Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JC01 wrote: »
    Very weird viewpoint. 3 years ago if someone said they wouldn’t bother with the flu jab would you automatically assume the same thing?

If there were a flu pandemic of a particularly aggressive strain as there was in 1969/1970 then yes I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

cgcsb wrote: »
    Soldiers already out in force doing jabs

They are testing and involved in logistics but they are not administering vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Lumen wrote: »
    According to the CSO estimates I have there are a little over 1m 18-34s.

Age group Thousands
    15 - 19 years 323.9
    20 - 24 years 307.2
    25 - 29 years 292.2
    30 - 34 years 324

Okay, you're not looking at population number. We have 3.8 million adults in the country, we have given 2.5m of them at least one dose, and around 1.7m are fully vaccinated. In total that leaves 1.3m unvaccinated and around 800,000 partially vaccinated. There's still a bit to go but that 1m from Romania could be key in getting this done by the end of August (for adults anyway).

OK. You're correct. According to Donnelly there are 800,000 left in the 18-34 cohort left to be offered vaccine. So approx 200,000 of them have already been done through a GP. Add this to the 130,000 35-44s registered left to do and the numbers remaining are approx 930,000.
    I am discounting the over 35s that have for whatever reason not taken up the offer to register for a vaccine which would account for difference with CSO figures

Given vaccine hesitancy in the 18-34 cohort I think it reasonable to reduce the figure by approx 200,000. That would give an uptake in this cohort of approx 80%. That might be optimistic

So 730,000 first doses to be done in July in addition to 700,000 approx second doses.

At 350,000 a week between MVCs, pharmacies and GPs combined no reason this can't be cleared by end July.

Buying the romanian Pfizer means that the plan is to start vaccinating children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JPA wrote: »
    They are testing and involved in logistics but they are not administering vaccines.

No they are also administering vaccines. I seen them at Citywest and and at UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The whole 50 per pharmacy seems to be a bit shït.
    The logistics of dividing them up and then delivering them seems a pain in the hole.

Must be a better way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The logistics of dividing them up and then delivering them seems a pain in the hole.

Must be a better way.

Mass vaccination centres. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Must be a better way.

I think they come in packs of 10 vials with 5 or so doses per vial.

50 or denominations of 50 would therefore be the easiest way to do it.

Only so many doses available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Must be a better way.

They should have given priority to the ones who used the full allocation for over 50s to be honest and then majority request based. I dont know a single pharmacy who wouldn't take 200 units next week in one delivery. Stock is good for until August/September so 50 a week is a joke

I think they come in packs of 10 vials with 5 or so doses per vial.

50 or denominations of 50 would therefore be the easiest way to do it.

Only so many doses available.

Currently guaranteed stocks for the next 3-4 weeks so just shifting them out in one delivery would be better logistically from everyone's POV

duffman13 wrote: »
    They should have given priority to the ones who used the full allocation for over 50s to be honest and then majority request based. I dont know a single pharmacy who wouldn't take 200 units next week in one delivery. Stock is good for until August/September so 50 a week is a joke

According to Donnelly pharmacies have 53,000 Jansen in stock and a further 70,000 are available for distribution at short notice on request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

This just seems like an anti-vax post in disguise. The pandemerix vaccine was made a totally different way to covid, and the issues with that and children were identified in a couple of months. The approved vaccines have been studied over more than a year now, the technology behind them for like a decade, and any identified risks are minimal and mainly affect younger people or the terminally-ill (who are no longer given it if they exceed a "frailty" score).

The risk from any of the vaccines is incomparable to the risk of covid, all the long term conditions that come from covid too, it's a completely flawed risk assessment if that's how you view it. All you're doing is looking at a few hypotheticals and ignoring the obvious benefits both for you and for society.

Problem is everything is labelled an anti vax post that disagrees with people's sentiments.
    People have a pre conceived position on the vaccine and will defend it as they don't want to recognise their own risk by taking it or not taking and hoping they have done the right thing.

Personally I have taken it , so not sure how I'm anti vax. However to question the vaccine risk vs Covid I would thought would be reasonable given the low impact to under 40s from Covid to begin with. Also coupled with various unknows , we may need a booster , we may be able to mix them.
    It's very clear to me this is still an emerging vaccine that is approved for emergency use with quite a lot of unknows. Coupled with the fact they are multiples of vaccines.

Dismissing people's post as anti vax is I think is very short sighted. I'm sure there are a lot of real anti vaxers that wouldn't take it of they were 10 year safety profiles. Also the defenses raised by people like most things in life now have to be either one side of the fence or not. It's unfortunate people can't have an open mind any longer and just dig into position.

As I've said I've taken it, mainly to get back to some form of society.

robinbird wrote: »
    According to Donnelly pharmacies have 53,000 Jansen in stock and a further 70,000 are available for distribution at short notice on request.

Having made multiple requests yesterday, I was greeted with "every pharmacy will receive 50 doses per week" response each time despite having a large list do many multiples of this

Pharmacies recieved 50 doses by 750 stores as far as I'm aware so not sure on the 53,000 number. Originally just under 1100 pharmacies were selecting with a over 300 pulling out over a fear of wastage in the over 50s cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Must be a better way.

It allows it to be pushed out to more local venues. Lots of people having to travel 45-80kms to a mass vacc centre is not good for the environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Acosta wrote: »
    Should I have a few Paracetamol before and after the jab?

No. The WHO repeated that citizens are not advised to take painkillers before a jab as it might impact the efficacy of the vaccine.

"Taking painkillers such as paracetamol before receiving the COVID-19 vaccine to prevent side effects is not recommended," said a spokesperson.

"This is because it is not known how painkillers may affect how well the vaccine works."

After the jab is fine if you develop side effects and need relief. Wait to see do you need it before taking it.

I've no issues if you actually cancel but the majority of people in my experience aren't decent enough to cancel free appointments but it also increases workloads for everyone involved. People are keen to get the vaccine, not a bad thing at all and I'd very much register with a pharmacy and the HSE myself just not multiple pharmacies

Every pharmacy regardless of size Is getting 50 vaccines, smaller pharmacies are your best bet tbh

Plus once the shot is drawn it needs to be delivered in 3 hours. A few idiots who fail to cancel multiple appointments and the wastage, in terms of shots and appointments, will Mount up. There probably aren’t many St Gerard’s schoolteachers available to absorb them this time!

robinbird wrote: »
    Buying the romanian Pfizer means that the plan is to start vaccinating children.

I disagree, for a couple of reasons. Firstly...
    Lumen wrote: »
    It's also worth bearing in mind that NIAC advice is still to use mRNA vaccines where available, so it makes sense (for now) for the govt to acquire as much of it as possible.

...and secondly, if we want to avoid vaccinating children and cannot tolerate either endless infection controls in school or naturally acquired immunity through infection, then we're going to need near 100% vaccine coverage of all 3.8m adults.

According to my maths, that requires something over 7m doses, even with Janssen. We're currently at 4.3m. So there's still almost 3m doses to go.

Whether we can achieve that level of vaccine coverage is, strictly speaking, unknowable. We know that vaccine hesitancy tends to be eroded as the rollout continues, and it's possible that we could appeal to the remaining hesitant (and mostly childless) adults to get vaccinated to reduce the number of kids that get infected (or need to be vaccinated). Would such a campaign work? Honestly don't know. People are surprising in both negative and positive ways.

And to be clear, I honestly don't know how risk/reward works for vaccinating children, although I posted some stuff in the schools thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭munster87

Great to see the pharmacies getting going with my age group. I have registered. Unsure whether to take J&J or hang on for the Pfizer, are there more pros of either? Hearing of people who got the J&J getting boosters of other vaccines due to variants. I’d like to just get it done asap and that’s looking like J&J so.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Plus once the shot is drawn it needs to be delivered in 3 hours. A few idiots who fail to cancel multiple appointments and the wastage, in terms of shots and appointments, will Mount up. There probably aren’t many St Gerard’s schoolteachers available to absorb them this time!

Yeah I think the standard procedure will be calls to confirm appointments the morning of/day before to limit wastage which I don't believe will be an issue in the first few weeks anyway.

If anyone is wanting one badly, call your nearest pharmacy to your job/home if you can get there at the drop of a hat, you'll probably get on a no show list

munster87 wrote: »
    Great to see the pharmacy’s getting going with my age group. I have registered. Unsure whether to take J&J or hang on for the Pfizer, are there more pros of either? Hearing of people who got the J&J getting boosters of other vaccines due to variants. I’d like to just get it done asap and that’s looking like J&J so.

I would get J&J now and then one of the mRNA vaccines later when there's excess supply.

Reason being that you get to a higher level of protection sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Great to see the pharmacy’s getting going with my age group. I have registered. Unsure whether to take J&J or hang on for the Pfizer, are there more pros of either? Hearing of people who got the J&J getting boosters of other vaccines due to variants. I’d like to just get it done asap and that’s looking like J&J so.

In terms of the Delta virus, if we assume J & J recipients get a follow up dose of an mRNA dose later this year, I would say by all means take the J & J if offered it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Latest J&J data shows it performing very well againstAl variants including data, long term protection is also looking very good. A booster for J&J is by no means a sure thing at all

Yeah I think the standard procedure will be calls to confirm appointments the morning of/day before to limit wastage which I don't believe will be an issue in the first few weeks anyway.

If anyone is wanting one badly, call your nearest pharmacy to your job/home if you can get there at the drop of a hat, you'll probably get on a no show list

Still won’t be permitted for 37 year olds. He was teg’d and high on pharmacy waiting list but they’ve been instructed to vaccinated under 35s and over 50s only. You couldn’t make it up. I’m fully done but it would be nice for both to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

My wife is getting second jab at mvc Monday. She just got the questionnaire text

I have it in my head that I read here a few times that if she completes it the appointment can end up getting cancelled in error ?
    Am I going mad or is she better not to fill it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just got for a call for a J&J dose in a Dublin (chain) Pharmacy on Tuesday - absolutely delighted :)

The guy said that their pharmacy had 2000+ people register on Friday :eek:

That's great news. I used to work in one of the chain pharmacies (the english one with the green logo, not the one named after footwear) and rang them at 9.05 on Friday, got through no bother and put my name down. Text my brother and he tried them a few mins later and the phone was engaged solidly for the next 6 hours. I don't envy any of the pharmacy staff that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

km79 wrote: »
    My wife is getting second jab at mvc Monday. She just got the questionnaire text

I have it in my head that I read here a few times that if she completes it the appointment can end up getting cancelled in error ?
    Am I going mad or is she better not to fill it ?

I've just heard on the radio that they're rolling out texts to everyone to speed up the process in the mvcs. If you don't consent you're appointment will be cancelled. Hopefully they've fixed any glitches, where people's appointments were cancelled, if they're trying to get everyone to do this.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Still won’t be permitted for 37 year olds. He was teg’d and high on pharmacy waiting list but they’ve been instructed to vaccinated under 35s and over 50s only. You couldn’t make it up. I’m fully done but it would be nice for both to be done.

Makes sense. Most of those 37s will have an appointment at a MVC. If they were allowed to register at pharmacy as well they would be a no show at one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So with the extra million doses from Romania, and existing confirmed supplies, are we looking at vaccinating 500-600k people per week later in July? Will the MVCs have capacity to vaccinate that kind of number? Will more MVCs be opened or will the GP system be leveraged further?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I've just heard on the radio that they're rolling out texts to everyone to speed up the process in the mvcs. If you don't consent you're appointment will be cancelled. Hopefully they've fixed any glitches, where people's appointments were cancelled, if they're trying to get everyone to do this.

Anyone else heard this? Is it confirmed? Could lead to a huge number of cancellations potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Can anybody answer this question for me ?
    My mother got the first dose of the A.Z vaccine ,
    She would prefer to get a pfizer vaccine for second dose , as she has read that the mixing of vaccines provides greater immunity to delta variant . She is due to get second dose of A.Z vaccine next Thursday , can she refuse and request Pfizer ?

I have tried to find out by searching online but all the results are for outside of Ireland . Are we currently mixing vaccine types here at all?

T.I.A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

JPup wrote: »
    Anyone else heard this? Is it confirmed? Could lead to a huge number of cancellations potentially.

Not the most reliable source but this is pretty much what I heard today. They're just trying to speed everything up

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/covid-vaccine-ireland-hse-issue-24452866

Advertisement