklow at times and the Helix regularly does parts of Meath and Louth. It can also depend how long people have been registered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

is_that_so wrote: »
    All the big Dublin ones are. Citywest has also done parts of Meath, the Aviva parts of Wicklow at times and the Helix regularly does parts of Meath and Louth. It can also depend how long people have been registered as well.

But surely it should be proportionate to capacity. With 5k a day capacity Citywest should obviously be doing a larger population than a smaller regional centre, but it seems disproportionate - it's covering several of the most populous suburbs in the country. I trusted that capacity was fairly evenly spread across regions, I'm doubting that now but would have thought there's some actual data on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Absolutely excellent news from today. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

angela1711 wrote: »
    Has anyone any good source of information re the Moderna vaccine? As in effectiveness, side effects how it comperes to the other vaccines ? You hear a lot about all the other vaccines but not much is mentioned about Moderna. How effective is it against the Delta variant ?

My husband is somewhat vaccine hesitant and it took me a few weeks to talk him into registering. I was almost certain that he will get offered Pfizer (the only vaccines he is willing to take) but the text came yesterday, offering Moderna. He is about to cancel the appointment so just want some reliable information re Moderna.

On the other side if he does decide to cancel/postpone his appointment is there a chance he might be offered Pfizer? He is in the 40-45 age bracket if that's of any importance.

If you look at my post yesterday then the Public Health England report actually showed Moderna to be slightly better than Pfizer on some measures. I wouldn't say it is hugely better, but it certainly isn't inferior to Pfizer either, both work in the same way and most researchers regard them as more or less the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Pat_bottom

At the end of the day all the vaccines recommended have a way higher efficacy then they would of predicted 15 momths ago. None are poor in terms of not working and if enough people get any type of them they will all work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

That's amazing news regarding the 1 million vaccines from Romania. Well done to the government and it takes the edge off a bad week.

When we getting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Godot. wrote: »
    That's amazing news regarding the 1 million vaccines from Romania. Well done to the government and it takes the edge off a bad week.

When we getting them?

Within days apparently, providing the whole thing goes through okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Just had my booking at boots jervis on the 25th cancelled....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Can I ask what's the typical time period between Pfizer doses?

The reason for asking is that it's coming up to the four weeks since I got the first dose and I've heard nothing about the second doses. I'm logging into the vaccine portal and the second appointment is not made yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strazdas wrote: »

Anyone got a niggling feeling MM maybe jumped the gun announcing it? I've a worry we won't hear anything and next ya know some other country took them at 2x the price. It just sounds too good to be true. Be delighted when they arrive of course, would make a massive impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sam W wrote: »
    Finally will be able to book the vaccine from next week. A quick question - is it possible to select a preferable venue, and a preferable date/period? I heard some centres have a long waiting list and I don’t mind doing some driving’s to a less busy centre.

Don't think so. I got mine today and had to drive half an hour to get it when there's a center I could literally hit with a football from my front door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

ianobrien wrote: »

The reason for asking is that it's coming up to the four weeks since I got the first dose and I've heard nothing about the second doses. I'm logging into the vaccine portal and the second appointment is not made yet.

Husband didn't get his second Pfizer til yesterday, day 40 after 1dt. That's in Cork. Seems people are late or bang on time down here. Think they're trying to squeeze in AZ first, which is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

airy fairy wrote: »
    Husband didn't get his second Pfizer til yesterday, day 40 after 1dt. That's in Cork. Seems people are late or bang on time down here. Think they're trying to squeeze in AZ first, which is no harm.

Thanks. I'm in the Real capital also.......

I'll try not to worry that I've been forgotten about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

What in the name of god are the examiner at. An anti vaxxers wet dream headline! And just as it’s opening up to that age group as well

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1411025266349019138?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Thanks. I'm in the Real capital also.......

I'll try not to worry that I've been forgotten about!

I'd be ringing the HSE and badgering them about that. ECDC recommended Pfizer interval be reduced back to the 3 week interval of the trial (4 week gap is just to line it up with Moderna, which was trialed at 4 weeks) to speed up full vaccinations, so you're well within your rights to annoy them about your follow up.

If you get over 4 weeks, badger them even harder. Any more than 42 days after the first dose, and the second dose becomes technically off label use of the vaccine under the EMA approval. 3 - 6 weeks is the interval range so I'd kick up a fuss if there's a delay. The HSE really seem to need to do better on the whole with sticking to the second dose schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cork2021 wrote: »
    What in the name of god are the examiner at. An anti vaxxers wet dream headline! And just as it’s opening up to that age group as well

most medical experts would say the AZ vaccine risk is far less than risk of Delta virus infection, but journalists know better , anything to sell a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

This kind of carry on is disgusting from the Examiner, purely trying to stir the pot with an inflammatory headline. The results are from some dodgy sounding modelling of how many covid deaths would be prevented vs predicted deaths from clotting, not even real world data.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, pretty sh1t journalism tbf. Even if take everything in thr article and modelling study as correct. Clotting risk is twice as high as death but of the clots, it's 17-20% risk of death from it so the danger of dying from covid is still higher than danger of dying from a clot from the vaccine. Never mind of course that you can have different effects from getting covid than just death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was vaccinated 3 weeks with my first Pfizer/BioNtech dose and am getting my second shot next week for a four week interval. In the North they are doing a 10 week interval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Anyone got a niggling feeling MM maybe jumped the gun announcing it? I've a worry we won't hear anything and next ya know some other country took them at 2x the price. It just sounds too good to be true. Be delighted when they arrive of course, would make a massive impact!

The way the Taoiseach is speaking this evening (quoted by RTE) would suggest this is a done deal. It sounds like they are just ironing out the logistics....very promising news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are we gazumping Denmark here (didn't they announce the same thing, 1 million vaccines from Romania a few days ago) or is this another 1 million that they aren't using.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.romania-insider.com/ro-sells-vaccines-denmark-jun-2021

Romania selling 1 million Pfizer doses to Denmark at acquisition price as they are getting close to expiry date.
    Did Ireland look to buy any of these?

I wonder if Bulgaria has vaccines for sale due to their low vaccine rate?

I am happy we did.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am happy we did.

So am I happy from a Green Jersey perspective but if I was an Indian or Brazilian I'd be fairly pissed reading the news that the likes of Ireland or Denmark are getting to skip the queue by opening the chequebook when both countries have seen the same amount of deaths since the very beginning as the likes of Brazil or India is experiencing Daily!

We are lucky we are living in a country with such a economically illiterate Govt and robust economy (tax haven) to support the sort of absolutely crazy measures we have seen here since the start compared to other countries where Covid has caused immense serious hardship wheras for Ireland it has given alot of people a huge bonus in terms of free printed money for not working, public and civil servants of full pay at home for a year and a hald. Alot of whome haven't done a tap since Covid and everyone are hiding behind covid because the pandemic suits them better to do nothing at work.

I think there should be a system of subs where eg. if Romania didn't use its allocation then they would go to countries struggling to vaccinate like African nations and South America. Australia has no-one vaccinated hardly and is now reaping the rewards of their crazy zero-covid approach and the variants rips through them and they thought to pull up the drawbridge forever would work lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Are we gazumping Denmark here (didn't they announce the same thing, 1 million vaccines from Romania a few days ago) or is this another 1 million that they aren't using.

Apparently, these are different vaccines
    Indo wrote:
    IRELAND is on the brink of buying one million Covid-19 vaccines from the Romanian government, Independent.ie can exclusively reveal.
    The move will be a massive boost for the vaccination programme amid dire warnings from health chiefs that a fourth wave of Covid-19 is now inevitable.
    In recent days, Romania has halted the importation of vaccines due to a slow uptake among its citizens. Their government already started sending more than one million unwanted doses to Denmark earlier this week.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/ireland-to-buy-one-million-unwanted-vaccines-from-romania-40606757.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

theguzman wrote: »
    So am I happy from a Green Jersey perspective but if I was an Indian or Brazilian I'd be fairly pissed reading the news that the likes of Ireland or Denmark are getting to skip the queue by opening the chequebook when both countries have seen the same amount of deaths since the very beginning as the likes of Brazil or India is experiencing Daily!

We are lucky we are living in a country with such a economically illiterate Govt and robust economy (tax haven) to support the sort of absolutely crazy measures we have seen here since the start compared to other countries where Covid has caused immense serious hardship wheras for Ireland it has given alot of people a huge bonus in terms of free printed money for not working, public and civil servants of full pay at home for a year and a hald. Alot of whome haven't done a tap since Covid and everyone are hiding behind covid because the pandemic suits them better to do nothing at work.

I think there should be a system of subs where eg. if Romania didn't use its allocation then they would go to countries struggling to vaccinate like African nations and South America. Australia has no-one vaccinated hardly and is now reaping the rewards of their crazy zero-covid approach and the variants rips through them and they thought to pull up the drawbridge forever would work lol.

If we didn't but them there would be a mob asking questions and slating the government for not buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Strazdas wrote: »

This feels like your football club making a deadline day signing..... Hope psg don't come in with a late bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Clear example of a suspect headline. Having a clot does not necessarily kill you and since the association between clots and AZ is now known and so it is much less likely to kill than in the early days. There was a Professor on the radio during the week describing how they now have a specific test for this type of clot which people can get quickly enough to stop any damage.

Having Covid can give you other problems other than death of course.

celt262 wrote: »
    If we didn't but them there would be a mob asking questions and slating the government for not buying them.

I agree totally and buying them is the right thing to do from our point of view, but in the bigger global picture it is actually wrong since we are over the far effects of the pandemic. These vaccines will ensure a bunch of twenty-somethings can go out on the sauce here where they would save alot more lives abroad where they are needed far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

theguzman wrote: »

India was exporting vaccines to places like the UK before they stopped exporting.
    Brazil went for Chinese vaccines before getting more like Pfizer as people don't trust the Chinese vaccines.
    These governments could have done better.

Advertisement