Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

robinbird wrote: »
    Rough estimate of figures for July. Open to correction.

MVC capacity. 300,000 per week. So 1,200,000 per month.

Doses to be administered.
    Over 60s 2nd AZ - 200,000
    34-49 First Pfizer/Moderna- 140,000
    34-49 Second Pfizer/Moderna. 400,000

So capacity left of approx 450,000

18-34s
    Number in group. Approx 1,000,000
    Number who will take vaccine 800,000
    Number in group already done by GPs 200,000
    Jansen through pharmacies. 150,000

So approx 450,000 left for MVCs

I havent looked at figures recently but id imagine Pfizer/Moderna second doses will be a fair bit higher than that.

Pharmacies (around 300) are administering Pfizer too to the tune of about 10,000 a week and to potentially rise from next week 20,000 a week unless that changes due to Janssen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

"Nobody is forcing you to take anything, but if you refuse to take it you might not get to see the inside of a pub before 2022"

Not forced indeed.

Hyperbole and you left out the bit about people waiting a little longer for Pfizer. Literally nobody is being forced to take JJ/AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Lumen wrote: »
    Yeah, because most of the highest risk people are vaccinated.

Look, do whatever you like. Judging by the last few posts the antivax regulars are piling back in, so I'm out.

I think this is the issue, everyone is being labelled antivax for voicing any concern.
    As I've said I've taken my first dose of Pfizer but I think the risk factor for under 40s is relatively low for Covid to begin with.

There are an awful lot of unknowns, how long it lasts, immunity to variants. Long-term side affects etc. Discussion on mixing vaccines , allowing under 40 the astra vax shows me this is still very immature.

Getting covid is a risk , getting the vaccine is also a risk. It's a personal choice , as I say my wife had Covid and was fine. Hope the vaccine safety long term is okay. It's still emergency use approved by FDA after all. But people shud be allowed to discuss it.
    Swine flu vax done damage in past and everyone thought was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What's a CVC?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

duffman13 wrote: »
    I havent looked at figures recently but id imagine Pfizer/Moderna second doses will be a fair bit higher than that.

Pharmacies (around 300) are administering Pfizer too to the tune of about 10,000 a week and to potentially rise from next week 20,000 a week unless that changes due to Janssen

Disregarding some variables. So increase 2nd 34-49 doses needed to 600,000. 100,000 of these would be done through GPs /Pharmacies. So 500,000 left for MVCs.
    Discounting any AZ first doses.

34-49 Second Pfizer/Moderna. 500,000

So capacity left of approx 350,000

18-34s
    Number in group. Approx 800,000
    Number who will take vaccine 700,000

So approx 350,000 left for MVCs

So maximum numbers of Pfizer/Moderna doses needed in July would be 1,000,000
    Pfizer/Moderna deliveries in July would be at least 1,000,000.
    And we have unknown amounts of Pfizer/Moderna in storage.
    Govt won't release figures but 600,000 Pfizer delivered in last week alone.

So why of earth are we buying 1,000,000 extra nearly expired Pfizer from Romania.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

john_doe. wrote: »
    I think this is the issue, everyone is being labelled antivax for voicing any concern.

Sure, nobody admits to being an antivaxxer, because it's rightly become synonymous with idiocy.

So instead we have "concerns". Whatever. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Sure, nobody admits to being an antivaxxer, because it's rightly become synonymous with idiocy.

I do think that is equally idiotic.
    Can people not have genuine concerns about a vaccine that is under emergency use approval.
    What exactly is an antivaxxer..

Lack of actual intelligent debate is dumbfounding, but emojis and eye roles clearly cover it.

I do think that is equally idiotic.
    Can people not have genuine concerns about a vaccine that is under emergency use approval.
    What exactly is an antivaxxer..

Lack of actual intelligent debate is dumbfounding, but emojis and eye roles clearly cover it.
    A common tactic. Same way as in the US anyone that raises concerns about control of govt by corporations can be labelled a QAnon, conspiracy theory insurrectionist by media shills like our Donie.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Disregarding some variables. So increase 2nd 34-49 doses needed to 600,000. 100,000 of these would be done through GPs /Pharmacies. So 500,000 left for MVCs.

18-34s

So why of earth are we buying 1,000,000 extra nearly expired Pfizer from Romania.?

I'm sure there's others but the very first problem I see with your figures is that you have not included for 40-44 year olds who will also require a 2nd dose in July.

JP100 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's others but the very first problem I see with your figures is that you have not included for 40-44 year olds who will also require a 2nd dose in July.

Included in 500,000 of 35-49s that will need second Pfizer) Moderna in July. That though might likely be an overestimation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

angela1711 wrote: »
    Has anyone any good source of information re the Moderna vaccine? As in effectiveness, side effects how it comperes to the other vaccines ? You hear a lot about all the other vaccines but not much is mentioned about Moderna. How effective is it against the Delta variant ?

My husband is somewhat vaccine hesitant and it took me a few weeks to talk him into registering. I was almost certain that he will get offered Pfizer (the only vaccines he is willing to take) but the text came yesterday, offering Moderna. He is about to cancel the appointment so just want some reliable information re Moderna.

On the other side if he does decide to cancel/postpone his appointment is there a chance he might be offered Pfizer? He is in the 40-45 age bracket if that's of any importance.

There's almost no difference between Pfizer and Moderna in terms of efficacy and side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Has anyone managed to rebook cancelled boots appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

Anyone else think this is some load of crap that 35-39 year olds who have no appointment from the HSE have to wait 35 days to be fully vaxxed but an 18 year old can walk into a pharmacy on Monday and be done with it and be fully vaxxed 14 days later?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/around-145000-people-awaiting-vaccine-appointment-ineligible-for-jj-1219872

I'm supposed to be on a plane beginning of August and now I'm in the position of having to go half protected or not going all because the HSE bureaucracy won't let me get a J&J shot.

Blah blah keep things in perspective, blah loss, blah blah not the end of the world *grumbles*

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd be doing that if I was in the 30-34 when that opens.

Biggest issue is I've seen the same names in multiple stores in the booking system and id imagine these people registered in multiple chains/pharmacies so the no show rate might be worrying. Still given the interest, I can't see a wasted vaccine in pharmacy over the next 3 weeks at least
    I've registered at multiple pharmacies and I'll just take whichever offers me an appointment first and cancel the others so someone else can get it, nothing wrong with that. I'll also be registering on the hse portal as soon as its open and take whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

cgcsb wrote: »
    I've registered at multiple pharmacies and I'll just take whichever offers me an appointment first and cancel the others so someone else can get it, nothing wrong with that. I'll also be registering on the hse portal as soon as its open and take whichever comes first.

Incredible.

You do realise an actual person has to cancel your other appointments. Can you not just wait rather than inundating various places which are already run off their feet? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone else think this is some load of crap that 35-39 year olds who have no appointment from the HSE have to wait 35 days to be fully vaxxed but an 18 year old can walk into a pharmacy on Monday and be done with it and be fully vaxxed 14 days later?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/around-145000-people-awaiting-vaccine-appointment-ineligible-for-jj-1219872

I'm supposed to be on a plane beginning of August and now I'm in the position of having to go half protected or not going all because the HSE bureaucracy won't let me get a J&J shot.

Blah blah keep things in perspective, blah loss, blah blah not the end of the world *grumbles*

You can walk into the pharmacy too or am I missing something ?

newboard wrote: »
    Vaccined this morning, a co-worker said that if I'm getting vaccined they don't want to work in the same place as me for 2 weeks but won't say why, any ideas?

Your co-worker is a fruitcake. Inform your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well is everyone who is unvax, not taking a vaccine for any reason or delaying taking it for any reason or giving any thought to side effects, an "anti-vaxxer" in your opinion?

JC01 wrote: »
    Pop in and out of this forum every now and then for a look at general consensus as much as anything.

Seems the mood is very strongly pro severe lockdowns, vaccine programmes etc in here but am I the only one who thinks it’s very odd that the thread on people not taking the vaccine was closed down as “there’s a spot in the conspiracy theory section for that kind of talk”?

Is there no room at all for some debate on the topic?
    I’ve 0 interest in giving ant-vaxxers a platform but the OP in that other post didn’t mention anything about conspiracies at all just mentioned they wouldn’t be taking the vaccine until more information and data was available.
    This thread has been a great resource of information for me and many others trying to get the vaccine as quick as possible. I, and assume most others, don't want pages wasted with irrelevant 'debates' about conspiracies. I'd go to conspiracy thread if I wanted to read that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

God some people are never happy, are they? God forbid that someone younger than you might get a different vaccine a couple of weeks sooner because the government (cleverly) has rolled out a two stream opt in system in order to try to vaccinate some people from the younger cohorts faster.

Remember, someone 5 years younger than you shares almost the same risk profile when it comes to COVID as you’re both young. The age based system was rolled out because at the higher ages, risk increases rapidly from 50s into 60s into 70s etc. It was not introduced so that a 35 year old could jet off before a 34 year old; it’s an unfortunate consequence that younger people who don’t get fully vaccinated before late September will have to bear another summer without a holiday unless they want to go through the risk of unvaccinated travel and potentially having to quarantine if they catch the disease.

This JnJ/AZ opt in for under 34s is an attempt to give some of those younger people the opportunity to take advantage of the “vaccine bonus” this summer without risk of spreading delta, which is spreading rapidly in younger cohorts. Someone in the 35-39 category will still be getting their MRNA vaccine very, very shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

km79 wrote: »
    You can walk into the pharmacy too or am I missing something ?

If you are 35-49 you are not allowed to take the J&J vaccine.

Swaine wrote: »
    Incredible.

You do realise an actual person has to cancel your other appointments. Can you not just wait rather than inundating various places which are already run off their feet? :rolleyes:

No big deal, they just have to answer the phone and click cancel on their booking system, takes 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

18-34s

Promised is not delivered and probably because a lot more than you. MVCs can do more if they have more shots. Shots in arms starting now rather than at the end of August. Don't forget the large bunch of kids who'll be done in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

newboard wrote: »
    Vaccined this morning, a co-worker said that if I'm getting vaccined they don't want to work in the same place as me for 2 weeks but won't say why, any ideas?

Yes I know what this is. He thinks that you will be "shedding" for two weeks and he will suffer whatever side effects from the vaccine you might or might not have.

P.s. don't shoot the messenger, I'm helping you out with an explanation not presenting it as my own opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Swaine wrote: »
    Incredible.

The pharmacy's are being paid to do this. No sympathy for people 'run off their feet'.

Anyone who wants to be vaccinated ASAP should register everywhere they can!

FrStone wrote: »
    The pharmacy's are being paid to do this. No sympathy for people 'run off their feet'.

As far as I am aware pharmacies should have access to a centralised database so should be able to check for those registering for a vaccine in multiple pharmacies.
    There will be those that think that the more vaccines they get the more protected they will be.

This might also be the logic behind not letting 35-39s who are registered and waiting for Pfizer through MVCs get Jansen through pharmacies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

FrStone wrote: »

Totally agree, do what you can to get in as early as possible. I registered with a few pharmacies yesterday, got a call late last night from the first place I registered with for the J&J on Monday, cancelled the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

blackcard wrote: »
    Grand. Tell them that you are staying put and they can work elsewhere ⁸

Then go behind their back and tell their manager that he is refusing to work with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

growleaves wrote: »
    Yes I know what this is. He thinks that you will be "shedding" for two weeks and he will suffer whatever side effects from the vaccine you might or might not have.

P.s. don't shoot the messenger, I'm helping you out with an explanation not presenting it as my own opinion

Thank you, I suspected it was going to be something like this unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Getting covid is a risk , getting the vaccine is also a risk. .
    This known as a false equivalency.

It's like saying "Walking on the motorway is risky, but walking on the path is also risky, therefore it's perfectly rational to choose one or the other"

Covid: 183m cases, 4m deaths
    Vaccine: 3.2bn doses, 1,000 deaths, maybe?

The risk profiles aren't even on the same planet

Advertisement