Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Lumen wrote: »
    Mass vaccination centres. :D

...and re-purpose the already established HSE Covid Testing Centres to give vaccinations (just my idea, haven't seen any official discussion of this ).

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/testing/walk-in-test-centres/

Lots of them up and running, surely it's a logical step - especially large counties with few MVC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

EU vaccine stats updated:

Country per capita
    Malta 153
    Belgium 95.5
    Cyprus 93.5
    Netherlands 93
    Spain 91.5
    Germany 90.5
    Portugal 90
    Luxembourg 89.5
    Austria 88.5
    Italy 87
    Lithuania 85.5
    Ireland 85
    Greece 82
    Sweden 81
    France 80.5
    Finland 80.5
    Czech Rep 79
    Poland 78
    Slovenia 73.5
    Estonia 73
    Denmark 70.5
    Slovakia 67
    Croatia 64
    Latvia 62
    Romania 47
    Bulgaria 25.5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Skygord wrote: »
    ...and re-purpose the already established HSE Covid Testing Centres to give vaccinations (just my idea, haven't seen any official discussion of this ).

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/testing/walk-in-test-centres/

Lots of them up and running, surely it's a logical step - especially large counties with few MVC's?

Vaccinators are the biggest issue, not so much locations

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

duffman13 wrote: »

A huge issue was that they didn’t allow part time vaccinators apparently . Many applied to do weekends or evenings or three days a week but were rejected . They could have doubled the amount of vaccinators if it was allowed
    I stand corrected if the remedied that but it was definitely an issue in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Based on my experience in 2 MVCs (Aviva and Greystones) the process can be made more efficient. The vaccinators are presumably only uniquely qualified to do the jabbing, which takes a couple of seconds, but spent a couple of minutes doing data entry/verification on tablets which could be done by any number of presumably literate people standing around doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Juza1973

I'd be surprised if Curevac features at this stage. Pfizer deal has sown up supply for the foreseeable and unless Curevac is on stream in the next week or two then it'll be very low numbers that would be getting it.

I would jump the gun to get it, for ethical reasons

Based on my experience in 2 MVCs (Aviva and Greystones) the process can be made more efficient. The vaccinators are presumably only uniquely qualified to do the jabbing, which takes a couple of seconds, but spent a couple of minutes doing data entry/verification on tablets which could be done by any number of presumably literate people standing around doing nothing.

In City west another person in the cubicle asked the questions and entered them while the vaccinator set up .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In City west another person in the cubicle asked the questions and entered them while the vaccinator set up .

Same in Nenagh

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I was one of 9 people last to be vaccinated midweek in the Helix.
    Supervisor called for 2 more vials. She had been counting numbers for the last 20 minutes to limit wastage I suppose.
    She (fairly confidently) assumed 14 doses and directed someone to bring in 3 (at first) from the approx 30 people hanging around hopefully outside.
    Vaccinated 10 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

A huge issue was that they didn’t allow part time vaccinators apparently . Many applied to do weekends or evenings or three days a week but were rejected . They could have doubled the amount of vaccinators if it was allowed
    I stand corrected if the remedied that but it was definitely an issue in the beginning

They subbed a lot out through agencies, the going rate was below a lot regular hourly rates along with the scheduling issues you mentioned around part time. The part time thing varies though from centre to centre. Asking a physio/dentist/pharmacist to jump through hoops for €22 an hours when they are getting a lot more for locum work was mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

JPup wrote: »
    Anyone else heard this? Is it confirmed? Could lead to a huge number of cancellations potentially.

I dont think it means they’ll cancel your appt if you dont answer the questions online ahead of your appt…..it means if you answer NO to the consent question, they’ll cancel your appointment. Basically they’re warning people if they fill in the questionnaire online, they need to make sure and answer yes to the Consent question. A mix up like that could easily be rectified if you were answering the q’s in person at the MVC, but online it’ll cancel your appt.

ETA.. I just did mine online on my phone. You could very easily hit the wrong button by accident. Maybe that’s why some people had their appts cancelled, might be nothing to do with a glitch and just simple human error.

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Can anybody answer this question for me ?
    My mother got the first dose of the A.Z vaccine ,
    She would prefer to get a pfizer vaccine for second dose , as she has read that the mixing of vaccines provides greater immunity to delta variant . She is due to get second dose of A.Z vaccine next Thursday , can she refuse and request Pfizer ?

I have tried to find out by searching online but all the results are for outside of Ireland . Are we currently mixing vaccine types here at all?

T.I.A

No.

And the difference is marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Smooth as silk in City West for 2nd vac. Fair play to the army medical corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I thought they were allowing part time vaccinators.

Leo was doing it part time. I know a gp and a pharmacist who were doing it part time.

I am aware thay they weren't allowig people who work full time HSE roles do significant extra hours as a vacciantor. I know of a junior doctor who was refused because junior doctors do crazy hours without extra on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not true. I'm doing it part time, as are many, many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The texts for consent / eligibility are intended to reduce this delay a bit, with the person entering their details before attending the MVC.

That said, for most people, it only takes a minute or so to do the data entry / verification on the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

civdef wrote: »
    The texts for consent / eligibility are intended to reduce this delay a bit, with the person entering their details before attending the MVC.

That said, for most people, it only takes a minute or so to do the data entry / verification on the tablet.

I had entered all details requested in the app.

My point is that if vaccinators are the bottleneck, they shouldn't be doing any clerical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I unexpectedly need minor surgery and am awaiting the date - also waiting on my vaccination appointment. Will this affect vaccination - as in will I need to wait any particular period after the surgery for them to vaccinate me? Or will it be OK to go ahead if the vaccine appointment ends up being a day or so after the surgery?

L1011 wrote: »
    Short-dated mRNA vaccines with their comparatively complicated storage and handling requirements are not what you send to countries with non-existent healthcare systems.

An ex-colleague who went back to Bolivia last year got vaccinated with Pfizer in the past few days. They had previously had an embargo on Pfizer for political reasons. In places where they have no healthcare facilities, she said they were just driving the trucks into rural areas and vaccinated the entire community at once. The vaccine doesn't require ultra-cold temperature storage as it had previously; it can now be stored in ordinary fridges for one month.

I'm relating the above example because it's the only example I've heard of, but I'd be very surprised if that kind of delivery isn't being replicated everywhere with weak healthcare infrastructure. It seems like the obvious approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Has the AZ vaccine got a bad rep or why do I not hear about it now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Viability and verification work is occurring with the Romanian doses. Thereafter, shipping to be discussed over coming days as the Sunday Times reports (paywall).
    Work is ongoing to assess the status of up to one million Covid-19 vaccine doses which the government has agreed to purchase from Romania. Arrangements to ship the vaccine will be discussed over the coming days once their viability has been verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cj maxx wrote: »
    Has the AZ vaccine got a bad rep or why do I not hear about it now ?
    There is the clotting issue issue but most of the bad rep is for their inability to deliver reliably. You don't hear about it as we are now moving to the end of its use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I unexpectedly need minor surgery and am awaiting the date - also waiting on my vaccination appointment. Will this affect vaccination - as in will I need to wait any particular period after the surgery for them to vaccinate me? Or will it be OK to go ahead if the vaccine appointment ends up being a day or so after the surgery?

That is something you should ask your doctor.
    For what it's worth, if your procedure is by local anesthetic you should be fine (was in that situation myself) but it’s something to discuss with your doctor, not random people on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Does anybody know why the Helix is not listed anymore:

https://www2.hse.ie/Apps/Services/VaccineClinics.aspx?county=Dublin

(recently announced replacement Swords based MVC not listed yet either)

civdef wrote: »
    Not true. I'm doing it part time, as are many, many others.

Thats good to know . I did say I was happy to corrected if the issue was remedied . There was an issue in the very beginning as I saw people interviewed who couldn’t apply as they only wanted a day or two a week . Glad its sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

She would prefer to get a pfizer vaccine for second dose , as she has read that the mixing of vaccines provides greater immunity to delta variant . She is due to get second dose of A.Z vaccine next Thursday , can she refuse and request Pfizer ?

I have tried to find out by searching online but all the results are for outside of Ireland . Are we currently mixing vaccine types here at all?

T.I.A

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

T.I.A
    No we are not mixing and unless she had a very severe reaction it's AZ again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Same in Nenagh

Same in Cork City Hall - was literally in booth for 2 minutes max

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

T.I.A

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Nobody here is going to give medical advice. You need to consult with your GP or some other qualified medical professional.

Advertisement