Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

L1011 wrote: »
    There was never a claim that any of the vaccines were 100% effective, which I'm absolutely sure you already know.

That is my understanding yeah. But they are touted as being useful for 'community protection' by some authorities.

The transmissibility after infection is a bit up in the air. They give 'some' protection or 'more' protection against transmission but no one can say how much (because they don't know?)

If you can have four vaccinated individuals testing positive in one dressing room that looks like low protection to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

xboxdad wrote: »
    Exactly. ...and successful checks done on a small percentage of vials doesn't necessarily guarantee that all of them survived the unknown storage conditions.

In any event, there is no particular reason to believe there is anything wrong with the Romanian vaccines. It's more that they are simply carrying out checks and cross checks at the moment just to make sure they are all okay.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    You really should read up on the actual data if you're going to post about this. Try the UK yellow card/MHRA reports for a start. The risk is highest for younger age groups and decreases significantly for the older ones. This has been widely accepted by countless regulators around the world and has been reported in the news for months now. It is stated on the product information leaflets. If Luke O'Neill claims otherwise, he's wrong.

The majority of AZ doses went to the over 60s. Some healthcare workers also received them, and there have been some clotting cases here. As far as we know there have been no deaths, but bear in mind the first case here wasn't reported until a family member went to the media.

There was an age restriction on AZ for months, you must know this, you've been posting on this thread for some time. The only reason it has been lifted is because we need to speed up vaccinations in light of Delta.

It has also been lifted as very effective treatments for the extremely rare clotting events have been identified

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

Does anyone know: if you text “new” to reschedule an appointment do you get one quicker than when you first register?

growleaves wrote: »
    That is my understanding yeah. But they are touted as being useful for 'community protection' by some authorities.

The transmissibility after infection is a bit up in the air. They give 'some' protection or 'more' protection against transmission but no one can say how much (because they don't know?)

If you can have four vaccinated individuals testing positive in one dressing room that looks like low protection to me.

Not if they caught it but weren’t transmitting, which evidence shows is likely the case

• Advertisement

Not if they caught it but weren’t transmitting, which evidence shows is likely the case

Okay but how do we know that? The article doesn't say who likely gave it to who. Presume you are talking about other evidence, would appreciate if you point me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Marymoore wrote: »
    Does anyone know: if you text “new” to reschedule an appointment do you get one quicker than when you first register?

2 days for me (2nd dose)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

You really should read up on the actual data if you're going to post about this. Try the UK yellow card/MHRA reports for a start. The risk is highest for younger age groups and decreases significantly for the older ones.

I think that the AZ "risk" question has been misunderstood. It surely is a matter of relative risk, i.e. the risk from taking the vaccine versus the risk from not being vaccinated. The balance of AZ risk is less favourable for younger people not so much because the being-vaccinated risk is higher (it is), but because the risk from not being vaccinated is so much lower.

Furthermore this calculation is affected by the prevalence of the disease, which changes the balance of risk for everyone. Also the risk from not being vaccinated has to be measured over some time interval, in theory how long it would take to get an alternative vaccine.

You really should read up on the actual data if you're going to post about this. Try the UK yellow card/MHRA reports for a start. The risk is highest for younger age groups and decreases significantly for the older ones. This has been widely accepted by countless regulators around the world and has been reported in the news for months now. It is stated on the product information leaflets. If Luke O'Neill claims otherwise, he's wrong.

The majority of AZ doses went to the over 60s. Some healthcare workers also received them, and there have been some clotting cases here. As far as we know there have been no deaths, but bear in mind the first case here wasn't reported until a family member went to the media.

There was an age restriction on AZ for months, you must know this, you've been posting on this thread for some time. The only reason it has been lifted is because we need to speed up vaccinations in light of Delta.

You have your inbuilt biases and prejudices at this stage from many months ago. Stick to your beliefs and never ever change in spite of evidence.

You know more than Luke O'Nell now. I'm laughing at that one. Thats why 68% of young people would accept J&J or AZ in the morning.

Per Luke O'Neill 7 days ago:

"That began to become not true because it became clear age was not a predicter for clotting. In other words, young people have the same risk of clotting as older people - so it is across the board basically. That immediately means we should be using AstraZeneca across all age groups, there is no question now".

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-no-question-ireland-should-offer-astrazeneca-to-younger-people-1217182

Vaccinated individuals are both less likely to test positive and have significantly lower viral load when they do test positive

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

• Advertisement

I think that the AZ "risk" question has been misunderstood. It surely is a matter of relative risk, i.e. the risk from taking the vaccine versus the risk from not being vaccinated. The balance of AZ risk is less favourable for younger people not so much because the being-vaccinated risk is higher (it is), but because the risk from not being vaccinated is so much lower.

Furthermore this calculation is affected by the prevalence of the disease, which changes the balance of risk for everyone. Also the risk from not being vaccinated has to be measured over some time interval, in theory how long it would take to get an alternative vaccine.

Exactly.

Woody79 wrote: »
    You have your inbuilt biases and prejudices at this stage from many months ago. Stick to your beliefs and never ever change in spite of evidence.

You know more than Luke O'Nell now. I'm laughing at that one. Thats why 68% of young people would accept J&J or AZ in the morning.

"That began to become not true because it became clear age was not a predicter for clotting. In other words, young people have the same risk of clotting as older people - so it is across the board basically. That immediately means we should be using AstraZeneca across all age groups, there is no question now".

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-no-question-ireland-should-offer-astrazeneca-to-younger-people-1217182

Luke O'Neill is wrong. From the UK's report in May:

"The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses. Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups following the first dose compared to the older groups (20.1 per million doses in those aged 18-49 years compared to 10.8 per million doses in those aged 50 years and over). The number of first doses given to those in the 18-49 years age group is estimated to be 8.5 million while an estimated 16 million first doses have been given to patients aged 50+ years. "

See
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Is this the AstraZeneca thread?

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Is this the AstraZeneca thread?

It's a vaccine thread. AstraZeneca make one of the vaccines.

Apologies if this has already been posted:

FDA adds a warning to Covid-19 vaccines about risk of heart inflammation
    The FDA is advising vaccine recipients to seek immediate medical attention if they experience "chest pain, shortness of breath, or feelings of having a fast-beating, fluttering, or pounding heart after vaccination."
    Both the FDA and CDC are monitoring reports of these adverse events and will follow up to assess longer-term outcomes, the FDA noted.

Luke O'Neill is wrong. From the UK's report in May:

"The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses. Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups following the first dose compared to the older groups (20.1 per million doses in those aged 18-49 years compared to 10.8 per million doses in those aged 50 years and over). The number of first doses given to those in the 18-49 years age group is estimated to be 8.5 million while an estimated 16 million first doses have been given to patients aged 50+ years. "

See
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Its now July.

Your actually confirming exactly what Luke O'Neill said.

Well put Sir.:cool:

I don't have any biases, I'm basing my opinions on the information available.

Is Luke O'Neill your only source on this?

As per the MHRA report published last Thursday:

"The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses. Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups following the first dose compared to the older groups (20.1 per million doses in those aged 18-49 years compared to 10.8 per million doses in those aged 50 years and over)."

The risk is double for the under 50s v over 50s.

Or do you know better than the experts at the MHRA?

Its now July.

Does Luke O'Neill have access to data the rest of the world hasn't seen? There has been no study showing the risk is equal across age groups. If there is do us all a favour and provide a link.

Its now July.

Apologies, the report is actually from the last week of June.

I don't have any biases, I'm basing my opinions on the information available.

Is Luke O'Neill your only source on this?

As per the MHRA report published last Thursday:

"The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses. Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups following the first dose compared to the older groups (20.1 per million doses in those aged 18-49 years compared to 10.8 per million doses in those aged 50 years and over)."

The risk is double for the under 50s v over 50s.

Or do you know better than the experts at the MHRA?

I would believe a well known scientist in ireland over someone on boards.

Its clear you have held a belief from April/May and your not going to change.

Luke O'Neill has changed his mind about the risk.

NIAC has changed their mind about the risk.

Young people in ireland today believe acceptable risk (68% would take an AZ/J&J) if offered.

All these people are idiots, who wont follow the data from April. How foolish they all are.

• Advertisement

It's a balance between the risk of harm from covid (which is higher for older cohorts) and the risk of harm from AZ (which is higher for younger cohorts). Of course this balance is impacted by higher prevalence rates, new variants, etc. Not disputing that for a moment.

A poster asked about the risks associated with the various vaccines. Another poster said the risk from AZ was one in a million which is obviously not the case, so I was responding to that.

Apologies, the report is actually from the last week of June.

I'm supposed to believe your post in totality now when your original post did'nt suit your argument :pac::pac:

It's a balance between the risk of harm from covid (which is higher for older cohorts) and the risk of harm from AZ (which is higher for younger cohorts). Of course this balance is impacted by higher prevalence rates, new variants, etc. Not disputing that for a moment.

A poster asked about the risks associated with the various vaccines. Another poster said the risk from AZ was one in a million which is obviously not the case, so I was responding to that.

Myocarditis is known to increase in younger male MRNA vaccinated cohorts.

Your just biased towards AZ.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/06/10/covid-vaccine-myocarditis-rates-061021

From poll today young people just want A vaccine, any vaccine given the amount of covid in circulation.

We would all be alot more choosy about vaccines (pros and cons of each) and side effects etc. if covid wasnt an ongoing issue.

We dont have that luxury (young or old sick or healthy).

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hundreds-irish-tourists-flock-spain-24459608

What is the HSE vaccination document?

I went to my GP for the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine (second one in 2 weeks) and got a card with the date and the batch number but nothing from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

growleaves wrote: »
    Link

Vaccines do not appear to prevent acquisition and propagation of covid (but we knew that already?)

One very telling thing from this is that they were in the dugout for the game. Says to me they were asymptomatic and raring to play a professional game.

Yes some people will test positive even if vaccinated... the virus is replicating within them probably but the immune system knows exactly what it is and will give it the boot quickly. Much more quickly and with much less issue than if they hadn't been vaccinated.

What we know is that if you are vaccinated, with any of the vaccines you are -

- Much less likely to catch it
    - Much less likely to transmit it
    - If you do "get" it your symptoms will be much milder than otherwise
    - You are almost guaranteed not to die from ti
    - You are almost guaranteed not to end up in hospital from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What's chance boots open bookings again?

Did they cancel everybody's last Friday?

Does Luke O'Neill have access to data the rest of the world hasn't seen? There has been no study showing the risk is equal across age groups. If there is do us all a favour and provide a link.

So Luke O'Neill is just making up stuff on live national radio recently?

NIAC has changed their attitude coincidently also in last few weeks in relation to AZ.

Young people are also willing to take them in todays poll.

Nobody has died of AZ in ireland despite over a million doses given out?

Keep looking for very deadly trends were there is none.

Sure we could all do that if we wanted to.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/twelve-elderly-patients-who-died-after-vaccine-had-other-conditions-1.4488873

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/teen-dies-in-sleep-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-vaccine-cdc-investigating-michigan-saginaw-jacob-clynick-second-dose-vaers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Some amount of spoofing in this thread.

Bottom line. Get vaccinated and help everyone get out of this thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What's chance boots open bookings again?

Did they cancel everybody's last Friday?

Cara pharmacy still have online registration.

Link below, maybe one of those locations are close enough

https://www.carapharmacy.com/en/Covid-19-Vaccine-Pre-Registration/cc-194.aspx

Advertisement