Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

AhhHere wrote: »
    Looking for some answers.

- Had a boots appointment. Was cancelled
    - Another pharmacy called for 2 weeks time
    - should I still register with HSE in case the pharmacy appointment falls through for whatever reason?

Not counting anything until I have it. Want to make sure I give myself the best chance.

I would still register and if you do get the pharmacy vaccine, you can cancel with the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Godot. wrote: »
    Ursula is great for ordering stuff but unless these are arriving soon it's pretty meh.
    Apparently some countries have activated the option.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-orders-nearly-40-million-additional-jj-covid-vaccines-2021-07-06/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

airy fairy wrote: »
    There is logic.
    You are being sent where vaccines are being supplied to. Obviously Greystones has more people getting Astra Zeneca.
    This is happening all over the country. And you're luckier than a lot in that you can avail of public transport. Lots can't.
    You can always cancel and see if you're offered someplace else.

That's just what I did. The call centre actually said that was a mistaken appointment as I shouldn't really be sent half way to Wexford from central Dublin, so I cancelled. Might take an extra week or so but not bothered.

If needs really must I'll schlep down to Greystones, but it would be much more efficient all round if I could get one in central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

I'm being bold, but I want to ask do you think I would get the vaccine faster if I were to register with my parents home address instead of my Dublin address given the delays in Dublin? Or do you think they will ramp up and catch up quickly once the shipments arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    I believe it will be automatic.

It won't take you off manual lists in pharmacies. If you get a pharmacy one it'll knock you off the HSE options (mRNA and the voluntary AZ/JJ one yet to open) when they upload that you're done, which could be days later

So cancel your own apppointments preferably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

I'm being bold, but I want to ask do you think I would get the vaccine faster if I were to register with my parents home address instead of my Dublin address given the delays in Dublin? Or do you think they will ramp up and catch up quickly once the shipments arrive?
    No-one here will know for sure.

Will you be able to travel for the appointment easily if they give you a appointment near them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm not really that annoyed about it. :pac:
    But it is a joke to say that a private business can do as they see fit with public property.

They're not though.
    They're vaccinating people between 18-34 and over 50.
    Exactly what they were told to do.

You're expecting far too much from pharmacies. MVCs aren't vaccinating by age either. You have 39 year olds and 35 year olds vaccinated on the same day.

From AFP, interesting on the 3 doses.

"Faced with very little data – and fears that some of these patients could be particularly vulnerable to the virus - scientists are seeking to figure out how to best protect them.

In one of the largest research projects into the issue so far, dozens of French hospitals have launched a two-year study of some 10,000 people to help shine light onto how people with these conditions respond to immunisation for the coronavirus. Authorities like the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say people with compromised immune systems can receive the vaccine, but stress that there is still little data on safety.

“If you have a condition or are taking medications that weaken your immune system, you may not be fully protected even if you are fully vaccinated,” the CDC adds.

People’s immune systems can be suppressed by disease - or by treatments taken to deal with other conditions - and this may mean their body has trouble producing the antibodies vaccines are meant to trigger.

Conditions where this might be the case include diabetes, obesity, cancer, organ and bone marrow transplants, chronic severe kidney failure, HIV or multiple sclerosis. In the case of a transplant, a patient’s immune response is suppressed on purpose to prevent his or her body from attacking the new organ.

Another French study published in the New England Journal of Medicine looked at 100 transplant patients and found their immune response to vaccines was insufficient after two doses. Scientists recommended three doses for those patients, which is now the rule in France."

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Pharmacies are private businesses.

Everyone from 30 up should have a shot in their arm in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    We've waited 7 months so far. What's another few weeks.
    As people have probably noted by now, they are distributing vaccines which have been paid for by the government and pharmacies would have agreed with the government will be distributed in a certain way. The medical industry is usually covered in a web of ethics agreements that they operate under regardless.

There may be worse things going on in the world right now, but "private businesses" doesn't cover something like this.

- should I still register with HSE in case the pharmacy appointment falls through for whatever reason?

Not counting anything until I have it. Want to make sure I give myself the best chance.
    From what I've seen, Boots will cancel appointments if you are not of the correct age at the point of booking (even if you will be at the correct age when you show up to the appointment). This might explain the cancellation. You could try again when they update their platform for the new age group. If you're of the correct age, then I have no idea.

You should still register with the HSE if you have no definite date for a vaccination - the HSE's system should update if you get vaccinated elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    No-one here will know for sure.

Will you be able to travel for the appointment easily if they give you a appointment near them?

Thank you for replying. Yeah, I moved up to Dublin from Laois earlier in the year, so just under an hour away. I suppose either way I won't be waiting more than a few weeks.

Like everyone, I am eager to get it done as soon as possible when I finally get to register later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Probably asked all over the thread, with 30-34 open tomorrow can we register at midnight or is it open around 9 or so tomorrow?

Hococop wrote: »
    Probably asked all over the thread, with 30-34 open tomorrow can we register at midnight or is it open around 9 or so tomorrow?
    It's open right now so you can register.

The text isn't updated on the website, but you can complete the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

As people have probably noted by now, they are distributing vaccines which have paid for by the government and pharmacies would have agreed with the government that they will be distributed in a way decided by the government.

Pharmacies were given clear instructions on Pfizer vaccinations (vaccinate in line with current cohort) the Janssen vaccine was vaccinate anyone in the 18-34 cohort. Pharmacies probably would have preferred a more targeted approach to reduce the number of calls/registrations they've recieved in the last 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It's open right now so you can register.

The text isn't updated on the website, but you can complete the registration.

Just click the 35-69 tab and register even if I'm not in that group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

By registering on the portal this week you are asking for an Astra Zeneca or J&J vaccine. My guess is you may get the AZ offer.
    My daughter is only on a pharmacy wait list, she will register on the portal when the time comes for the Pfizer/Moderna.

Hococop wrote: »
    Just click the 35-69 tab and register even if I'm not in that group?
    Yes. The form will accept your birth year if you're in the 30-34 age group.

By registering on the portal this week you are asking for an Astra Zeneca or J&J vaccine. My guess is you may get the AZ offer.
    My daughter is only on a pharmacy wait list, she will register on the portal when the time comes for the Pfizer/Moderna.
    Isn't there a need to opt-in for both of those?

I 'think' you register for both, not just one. There are, apparently, lots of AZ leftovers, so I'd imagine they'll ship the j&j to pharmacies and keep AZ for mvc and do the remaining over 50/60's with them.
    I'm only guessing mind you.

The thing I wonder is, if you register for those, get offered AZ, refuse, are you in line for a j&j, or in time, do you simply get in line for Pfizer, or are you totally committed to those two alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fergal Bowers reporting HSE expect to complete AZ second doses by the end of next week (around 120,000 people left).

• Advertisement

I 'think' you register for both, not just one. There are, apparently, lots of AZ leftovers, so I'd imagine they'll ship the j&j to pharmacies and keep AZ for mvc and do the remaining over 50/60's with them.
    I'm only guessing mind you.

The thing I wonder is, if you register for those, get offered AZ, refuse, are you in line for a j&j, or in time, do you simply get in line for Pfizer, or are you totally committed to those two alone.
    No, I mean don't you have to consent to them in that 18-34 group as against the mRNA which they just assign?

No, I mean don't you have to consent to them in that 18-34 group as against the mRNA which they just assign?

Sorry, yes I assume so, same as in the pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The opt in will start on Monday (the 12th). Anyone under the age of 30 who registers on the portal will effectively be opting in to receive a J & J or AZ dose at an MVC. I assume all the details will be announced this weekend before it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ignore it. Worked for me 1988.

1989 - registered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

From what I've seen, Boots will cancel appointments if you are not of the correct age at the point of booking (even if you will be at the correct age when you show up to the appointment). This might explain the cancellation. You could try again when they update their platform for the new age group. If you're of the correct age, then I have no idea.

You should still register with the HSE if you have no definite date for a vaccination - the HSE's system should update if you get vaccinated elsewhere.

I was informed by Boots today that they cancelled appointments as the slots should not have went live. Any appointments that were not cancelled were for slots where they actually had supply of the J&J vaccine. Today for example, the last jab was at 12.30pm, but the booking was open all afternoon last Friday in error. So some got in, and some didn't. Was nothing to do with your age when you booked. I know 3 people (18-34) who booked with Boots last Friday morning and appointments are honoured and confirmed.

PS. very easy process in Boots, in and out in about 25 mins. A pleasure!

shmeee wrote: »
    I was informed by Boots today that they cancelled appointments as the slots should not have went live. Any appointments that were not cancelled were for slots where they actually had supply of the J&J vaccine. Today for example, the last jab was at 12.30pm, but the booking was open all afternoon last Friday in error. So some got in, and some didn't. Was nothing to do with your age when you booked. I know 3 people (18-34) who booked with Boots last Friday morning and appointments are honoured and confirmed.

PS. very easy process in Boots, in and out in about 25 mins. A pleasure!
    I should clarify that I booked for a Pfizer vaccine with Boots and had it cancelled, only for someone else in this thread to say they had their appointment on the same day and venue kept and mentioned their age was 35 so I assumed this was the difference.

Not great to know any appointment could be dropped without a way to tell, but oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers reporting HSE expect to complete AZ second doses by the end of next week (around 120,000 people left).

Wow. We are absolutely blazing through them. Astonishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Registering on the main portal is for mRNA only for those age groups

There will be a different, opt-in registration option for MVC delivered AZ/JJ for those age groups in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

29 and received the J&J this morning in a pharmacy. Basically told to expect a fever of some kind. Knowing my luck I will have zero side effects, as I have none now!

Yeah, I feel fairly rough now :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, I feel fairly rough now :o:D

What time ya get yours at? I was at 13:00 and still feeling fairly okay.

Advertisement