Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are the pharmacies pretty much all booked up at this stage ?
    Probably this week anyway. You'd also expect them to hold off on new appointments until they confirm supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Are all vaccines seen as equal or are some seen as unsafe. I've been in Spain for de last year. I'm booking a vaccine online. I'm 58. Haven't been keeping up with the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

George Lee on RTE 6.01 News suggesting that Romanian vaccines could be here by early next week (or less likely, end of this week) with Aer Corps support.

Irish authorities have been in contact with Danish counterparts to identify potential issues (e.g. problems in cold chain, expiry dates on the vaccines etc).

Edit: And extended opening hours at MVCs to get through the Romanian doses ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Are all vaccines seen as equal or are some seen as unsafe. I've been in Spain for de last year. I'm booking a vaccine online. I'm 58. Haven't been keeping up with the news.

They are all pretty much equal.

AZ and J&J had some very rare issues with blood clots (talking 1 in a million risk or less - mainly seemed to impact younger people) and Pfizer had some even rarer issues with minor swelling around the heart (mainly in younger men).

Headline figures on effectiveness suggest that Pfizer and Moderna are a little better, but real life doesn't seem to show too much difference (certainly when it comes to preventing serious illness or death they are all very effective) and the jury is completely out on how long they will be effective for so it's very possible that the AZ/J&J ones will be more effective in the long run

TLDR - they are all very good, I'd take whichever is on offer soonest! Pretty sure that if you register today at 58, you won't be given a choice anyway, you'll just get a text telling you where to go and when.  

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, they are all good. In 50s it's J&J (one shot) and Pfizer/Moderna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're all good but if I had a choice I'd go:

Pfizer/Moderna
    Janssen
    AstraZenica

The advantage of the last two is that you're likely to get a different booster over the winter which might give more protection, but that's speculative.

They are all pretty much equal.

AZ and J&J had some very rare issues with blood clots (talking 1 in a million risk or less - mainly seemed to impact younger people) and Pfizer had some even rarer issues with minor swelling around the heart (mainly in younger men).

Headline figures on effectiveness suggest that Pfizer and Moderna are a little better, but real life doesn't seem to show too much difference (certainly when it comes to preventing serious illness or death they are all very effective) and the jury is completely out on how long they will be effective for so it's very possible that the AZ/J&J ones will be more effective in the long run

TLDR - they are all very good, I'd take whichever is on offer soonest! Pretty sure that if you register today at 58, you won't be given a choice anyway, you'll just get a text telling you where to go and when.  

AZ and J&J clot incidences are both much higher than one in a million. For AZ it's more like 1 in 50,000. J&J is about 7 per million, with the vast majority affected being women.

Still very small risks but people should be aware of them nonetheless.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/israel-sees-decline-in-pfizer-vaccine-efficacy-rate-ynet-says-1.1625333

I think all four EMA approved vaccines are similar.

All protect against symptoms by around 2/3.

All protect against hospitalisation and death by > 90-99% .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

The best one is the one that is in your arm soonest.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    AZ and J&J clot incidences are both much higher than one in a million. For AZ it's more like 1 in 50,000. J&J is about 7 per million, with the vast majority affected being women.

Still very small risks but people should be aware of them nonetheless.

How many people have died in ireland of said blood clots though.

Over a million doses given out of AZ in ireland and not one death?

This risk has been far too over stated.

Your at more risk getting into your car today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Now the GeoHive data is back, it's being pulled into Our World In Data...here's a view, we'll pass the USA soon for 1st doses...

iDf7vxr.png

Lumen wrote: »

Pfizer/Moderna
    Janssen
    AstraZenica

The advantage of the last two is that you're likely to get a different booster over the winter which might give more protection, but that's speculative.

Will everyone get booster in winter though?

Probably restricted to certain cohorts.

Skygord wrote: »
    Now the GeoHive data is back, it's being pulled into Our World In Data...here's a view, we'll pass the USA soon for 1st doses...

Edit - how do I paste it into a post, and not just an attachment?

557686.png

On current trajectory we will be overtaking Israel and the uk before the end of next month.

Complete disaster of a vaccine rollout, typical HSE.

Where is everyone who was saying it would take us years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I thought we were supposed to be 80% by now...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apogee wrote: »
    George Lee on RTE 6.01 News suggesting that Romanian vaccines could be here by early next week (or less likely, end of this week) with Aer Corps support.

Irish authorities have been in contact with Danish counterparts to identify potential issues (e.g. problems in cold chain, expiry dates on the vaccines etc).

Edit: And extended opening hours at MVCs to get through the Romanian doses ASAP.

Yes, I saw that. They seem pretty confident the supplies will come through and are preparing for it.

He also said 100k AZ second doses are expected to be administered this week.

How many people have died in ireland of said blood clots though.

This risk has been far too over stated.

Your at more risk getting into your car today.

The figure hasn't been overstated, it's based on the UK data and it is printed on the information leaflet.

In Ireland we restricted AZ early on and targeted it to the over 60s (a group to whom AZ does not pose any significant risk). So of course we have had a low number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Spoke with a friend in letterkenny. He rang his local chemist about the J&J vaccine today. They told him they weren't taking any more names, it would be 5 or 6 weeks before they would get through the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

557686.png

On current trajectory we will be overtaking Israel and the uk before the end of next month.

Complete disaster of a vaccine rollout, typical HSE.

Where is everyone who was saying it would take us years?

The covid calculator says I won't get it until 2026. Typical FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

TELEMMGLPICT000180272331_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDbrrgFrYtTijSfc3ccdSy6kG09Y-fpW4z2mR23jjVek.jpeg?imwidth=480

As everyone said, it was about supply and not our ability to get doses into arms. Once we got the supply, numbers have followed, and with the Romanian supply to come on board we will move to near the top of the vaccine lists pretty quickly

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The figure hasn't been overstated, it's based on the UK data and it is printed on the information leaflet.

In Ireland we restricted AZ early on and targeted it to the over 60s (a group to whom AZ does not pose any significant risk). So of course we have had a low number of cases.

As said:

Its not restricted and as Luke Oneill said risk is not related to age.

AZ has been given to people in ireland from early 20's to late 60's.

This will continue to be the case, or have I missed something?

Can a 20 something apply for AZ currently or is it restricted?

Taking an asprin is more risky than AZ vaccine as is driving a car.

How many people have died in road accidents in ireland this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Lumen wrote: »

Pfizer/Moderna
    Janssen
    AstraZenica

Isn't that just another way of saying that the last two are better than nothing but not fully up to the job. If they were, why would you be giving a 'booster'. Sorry, it doesn't quite add up in truth. That said, there's little or no choice for most of us plebs. Will cast a cold eye on any boosters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Apogee wrote: »

So it wasn't racist to ask these questions after all. Glad to see it's not just me who wonder if they were stored appropriately.
    I'm due for my 2nd shot in the coming days and I'm not comfortable with the timing of this entire business therefore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Link
    According to multiple sources, two unvaccinated NC State players tested positive for COVID-19 this week, prompting the NCAA to test the entire roster, including vaccinated players. Four positive tests came back from that round of testing, prompting the no-contest ruling. All four of the latest positive tests came from vaccinated individuals who were in the dugout for Friday’s game against Vanderbilt, per multiple sources.

Vaccines do not appear to prevent acquisition and propagation of covid (but we knew that already?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

xboxdad wrote: »
    So it wasn't racist to ask these questions after all. Glad to see it's not just me who wonder if they were stored appropriately.
    I'm due for my 2nd shot in the coming days and I'm not comfortable with the timing of this entire business therefore.

George's point was that buying vaccines from another country is not the same thing as buying from a manufacturer. If you're buying from Pfizer for example, they are responsible for delivering them to you in perfect condition. But buying surplus doses from a third country means you have to carry out all sorts of checks, as they are technically 'second hand' doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Woody79 wrote: »

No. Daily aspirin use is what leads to death by overdose, not 'taking an aspirin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

growleaves wrote: »
    Link

Vaccines do not appear to prevent acquisition and propagation of covid (but we knew that already?)

There was never a claim that any of the vaccines were 100% effective, which I'm absolutely sure you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Strazdas wrote: »
    George's point was that buying vaccines from another country is not the same thing as buying from a manufacturer. If you're buying from Pfizer for example, they are responsible for delivering them to you in perfect condition. But buying surplus doses from a third country means you have to carry out all sorts of checks, as they are technically 'second hand' doses.

Exactly. ...and successful checks done on a small percentage of vials doesn't necessarily guarantee that all of them survived the unknown storage conditions.

growleaves wrote: »
    No. Daily aspirin use is what leads to death by overdose, not 'taking an aspirin'.

Asprin can cause bleeding in stomach brain and throughout the body.

You stick to your hard held beliefs that only overdose of asprin can cause harm.

Im not gonna change you.

• Advertisement

As said:

Its not restricted and as Luke Oneill said risk is not related to age.

AZ has been given to people in ireland from early 20's to late 60's.

This will continue to be the case, or have I missed something?

Can a 20 something apply for AZ currently or is it restricted?

How many people have died in road accidents in ireland this year?

You really should read up on the actual data if you're going to post about this. Try the UK yellow card/MHRA reports for a start. The risk is highest for younger age groups and decreases significantly for the older ones. This has been widely accepted by countless regulators around the world and has been reported in the news for months now. It is stated on the product information leaflets. If Luke O'Neill claims otherwise, he's wrong.

The majority of AZ doses went to the over 60s. Some healthcare workers also received them, and there have been some clotting cases here. As far as we know there have been no deaths, but bear in mind the first case here wasn't reported until a family member went to the media.

There was an age restriction on AZ for months, you must know this, you've been posting on this thread for some time. The only reason it has been lifted is because we need to speed up vaccinations in light of Delta.

Advertisement