Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork2021 wrote: »
    This and J&J are the game changers big time! Our freedom day is within our grasp!

MM is terrified at the thought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DoodleDooBoo

tailgunner wrote: »
    I've nothing useful to add unfortunately, but just to say I'm in the same boat. Got my first dose of Pfizer from my GP on 11th June and was told I'd be referred to the HSE for the second dose at a vaccination centre, as the GP was finished with vaccinations.

I'm not due for the second dose till the end of next week, but rang the HSE last Monday just to make sure I'm registered. They couldn't find a record for me, but set one up over the phone.

Then today I got a call from a Dublin number I didn't recognise saying my record wasn't created correctly and they were missing my PPS number and other details, which I definitely gave them already. Sounded dodgy so I decided to ring the HSE Live number instead, and they said my record is fine and they have all the info they need.

Assumed it was a scam call, but I googled the number and I've seen it mentioned in this thread too and it actually seems legit. So now I've no idea what to think. Sounds like I might have two separate records on their system, which doesn't inspire confidence!

I'm going to leave it till the end of next week and if I don't hear anything, I'll start ringing every day until I get somewhere.
    Well I'm sorry to hear that you're in the same boat but glad not to be alone! Have you had any joy since? I've kept calling for an update and am just told that a case is still opened and that I should be contacted soon. This thursday will be a month since I should have had my second dose. It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Has it been established to what extent the various vaccinations actually slow down transmission?

Can a (percentage) number be put on it? Has it been?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not saying they were. Saying that if the UK had happened to have a surplus we wouldn't have taken it so as not to embarrass our useless leaders in Brussels.

Micheal Martin effectively weaseled out of that question last Feb or thereabouts. As if we would ever put the national interest ahead of Brussels.

So you're making a statement that is clearly impossible to back up, and using it declare judgement over an unconnected political issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yeah I did too but I'm just wondering if what the GPs are using is linked to a HSE database or whether they just send in completed doses at the end of the week.
    I’d think they’re linked. Only way they can update correctly the numbers again now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Cork2021 wrote: »
    This and J&J are the game changers big time! Our freedom day is within our grasp!

Can we call it something else? Freedom Day is so right wing British tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can we call it something else? Freedom Day is so right wing British tabloid.

Victory day? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Stark wrote: »
    Victory day? :pac:

V-M day. Victory over Microbes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not saying they were. Saying that if the UK had happened to have a surplus we wouldn't have taken it so as not to embarrass our useless leaders in Brussels.

Micheal Martin effectively weaseled out of that question last Feb or thereabouts. As if we would ever put the national interest ahead of Brussels.

The UK were taking in most of their vaccines from Europe and then India, where do the supply of surplus for Ireland come from? From their European supply or their Indian supply?

There was no question for MM to dodge, the UK both flew a kite and shot down that kite on the same day.

Even now, vast majority of vaccines administered in the UK were produced in Europe as they aren't using AZ on <40 year olds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We shall know it as IP-DAY, indoor pints :pac:

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    We shall know it as IP-DAY, indoor pints :pac:

It’ll be the 3 SSS DAY!! On the lash then!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hoping to get my vaccine soon. I'm a 29 year old male and will be turning 30 in September. What's deemed the best vaccine for someone in my cohort? I always assumed it'd be the Pfizer one I'd get but now have the opportunity to get the J&J one quicker. Any advice?

Apologies if I'm asking an obvious question or it's been done to death btw. I trust the vaccines and the science behind them and I know side effects are extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just chatting to my mate who works in a pharmacy in South Dublin and she said they are roughly doing 8 vaccines a day and today all 8 were mates or relations of the pharmacy owner. Imagine it will be similar across the board

Roughly 8 vaccines a day, 5 vaccines in a vial, they throwing the other doses down the sink. This is nonsense to be honest. Pharmacies will do them as quick as they can as that's one of the criteria for getting additional stocks above the minimum quantity.

The funny thing is the vast majority only have stock of vaccines from the over 50s ones that were sent out weeks ago. Max a stores has is 50 until at least Wednesday but a lot used a couple of vials in the meantime. Pharmacy appointments will pick up the end of the week. In my place, we aren't assigning any appointments until stock arrives for obvious reasons. And in all my stores, only 3 had stock while the rest had used most of their stock on the older cohorts in early June

Hoping to get my vaccine soon. I'm a 29 year old male and will be turning 30 in September. What's deemed the best vaccine for someone in my cohort? I always assumed it'd be the Pfizer one I'd get but now have the opportunity to get the J&J one quicker. Any advice?

Apologies if I'm asking an obvious question or it's been done to death btw. I trust the vaccines and the science behind them and I know side effects are extremely rare.

Just take whatever you get offered! All are very effective!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,145 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It was never going to materialise when Ireland said the month previous that if the UK did offer any vaccine, they wouldn't take it as the EU program would suffice...

Irish government then proceed to say they knew nothing of a vaccine offer

Brexit jingoism, yes.... why not call their bluff? Ireland win in both cases

There were reports too that Ireland were offered Moderna from Hungary which was also refused and Germany and Denmark sweeped up... over 500,000 doses

I'm obviously in a government loving circle jerk, so I'll leave you neckbeards to **** over your pictures of Leo and enjoy the extended lockdown measures

...and I will leave you to your own rather strange imagination and baseless claims that when challenged on you had nothing to back them up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Didn't Edwina Curry suggest the UK could give vaccines to Ireland at some stage when on (was it the LL Show)?

And didn't Tubridy (if it was him) suggest at the time that we might be glad of the offer?

About 6 months ago perhaps if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The 1 million jabs will be here soon. Sorting out the logistical issues by copying Denmark's homework :cool:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1412153949344391168

How much realistically can the MVCs be flexed up to administer theses within a few weeks ..presume GPs Pharmacies may be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

amandstu wrote: »
    Didn't Edwina Curry suggest the UK could give vaccines to Ireland at some stage when on (was it the LL Show)?

And didn't Tubridy (if it was him) suggest at the time that we might be glad of the offer?

There was jingoistic spitballing by the UK, at a time when they had nothing to give (they still don't), to impress their local media only.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I really hope we starr to here about how the vaccine roll out leads to an end game here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,145 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

amandstu wrote: »

Eggwina hasn`t been an M.P. for close to a quarter century. I would not put much store on her rambling on the LLS .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

When is the UK projected to have all adults fully vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »

I don't think we have a date. Their vaccination programme has run into some trouble and has slowed down considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Mid September

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm obviously in a government loving circle jerk, so I'll leave you neckbeards to **** over your pictures of Leo and enjoy the extended lockdown measures

27,000 new cases in the UK. Third highest in the world. Increasing at the same rate as the last wave.

All COVID measures are coming to an end in the next few weeks.

Thankfully deaths are few for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Is there any logic to which clinic/vaccination centre people are being allocated?

I got my first dose (Astro Zeneca) a few weeks ago at the Aviva, which is within walking distance for me. For the second dose, they want to send me to Greystones which, according to Google Maps, is an hour and a half away by public transport.

Surely there is a centre somewhere in my county (which is feckin DUBLIN after all) where I could be accommodated. Is this typical?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Strazdas wrote: »
    I don't think we have a date. Their vaccination programme has run into some trouble and has slowed down considerably.

What kind of trouble?

They are a month ahead of the best in Europe in terms of doses administered. It's slowed down in June but that's to be expected when you get to the upper reaches of coverage, and we may see the same effect in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Interesting. I always knew we received the second dose of Pfizer just over the bare minimum interval. HSE minimum is 17 days apart but EMA is 19 days and Pfizer and CDC say 21 days. It was 18 days apart as the hospital received a bigger delivery than expected so expanded the second dose beyond medical staff who had a longer interval. The side effects were fierce for lots of us which would imply it was too soon. I definitely want a booster shot soon. I wonder why the HSE have the lowest interval..

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

England is fully reopening on July 19th.

Nobody in government or NPHET has specifically said that Irish society actually will fully re open when we have 80% vaccinated fully. There have been terms like "relative normality" but not a single public figure has stated that our old lives will return, not one.

We are told this (80% vaccinated) should happen by late August to late September, but not one public figure has categorically stated that we will be in packed pubs and rammed nightclubs after this date. They are too fond of terms like the new normal and other scutter.

The US has nowhere near this amount vaccinated and even left wing liberal states have all but fully re opened.

England, which has far from 80% fully vaccinated, is pledging to have full pubs and nightclubs three weekends from now.

The North is reviewing their own progress on July 8th.

It is quite possible that on the coming August Bank Holiday weekend young people in Dundalk will at best be drinking in a beer garden but can hop in a taxi to go to a nightclub in Newry.

It is absolutely comical at this stage and MM should be jailed and sued to the poor house over his inept handling of it.

I think it was previously said on this thread that the UK 80% is 80% of population while our 80% (August) is 80% of adults. Very different thing.
    Apologies if I remember incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭klose

growleaves wrote: »
    Link

Vaccines do not appear to prevent acquisition and propagation of covid (but we knew that already?)

The nurse who jabbed me yesterday basically gave a statement of facts about the vaccine etc and the last line was basically it won't fully cover you from getting covid, it's to prevent you from getting sick/dying, which is all anyone would care about really.

Advertisement