Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

xboxdad wrote: »
    I think it was previously said on this thread that the UK 80% is 80% of population while our 80% (August) is 80% of adults. Very different thing.
    Apologies if I remember incorrectly.
    For now, the upper limit for the UK and Ireland is 80% of the total population fully vaccinated, the other 20% are ineligible.

Our original target was 82% of those eligible (i.e. adults) to be offered a vaccine by the end of June. Which was missed because of supply.

If this Romanian deal comes through, the talk is that we could have the entire adult population with a first dose by the first week in August, fully vaxxed by the time colleges go back.

That'd be a full month ahead of our original schedule set out in March. The UK is not expected to finish until October IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Can we call it something else? Freedom Day is so right wing British tabloid.

How about "The day most restrictions are lifted".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Let's not commemorate it at all in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is there any logic to which clinic/vaccination centre people are being allocated?

I got my first dose (Astro Zeneca) a few weeks ago at the Aviva, which is within walking distance for me. For the second dose, they want to send me to Greystones which, according to Google Maps, is an hour and a half away by public transport.

Surely there is a centre somewhere in my county (which is feckin DUBLIN after all) where I could be accommodated. Is this typical?

I believe the Aviva, UCD & Greystones are all being used for Dublin & Wicklow as they're the same public health area.

Sure there's people in South Dublin / North Wicklow where Greystones would be easier but they're getting sent to the Aviva.

It's all about where the capacity is & it's possible the Aviva might not be doing AZ on that particular day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Is there any logic to which clinic/vaccination centre people are being allocated?

I got my first dose (Astro Zeneca) a few weeks ago at the Aviva, which is within walking distance for me. For the second dose, they want to send me to Greystones which, according to Google Maps, is an hour and a half away by public transport.

Surely there is a centre somewhere in my county (which is feckin DUBLIN after all) where I could be accommodated. Is this typical?

There is logic.
    You are being sent where vaccines are being supplied to. Obviously Greystones has more people getting Astra Zeneca.
    This is happening all over the country. And you're luckier than a lot in that you can avail of public transport. Lots can't.
    You can always cancel and see if you're offered someplace else.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    27,000 new cases in the UK. Third highest in the world. Increasing at the same rate as the last wave.

All COVID measures are coming to an end in the next few weeks.

Thankfully deaths are few for now.

the infection rate increase = death rate increase theory was disproven weeks ago thankfully

there is heavy emphasis on proactive testing in the UK still, so there is a trend towards new infections being asymptomatic infections detected during these tests or from track and trace.... not people getting tested because they are unwell

Which is great news.... bring on 19th... although it's been pretty normal for a few weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Interesting to see the numbers done per MVC

https://twitter.com/muirtheimhne/status/1412298268663558144?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Pfizer reporting that they expect 16k staff and relatives to be fully vaccinated by end of July and are in the process of passing the data on those who received it to the HSE. Nice little boost to the vaccine program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭blackcard

seamus wrote: »
    For now, the upper limit for the UK and Ireland is 80% of the total population fully vaccinated, the other 20% are ineligible.

Our original target was 82% of those eligible (i.e. adults) to be offered a vaccine by the end of June. Which was missed because of supply.

If this Romanian deal comes through, the talk is that we could have the entire adult population with a first dose by the first week in August, fully vaxxed by the time colleges go back.

That'd be a full month ahead of our original schedule set out in March. The UK is not expected to finish until October IIRC.

What is the anticipated percentage of adults in Ireland and the UK who want to take a vaccine? As the amount of people getting the vaccine slos down and eventually becomes a trickle, will the MVC's be shut down or are they kept in place for boosters? Will there be issues with storage as the roll out slows down? Has any country dosed U18's yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blackcard wrote: »
    What is the anticipated percentage of adults in Ireland and the UK who want to take a vaccine? As the amount of people getting the vaccine slos down and eventually becomes a trickle, will the MVC's be shut down or are they kept in place for boosters? Will there be issues with storage as the roll out slows down? Has any country dosed U18's yet?
    Israel has done U18s and US too. MVCs will wind down in time. Boosters are likely to be aimed at the more vulnerable like care homes etc and GPs/pharmacies a more probable option for the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Interesting. I always knew we received the second dose of Pfizer just over the bare minimum interval. HSE minimum is 17 days apart but EMA is 19 days and Pfizer and CDC say 21 days. It was 18 days apart as the hospital received a bigger delivery than expected so expanded the second dose beyond medical staff who had a longer interval. The side effects were fierce for lots of us which would imply it was too soon. I definitely want a booster shot soon. I wonder why the HSE have the lowest interval..

Where do you get the idea that side effect intensity has anything to do with whether the dosing interval was too soon? Are you going to back that up with anything, or are you just pulling that one out of behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well I'm sorry to hear that you're in the same boat but glad not to be alone! Have you had any joy since? I've kept calling for an update and am just told that a case is still opened and that I should be contacted soon. This thursday will be a month since I should have had my second dose. It's infuriating.

No joy since. I rang since and got the same as you - just wait to get contacted. I'm only due for my second dose at the end of the week, so not overly concerned yet.

Hope you get sorted soon, a month late for the second dose is a bit mad!

the Pfizer vaccine has been noted to have more of the common side effects after the second dose, I haven't seen anything relating to intensity of those symptoms because of length of time between doses

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blackcard wrote: »
    What is the anticipated percentage of adults in Ireland and the UK who want to take a vaccine?
    The percentage of people who say they'll refuse the vaccine is about 7% in the UK and 4% in Ireland, though reducing all the time. The "unsure" percentages funnily are reversed, 4% and 7%. So both countries have about 89% who will definitely take the vaccine.

The UK has bigger pockets of ethnic communities where uptake is low. It would be silly to assume these ethnic communities in Ireland don't have the same issues. The size of the communities is likely smaller though, which means there shouldn't be any major issue with localised outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wife had moderna dose 2 yesterday AM and had a very rough night ! Sore arm as before but also a headache and temperature spikes . She said she felt freezing but at same time had a high temp. No sleep for her

I had Pfizer dose 2 yesterday afternoon . Had sore back and leg muscles as after dose 1. Muscle fatigue I guess you could call it. This time I did have sore arm overnight which I didn’t after dose 1.
    Very little sleep but that may be due to the first paragraph :D

We are heading away to a hotel in our county tomorrow for 3 nights. Glad it’s not today tbh

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »

With those million doses incoming and that group being brought forward, they might be actually planning to open for 25-29 on Monday, when the AZ opt-in opens up, given that move forward perfectly coincides with 30 year olds (the bottom of the 30-34 range) registering on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

GLaDOS wrote: »

I’d be incredibly appreciative if they could give people 35+ their appointments before moving on to the next group. I’m still here twiddling my thumbs (and checking the portal so frequently I’m now convinced I’m OCD) and nothing. Not trying to begrudge others, just really frustrated.

ShadowTech wrote: »
    I’d be incredibly appreciative if they could give people 35+ their appointments before moving on to the next group. I’m still here twiddling my thumbs (and checking the portal so frequently I’m now convinced I’m OCD) and nothing. Not trying to begrudge others, just really frustrated.

You'll get it before the 30-34s get their appt, and also you'll usually only get 48 hours notice or so. They'll be flying through everyone when the extra 1 million doses arrive early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

rm212 wrote: »
    You'll get it before the 30-34s get their appt, and also you'll usually only get 48 hours notice or so. They'll be flying through everyone when the extra 1 million doses arrive early next week.

I really hope you’re right. I don’t mind who gets what first; I just hate the uncertainty of not knowing when I’ll be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

ShadowTech wrote: »

Understandable, and I'm in the same group. But it's a conveyor belt system; you don't wait for the last Jaffa Cake to get coated in chocolate before you start baking the next batch, you just keep moving along.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

“Tá ár lá tagtha” perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Anyone know what is happening with Pharmacy’s giving vaccine for 18-34s?

My local pharmacy’s are not taking bookings and just say they atr waiting for stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cona44 wrote: »
    Anyone know what is happening with Pharmacy’s giving vaccine for 18-34s?

My local pharmacy’s are not taking bookings and just say they atr waiting for stock...

What the pharmacy said !

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

Hi all, I should have had my second shot yesterday (Pfizer - City Hall Cork), but I'm still waiting on an appointment. Anyone know approximately how long the delay is at the moment? Have a lot of travel within the country to plan this week, and have to go abroad with work next week, so trying to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Hi all, I should have had my second shot yesterday (Pfizer - City Hall Cork), but I'm still waiting on an appointment. Anyone know approximately how long the delay is at the moment? Have a lot of travel within the country to plan this week, and have to go abroad with work next week, so trying to plan.

How many weeks since the first jab? I was told in Cork that the wait is currently 5 weeks between doses. (Heard 3 and 4 weeks other places)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Report here from Canada (was on r/covid) corroborating with previous PHE findings on efficacy of mRNA and AZ/ChAdOx1 against Delta and other variants.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v1

Seems more positive than the Israeli news which again might be from particular health providers with limited data, however it might be that efficacy lowers when a society is fully or nearly unrestricted, such as in Israel where the number of fully vaccinated seems to have stalled at 60% and below the threshold of herd immunity for Delta.

Overall, the outlook is unpredictable, and the government here has found a balance. We can surf on feel-good tweets #vaccinesworkbitches etc but realistically we won't know fully until we reach herd immunity and whether high rates in other partially vaccinated countries generate further dangerous mutations, although probably not.

I'd expect Ireland and the UK, plus Canada, to be the first to herd immunity. I'm a little worried that by end of July / Aug with high rates of Covid it will be difficult to travel again and my children will be vulnerable to infection in school but thankfully, at least, we are not taking the English approach which again seems not just reckless, but stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Regarding travel. Will we be allowed travel the day after getting a second dose (or one dose for J&J) or can we only travel whenever the vaccine is deemed effective after last dose (2 weeks in the case of J&J)? This isn't clear from the information in the media or on citizens information.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Regarding travel. Will we be allowed travel the day after getting a second dose (or one dose for J&J) or can we only travel whenever the vaccine is deemed effective after last dose (2 weeks in the case of J&J)? This isn't clear from the information in the media or on citizens information.

After the 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

cgcsb wrote: »

Depends on the Vaccine, 7 days from 2. Pfizer shot, 14 day after First (and only) J&J shot and so on. Information is on HSE.ie.
    It's unclear how to obtain the proof of vaccination that enables travel at the moment, but allegedly we will be able to obtain it from the 19. July

Advertisement