Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know they often change names of pharmaceutical products - just not sure this one is a winner tbh.

Spikevax apparently is the new name for Moderna

:eek:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/spikevax-previously-covid-19-vaccine-moderna

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure if named after spike protein or Buffy character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

gozunda wrote: »
    I know they often change names of pharmaceutical products - just not sure this one is a winner tbh.

Spikevax apparently is the new name for Moderna

:eek:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/spikevax-previously-covid-19-vaccine-moderna

I don't like it. I understand Moderna is the company and not the vaccine.
    But it sounds Russian!
    Like AZ, I like the name ChAdOx1 over Vaxzevria

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Stark wrote: »
    Not sure if named after spike protein or Buffy character.

I think it sounds like an evil character out of a Marvel comic tbh

"Moderna sounds a little too much like Murderna, need something less scary sounding. Spikevax? Perfect".

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What's the odds he's been reinfected with Covid and also a false negative on a PCR test? But be minuscule.

fagpacket maths

1 in 5 chance of having COVID

PCR False neg is 20 to 66 % (1/5 or 2/3)

best case = 1 in 25

worst case = 2 in 15 or 1 in 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have many booked with their pharmacy for the J & J on here? Tried Friday but couldnt get through

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

wadacrack wrote: »
    Have many booked with their pharmacy for the J & J on here? Tried Friday but couldnt get through

Missus (31) booked Boots Jervis on Friday morning for J&J on 20 July, Boots cancelled it around 4.30pm same day. She's registered with a few other places but doesn't expect to hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Does anyone know if the pharmacies are strictly over 18's for the one shot, or does it go on the year you were born as the Vaccine Portal did for registration?

My son was born in late 2003 and is frustrated seeing all his mates sign up.

fagpacket maths

1 in 5 chance of having COVID

PCR False neg is 20 to 66 % (1/5 or 2/3)

best case = 1 in 25

worst case = 2 in 15 or 1 in 7.5

You might want to check your assumptions there.

1 in 5 chance of having covid with 500 cases per day in the country?
    20-66% false negative rate on PCR in symptomatic individuals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Curious those that registered and heard from Pharmacies if they will be doing it by age also or first come first serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Does anyone know if the pharmacies are strictly over 18's for the one shot, or does it go on the year you were born as the Vaccine Portal did for registration?

My son was born in late 2003 and is frustrated seeing all his mates sign up.

They should be - the Janssen vaccine is not even conditionally approved by the EMA for under 18s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How do you guys register for the Janssen vaccine? I'm only given an option to call them on the vaccine portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Can you travel abroad with the J&J vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Luap wrote: »
    Yes, after 14 days you are considered fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How do you guys register for the Janssen vaccine? I'm only given an option to call them on the vaccine portal.

Opt in J&J & AZ for 18-34 through the portal doesn't open until next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Got first dose Moderna last Thursday in the Avviva.
    Have felt unwell since. At least once each day since I've had to lie down due to feeling light headed/dizzy/nausea. I'm struggling to look at the computer screen for anything longer than a few minutes this morning. Is this normal?

You might want to check your assumptions there.

1 in 5 chance of having covid with 500 cases per day in the country?
    20-66% false negative rate on PCR in symptomatic individuals?

assumptions are fine...

you're assuming everyone who has COVID is tested and knows about it in your statement.... and that all PCR tests are 100% in symptomatic individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Luap wrote: »

Yes, I reckon this will be a huge incentive to the under 30s to get it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Opt in J&J & AZ for 18-34 through the portal doesn't open until next Monday

J&J is today according to RTE and the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yes but you have to register with Pharmacies themselves.

Sounds like they're getting things confused with the pharmacy registrations. Vaccinations in pharmacies starts today but that's separate to the portal (which doesn't open till Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The process is just starting today but bear in mind the far smaller capacity of pharmacies and the issue of J&J supplies. As others have said making contact with a local pharmacy is the way to go for now. And be patient! :)

With pharmacies, not through the portal.

Ring your local pharmacies and ask if they're doing J&J and if you can put your name down.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I'm in the 18-34 group - rang every pharmacy in my county on the participating HSE list. All but one told me to ring back in a week or two. The one waiting list I did get on said i'd probably be waiting 4-6 weeks.

Guess i'll be heading on my holibobs without the vaccine. Thankfully the sensible countries i'm visiting accept antigen testing.

Through pharmacies yes, portal for MVC next Monday

Flyer1 wrote: »
    I'm in the 18-34 group - rang every pharmacy in my county on the participating HSE list. All but one told me to ring back in a week or two. The one waiting list I did get on said i'd probably be waiting 4-6 weeks.

Guess i'll be heading on my holibobs without the vaccine. Thankfully the sensible countries i'm visiting accept antigen testing.

Just register next Monday when the opt in portal opens for 18-34, might get one through that before a pharmacy

• Advertisement

Flyer1 wrote: »

If you're 30-34 register on Friday with hse. I'll be doing the same.Take whichever comes first.

Advertisement