Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

is_that_so wrote: »

I read that like it was on the Amazon bargain alert thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Apogee wrote: »
    Reid on RTE This Week
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21977410

50k J+J in stock by pharmacies
    Extra 120k will be delievered to pharmacies next week
    Expect a total of 210k J+J administered in July
    850 pharmacies participating

End of July 68% fully vaccinated by including J+J

68% of adults or population?
    Also how many will have 1st dose by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork2021 wrote: »
    68% of adults or population?
    Also how many will have 1st dose by then?
    Over 16s, and I would say 80% ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Anyone know what the HSE advice is in terms of getting a vaccine if you have a cold? Have a bad enough cold since Thursday (Covid test clear)and due my second vaccines dose on Wednesday?

Over 16s, and I would say 80% ish

Not bad, totally different situation so, modelling will have to be looked at again and especially when it comes to what the figures will be like come the end of August

• Advertisement

Anyone else think this argument is pointless at this stage? NIAC won’t change advice now especially with Paul Reid saying all AZ second doses will be done in the next 10 days… AZ once both doses are given is just as good as 2 doses of Pfizer against delta.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1411709422695555089?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is there a danger here that by offering the vaccine through two pathways, pharmacy and MVCs, the program is actually slowed down slightly? They both seem to be targeting the same cohort. I've no problem with the vaccines being offered early to younger groups through the pharmacies. Current MVCs groups I'm not sure of. That's effectively given people two potential appointments through two different means.

My guy tells me this could cause delays and extra admin. I'm not sure though. Can't reason it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Ficheall wrote: »

Distribution of vaccine is best done on an intergovernmental basis. There are serious issue with the way Unicef does business in the "third world". Some would argue that it does more harm than good. Aside from the fact that a large proportion of any donation goes on fundraising, admin and salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

robinbird wrote: »
    Distribution of vaccine is best done on an intergovernmental basis. There are serious issue with the way Unicef does business in the "third world". Some would argue that it does more harm than good. Aside from the fact that a large proportion of any donation goes on fundraising, admin and salaries.
    There is always that concern.. I'm very open to better suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Mimon wrote: »
    Anyone know what the HSE advice is in terms of getting a vaccine if you have a cold? Have a bad enough cold since Thursday (Covid test clear)and due my second vaccines dose on Wednesday?

Shouldn't someone with symptoms be isolating regardless if they have a negative test?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭buzzing147

Just wondering, if arrive early for vaccine would u still get it? I've mine next wed at 3pm but have somewhere to be from 11am. Someone said to go early they'll still vaccinate? Rather of got 9am vaccination time, wonder if I went in then would they give it? Centres hour n half away.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Genuine question: I am late 20's. Would people who have read the data and the research propose getting the J and J vaccine, or waiting an extra month or two and getting the Pfizer one instead?

One caveat to the good advice you have received from others is that if your pink avatar indicates you are a woman, then it’s worth reading up on the slightly elevated risk of blood clots for you. It’s still a very unlikely event, but the data from the US showed young women were the most likely group to be affected. Hence why it was originally decided to only be used in over 50s until it became clear the delta variant is a lot more contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Ficheall wrote: »
    There is always that concern.. I'm very open to better suggestions.

Well. Not sure giving a financial donation to fund private distribution of vaccines to elites that have the right connections in competition with govt distribution programs should be allowed or encouraged

Maybe if we asked the Romanians to donate surplus vaccines to Curevax rather that buying them privately it might be a start.

From what I can gather UNICEF has used the millions it has received to buy 200,000 vaccines on the private market which will be given to those it considers "worthy"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Turtwig wrote: »
    Is there a danger here that by offering the vaccine through two pathways, pharmacy and MVCs, the program is actually slowed down slightly? They both seem to be targeting the same cohort. I've no problem with the vaccines being offered early to younger groups through the pharmacies. Current MVCs groups I'm not sure of. That's effectively given people two potential appointments through two different means.

My guy tells me this could cause delays and extra admin. I'm not sure though. Can't reason it out.

Doubtful, it's been a dual roll out already with GPs, also pharmacies can only vaccinate with J&J outside the cohort currently being called. With Pfizer they have to vaccinate within the current Cohort (35+)

The problem is that the pharmavax software doesn't tie in with the MVC/GP system. If it did then it would be logistically easier to cancel future appointments in the event of dual registration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭techdiver

So with all this talk of ramp up all I'm seeing (albeit anecdotally from my point of view in my area) is a slowdown of rollout. Wife is due second dose on Tuesday but no word yet (we've checked the vaccine portal and nothing). My mother in her 60's still waiting her second AZ appointment also.

In Westmeath we have/had 2 MVC's, one in Mullingar and one in Athlone. Now it seems the mullingar one is closed (hotel going back to normal business) as all mullingar appointments are being sent to Athlone. No word of a replacement centre. So now they only have half the capacity in relation to previous weeks. That can't have anything but a negative result. Not to mention how many people are supposed to travel up to an hour to get to Athlone from other parts of the county.

All this about purchasing a million extra doses is no use unless they provide the appropriate infrastructure to administer the doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Turtwig wrote: »

HSE will have worked this out! Likely to be different age groups so not really an issue and the admin is an overhead anyway. Pharmacies are doing far smaller numbers anyway with a wider age cohort but have the one shot J&J so no further management will be needed. Judging by the rush they'll be kept pretty busy. MVCs have a lot of second doses to catch up on and then to start on the under 35s.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭buzzing147

Off topic a bit but does anyone know if it's possible to get the vaccine earlier on day of vaccine? Mine due at 3pm but wanna get it at 9am, if went into centre early would they give it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Apogee wrote: »
    Reid on RTE This Week
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21977410

50k J+J in stock by pharmacies
    Extra 120k will be delievered to pharmacies next week
    Expect a total of 210k J+J administered in July
    850 pharmacies participating

End of July 68% fully vaccinated by including J+J

That doesn't actually make sense. 68% have one dose now, and all of these are due a second dose by end of July. The J&J should come on top of that, so another 210k is 5.6% fully vaccinated. I.e. a total of 73.6% fully vaccinated by end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That doesn't actually make sense. 68% have one dose now, and all of these are due a second dose by end of July. The J&J should come on top of that, so another 210k is 5.6% fully vaccinated. I.e. a total of 73.6% fully vaccinated by end of July.

I noticed that too. Reid's numbers appear to be overly conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Off topic a bit but does anyone know if it's possible to get the vaccine earlier on day of vaccine? Mine due at 3pm but wanna get it at 9am, if went into centre early would they give it?

I doubt it, reply to the text with 'New' you'll get a new appointment in a couple of days.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Go earlier that 9...they don't care once its same day. Nobody even mentioned the time when I did it..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

I did this. Absolutely no issue, although it was a Sunday and was quiet.

Shouldn't someone with symptoms be isolating regardless if they have a negative test?

You are right but I had Covid last year and this is different, 100% a cold. Test was just to be sure. Won't be in close contact with anyone not in my household.

I guess in a race to get better by Wednesday to get the vaccine. Don't want to risk infecting the inoculator with a cold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any idea how far behind the number of vaccines administered by GPs are? It's noted on the dashboard that the true figures of doses is higher because of this but is it a 1-day lag? 5 day? It'll get even more muddled likely once the pharmacies start scaling up.

Mimon wrote: »
    You are right but I had Covid last year and this is different, 100% a cold. Test was just to be sure. Won't be in close contact with anyone not in my household.

I guess in a race to get better by Wednesday to get the vaccine. Don't want to risk infecting the inoculator with a cold.

Delta variant can feel like a cold. Test could be a false negative.

Ask your doctor and see what they think. In my opinion, having symptoms is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Delta variant can feel like a cold. Test could be a false negative.

Ask your doctor and see what they think. In my opinion, having symptoms is a no no.

What's the odds he's been reinfected with Covid and also a false negative on a PCR test? But be minuscule.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What's the odds he's been reinfected with Covid and also a false negative on a PCR test? But be minuscule.

Covid hasn't gone away and you can get reinfected or are we all still saying that reinfection happens to a handful of people?

• Advertisement

Covid hasn't gone away and you can get reinfected or are we all still saying that reinfection happens to a handful of people?

Don't want to pull the thread off topic, thanks for your answers. Will ask GP what he thinks.

Advertisement