Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Just rock up, give your name and appointment time and you will be pushed through. Ideally everyone should arrive 5 mins before to make process smooth as possible but lots can't/won't so they are easy going most the time as they want jabs in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was initially to get the Moderna but had to cancel the appointment.

Getting the Pfizer vaccine instead on Sunday.

Any advantages of one over the other? Slim and healthy 49 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But the Delta variant was rampant in March! In India and soon to follow in UK. It hadn't hit here yet but surely we all understand by now that a rampant virus variant on the other side of the world will reach us, it's only a matter of how soon.

As for one dose of AZ and it's effectiveness only the HSE will have the figures and be able to analyse. I can only observe in my case that I haven't been hospitalised or very ill but have certainly experienced and still experience effects of same. Can only hope that they will clear in time, but my advice to anyone who bothers to read it, is that this is a virus best avoided. No matter how well vaccinated you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I sent a "New" message at 8:20 and got a new appointment text at 18:25. But it probably varies a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Pfizer takes less time to type out :) they're all incredibly effective. You're getting an mRNA vaccine too which is technology that will be responsible for some amazing scientific breakthroughs in the near future. Half jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I get your frustration and annoyance over this .

I know many colleagues who were left hanging for over 12 weeks ( some 16 ) waiting on a second dose while working front facing in hospitals and resorted to representation via the INMO .

I experienced a similar reaction that you are getting when I supported that frustration and the over 60s group were in the same or maybe worse position as they had no union to speak up for them.

Things are going so well now in the vaccination programme that nobody wants to hear any thing negative . It's such a relief to see things going in the right direction . Credit due to the HSE and everybody involved . It is a great achievement .

However the vaccination intervals were speeded up for many, too late for you unfortunately, and the vaccine is just as good effectively as the others despite the initial delays .

Hope you recover soon and you will probably be in the group that will have lifelong immunity with both vaccine and recovery from actual infection , which is a welcome bonus for what you have gone through .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Can't see why not myself either , unless you get a bit stressed or are fasting for the bloods ?

As long as you have something to eat between the bloods and the vaccine .

Or do they want to know your cell count before you get your jab ?

Best ones to ask would be whomever is ordering the blood test really ..

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The variant didn't just show up with it's characteristics and profile in hand. That data needed to be gathered. And even with my Captain Hindsight hat on, the Delta variant would have forced us to double-down on getting vaccinations down into the age groups (like we're doing now), so I really don't how knowing the data up front would have made us change course.

Do you realise that, even if you were fully vaccinated, you could still have caught Covid (albeit less of a chance, admittedly)? 1 dose drastically reduces your chance of death (provided you're not immunocompromised). So, if we extrapolate what you're actually saying is that, you think you deserved some additional protection before others got any at all. Because that would be the result of you winning your argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

In some ways, AZ will benefit you - apart from protection, if you get given a Pfizer or Moderna shot as second, your T and B cell memory is pretty much for life, if some of the studies are correct. You must be fed up and it feels unfair, but the decisions made were right for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Publicly interrogating a recovering COVID patient on a hospital bed and mocking him for having genuine safety concerns about a vaccine is a new low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't see any mocking from the reporter. The patient wanted to be interviewed, they can't air the interview without his permission.

It's pretty clear that this moron doesn't have safety concerns, he's just opposed to "big gubbermint shovin it down our throats". I can absolutely guarantee you that if Trump himself had personally endorsed the vaccine as the choice of all good Americans, this shitbrain would have been first in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

There are numerous studies that have been published against Delta - Both AstraZeneca and Pfizer do better than first initial results. Both giving protection against hospitalisation. I haven't seen enough about Moderna and Jansen yet.

If you recall, India did really well against the original strain and Alpha. Opened up and all was well, until the seeds of Delta appeared. Vaccinations were still at early stage, there - it wasn't known what was driving the transmission, - as in how fast it could spread. How much of a viral contact you needed and contact had to be. A number of super super spreading events, then wham. It was only later thru study was it found to be significantly easier to transmit.

Flight's and travellers from India direct and via other countries were continuing not just to the UK, but to various parts of the world including a number of other EU countries and to neighbouring countries' such as Turkey. Many people came into the EU via Tukey and into the UK, the same way never mind about directly. Arriving into Ireland by who knows. Delta was first confirmed in mid April in parts of mainland Europe. Portugal has a colonial connection with Goa. Data had to be captured, sequenced and studies, all of which takes precious time. Delta was in Ireland and other parts of Europe before it was 'confirmed' - primarily due virtually no sequencing - not enough is done by any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Here’s someone else that in no way was going to take the vaccine , seemed to think praying might be more effective. After this tweet he died :

Be like Scotty, he da man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I have only instanced my own experience of catching Covid whilst awaiting a second jab as an illustration that the choices made re vaccination programmes had consequences, it's not just a theoretical argument.

However I fully realise that these are general public health vaccination programmes - they are designed for population health, not individuals. Like cervical smear test screening which was designed to catch most potential cases, it wasn't ever a diagnostic tool suited for every individual.

That said, the stated objective/ timeline of the Covid vaccination programme was vulnerable first & health care workers and then so on downwards by general age group. This on the basis that the older you are, the more likelihood of more severe outcomes. When you look at in the round, it is apparent that citizens over 70 were promptly fully vaccinated and citizens under 60 and downwards were & are promptly vaccinated. Our daughter in her 20s got first vaccine a few days ago.

It's obvious that the chosen vaccination programme for citizens aged 60-69 fell a bit short. The only reason that we were allocated AZ vaccine with a planned 3 month gap between doses was because of our age - no other factor. You might have well decided that all boardsies with user names starting with the letters 'P' would get one vaccine and not another. For some reason a citizen aged 60 was considered not at any risk from the clot issue whilst someone aged 59 was. However even assuming both AZ and mRNA vaccines equally good and I'd happily accept that, the obvious flaw was the difference in time gap between doses. Which seems to have varied from 16 weeks to 4 weeks according to the needs of the vaccinating body and critically supplies. That time gap had implications that should have been understood fully both from a public health and political point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

No prizes for guessing your own thoughts on the vaccine lol

The lad in the video is an imbecile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Not sure this has been posted, but I remember a user saying we only went onto the under 30's/25's so fast due to poor vaccine uptake.

2 weeks ago uptake in the 30-39 was only 41%, it's now 76%. Also worth noting the uptake with 2nd doses are extremely high, especially within the 60-69 group, who many thought wouldn't go back for a second jab of AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

The USA seems to be doing itself proud at the Olympics for anti vaxxers.

100 of 613 US Olympic athletes are unvaccinated.

I guess they’re hoping nobody wants to be downwind from them…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Talk of vaccine hesitancy or vaccine scepticism in Ireland was a load of hot air. All of the indications are that take up is exceptionally high across all age cohorts, including young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

There’s an unfortunate tendency to base such things on American data and extrapolate for Ireland, which can be very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I suggested that it was possible that the rapid move onto under 25s might be due to moderate demand from 25-29 people. I suggested this as they just announced the U25 registration from tomorrow, not even from next Monday, it seemed quicker than I expected. However, I am very happy to be proved wrong.

On the bar chart above the 16-19 seems to be 31% and the 20-29 seems to be 45%, it is hard to reconcile these two numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vulnerable-children-over-12-may-be-next-in-line-for-vaccines-1.4629066

• Vaccine portal to open for 16 and 17 year olds next week.
    • NIAC decision on vaccination of 12-15 year olds next week.
    • Children with underlying conditions could be prioritised in 12-15 bracket.
    • If the NIAC approves a wider rollout for 12-15 year olds then appointments could be rolled out within weeks.

Hopefully the NIAC will approve a wider rollout for 12-15 year olds and as many as possible can be fully vaccinated before schools return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Strange? Not really, already well documented by government health services of other countries.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Someone posted a link earlier to worldwide vaccine stats, with the UAE at the top. Having spoken to someone who lives there, the stats don't represent the full picture however.

Now several months after being fully vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine, they have now had their first dose of Pfizer, with a second on the way. The official line is that as some countries don't recognise the Chinese vaccines for travel, they have to go again with Pfizer. The unofficial line is that the Chinese vaccines are not good enough.

The reality may be a combination of both reasons, but it's an interesting insight into the country at the top of the leader board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Will I get refused a vaccine if I tell them I have been out of the country in the previous 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

59,080 done yesterday

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-23-july-2021.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Up to 83% of adults (18+) with at least one dose and 68% fully vaccinated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Denmark close to over taking the UK. Ireland not far behind. Next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm going to be "immune" tomorrow, 2 weeks after my J&J. Now everyone around me bar my teenage brother is fully vaxxed. Hats off to the HSE, they are doing an outstanding job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Judging by the appointments thread and the daily numbers we could have all the over 18s with at least one dose by the end of July (of those that can be bothered).

I think that would put us at around 3.4m with at least one dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't really see the point in prioritising vulnerable 12-15 year olds. The entire age group is small enough to do in a few days even with high take up.

Maybe it's just a NIAC thing. They always seem to leave the decisions to the last possible moment.

Advertisement