Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

36 this year, North Dublin, still waiting...

Tried my GP too but they stopped doing vaccinations

cool story, but not the point I made though...

Ireland has ample resource to rollout the vaccine, but that is being mis-managed and under supplied, making it a **** show....

even look at this thread and you have people rejoicing they got a vaccine after doing all the leg work themselves over a number of days....

if they diversified supply as they were advised, and utilised the resources they have effectively, Ireland would be close to done for people who wanted the vaccine...

but everyone is looking at percentages saying "oohh look, we're similar as everyone else, so the government are doing a great job" ... they're not, it's pretty abysmal seen as everything they are pinning re-opening on, is around the vaccine rollout..

especially in a country like Ireland, which actually has quite a high vaccine uptake compared to a lot of our neighbours on the continent, who will struggle to get to the 70-80% vaccinated mark due to vaccine hesitancy

I'll probably get sniped even more over this, so enjoy guys thinking all is going well, enjoy restrictions for another few months due to the vaccine rollout not being completed

Clueless is the most appropriate word, however aren't we lucky we didn't get any of those Sinovac vaccines as some suggested.

Diversifying supply to Sputnik worked elsewhere also
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/slovakia-sells-most-sputnik-v-vaccine-doses-back-russia-2021-07-02/
    Slovakia's drug agency SUKL refused to give a recommendation for using Sputnik V, citing insufficient data from the producer

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/06/brazil-gives-russian-covid-19-vaccine-chance-approving-import-limited-doses
    Despite safety concerns, the Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency (Anvisa) reversed itself last week and voted to allow a trickle of Sputnik V, the Russian-made COVID-19 vaccine, into the country. Only 928,000 doses will be imported—just a fraction of the total requested by a group of state governors—and the agency imposed stringent measures to reduce supposed health risks and monitor the vaccine’s safety and efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's the point I'm making... everyone making it out it's a huge success when is hasn't
    You need a whole lot more than a one line statement to convince anyone or is just that you have no desire to give any credit? The context to our performance BTW is we are now on version 31 of the vaccination plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I couldn't make the 2nd appointment day and replied "New".

Does anybody know how long it takes to get a rescheduled appointment?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Looks like you're trying to make a false statement here. I've been in a few vaccination centres, The system is an absolute machine, China would be jealous.

Agree... but the supply is not there to meet demand... as I said, the willing population could have been vaccinated by now if diverse supplies were secured, which was advised but Ireland stuck with the EU program

How have you reckoned this? what resources are not being utilised effectively?

Pharmacies and GP's not allowed to give out out excess supply unless you're on the list... the current pot luck of getting a vaccine if you happen to contact the right place at the right time...

well yeah, percentages are the standard of how you compare almost any statistic between countries.

If we didn't have percentages then you would just have to say that China is the best at everything, absolute numbers are meaningless data in international comparison. Why don't you get this?

So now you like percentages? :confused:

pathetic troll attempt the last comment.... that's the number for heard immunity from vaccine... nothing about liking it or not

percentage doesn't tell the full story, Ireland has the capability to clear the remaining willing adult population in a month, but can't .... that's why the numbers matter, because percentages allow you to masquerade that you're doing well .... in that case we're always going to be doing better than France and some of the eastern block countries ,as the majority of people don't want the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

strongback wrote: »

Depends very much on the MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Texted 'New' last Wednesday evening (to reschedule an appointment for Sunday).

Got new text late Friday evening with slot for tomorrow.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Clueless is the most appropriate word, however aren't we lucky we didn't get any of those Sinovac vaccines as some suggested.

Diversifying supply to Sputnik worked elsewhere also
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/slovakia-sells-most-sputnik-v-vaccine-doses-back-russia-2021-07-02/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/06/brazil-gives-russian-covid-19-vaccine-chance-approving-import-limited-doses

who said it had to be those?

The EU program requested that no other deals be made with suppliers they were negotiating with...

Which meant being the good boys of Europe, supplies offered by the UK of AstraZeneca were refused and Pfizer had to reign in the employee and immediate family vaccination program so not to annoy Europe...

Two examples of dropping the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Which meant being the good boys of Europe, supplies offered by the UK of AstraZeneca were refused and Pfizer had to reign in the employee and immediate family vaccination program so not to annoy Europe...

When did either of these things happen?

I've difficulty believing that the UK offered us AZ doses which were refused.

And I know for a fact that Pfizer had a programme that did employees and their families a few months back, it wasn't reigned in in any way!

The EU program requested that no other deals be made with suppliers they were negotiating with...

It was actually an example of not allowing countries into a bidding war with each other which would potentially limit national programmes. When did the UK promise us supplies? They certainly promised to offer us vaccines.

• Advertisement

And I know for a fact that Pfizer had a programme that did employees and their families a few months back, it wasn't reigned in in any way!
    The fact that they were supplies not part of any contract allowed Pfizer to make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Care to back up the section in bold with a source where Ireland turned down supples of AZ from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

He's talking out of his rear end. Back in March it appeared in the British press that they were going to offer Ireland doses. They never did. It was just propaganda , a tory mp admitted it was just to rile the EU.

They exported zero vaccines made in the UK apart from a couple of hundred k to Australia. They've imported 10s of millions of vaccines made in the EU however.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    He's talking out of his rear end. Back in March it appeared in the British press that they were going to offer Ireland doses. They never did. It was just propaganda , a tory mp admitted it was just to rile the EU.

They exported zero vaccines made in the UK apart from a couple of hundred k to Australia. They've imported 10s of millions of vaccines made in the EU however.
    IIRC it came off the back of a meeting of MM and Boris and it was he who promised to help "our neighbour" (when they could!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Question: If getting the Jansen vaccine will I have to get a booster of another type of vaccine at a later time?

I had heard something about this being possible on the radio and I don’t really want to go mixing vaccines.

I’m 30yo, fit and healthy and not in much of a panic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My brother missed his first one but got a new appointment that same week. He was going to get his second Vaccine jab today. He should be all done for now. I am hoping to get called for my second jab in the next week or two hopefully. I am still pissed that the 18 to 34 years old are getting the Jannsen vaccine now and could be fully vaccinated before I am now which is not fair.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    He's talking out of his rear end.

I knew this - I was trying to be nice about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Question: If getting the Jansen vaccine will I have to get a booster of another type of vaccine at a later time?

I had heard something about this being possible on the radio and I don’t really want to go mixing vaccines.

At this moment in time it doesn't look like a booster is currently need, J&J showing long term protection and highly effective against all variants

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Hi all I've heard a few reports from people in the 20s and early 30s age groups who have shown up at the covid vaccine centres towards the end of the day and have been giving 'left over' vaccine. Not sure how true this is but worth a shot for anyone in that age group who would rather get the Pfizer jab!

If anyone has been able to avail of this I'd love to hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not in the 20s or 30s but my fiancee's Dad was able to get a left over vaccine last week

That was a second AZ for him

He would have been due a second dose over the next two weeks anyway

Different centres doing different vaccines so no guarantee Pfizer at any of the centres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Jassgal wrote: »
    Hi all I've heard a few reports from people in the 20s and early 30s age groups who have shown up at the covid vaccine centres towards the end of the day and have been giving 'left over' vaccine. Not sure how true this is but worth a shot for anyone in that age group who would rather get the Pfizer jab!

If anyone has been able to avail of this I'd love to hear about it

If you’re at risk of covid you should see your doctor. If not and you still feel you need a vaccine badly enough to hang around outside a Vaccine Center, for a mild illness relative to your age group-see your phycologist.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

At this moment in time it doesn't look like a booster is currently need, J&J showing long term protection and highly effective against all variants

Ok thanks. I’m wondering if I should wait for Pfizer or go for J&J. The one shot is appealing but I really don’t know the statistical difference between the two.

I know J&J is probably inferior but does it make a difference in my context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Leftwaffe wrote: »

There is no issue with mixing vaccines, infact jn all likelihood you'd end up with better immunity along with getting your travel cert earlier with the one dose jj.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

cool story, but not the point I made though...

Ireland has ample resource to rollout the vaccine, but that is being mis-managed and under supplied, making it a **** show....

even look at this thread and you have people rejoicing they got a vaccine after doing all the leg work themselves over a number of days....

if they diversified supply as they were advised, and utilised the resources they have effectively, Ireland would be close to done for people who wanted the vaccine...

but everyone is looking at percentages saying "oohh look, we're similar as everyone else, so the government are doing a great job" ... they're not, it's pretty abysmal seen as everything they are pinning re-opening on, is around the vaccine rollout..

especially in a country like Ireland, which actually has quite a high vaccine uptake compared to a lot of our neighbours on the continent, who will struggle to get to the 70-80% vaccinated mark due to vaccine hesitancy

I'll probably get sniped even more over this, so enjoy guys thinking all is going well, enjoy restrictions for another few months due to the vaccine rollout not being completed

I think there's a supply of J&J at pharmacies that could have been used by now if they'd been allowed to do under 50's before today. And I think there's been stocks held centrally for 2nd doses to counter supply hiccups - perhaps more than necessary, we don't know though, as we don't get good data on inbound supplies.

I don't think the HSE could have gone 'much' faster than they have to date - and vaccinating around 1% of total population, per day, for the past several weeks is a faster rate than either the UK, or the USA, ever reached.

...but your point is valid now for July, supplies are not the constraint, and if we leveraged pharmacies more, remobilised GP's, vaccinated via the HSE Covid Test Centres, and kept all the MVC's open for longer hours for a few weeks etc we could vaccinate at a phenominal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Yoya432

Going abroad in a couple of days (within the EU)- and decided to sign up for the vaccine.

Got an ppointmebt for the J&J vaccine for Saturday. Wondering if I will have any issues with this? Has anyone else done similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

120k J&J vaccines expected to be delivered to 750 pharmacies across the country this week. That's an average of 160 for each pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

38, North Kildare so would be City West, registered on 19th and nothing yet. All pharmacies near me are fully booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the fact that over 60's receiving the AZ vaccine have to go a centre when under this age group who choose to get AZ can get theirs at a pharmacy? considering the fact alot of older people who don't live near these vaccination centres it seems very mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the fact that over 60's receiving the AZ vaccine have to go a centre when under this age group who choose to get AZ can get theirs at a pharmacy? considering the fact alot of older people who don't live near these vaccination centres it seems very mean.

There isn't any AZ at pharmacies. They've J&J and some Pfizer in a certain few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Advertisement