Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

cgcsb wrote: »
    I've registered at multiple pharmacies and I'll just take whichever offers me an appointment first and cancel the others so someone else can get it, nothing wrong with that. I'll also be registering on the hse portal as soon as its open and take whichever comes first.

I've no issues if you actually cancel but the majority of people in my experience aren't decent enough to cancel free appointments but it also increases workloads for everyone involved. People are keen to get the vaccine, not a bad thing at all and I'd very much register with a pharmacy and the HSE myself just not multiple pharmacies

Every pharmacy regardless of size Is getting 50 vaccines, smaller pharmacies are your best bet tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

newboard wrote: »
    Vaccined this morning, a co-worker said that if I'm getting vaccined they don't want to work in the same place as me for 2 weeks but won't say why, any ideas?

Tell them cheerio so, they can work out of their car or shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

seamus wrote: »
    This known as a false equivalency.

It's like saying "Walking on the motorway is risky, but walking on the path is also risky, therefore it's perfectly rational to choose one or the other"

Covid: 183m cases, 4m deaths
    Vaccine: 3.2bn doses, 1,000 deaths, maybe?

The risk profiles aren't even on the same planet

That's a valid point.
    But u're not guaranteed to get Covid as the starting point of the risk profile.

So I think better comparison would be :
    Deaths/complications in under 40 for Covid
    Adverse effects in under 40s for vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

john_doe. wrote: »
    That's a valid point.
    But u're not guaranteed to get Covid as the starting point of the risk profile.

So I think better comparison would be :
    Deaths/complications in under 40 for Covid
    Adverse effects in under 40s for vaccine

Looking at some studies under 40s is 0.1 % and that's not filtering for underline health condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Get the jab done
    Weekend vaccine clinics in Northern Ireland
    Just walk in with ID and get vaccine of choice.

How far realistically are we away from that here. Perhaps two to three weeks?

Number of eligible 18-34 year olds - 800,000
    Already done through GPs - 200,000
    Remaining 600,000
    Number who would take vaccine 500,000

35-44 years olds registered awaiting vaccine 130,000

So maybe 630,000 first doses left to do.

With pharmacies set to give 150,000 Jansen over new few weeks
    GPs to give maybe 100,000 first doses
    300 pharmacies to give up to 100,000 pfizer .
    That only leaves about 300,000 for the MVCs maximum.

By next Friday 35-44 yrs old first doses substantially completed
    Maybe 100K 30-34 year old might register. A week later open MVC registration to everyone over 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was speaking to someone who works in a pharmacy in Bishopstown, Cork. 40 appointments available for the vaccine. Waiting list of over 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

john_doe. wrote: »
    I think this is the issue, everyone is being labelled antivax for voicing any concern.
    As I've said I've taken my first dose of Pfizer but I think the risk factor for under 40s is relatively low for Covid to begin with.

There are an awful lot of unknowns, how long it lasts, immunity to variants. Long-term side affects etc. Discussion on mixing vaccines , allowing under 40 the astra vax shows me this is still very immature.

Getting covid is a risk , getting the vaccine is also a risk. It's a personal choice , as I say my wife had Covid and was fine. Hope the vaccine safety long term is okay. It's still emergency use approved by FDA after all. But people shud be allowed to discuss it.
    Swine flu vax done damage in past and everyone thought was safe.
    This just seems like an anti-vax post in disguise. The pandemerix vaccine was made a totally different way to covid, and the issues with that and children were identified in a couple of months. The approved vaccines have been studied over more than a year now, the technology behind them for like a decade, and any identified risks are minimal and mainly affect younger people or the terminally-ill (who are no longer given it if they exceed a "frailty" score).

The risk from any of the vaccines is incomparable to the risk of covid, all the long term conditions that come from covid too, it's a completely flawed risk assessment if that's how you view it. All you're doing is looking at a few hypotheticals and ignoring the obvious benefits both for you and for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Was speaking to someone who works in a pharmacy in Bishopstown, Cork. 40 appointments available for the vaccine. Waiting list of over 500.
    I got a call from my pharmacy, 50 doses per store and they had 20,000 applications across the 9 branches in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

This thread has been a great resource of information for me and many others trying to get the vaccine as quick as possible. I, and assume most others, don't want pages wasted with irrelevant 'debates' about conspiracies. I'd go to conspiracy thread if I wanted to read that stuff.

Which is why I find it odd that the mods decided to close down the other thread discussing people not taking the vaccine. Now all these “anti-Vax” posts are in this thread instead.

Do you think everyone who won’t take the vaccine is automatically an anti vaxxer conspiracy theorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Would it have made sense to let the Army in on the vaccinations at this point, set up centre's nationwide get it done quickly and efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

anyone know what age they are down to for second vax of astra zeneca ,??
    mother and father 64 and 59 still waiting, both past the 8 week stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would it have made sense to let the Army in on the vaccinations at this point, set up centre's nationwide get it done quickly and efficiently.

Lots of army personal in City West . I didnt see what role they were playing but they were definitely there in some capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Call from Boots.

J&J appointment confirmed for Tuesday.

Age 32, appointment in Tipperary.

So they ain't all cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

shmeee wrote: »
    Call from Boots.

J&J appointment confirmed for Tuesday.

Age 32, appointment in Tipperary.

So they ain't all cancelled.
    Might be worth throwing that into the appointment thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058184723&page=315 as a lot of people will no doubt be checking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Should I have a few Paracetamol before and after the jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Acosta wrote: »

Wouldn't take it before at all and tbh even after is dependent on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Army are still heavily involved in testing. There aren't that many of them!

robinbird wrote: »
    Get the jab done
    Weekend vaccine clinics in Northern Ireland
    Just walk in with ID and get vaccine of choice.

How far realistically are we away from that here. Perhaps two to three weeks?

Number of eligible 18-34 year olds - 800,000
    Already done through GPs - 200,000
    Remaining 600,000
    Number who would take vaccine 500,000

35-44 years olds registered awaiting vaccine 130,000

So maybe 630,000 first doses left to do.

With pharmacies set to give 150,000 Jansen over new few weeks
    GPs to give maybe 100,000 first doses
    300 pharmacies to give up to 100,000 pfizer .
    That only leaves about 300,000 for the MVCs maximum.

By next Friday 35-44 yrs old first doses substantially completed
    Maybe 100K 30-34 year old might register. A week later open MVC registration to everyone over 18.

If you take a 95% uptake rate, we have about 1.1m adults left to vaccinate, and about 750,000 waiting on a second dose. If you give 300,000 of the unvaccinated J & J, that leaves 2.35m doses left to give. If we can get up to 500,000 a week we could be done with adults by late August.

I would expect though once you get over the 90% mark things will slow a fair bit, just as you may be getting to the point where people are either not going to take it or aren't particularly motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I was in a pharmacy last weekend picking up some paracetamol. Was told not to take it before the vaccine and my side effects were minimal that I didn't need it after the vaccine either. Worth having a box at home just in case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

duffman13 wrote: »
    I've no issues if you actually cancel but the majority of people in my experience aren't decent enough to cancel free appointments but it also increases workloads for everyone involved. People are keen to get the vaccine, not a bad thing at all and I'd very much register with a pharmacy and the HSE myself just not multiple pharmacies

Every pharmacy regardless of size Is getting 50 vaccines, smaller pharmacies are your best bet tbh

I've no guarantee that any one pharmacy will ever have a dose for me. Of course I'd cancel the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

If you take a 95% uptake rate, we have about 1.1m adults left to vaccinate, and about 750,000 waiting on a second dose. If you give 300,000 of the unvaccinated J & J, that leaves 2.35m doses left to give. If we can get up to 500,000 a week we could be done with adults by late August.

I would expect though once you get over the 90% mark things will slow a fair bit, just as you may be getting to the point where people are either not going to take it or aren't particularly motivated.

No. We don't.
    First doses only.
    There are 130k 35-44 yrs olds registered left to do which should be done next week.
    After that there is only the 18-34 yr olds
    Figure for this cohort is 800k. However about at least 20% have already been done through GPs over last few months.
    So number left is far less. Thats why HSEs talk of opening up portal to 20s in August makes no sense.

Second doses to do in July is approx 700,000. (200,000AZ, 500,000 34-49s)
    So if we can manage 350,000 a week for July between MVCs, Pharmacies and GPs combined then no reason we shouldn't be clear by end July.
    With only second doses left for Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No. We don't.
    First doses only.
    There are 130k 35-44 yrs olds registered left to do which should be done next week.
    Figure for this cohort is 800k. However about at least 20% have already been done through GPs over last few months.
    So number left is far less. Thats why HSEs talk of opening up portal to 20s in August makes no sense.

According to the CSO estimates I have there are a little over 1m 18-34s.

Age group Thousands
    15 - 19 years 323.9
    20 - 24 years 307.2
    25 - 29 years 292.2
    30 - 34 years 324

No. We don't.
    First doses only.

Okay, you're not looking at population number. We have 3.8 million adults in the country, we have given 2.5m of them at least one dose, and around 1.7m are fully vaccinated. In total that leaves 1.3m unvaccinated and around 800,000 partially vaccinated. There's still a bit to go but that 1m from Romania could be key in getting this done by the end of August (for adults anyway).

JC01 wrote: »
    Which is why I find it odd that the mods decided to close down the other thread discussing people not taking the vaccine. Now all these “anti-Vax” posts are in this thread instead.

Do you think everyone who won’t take the vaccine is automatically an anti vaxxer conspiracy theorist?

More less, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's still a bit to go but that 1m from Romania could be key in getting this done by the end of August (for adults anyway).
    It's also worth bearing in mind that NIAC advice is still to use mRNA vaccines where available, so it makes sense (for now) for the govt to acquire as much of it as possible.

Soldiers already out in force doing jabs

I think we should have a collective demonstration to thank our wise and benevolent governors who, a scant 188 days after the first vaccines were administered in the EU have now hit on the genius idea of asking other EU countries if they've any spare.

Unfortunately in the same week as their own CMO trashed the vaccine campaign and said they didn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

More less, yes.

Very weird viewpoint. 3 years ago if someone said they wouldn’t bother with the flu jab would you automatically assume the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dont take it before.
    Have it handy in case you need it afterwards.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement