Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

not meaningless if you're hiding behind them...

Government will be posturing "we are on par with the UK", when they had a much smaller task on hand, and still made a mess of it...

How did they make a mess of it? We're comparable to other European countries.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    How did they make a mess of it? We're comparable to other European countries.

Exactly, Europe made a mess of it at the start... anyone who is ahead of the curve diversified vaccine sources...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

you're missing the point completely ....
    The only person missing the point here is you.

Larger countries have larger resources to deliver, what you are suggesting doesn't make sense. Ireland doesn't have the resources (in terms of number of sites, staff, etc..) to give out the same volume of doses. You have to compare %s for a meaningful comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

yes, and Ireland's program is small scale and still delayed

yes there is an agenda, it should have been completed months ago....

But ah sure we're getting there lad hey

Are you for real? Ireland is a country of 5 million people who should have the resources for a country of 5 million people, are you saying we should have the level of resources of a country of 66 million people?

You know what, I'm not even going to entertain one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen here in a long time (that is no easy feet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Looks like a fairly soft launch for pharmacies, deliveries of additional supplies not going to start until Wedneaday and will run into next week. They have said it'll be between 50 and 100 doses which is something I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Exactly, Europe made a mess of it at the start... anyone who is ahead of the curve diversified vaccine sources...

Ok, sorry. Didn't realise you were based in the UK.

Yeh, this has been done to death. The EU rollout was slow to start, but really Ireland is comparable to other EU countries.

Vaccine rollout is a marathon, not a sprint. The UK is still dealing with huge Delta issues, despite having a fantastic vaccine program.

Honestly, I think you're a troll account.

The only person missing the point here is you.

Larger countries have larger resources to deliver, what you are suggesting doesn't make sense. Ireland doesn't have the resources (in terms of number of sites, staff, etc..) to give out the same volume of doses. You have to compare %s for a meaningful comparison.

My suggestion is that it'll be all pats on the back, percentages batted around that Ireland is on par with the UK...

from a numbers perspective, Ireland were late to the party to begin with, and had a small gap to close, which should have been closed months ago

1huge1 wrote: »
    Are you for real? Ireland is a country of 5 million people who should have the resources for a country of 5 million people, are you saying we should have the level of resources of a country of 66 million people?

You know what, I'm not even going to entertain one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen here in a long time (that is no easy feet).

good man for taking yourself out of the conversation, as you're missing the point and focusing on comparing scales...

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Vaccine rollout is a marathon, not a sprint. The UK is still dealing with huge Delta issues, despite having a fantastic vaccine program.

In mostly unvaccinated areas funnily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Government will be posturing "we are on par with the UK", when they had a much smaller task on hand, and still made a mess of it...

Not smaller relative to our resources and they haven't made a mess of it. Its one of our great success stories.

• Advertisement

Some data from Canada regarding efficacy against current VOCs. Effectiveness against Delta after two doses is pretty consistent with that from the UK. Effectiveness after one dose however is noticeably higher (important caveat though the CIs are quite wide).

Also of interest is the efficacy of AZ against Beta/Gamma. 48% against symptomatic infection after one dose compared to 67% against Alpha. A significant drop for sure but not as drastic as you'd expect when considering the results of*that* study. Canada give mRNA to those who received AZ so unfortunately no data on two dose efficacy.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v1.full.pdf

x5nT81b6hrXmTJWxlz0dIjdCeX_W68g1c3ZfJ2J5-Bxijn-t9ZepQtcVhXAMYUQZV8038McVY0qayaQtij8F-WAatTLLDwLRqECHnbvYedw-8al88-wM3xQCmX32hEWf8JcOaCflZj_RJB1lBcuhvERrujygqy7c8AR9BLgzP_FUOeC8U5PO_qy9XkOgvPG4biaWSICnMEUhzQnWxkbHJGgGb94uCa0s0IAsVM-ZTfpQYW30uORxbzEzIpC29k3BjHCCYJokvQzNLiPgl46ZpXs0fDFXNin9xMQJS9g6Dfoo2PLAflkmMitZqvSVxlptZYqfcTrHzgatY3cSF-idBjVWoqkY5g0scytCovrd9ojyKVSDMEkHhkgjAk462yOZ46ygvYGfaRUjOpjvrlOBUfImIVTQC0i6sNl4_VlsCK03YuoqJupmVOblAP0YRzSKYLYWiEDerMvbGb3iaOQ16kJPLlicrSr5NNP1qHdUVTAu6mcZZ9QDWR-R87CKsxpmIZhtatSutFyBVtF5jF-3dGLFnYtKizzp89Co2wmDqSwMUUx171FRvwV3mjfr4HpBIBg3F_-rQ9wjC-qVnMgLiNi6NydvsV6apwncOl_aOTHY_qj8c8gCSrwoRn7lOVwaalBKUkfRBp_B1KeP6xLOU3FXuHJNmw6REQt3m0pvga-YTosGlSK4KoOg7SAS2xuxJmEtNAGEj4dcMuB1MkRmoZE=w875-h606-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Treepole wrote: »
    Got first dose Moderna last Thursday in the Avviva.
    Have felt unwell since. At least once each day since I've had to lie down due to feeling light headed/dizzy/nausea. I'm struggling to look at the computer screen for anything longer than a few minutes this morning. Is this normal?

Seems on the extreme side. Call your GP?

I definitely felt wrecked at times for a good 10 days after, would come in waves, some days fine and full of energy, the next day would have to lie down after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What does this even mean? Why not say that Ireland is orders of magnitude ahead of Luxembourg given that Ireland is a relative superpower compared to the principality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭techdiver

So what is the current experience with second dose of mRNA (Moderna in this case)? Are they sticking to 28 days or is that being silently missed now? Wife should be due to get her second dose tomorrow but no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yes, and Ireland's program is small scale and still delayed
    Jeff Bezos is about to fly into space in a rocket he paid for, and here you are, can't even buy yourself a measly 737. FFS, get the finger out will you?

Small scale and you're still way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just got a jab there, am 29, chanced my arm and said I'd ring around and a local GP (not my own) had one going if I got here straight away were taking bookings in any case. Ring around people.

Is this a Dublin/Country thing? they seem to be getting dished out to all and sundry down the country. Can't get a pharmacy or GP to pick up the phone in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that your own spreadsheet?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

China is vaccinating about 20 Million people per day, how come the UK didn't match that and do everyone in 4 days?

When you have the answer, you should apply the same logic to any other two countries of vastly different populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭klose

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is this a Dublin/Country thing? they seem to be getting dished out to all and sundry down the country. Can't get a pharmacy or GP to pick up the phone in Dublin.

Based in clonmel in South tipperary so can't vouch for anywhere else in the country, have heard of various GPS around town doing similar. Did take a while to get through on the phone.

• Advertisement

The HSE website has a list of pharmacies offreing the vaccine but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent list for GPs. Or am I missing something? Without a list, I guess I could spend a morning cold calling practices but a list wouldn't reduce the amount of hey in the stack between be and that needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1410916506016399363?s=20

Slightly ambiguous reply to the question here, vaguely suggesting that everyone over 18 might be able to register from July 12th (without opting in for AZ), but must be a mistake surely from HSE.

At the same time, Reid was saying all adults might be fully vaccinated by end of Aug, which would mean that even an 18 year old would need appointment number 1 by the very end of this month (or in the first couple of days in Aug).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

My understanding is that if you opt for J&J and AZ you might get done sooner, but that the MRNA vaccines will continue to roll out strictly by age group.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why not say that Ireland is orders of magnitude ahead of Luxembourg given that Ireland is a relative superpower compared to the principality.

That's the point I'm making... everyone making it out it's a huge success when is hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

A good friend of mine believes that Covid is no more serious than the seasonal flu, and that the vaccines are poisonous and dangerous to take at worst, and at best they're unnecessary for a relatively young healthy person to take anyway.

I have tried and failed to reason with them on this.

Thankfully they are willing to talk to someone more informed on the topic. They don't have a proper GP so I have been considering asking my own GP if they would discuss with them. I am a bit hesitant to do so as I've no idea if my GP would have the communication skills to navigate such a conversation so it could all go very wrong and make matters worse.

I'm wondering if there are any other supports or resources available for this kind of thing where they could speak to someone? Thanks

That's the point I'm making... everyone making it out it's a huge success when is hasn't

So the Lux people for example could never have just cause for deeming their rollout a success because at maximum they will only do 500,000 people. How have you set this criteria for success? the UK's rollout is then a complete flop compared to that of China, India, Brazil, the USA etc.

I'm glad you know what point you're trying to make, because nobody else does.

You really haven't thought this through, have you?

Skygord wrote: »
    China is vaccinating about 20 Million people per day, how come the UK didn't match that and do everyone in 4 days?

When you have the answer, you should apply the same logic to any other two countries of vastly different populations.

cool story, but not the point I made though...

Ireland has ample resource to rollout the vaccine, but that is being mis-managed and under supplied, making it a **** show....

even look at this thread and you have people rejoicing they got a vaccine after doing all the leg work themselves over a number of days....

if they diversified supply as they were advised, and utilised the resources they have effectively, Ireland would be close to done for people who wanted the vaccine...

but everyone is looking at percentages saying "oohh look, we're similar as everyone else, so the government are doing a great job" ... they're not, it's pretty abysmal seen as everything they are pinning re-opening on, is around the vaccine rollout..

especially in a country like Ireland, which actually has quite a high vaccine uptake compared to a lot of our neighbours on the continent, who will struggle to get to the 70-80% vaccinated mark due to vaccine hesitancy

I'll probably get sniped even more over this, so enjoy guys thinking all is going well, enjoy restrictions for another few months due to the vaccine rollout not being completed

Ireland has ample resource to rollout the vaccine, but that is being mis-managed and under supplied, making it a **** show....

Looks like you're trying to make a false statement here. I've been in a few vaccination centres, The system is an absolute machine, China would be jealous.
    if they diversified supply as they were advised, and utilised the resources they have effectively, Ireland would be close to done for people who wanted the vaccine...

How have you reckoned this? what resources are not being utilised effectively?
    but everyone is looking at percentages saying "oohh look, we're similar as everyone else, so the government are doing a great job" ... they're not, it's pretty abysmal seen as everything they are pinning re-opening on, is around the vaccine rollout..

well yeah, percentages are the standard of how you compare almost any statistic between countries.

If we didn't have percentages then you would just have to say that China is the best at everything, absolute numbers are meaningless data in international comparison. Why don't you get this?

especially in a country like Ireland, which actually has quite a high vaccine uptake compared to a lot of our neighbours on the continent, who will struggle to get to the 70-80% vaccinated mark due to vaccine hesitancy

So now you like percentages? :confused:

I'll probably get sniped even more over this, so enjoy guys thinking all is going well, enjoy restrictions for another few months due to the vaccine rollout not being completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Nobody except you understands the point your making.

You can't compare completely different size countries without adjusting for population size. Our roll out isn't perfect but its pretty decent and by September we'll very likely be one of the most vaccinated countries, per population size, in the world due to the uptake.

Advertisement