Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    For the MRNA vaccines that means the close contact has a ~95% chance of not contracting covid 19.

How do the numbers look like for AZ & J&J, do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zipppy wrote: »
    Daughter is in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    They started out vaccinations after us, had supply issues, slow start.

Now...daughter 26 getting her vaccine today.
    BC just announced phased relaxation of all restrictions over next 3 months..incl masks gone in Sept.
    They used very little AZ (dont anymore) and had no J&J.
    They were using a 16 week gap for vaccine doses, now reducing to 50 days I gather..
    I think we must have taken a wrong turn in the road.
    We signed up for the EU distribution model, the best approach IMO. 17m shots go a lot further in a population of 40m than in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Raphael Picard

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Got my vaccine on Monday afternoon. Jensen single shot.
    I was fine all evening, then woke up with a banging headache at 4AM, and didn't really sleep after that. Took paracetamol 2HRs before the shot, 2HRs after and just before bed. Took them when I woke up too. They do help.
    Almost 40HRs later and I have a "fuzzy" head, but no headache. Never had any kind of fever.

Got my own Janssen shot on Monday morning. Was feeling fine until last night, but now also have the same "fuzzy head" as yourself. No headache or fever either. Will try taking some paracetamol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Be nice if we could get some indication as to when registration will open for 40-45
    Could do with a bit of a boost !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

km79 wrote: »
    Be nice if we could get some indication as to when registration will open for 40-45

I'm just thinking that myself if it's next week fair enough but let the people know!

• Advertisement

It is expected that registration for the vaccination programme for those aged 40-45 will open next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is expected that registration for the vaccination programme for those aged 40-45 will open next week.

This 47 year old hopes that means they'll be getting round to him soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Any ideas about the 35-39 age group timelines?

Elessar wrote: »
    Any ideas about the 35-39 age group timelines?
    Mid June now one would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

How did the people in the 45-49 group do, who signed up for the vaccine around 11pm Tuesday, was there any advantage to getting in early or was it strictly age based like the hse claimed?

• Advertisement

How did the people in the 45-49 group do, who signed up for the vaccine around 11pm Tuesday, was there any advantage to getting in early or was it strictly age based like the hse claimed?
    The appointments thread might give you some indicators, a few 40 somethings already have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's no way of knowing but myself and spouse registered around 8.30pm on Tue 18th, she (49) was called from backup list on Sunday morning, I'm still waiting (46).

It seems to be fairly strictly age based within each MVC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You have stepped into a snippet of detail in the wrong context.

The timelines quoted above are where each vaccine reaches full effectiveness. For the MRNA vaccines that means the close contact has a ~95% chance of not contracting covid 19. There is no public health basis for testing and isolating people who only have a ~5% chance of suffering a breakthrough infection. Particularly when breakthrough infections are more likely to be cases of incredibly mild / asymptomatic disease.

It' has to be more than 5% now, the positivity in close contacts increased from 12% to 35% with the UK variant by February, I'm seeing figures the indian strain is possibly 20% more transmissible than the UK variant, wouldn't logic dictate that the 5% chance in the vaccinated has now shifted above the pre February odds in the unvaccinated of catching it via a close contact taking into account increased transmission and slightly increased vaccine evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

BC just announced phased relaxation of all restrictions over next 3 months..incl masks gone in Sept.
    They were using a 16 week gap for vaccine doses, now reducing to 50 days I gather..

There is one huge difference. Uptake in Ireland has been close to 100%.

I was comparing with Canada and in BC it’s running at about 83% for the older age groups and dropping steeply as you go down the ages and hesitancy increased.

Those uptake rates make a big difference to how fast down the age groups you get, but coverage is poorer.

They’ve also done very few second doses.

Bear in mind we had a very hard spike here earlier this year and we are also exposed to the UK with an open border, so second doses have been a higher priority.

Also their normalisation plan is aiming for September, which is similar to here.

We will reach 80%+ by July sometime but they’re being conservative about messaging largely because of unknown issues about variants.

The largest % of vaccines used here are Pfizer/BioNTech (by a long shot).

The online trackers are also inaccurate here at the moment and stopped on 11 May due the HSE hack.

We’ve passed 2.5 million doses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you can't make your initial appointment for a vaccine, can you reschedule?

Our highly conservative 4 week interval between doses is definitely a factor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

It was down to the AZ supply shambles, plus a bit of aping of the UK. It mostly really only affected HCWs. They'll be up over the next 4 weeks for their second dose.

Ah, I see, I get it about the AZ supply issue, but aping of the UK - in what way...
    It is set for a max of 12 weeks there, but is roughly within 10.5 weeks. - which they are amending in the 'hotspots'. Second doses for all vaccines are so important.

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not self-pitying. I've been professionally and financially unaffected by the pandemic, as I was already WFH. I do though appreciate the incredible sacrifice that the young have made for the old.

Anyway, if the medium-old people don't get AZ then it'll go unused, which will result in a slower rollout and more infection and death - that's the public health rationale. Use all available vaccines.

As for the vaccine effectiveness, AFAIK one dose of AZ gives good protection against the Indian variant after a few weeks, so I don't see the problem. The 30% efficacy was only after three weeks, and it has been known from the earliest studies that AZ protection takes at least 5 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness.

I postd a twitter thread from Mac n Chise earlier on. Interesting thread as it discussed the Indian variant and how the vaccines Pfizer and AZ are so far working against this variant, with he expectation that both will increase to over 90% effective, based on earlier modelling and similar variant behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Our highly conservative 4 week interval between doses is definitely a factor here.

Given the risks here with exposure to the Indian variant and the UK variant being the endemic one, I disagree.

We’ll have solid immunity here very rapidly. We’ve also huge and very solid supply chains, particularly of Pfizer / BioNTech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Where did you see that ? Last I seen was end of this week but I doubt that’s the case now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where did you see that ? Last I seen was end of this week but I doubt that’s the case now

This mornings Irish times.

The only reference that was made previously to end of this week was that they'd announce it.

Would suspect it'll be announced tomorrow given the HSE are due to announce the latest operational update with the expectation it'll mention 400k per week in June

Given the risks here with exposure to the Indian variant and the UK variant being the endemic one, I disagree.

We’ll have solid immunity here very rapidly. We’ve also huge and very solid supply chains, particularly of Pfizer / BioNTech.

It's a balancing act, but right now the vast majority of under 50s have not even had one dose, so they have no protection at all from the Indian variant.

The English study concluded that a first dose alone was less effective against the Indian variant than it is against others, in terms of preventing infection. However, the data set was too small to determine how well it protects against severe illness and death. So far, we know that the vaccines with lower headline figures for efficacy do still protect against severe illness and death, even against the variants, so it's likely that would also be the case here.

I think a 6 or 7 week gap is more than reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

In this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-hits-2-5-million-vaccinations-earlier-than-expected-1.4575202%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

so as covid-19 mutates its getting more dangerous? as every 6 months or so a new strain is in play where the vaccines are less effective .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Deliveries have been updated for last week.

Pfizer/Bio - 1,886,040 (+183k)
    Astrazeneca - 626,000 (+27k)
    Moderna - 283,200 (+65k) - must include this weeks delivery
    Janssen - 61,200 (+16.8k)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

This mornings Irish times.

The only reference that was made previously to end of this week was that they'd announce it.

Would suspect it'll be announced tomorrow given the HSE are due to announce the latest operational update with the expectation it'll mention 400k per week in June
    The closer we (40-44) get, the slower it seems to go. That would indicate registration opening Sunday night for Monday, and I see also Pairc Uí Chaoimh is stopping for two days and they were the ones really blazing ahead with some appointments for 46 year olds reported on the other thread. It was on that basis plus the ample supplies I was predicting Thursday opening registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Elessar wrote: »
    If you can't make your initial appointment for a vaccine, can you reschedule?

Yes there is an option on the text you get to reply 'New' and you get a rescheduled date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The closer we (40-44) get, the slower it seems to go. That would indicate registration opening Sunday night for Monday, and I see also Pairc Uí Chaoimh is stopping for two days and they were the ones really blazing ahead with some appointments for 46 year olds reported on the other thread. It was on that basis plus the ample supplies I was predicting Thursday opening registration.

Part of the issue is the large numbers in the 40-49 age cohort. That plus those missed from previous age groups now being vaccinated and second doses which are in train atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks

And jaysus @ the stories on there re: the side effects after the second shot of Moderna

A needed sacrifice I suppose and they seem to pass eventually from what I'm reading there

Another thing is - reading between the lines - some of those talking about side effects on there have obviously never got Travel vaccines or similar in their lives

1-3 days of feeling a bit weird/fatigued, especially in the arm you got the shot, is normal

Yes, I remember getting my yellow fever jab - knocked me out for weeks. Had my first covid jab, bit of a tender injection site, tired and flu like, two days later, much more bright and one step closer to our new Covid freedom, yeah!!!

Advertisement