Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bellie1 wrote: »
    Anyone have breakdown of ages in the country. The CSO seems to have eg 45-60 or something like that, anyways wasnt by decade.

CSO table PEA04, April 2020

Age Group Thousands
    0 - 4 years 309.5
    5 - 9 years 344.1
    10 - 14 years 350
    15 - 19 years 323.9
    20 - 24 years 307.2
    25 - 29 years 292.2
    30 - 34 years 324
    35 - 39 years 386.5
    40 - 44 years 393.7
    45 - 49 years 358.5
    50 - 54 years 316
    55 - 59 years 292.7
    60 - 64 years 258.9
    65 - 69 years 224.2
    70 - 74 years 190.8
    75 - 79 years 134.1
    80 - 84 years 89.8
    85 years and over 81.2
    All ages 4977.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^^ Remember there are 260k frontline healthcare workers across the working age groups in the table above who have had one dose, but about 150k of those still need a second dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Lumen wrote: »
    ^^ Remember there are 260k frontline healthcare workers across the working age groups in the table above who have had one dose, but about 150k of those still need a second dose.

Have to also take account that many in lower age groups have already got jabbed due to been in the relevant at risk groups plus with 300k per week at the moment rising to 400k per week in June we are motoring now! I say their 82% target won't be far off and likely reached maybe second - third week of July.

Feeling positive folks!!

Lumen wrote: »
    CSO table PEA04, April 2020

Age Group Thousands
    0 - 4 years 309.5
    5 - 9 years 344.1
    10 - 14 years 350
    15 - 19 years 323.9
    20 - 24 years 307.2
    25 - 29 years 292.2
    30 - 34 years 324
    35 - 39 years 386.5
    40 - 44 years 393.7
    45 - 49 years 358.5
    50 - 54 years 316
    55 - 59 years 292.7
    60 - 64 years 258.9
    65 - 69 years 224.2
    70 - 74 years 190.8
    75 - 79 years 134.1
    80 - 84 years 89.8
    85 years and over 81.2
    All ages 4977.4

Currently doing 300k k jabs a week,200k min probably of which are 1st
    By the end of july they could start 18 to 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Currently doing 300k k jabs a week,200k min probably of which are 1st
    By the end of july they could start 18 to 30

It's 400k a week in June.

Also that 300k a week at the moment doesn't include all doctors who are doing vaccines due to the hacking situation. Expect the number to rise a bit further in what was done the last few weeks.

*I really wish we had the daily figures for vaccines. Inner nerd needs figures and graphs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

J&J will be offered, as an option, to those aged 40-44 according to Leo Varadkar.
    He said that the vaccine portal would open to people between 40 and 44 “in the coming days”. There will be an option for this group to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

JTMan wrote: »
    J&J will be offered, as an option, to those aged 40-44 according to Leo Varadkar.

The Germans have today announced that they are expecting a bigger delivery of J&J next week than they initially anticipated. This would work out at roughly 45k J&J arriving for us next week. (17k this week)

They are also expecting a seriously big AZ delivery on first week of June. Would work out at 150K for us.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognosen_aller_Hersteller_2._Quartal.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

It's 400k a week in June.

Also that 300k a week at the moment doesn't include all doctors who are doing vaccines due to the hacking situation. Expect the number to rise a bit further in what was done the last few weeks.

*I really wish we had the daily figures for vaccines. Inner nerd needs figures and graphs!

It's 300k and that includes GPs. Our current supply is about 260k but we are working through a stockpile of mRNA.

J&J is not suitable for 45-49 but is suitable for 40-44 who are at an even higher risk of clots. The mind boggles.
    If it came from the EU factory I would take it but if it is from that kip Emergent Biosolutions then I wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

In my experience it seems if you have a BMI showing you are unhealthy then you get the jab quicker via your doctor, yet if you try to keep healthy and fit you are bottom of the queue.

Might as well just eat all the pies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

JTMan wrote: »

Why would it be safe for 40-44 but not for 45-49?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

km79 wrote: »

It's opt in. They didn't have it set up in time for the over 45s. I don't see the issue. No one will be forced to take it. Men are particularly low risk and I suspect plenty will opt in to be done with a single jab. It's good news for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Anyone any idea of when the 35 to 39 age groups can register?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

harr wrote: »
    Why are they opening registration so early for the age groups ? Surely it would make more sense to wait till they are at least halfway through the current age bracket.
    Most centres are still finishing off the over 50s and the 45-49s won’t start till next week at some point and yet they are opening the registration for the 40-45s next week.

What benefit could be obtained from slowing down the registration of future vaccinees. It is now at an age point where there is almost universal internet access. The HSE obtaining further data as to the numbers in each area n each age cohort who want the vaccine would be valuable planning data support the retention, expansion or creation of MVCs. Registration shouldn’t necessarily mean an immediate vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

In my experience it seems if you have a BMI showing you are unhealthy then you get the jab quicker via your doctor, yet if you try to keep healthy and fit you are bottom of the queue.

If you smoke 40 a day you’re likely to get cancer treatment before a non smoker too. I think you might be on to something here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

km79 wrote: »

45-49 can get it. I suspect that it isn’t really an option right now as no one in the HSE is doing anything due to the hack, so the opt in process isn’t in place to be used yet. Also there isn’t much available. If they receive a bunch in the next week, you may see the group get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It just doesn't make any sense that those who are less healthy would be a greater priority. From the very beginning they should've been targeting healthy 21 year olds. Unelected NPHET clowns at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Wonder if the Brits would consider a 'good will' swap of some of our AZ stockpile that we won't be able to use for some of their Pfizer/Moderna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It just doesn't make any sense that those who are less healthy would be a greater priority. From the very beginning they should've been targeting healthy 21 year olds. Unelected NPHET clowns at it again.

Because they're much more likely to die if they contract the SARS-COV2 virus and aren't vaccinated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

astrofool wrote: »
    Because they're much more likely to die if they contract the SARS-COV2 virus and aren't vaccinated?

I'm 98% sure George was being sarcastic

At least I hope he was :pac:

Wales has over half thec18 to 29 group done with one dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm 98% sure George was being sarcastic

At least I hope he was :pac:

I'm 98% certain of that too (just can't 100% rule out that we should've allowed the elderly to die so healthy people could post their vaccine selfies a little sooner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of when the 35 to 39 age groups can register?

Don't think anyone can really predict that right now. As much guesswork as is involved in any of this, until something concrete materialises for 40-44 there'd really be no basis behind any predictions that might be made for the next group after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm in absolute two minds if I get offered pfizer or J&J. Pfizer seems to be the gold standard - works against all variants, new vaccine technology, etc etc. But one and done with J&J is verrrrry tempting. I read something about the risk of becoming immune to the actual vaccine if you get multiple top ups of AZ or J&J, whereas there isn't the risk of that with the MrNA vaccines. But it seems you can mix and match so I could get J&J now, and Pfizer when I need a booster.

Tis a conundrum. A very welcome conundrum but a head scratcher all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

JDD wrote: »
    I'm in absolute two minds if I get offered pfizer or J&J. Pfizer seems to be the gold standard - works against all variants, new vaccine technology, etc etc. But one and done with J&J is verrrrry tempting. I read something about the risk of becoming immune to the actual vaccine if you get multiple top ups of AZ or J&J, whereas there isn't the risk of that with the MrNA vaccines. But it seems you can mix and match so I could get J&J now, and Pfizer when I need a booster.

Tis a conundrum. A very welcome conundrum but a head scratcher all the same.

For the sake of a few weeks I’ll wait I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

So as a healthy (Afaik) 44 year old male, anyone put a case for why I should opt for Janssen vaccine over Pfizer/Moderna?
    Some info to help:
    I work in a school, but am admin, so not regular close contact with children
    My wife getting Pfizer 4th June ( tenuous cohort 7)
    All older/vulnerable close relatives fully vaccinated
    Intending to head abroad for a holiday in safe (low incidence)EU country TBC in August if legal
    I believe from my own reading here and elsewhere that mRna possibly " more future proof "(re variants)
    I'm in Sligo, where currently registration to Pfizer vaccine date seems to be less than a week

I'm 40, how will I know when I should register? Is there somewhere I can check or is it just announced in the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm 40, how will I know when I should register? Is there somewhere I can check or is it just announced in the news?

This page here will be updated to mention 40 year olds the second registration is open. It also links to the registration page.

https://vaccine.hse.ie/

This page here will be updated to mention 40 year olds the second registration is open. It also links to the registration page.

https://vaccine.hse.ie/

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

JPup wrote: »
    If you smoke 40 a day you’re likely to get cancer treatment before a non smoker too. I think you might be on to something here!

That's it, eat as much as possible, smoke as much as possible, drink as much as possible.

Basically don't give a hoop about how healthy you are and then expect a 'priority' to get a vaccine because you are a fat feck.

Great system that is.

utter bs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

scooby77 wrote: »
    So as a healthy (Afaik) 44 year old male, anyone put a case for why I should opt for Janssen vaccine over Pfizer/Moderna?
    Some info to help:
    I work in a school, but am admin, so not regular close contact with children
    My wife getting Pfizer 4th June ( tenuous cohort 7)
    All older/vulnerable close relatives fully vaccinated
    Intending to head abroad for a holiday in safe (low incidence)EU country TBC in August if legal
    I believe from my own reading here and elsewhere that mRna possibly " more future proof "(re variants)
    I'm in Sligo, where currently registration to Pfizer vaccine date seems to be less than a week

Well, to play Devil’s advocate, some are theorising that there is also a tiny possibility of myocarditis as a potential side effect of Pfizer, especially in males (though these tend to be under 40)

The CDC is once again investigating this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/23/cdc-studying-reports-of-heart-inflammation-in-young-covid-vaccine-recipients

The initial assessment was that rates of myocarditis post-vaccination are no different to background rates normally seen in the population. But myocarditis is generally caused by viral infection and there are far fewer “normal” viruses circulating. So there is a theoretical possibility of a link with the MRNA vaccines.

Advertisement