Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have they started actually vaccinating Ages 49-45 as opposed to registering?
    Personally, I don't know anyone in this Group who has got it (apart from very/high risk or HCW). Youngest friend who has got it is 51 in Dublin.

Just see the appointments thread where there are quite a few in that cohort getting jabbed today/tomorrow if you go back a few pages. Cork and Limerick regions going faster than average it would seem, but now a bit of a lull before the next cohort as you know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Personally, I don't know anyone in this Group who has got it (apart from very/high risk or HCW). Youngest friend who has got it is 51 in Dublin.

I think it depends on part of the country. Lots of people in Cork in that age group seem to have been vaccinated. Several 45 year olds on other forum report that they will be vaccinated this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks. Husband and I both 49-45. North-East area.
    None of our friends in our Age Group locally done or elsewhere in the Country either tbf. (Apart from at risk/ HCW).
    But all of our aged 50+ friends in Dublin and elsewhere done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

They seem to be rattling through the 45-49 age groups in certain counties.

My sister got jabbed in Cork on Tuesday (registered Saturday age 47).

Work colleague got jabbed in Greystones on Tuesday as well (also registered Saturday, think he's 46). Would know a good few other late 40's lads in Wicklow who are going in to be done at various stages this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058184723

• Advertisement

Just wanted to say
    I've been up at Greystones MVC a few times now and the crowds every day,the joy and the enthusiam is powerful to see there ,it would make you proud
    As a country when we put our minds to it,we are Super

Just wanted to say
    I've been up at Greystones MVC a few times now and the crowds every day,the joy and the enthusiam is powerful to see there ,it would make you proud

A positive case here. Must be isolated before it spreads. Relentless negativity is what we want

Just wanted to say

My colleague said it was really well run. hope to be there myself in a week or two when the next batch of registrations open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A positive case here. Must be isolated before it spreads. Relentless negativity is what we want

Does this post not kinda add to the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

The 0.5% is calculated from real walk around time feeling great.
    We therefore know the number you're looking for. No need for further concern.

That sounds great so, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Good news for NI ... but why not 16+ rather than 18+?

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1397846176188272643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Does this post not kinda add to the problem?

Yep there are posters here who will have to find a new hobby when there is tumbleweed blowing around these threads.

celt262 wrote: »
    Yep there are posters here who will have to find a new hobby when there is tumbleweed blowing around these threads.

Much as I've found following the vaccine threads very interesting, I can't wait for that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

AdamD wrote: »
    Quite amazing really that outside of Pfizer we've been pretty consistently let down

In fairness, Moderna have been upfront about their deliveries since the start and have delivered as expected throughout.

Obviously, a much smaller amount than Pfizer, but still consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

There must be some evidence, the beauty of the french vaccine is that it uses the whole virus not just the spike protein which is said to protect against the variants, people who are naturally infected should also have the same benefits.

Is this is Sanofi GSK vaccine that is in phase trials at the moment ?

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Much as I've found following the vaccine threads very interesting, I can't wait for that day!
    The recent vaccine threads have turned into a bit of a quagmire because of merges and things that completely derailed the discussion, and to be honest, inadequate modding.

Good to see some of the resident experts posting again though, especially with the news about expected longevity of the IgM antibody response in vaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I wouldn’t necessarily see how a vaccine being the whole virus would be any better.

The spike protein approach is very, very focused on a complex and fundamental piece of the virus. The spike is like a key in a lock. The virus can’t easily make big changes to it and still be able to plug into ACE2 receptors.

With the whole virus you’re bringing in a lot of random. Your immune system strategy is potentially focused on things the virus could potentially easily change.

Also I’m not seeing how that it would deal with variants any better. There might be some chance it’s a more complex immunity but, let’s say your immune system is recognising some generic aspect of the virus that’s easy for it to change, then the immunity could be short lived.

The two mRNA vaccines have been producing results that are almost unprecedented in terms of vaccine efficacy.

I’m not really seeing how more traditional approaches are likely to be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Valneva are working on an inactivated whole virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just see the appointments thread where there are quite a few in that cohort getting jabbed today/tomorrow if you go back a few pages. Cork and Limerick regions going faster than average it would seem, but now a bit of a lull before the next cohort as you know already.

It's actually quite frustrating being early 40s in a region where vaccinations have been moving very swiftly. I have lots of friends a few years older than me who have been vaccinated in the last week and it's really, really starting to feel like they will actually run out of 45 year olds to vaccinate before the 44 year olds even register at this point. And the whole thing with Cork taking a a couple of days off feels like an attempt to slow down the faster regions to allow the slower regions to catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No the one Luke O'Neill was on about, the UK have 100 million dose on order of it gets approved.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-new-valneva-vaccine-could-be-a-big-one-in-protecting-against-covid-19-variants-1178427

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

iguana wrote: »
    And the whole thing with Cork taking a a couple of days off feels like an attempt to slow down the faster regions to allow the slower regions to catch up.

The productive must be punished with more work! :D

Give them a break. Literally. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lumen wrote: »
    The productive must be punished with more work! :D

Give them a break. Literally. :)

As someone who has managed a number of 7 day a week business premises in my life, I can guarantee you that everyone managed to get a break. At least a couple of days a week, even! It's how you manage sites. You hire enough staff to make sure all your hours are covered and everyone gets their time off. You don't decide during a pandemic that you suddenly just need to temporarily shut a vaccination centre because somehow everyone is due a few days off. If this really is about staff needing some time off, someone's head should roll for appalling planning.

On top of the Cork closure, at some point in the near future Limerick is going to be moving site. Because no-one thought that putting a vaccination centre in a private enterprise that would want to reopen once it was safe to do to might not be the best idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Germany are set to hit 60 vaccines per 100 by the end of the month. Incredible pace being set there. In fairness Ireland seem to have caught up to the middle of the pack and most western European countries are bunched at between 50 and 52 vaccines per 100. 20 EU countries are now over 50 vaccines per 100. Quite the turnaround from a few months ago.

I wouldn’t necessarily see how a vaccine being the whole virus would be any better.

The spike protein approach is very, very focused on a complex and fundamental piece of the virus. The spike is like a key in a lock. The virus can’t easily make big changes to it and still be able to plug into ACE2 receptors.

With the whole virus you’re bringing in a lot of random. Your immune system strategy is potentially focused on things the virus could potentially easily change.

Also I’m not seeing how that it would deal with variants any better. There might be some chance it’s a more complex immunity but, let’s say your immune system is recognising some generic aspect of the virus that’s easy for it to change, then the immunity could be short lived.

The two mRNA vaccines have been producing results that are almost unprecedented in terms of vaccine efficacy.

I’m not really seeing how more traditional approaches are likely to be better.
    Agreed, the evidence is that the virus is already well-adapted to the ACE2 receptor, and the spike protein target of the vaccines is demonstrably effective in dealing with all variants so far.

iguana wrote: »
    As someone who has managed a number of 7 day a week business premises in my life, I can guarantee you that everyone managed to get a break. At least a couple of days a week, even! It's how you manage sites. You hire enough staff to make sure all your hours are covered and everyone gets their time off. You don't decide during a pandemic that you suddenly just need to temporarily shut a vaccination centre because somehow everyone is due a few days off. If this really is about staff needing some time off, someone's head should roll for appalling planning.

On top of the Cork closure, at some point in the near future Limerick is going to be moving site. Because no-one thought that putting a vaccination centre in a private enterprise that would want to reopen once it was safe to do to might not be the best idea.

maybe its other reasons. cork seems well ahead of other regions. maybe they are moving supply to these regions were supply is less. manpower is not limiting factor here, supply is the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

Reid:

2.6M doses as of yesterday
    1.8M dose 1. 800k dose 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Between 304-314 thousand done last week according to Paul Reid.
    New plan submitted to minister for review based on NIAC advice.
    Referral pathway for cohort 4/7 is in place.

260-280k this week. 280-300k next week.

37 MVCs operational. New one in UCD next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pauldry

Apogee wrote: »
    Reid:

2.6M doses as of yesterday
    1.8M dose 1. 800k dose 2.

Around 3.75m adults

So 1.5m more dose 1 to do at most as a lot wont get vaccine so could be even less

and about 2.5m dose 2 but again even more wont bother with 2nd dose so could be 2m more of those tops.

"Only" 3.5m vaccines left to be administered then.

Advertisement