Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's good craic today ringing scheduling people into pharmacy for J&J. People are over the moon and a real feel good factor.

Finding about 1 in 4 have already gotten an appointment elsewhere which is actually good given the size of the waiting list. Our system was first come first serve and most of the appointments today were people who registered on Friday Hopefully supply kicks up to get through more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Interesting... but somewhat expected.... the figures were always going to be skewed under lockdown conditions...

63% is still higher than most seasonal flu jabs which hover around 50% for the majority

This study includes asymptomatic infections. The 90%+ efficacy of Pfizer with previous variants pertained to symptomatic infection. A study from Ontario yesterday reported 87% efficacy against symptomatic infection from Delta, which corroborated the Public Health England study a few weeks ago (88% effective against symptoms).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

My wife turns 30 next week, will she be able to register tomorrow or will she have to wait another week?

If she's born in 1991 she'll be able to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Curious (not that it makes much difference) but since its 34yo registering at midnight im 34 next month should i hang on until Thursday or give it a bash tonight? I realise the difference it will make is tiny but ive been waiting for this moment for so long now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BarleyPie

Is there any information online about what the process is if you test positive for covid before your vaccine date? It hasnt happened to me, but my job involves coming into contact with a lot of people. Im so close now to getting my first vaccine, I dont want to take any risks that might prevent me from getting it.

• Advertisement

Curious (not that it makes much difference) but since its 34yo registering at midnight im 34 next month should i hang on until Thursday or give it a bash tonight? I realise the difference it will make is tiny but ive been waiting for this moment for so long now.....

There's no real need to wait until Thursday. It's not likely to get you done any quicker, but it gets the registration out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

BarleyPie wrote: »
    Is there any information online about what the process is if you test positive for covid before your vaccine date? It hasnt happened to me, but my job involves coming into contact with a lot of people. Im so close now to getting my first vaccine, I dont want to take any risks that might prevent me from getting it.
    Boots mention this in their Pfizer vaccine sign-up:
    If diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last few weeks must ensure they do not attend for [a vaccine] appointment until four weeks after their diagnosis.
    I haven't been able to find anything from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm hearing of lots of nepotism in the pharmacies. waiting lists for months but people who haven't registered an appointment being asked to go in for their shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm hearing of lots of nepotism in the pharmacies. waiting lists for months but people who haven't registered an appointment being asked to go in for their shot.

Yup my flatmate got the train to cork this morning to get the vaccine at her uncles pharmacy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Boots mention this in their Pfizer vaccine sign-up:

I haven't been able to find anything from the HSE.

Its one of the screening questions you get asked before getting injected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Husband, 62, got fed up waiting for his second AZ appointment (almost 9 weeks) so drove up to the Enniscorhy vacc centre this morning. Got the jab no problem at all, told "we're very quiet today". Quickly posted the info on a couple of his local gardening Whatsapp groups - result, four more 60+s second jabbed within hours.

Something wrong with the system clearly. I, 69, registered for AZ on day 1 but instead got Pfizer from my GP a few of days before my appointment. I rang and cancelled the AZ with good notice but the message wasn't passed on. Its very frustrating knowing there's spare capacity and people waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of the pharmacies giving the Pfizer vaccine?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given that you will be 34 very soon, you have nothing to lose by attempting to register.....you might as well take your chances.

Its one of the screening questions you get asked before getting injected

So if I test positive for covid, I still go along to my appointment and then I will answer a screener which will presumably mean I cant get my vaccine that day? Surely if I test positive for covid, I wouldnt even be allowed to go to the vaccine centre?

I was looking on the HSE QandA page but there was no information about this situation, which I think is odd. Surely it's not that uncommon for people to test positive for covid before their vaccine date?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So if I test positive for covid, I still go along to my appointment and then I will answer a screener which will presumably mean I cant get my vaccine that day? Surely if I test positive for covid, I wouldnt even be allowed to go to the vaccine centre?

I was looking on the HSE QandA page but there was no information about this situation, which I think is odd. Surely it's not that uncommon for people to test positive for covid before their vaccine date?

You get asked if you have had Covid in the last four weeks

If the answer is yes, I don't think they will give you the jab

So if I tested positive for covid today and my vaccine appointment is scheduled for tomorrow, what happens? Obviously I wouldnt go to the appointment, but how long would I then have to wait before I can get my vaccine? I dunno if its just me, but it seems odd that there's no information about this scenario on the HSE Q&A page.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

So if I tested positive for covid today and my vaccine appointment is scheduled for tomorrow, what happens? Obviously I wouldnt go to the appointment, but how long would I then have to wait before I can get my vaccine? I dunno if its just me, but it seems odd that there's no information about this scenario on the HSE Q&A page.

Well getting Covid qualifies you for the vaccine bonuses/passes/whatever else for 9 months anyway. It's the equivalent of getting a dose of vaccine. After a few weeks of testing positive and recovering you can then contact the HSE about getting a single dose of one of the two-dose jabs, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to HSE guidelines, you are supposed to self isolate for 10 days after you first became sick, or for 10 days after your positive test if you have no symptoms. Presumably after that, you are good to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

4 weeks is the guidance we've been given following a positive test. Otherwise no vaccine to be administered. Weird its not on the HSE Q&A

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Also be aware that they wont give a vaccine if you had any other vaccine in last four weeks . A friend got turned away because she had a tetanus shot 10 days before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

The quote I posted suggests you should wait 4 weeks from when you are told you have Covid to attend a vaccine appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

At this stage is it still worth calling pharmacies (have given details to around a dozen already), or am I likely to get Jannsen vaccine sooner by waiting for the online portal that's opening next Monday (age 30)?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cgcsb wrote: »

Relax, this was always going to happen. It's up there with GPs doing 20 somethings! Once supplies arrive it'll all go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Niall145 wrote: »
    At this stage is it still worth calling pharmacies (have given details to around a dozen already), or am I likely to get Jannsen vaccine sooner by waiting for the online portal that's opening next Monday (age 30)?
    Well, you can register in your own right on Sunday for the HSE portal. If you are double booked you'll get one cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

What are the projections on the J&J supply for July and August? They've not been great at delivering on time through Q2.

Wondering because we're coming into a stage now where I'm trying to figure out what the fastest way out is. I sign up for mRNA HSE portal on Thursday, then the J&J portal next Monday. Donnelly claiming people who sign up this week will be jabbed with first dose mRNA next week, so second dose in early August and fully vaxxed two weeks after that. If J&J supply is going to be so choked as to run on for weeks, it might end up not being a faster alternative at all because you still have to wait two weeks after getting it for the full benefit.

Also has there been any indication if the J&J portal is going to be going chronologically? If a load of 34 year olds sign up on Monday will they get first preference on the jabs over 18 year olds even though they have the mRNA option weeks/months before those 18 year olds, or has there been any clarity on how that's going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

tailgunner wrote: »
    No joy since. I rang since and got the same as you - just wait to get contacted. I'm only due for my second dose at the end of the week, so not overly concerned yet.

Hope you get sorted soon, a month late for the second dose is a bit mad!

I actually just got a text with an appointment at Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork tomorrow, that'll be 26 days after my first dose. Sounds like it might have been a cancellation with such short notice, but I'm obviously not complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Also be aware that they wont give a vaccine if you had any other vaccine in last four weeks . A friend got turned away because she had a tetanus shot 10 days before

Obviously not a Vaccine but I got a B12 injection last week and I’m due my Vaccine tomorrow, wonder does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Portal is now open for 30-35s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lyle wrote: »
    What are the projections on the J&J supply for July and August? They've not been great at delivering on time through Q2.

Wondering because we're coming into a stage now where I'm trying to figure out what the fastest way out is. I sign up for mRNA HSE portal on Thursday, then the J&J portal next Monday. Donnelly claiming people who sign up this week will be jabbed with first dose mRNA next week, so second dose in early August and fully vaxxed two weeks after that. If J&J supply is going to be so choked as to run on for weeks, it might end up not being a faster alternative at all because you still have to wait two weeks after getting it for the full benefit.

Also has there been any indication if the J&J portal is going to be going chronologically? If a load of 34 year olds sign up on Monday will they get first preference on the jabs over 18 year olds even though they have the mRNA option weeks/months before those 18 year olds, or has there been any clarity on how that's going to work?

Good questions, and ones I would like to know the answer of too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

As you pointed out, if you've just tested positive you should be isolating and should know not to go anywhere, but you're right - it should be in the FAQ that you won't get a vaccine within 4 weeks of a positive test so that you know not to accept an appoinment within that period. As someone pointed out, you will have immunity for a nine month period after covid so getting the vaccine will not be as urgent for you. FYI, the info about the 4 weeks is on the HSE website but it's in the information for professionals section

Advertisement