Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

newboard wrote: »
    Vaccined this morning, a co-worker said that if I'm getting vaccined they don't want to work in the same place as me for 2 weeks but won't say why, any ideas?

They must think vaccine is contagious.

Or that the 5G transmitter is too powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Why not ask them?

They won't say why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Vaccined this morning, a co-worker said that if I'm getting vaccined they don't want to work in the same place as me for 2 weeks but won't say why, any ideas?

It’s because they’re an idiot.

There's a nutjob theory that vaccinated people "shed" virus. But that's impossible for the type of vaccines being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭blackcard

Grand. Tell them that you are staying put and they can work elsewhere ⁸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭giveitholly

They won't say why

So they don't want to be beside you and won't say why? Surely that is not your problem but theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They won't say why
    Could be the 14 days after which you're considered fully protected with Pfizer or Moderna. Not a reason to fall out with someone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think it’s a fair point being made re risks from AstraZeneca for under 30s versus clot risk for this age group. Especially given the case fatality ratio of delta in U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

JPup wrote: »
    How do you mean? Why would it be a waste. One dose of J&J gives similar levels of protection to the other vaccines from serious disease, especially if you’ve already had Covid.

It would be a waste because people who have had Covid already only need one more vaccine.

So if I, who had Covid, am given a J&J, it's a waste. I should be given a single Pfizer/ AZ, and let the one shot vaccine be given to someone who has never had Covid.

Nobody has yet stated that there is a system in place to prevent this wastage, thus it is highly likely thousands of J&J jabs will be given to people who don't need them.

I wouldn't expect anything less off this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    If you were under 35 and had a choice between J&J or Pfizer in the same week which would you pick?

J&J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’d be more worried about working beside them if this is the way they think !
    Do they wear a tinfoil hat .......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

It would be a waste because people who have had Covid already only need one more vaccine.

So if I, who had Covid, am given a J&J, it's a waste. I should be given a single Pfizer/ AZ, and let the one shot vaccine be given to someone who has never had Covid.

Nobody has yet stated that there is a system in place to prevent this wastage, thus it is highly likely thousands of J&J jabs will be given to people who don't need them.

I wouldn't expect anything less off this government.

Your first point is valid re only needing one AZ/Pfizer/Moderna and there currently isn't a system in place that I have seen

Using J&J as the "one dose" isn't really an issue tbh, efficacy levels are similar for one dose of JJ/AZ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Boots cancelled my wifes appointment but not mine.

Wonder what the criteria is.

Vicxas wrote: »

I would say availability is the biggest issue unless your over 34. Did you both register at same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

duffman13 wrote: »
    I would say availability is the biggest issue unless your over 34. Did you both register at same time?

Yeah, i registered first and then my wife 10 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

john_doe. wrote: »
    Personally I've taken it , first dose Pfizer. Not certain I'll take 2nd dose as apparently I'm 62% now and quite fit and healthy so risk should be well reduced from effects of actual Covid. Also wife had it and I never got it which was weird.

Do whatever you like, but one dose of Pfizer isn't very effective against the Delta variant, and a single dose isn't sufficient to avoid testing for travel, which is both inconvenient and risks derailing travel plans if you test positive a couple of days before a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Lumen wrote: »
    Do whatever you like, but one dose of Pfizer isn't very effective against the Delta variant, and a single dose isn't sufficient to avoid testing for travel, which is both inconvenient and risks derailing travel plans if you test positive a couple of days before a trip.

“The case-fatality rate for Delta (0.3%) at this time appears to be lower than that for Alpha (2%)". Per Cillian De Gascun.

No issues not traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

They're rushing to get the vaccine because the government have told them we will keep you under house arrest until you take it. It is a rushed vaccine that has caused deaths in women who were at little to no risk of dying of Covid, whether you like it or not. Women are taking the risk of it because they can't handle living like this any more.

Of course they are. If the narrative was that this was nearly over and taking a vaccine was a personal choice then uptake would be much lower.

Instead scare stories about the coming Delta Monster have been followed by threats that anyone who doesn't take vaccine will be banned from pubs and restaurants indefinitely followed by announcement of u turn to allow 20s to take vaccine. Vaccine passport requirement for EU travel is another incentive

I know of several people who a few months ago said they would not be taking vaccine have now abandoned their principles and changed their mind.
    I think that govt has no intention of implementing ban on those unvaccinated for pubs and restaurants when they are reopened. It was announced with the sole purpose of "encouraging" 20's to get vaccine over next few weeks.

Your first point is valid re only needing one AZ/Pfizer/Moderna and there currently isn't a system in place that I have seen

Using J&J as the "one dose" isn't really an issue tbh, efficacy levels are similar for one dose of JJ/AZ etc

But it is an issue.

If I am forced to take a J&J instead of an AZ/ Pfizer, I'm depriving it off a person who should be taking it as a single dose. I've default had my first dose, my second should only be Pfizer/ AZ, not a J&J.

It is, again, staggering wastage and incompetence in the most comically badly run country in Western Europe.

But it is an issue.

If I am forced to take a J&J instead of an AZ/ Pfizer, I'm depriving it off a person who should be taking it as a single dose. I've default had my first dose, my second should only be Pfizer/ AZ, not a J&J.

It is, again, staggering wastage and incompetence in the most comically badly run country in Western Europe.

Your not forced to take any vaccine though, J&J and AZ are opt ins. You are deciding to take it, personal responsibility on that decision. Fundamentally though, if you only need one dose, I'd agree it's a waste to give you a 2nd AZ/Pfizer/Moderna vaccine.

From a health perspective though, you'd get a similar immune response after one dose of the above and including J&J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

john_doe. wrote: »
    “The case-fatality rate for Delta (0.3%) at this time appears to be lower than that for Alpha (2%)". Per Cillian De Gascun

Yeah, because most of the highest risk people are vaccinated.

Look, do whatever you like. Judging by the last few posts the antivax regulars are piling back in, so I'm out.

The Government better be hoping the two or three young girls who die of this die towards the tail end of the campaign.

If they die early and it is widely broadcast the campaign could hit the skids.

Young women being forced into taking a potentially dangerous vaccine to protect them against a virus that poses no threat to them, or they won't be allowed into a pub until next year. A sick society.

Ah right, I see where your going here. Again, no one is forced to take anything and informed consent is required should they elect to take a JJ/AZ vaccine. Personal responsibility when given the facts, seems like a fair society to me. If the same people decided to wait, they'll get Pfizer/Moderna by August

No issue with people questioning it at all, my issue is a lot of posters clearly have an agenda “I’m not anti vax but vaccines give kids autism and my child is now wheel chair bound because of the vaccine”.

I got mine and the truth is we don’t know the long term effects, that is true of any vaccine or medicine though, they are tested for a period of time before being rolled out, this one has been much faster for obvious reasons.

What’s the definition of long term though for those who are cautious? 2 years, 10,20,50? Where I had doubts i just kept thinking who do I trust more, some of the worlds greatest minds or a group on Facebook telling us we were going to be a signal for three mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The Government better be hoping the two or three young girls who die of this die towards the tail end of the campaign.

If they die early and it is widely broadcast the campaign could hit the skids.

Young women being forced into taking a potentially dangerous vaccine to protect them against a virus that poses no threat to them, or they won't be allowed into a pub until next year. A sick society.

Most of the things young women drink in pubs are clearly more dangerous than the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Vicxas wrote: »

Mine was cancelled too.

Boots advised me that their system went live with too many slots available by mistake. My own boots cancelled 45 appointments made in just 1 hour. They are only getting 1 vial of J&J for all next week - which means they can only vaccinate 5 people apparently...

They told me the 5 people who weren't cancelled were the 5 people that chose the correct time for their slot and those of us who were cancelled chose a slot that wasn't meant to be published.

Your not forced to take any vaccine though, J&J and AZ are opt ins. You are deciding to take it, personal responsibility on that decision. .

Yes. But there is no ban on me, who has had Covid, taking J&J if that's the only one available in the chemist I book with.

That relies on my own good deed being to refuse it.

That is patently ridiculous as most people will take anything to get it over and done with.

Ah right, I see where your going here. Again, no one is forced to take anything

"Nobody is forcing you to take anything, but if you refuse to take it you might not get to see the inside of a pub before 2022"

Not forced indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Rough estimate of figures for July. Open to correction.

MVC capacity. 300,000 per week. So 1,200,000 per month.

Doses to be administered.
    Over 60s 2nd AZ - 200,000
    34-49 First Pfizer/Moderna- 140,000
    34-49 Second Pfizer/Moderna. 400,000

So capacity left of approx 450,000

18-34s
    Number in group. Approx 800,000
    Number who will take vaccine 700,000
    Number in group already done by GPs 200,000
    Jansen through pharmacies. 150,000

So approx 350,000 left for MVCs

So maximum numbers of Pfizer/Moderna doses needed in July would be 900,000
    Pfizer deliveries in July would be at least 1,00,000.
    And we have unknown amounts of Pfizer/Moderna in storage.
    Govt won't release figures but 600,000 Pfizer delivered in last week alone.

So why of earth are we buying 1,000,000 extra nearly expired Pfizer from Romania.?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

No issue with people questioning it at all, my issue is a lot of posters clearly have an agenda “I’m not anti vax but vaccines give kids autism and my child is now wheel chair bound because of the vaccine”.

I got mine and the truth is we don’t know the long term effects, that is true of any vaccine or medicine though, they are tested for a period of time before being rolled out, this one has been much faster for obvious reasons.

What’s the definition of long term though for those who are cautious? 2 years, 10,20,50? Where I had doubts i just kept thinking who do I trust more, some of the worlds greatest minds or a group on Facebook telling us we were going to be a signal for three mobile.

The way I see it there are two groups of ppl with questions:
    - People with genuine concerns / questions
    - The "useless government" type of people

It makes ppl with genuine concerns/questions look bad.
    ...and it makes it very hard for people with genuine concerns/questions find actual legitimate information.
    That's how false "information" spreads it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Most of the things young women drink in pubs are clearly more dangerous than the vaccine.

..and interestingly nobody's afraid of microchips in various implants, botox, etc...
    Even some of the chemicals used in hair dye enter your bloodstream. Why no deliberate poison in that?
    I keep asking these questions whenever I encounter a "useless goverment"/"I won't take a microchip" type of person and they never cared to answer me in any meaningful way.

Advertisement